Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Job security
Utility Plant Operator/ machanic (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon, PADecember 7, 2018
Worked as a correctional officer for 11 years then transferred to maintenance, both are stressful jobs because of the environment. Always watching what goes on around you. Some management are alright to work with and for, while others will lie and kick you under the bus just to get ahead. Benefits are good retirement is good if you put the time in. Twenty five years and five prisons later it was time to retire. You meet a lot of different people so you will get along will and some you will not but remember going home at the end of your watch is what matters.
Pros
Benefits, pay, job security
Cons
start at the bottom, stress, and environment
Fast paced - not for everyone
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Monroe, WADecember 31, 2018
This job is not for everyone. A typical day at work can be very slow and boring, or it could end up being very fast, and horrible depending on what goes on daily. I have learned that each department has their own language and that hampers peoples ability to communicate effectively which gives off the air that no one cares about each other when in fact, they do. The hardest part of my job is dealing with staff. Many different ways to communicate, but none seem to be effective. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I serve as a positive role model for incarcerated individuals, and I enjoy watching them change, and grow and decide to get out of the life of a convict and actually become successful upon re-entry. I also enjoy my co-workers very much.
Pros
Awards, great benefits, paid days off
Cons
other Staff, management
Underpaid and not appreciated.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJanuary 6, 2019
The department has not had a pay raise in 13 years, and does not provide you with a uniform. The benefits are great but you are paying for them, it takes more than a third of your paycheck. The supervisors are backstabbing and lazy and do not have your back or care about you at all. In this department its the "good old boy" system. If you don't know someone or know someone who knows someone you will not get anywhere in this department.
Pros
free inmate food
Cons
No breaks, underpaid, overworked, understaffed, and not appreciated.
Not a bad employer
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Madison FloridaOctober 25, 2018
I had a great training experience. The work is not as difficult it was more of management and staff. I would recommend because of job security and benefits.
Pros
Salary start is ok
Cons
Never know your hours
Professional
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 5, 2018
I enjoyed working in the Department of Corrections. As a certified Correctional Officer there are many incentives and also opportunity for advancement.
Pros
good 401K
Law enforcement
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 24, 2018
Long hours, career advancement available, post certified peace officer, training available, benefits available, experience for law enforcement, rotating shift
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Stressful
Very supportive supervisor, manager and co-workers.
Correctional Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTOctober 30, 2018
Very fast paced environment seeing several clients a day. Potentially a dangerous environment. Good to Excellent benefits, Co-workers. Upper administration can be difficult. Lots of job security.
Pros
Job security, leave time, benefits, co-workers.
Cons
Little to no advancement opportunities.
I would not work here again
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pierre, SDNovember 28, 2018
I worked for DOC for almost 9 years and would not prefer to work for them again. The culture was less than enjoyable. Often the staff were not respectful of one another and creating change was a difficult task
Pros
Made own schedule
Cons
Moving up is difficult unless you are friends with management
Very high stress
Co 1 (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 6, 2018
My day at my job could always be my last so you have to stay on alert when dealing with offenders. I wish my management believed more in us as officers and backed us up more. This job can be very stressful at times but being with my fellow officers and protecting the community is really huge to me.
Benefits
Cons
The DOC requires you to have a job. They pay you pennies a day. It is slave labor.
Braille transcriber, maintenance, floor care. (Former Employee) –  Newton and Fort Dodge, IADecember 24, 2018
The Department of Corrections has become a total "for profit" organization. They maintain the facilities through the use of forcing the inmates to do everything, for very little compensation. The "benefits" that I listed, are there regardless, because they have to provide them anyway. The Department of Corrections is no "correcting" anything. And, they do not "rehabilitate" or "improve" the men that are there. When an inmate leaves, it is very likely he will return, because he is not helped in a way that will teach him to improve himself, and become a positive and productive member of society. They should change the name of the agency from The Department of Corrections, to the Department of Criminal Recycling.
Pros
Shorty commute to work, often in the same building
Cons
No future in it.
Okay plsce if you are a person of color, if not your isolated
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint Gabriel, LANovember 7, 2018
I was a minority and was treated as so, they made me miserable until I left. I did enjoy the shift work, location and stable job as long as you went to work and followed the rules, it's not hard.
Pros
Schedule, benefits
Cons
Management, abuse of inmates, favoritism
Protect community from offenders and maintain security of the building.
Residential Officer (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 30, 2018
A typical day I would check offenders in the building after work, job seeking, treatment, or whatever reason they may have left the building. I would conduct pat downs and perform Breath Analysis. We were also required to check in medication and administer prescribed medication to offenders. We performed Urine Analysis randomly and conducted room searches regularly without announcement. We also held hearings, listened to testimony and evaluated any evidence presented, and made judgements accordingly. We wrote reports on offenders and was required to testify in court if needed.
Pros
Great benefits with possible upward mobility.
Cons
No ability to start on 1st shift those positions go to seniority.
Can be a great place to work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CADecember 5, 2018
Great place to start a career
There’s a whole lot of training
You work with many people from
All walks of life and from different cultures
The work is always challenging but very rewarding
Pros
Learn amazing people skills
Cons
Not for everybody
It's challenging on a daily basis
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mangilao, GUJanuary 15, 2019
I always prepare myself for the next work day, however, it never works. I learned to be able to multi task when the demand of work is requested. I also learned how to handle the stress level and no matter what, I always handle situations in a professional manner. I learned that I had to lead by example to the rest of the staff in order to become a team player. The culture of the workplace is that we respect each other and work as a team. The hardest part is the shortage of staff and not enough funding to hire administrative personnel. I enjoy what I do, and I always look forward to coming to work.
Pros
Hours are flexible
Cons
Shortage of staff
A stressful place to work with poor leadership
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARNovember 15, 2018
The workplace culture is not good. The moral is low and the work environment is stressful due to management not being properly trained.
The positive part about the job is that you receive training with weapons.
excellent for detail oriented person
Correctional Case Records Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 7, 2019
Correctional case records analyst is a very challenging position. Many procedures change as the law changes. There is no room for error. Management is helpful.
Pros
many benefits
Cons
long commute
great place to work
Fire Alarm Specialist and Tool Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 4, 2018
great place to work room for advancement and work opportunites ar great also have great benefits dental and medical employee moral is high and overtime is available
Needs better system
Correctional Officer 1 (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma city, OKNovember 8, 2018
Includes a lot of pat downs and searches; paperwork and long hours if co workers don't show up; good healthcare and benefits; have to do security checks multiple times a shift
Pros
free meals
Cons
can be a lot of paperwork
stressful
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Buckeye, AZJanuary 12, 2019
Stressful environment, but fun sometimes, enjoyed the days of management were not that good and the salary was not enough compared to what we usually do and risk our lives.
Pros
days off
Cons
management
Supervisory skills.
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 5, 2018
A typical day is given direct orders to inmates who have nine months of booth camp. I learned that everyone have a story of their journey but you have to respond and keep focus. Management job can be hard but I thought they did it well knowing the responsibilities. The hardest part is not crying when a story is told but direct and supervise everyone have to keep moving and not looking behind because your focus might be left behind. I enjoyable knowing how to cope with different situtations.
Pros
Coping Skills
Cons
Stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Corrections Reviews by Location