Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

A very good place to work. Stay busy and fun people
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Perry, FloridaOctober 19, 2018
Be willing to learn, you will need to be there every day. You work as a team. The group i work for at Taylor CI was the best, they would help you with anything.
Pros
Great people, benifits
Na
Basic Education Service, Volunteer Service (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTOctober 16, 2018
I did my internship at the Correctional dept. and I had a great time and experience a lot about the justice system and the prison. you don't want to spend a night there.
Pros
3 hots and a pot.
Cons
Being behind bars.
stress
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Ridgeville, SCOctober 14, 2018
I rather not talk about it just know it comes with a lot. I hold an oath with the department so I must up hold it until I leave the department. I will say have faith.
Pros
nothing
Cons
no breaks
Custodial Work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INOctober 12, 2018
I learned valuable skills in custodial work. I learned the proper chemicals to use for sanitation, disinfecting, and general clean-up. I also learned about working around people in public who weren't employees.
Career
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  QueensOctober 11, 2018
Learning experience fast pace environment teaches structure patience a good job to learn law enforcement you will learn to work with people with different types of mental issues
College Aide and Banking Operations, Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
Great collaboration and teams. The culture was ok and a great people to work with. Management was great in the department where I was, for the short time there, overall experience was great.
it was a job
industrial instructor III (Former Employee) –  Walpole, MAOctober 2, 2018
I retired because of 29+ years, was tired of working behind wall. Looking for a change , work with people , The DOC was fine job to have while bringing up a family
Pros
pay and benifits
Cons
working in a prison
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Powhatan, VAOctober 2, 2018
The job was very highly stressful. We dealt with inmates on a regular basis so security was the number one priority. What I learned as a medical assistant is that the need for client-centered services in the department of corrections is not feasible due to the incarceration.
Pros
pay
Cons
risky
typical days work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VASeptember 27, 2018
I woked at female institution ,learned to listen to numerous stories,and complaints.management was sufficient, hardest part of day,seeing children leave mothers
Very Morose environment Harassment of others allowed.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WASeptember 23, 2018
An US vs Them environment Line Staff Labor representatives administration non representative creating a non equal working enviorment.
any admin staff hired immediately has mon- fri weekends off..... not so for staff only a dozen line staff have weekends off..
Pros
retirement after 65 if you live that long.
Cons
an alarming number of officers die before reaching retirement.
A very complex and sometimes difficult job.
Correctional Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Bibb County, ALSeptember 20, 2018
Security, Custody and Control of the daily inmate function inside a level 4 prison.

To follow the policy of the Department of Corrections

The workplace culture is very diverse.

The different attitudes of the inmates.

To change the criminal mentality of an inmate, helping them to become a productive part of society.
Keeping all areas clean
Cleaning Crew (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
A normal day is just keeping all areas clean and using industrial equipment. Using protective gear well and make sure there are appropriate signs for safety.
Pros
learned something new
Long working hours
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Mangilao, GUMay 29, 2018
Working at the department requires an individual to work long hours throughout the day. Many countless hours are spent away from family and friends. Dedication is a must while working at the department.
Department of Corrections Guam
Corrections Officer II (Current Employee) –  Department of Corrections GuamJuly 6, 2017
This is great place to work. It can be very difficult and extremely challenging. Working and trying to raise a family can be tough. I believe in the values and mission of the Department and work towards those goals daily.
Fast pace, keeping composure, safety and security at all times
Corrections Officer I (Current Employee) –  GuamMay 29, 2017
You have to love the job to appreciate it. Must have a good mind set and keep good composure at all times. Staying awake for countless hours to provide safety and security.
Production and experience with the incarcerated individuals
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 26, 2017
This has been a well experience for me and learning the system of corrections. A life lesson of the system and dealing with those incarcerated.The everyday process of the individuals daily routine and understanding the outcome and risks my other workers endure daily.
rehabilitation of offenders
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  south africa western cape helderstroom prisonJanuary 20, 2017
a typical day at work consist of escourting of offenders to court if booked if not then work within the units with offenders giving them their daily 10 minute showers,their 1hour exercise dependant on weather conditions,assisting offenders with complaints and requests,routine searching of contraband and other illegal items.I have learned to be calm in difficult situations and principles regarding rehabilitation of offenders.I work with people of different races and we work as one united team with one goal of which is rehabilitation of offenders.The hardest part of the job is seeing one of your colleagues being injured by an offender.The best part of this job is knowing when you have rehabilitated an offender.Change is possible.
benefits
Cons
member safety
Steady Work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Coastal State PrisonOctober 2, 2015
Work enviroment is fast paced . No day was the same. Promotions were based on who you know not what you know . Still loved my job.
Pros
job security benefits
Cons
no breaks
It was an exciting work place.
Guard (Former Employee) –  Barrigada, GUJuly 8, 2015
I conducted a lot of search and seizure with inmates, Guard's and visitors alike, with the use of metal detector's K-9's and physical body cavity, we did a lot of external patrols and maintained our central command via radio, cell phone's and motorolla two-way iconnect devices. I learned that no matter how hard I tried I was always viewed in a negative manner by inmates and visitor's.
Management made the environment as equipped as possible always ensuring that everything was at our disposal, my co-worker's made a positive environment out of a negative one.
the hardest part of my job was the negative overview from inmates and visitors, and what I enjoyed the most was knowing I was making a difference.
Pros
meals where provided and we had paid leave.
Cons
breaks where minimum, but we new why.
lots of time to get things done correctly
Custodian (Former Employee) –  multipal locationsApril 8, 2015
buffing striping, and waxing floors. Sanitation in kitchen and hospital. Bio hazard clean up. Install furniture and other items in schools, colleges, government buildings and nonprofits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about