Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,240 reviews matching the search See all 1,584 reviews
Corrections Officer
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Maury, NCJuly 22, 2018
a typical day you would guard and escorts inmates to and from different areas of the prison. Assist other officers to settle disputes. Protect Inmates from other Inmates and protect state property.
Very fast paced and stressful
Correctional Case Manager I (Current Employee) –  Taft, OKJuly 20, 2018
Working in a prison there is never a day where you can predict what will happen. You must be able to multi-task, have problem solving skills, have very good listening skills and be able to produce and react under high stress.
Pros
Free lunches, paid sick and annual leave, paid healthcare
Cons
Upper administration attitudes
work
Aide in rehabilitation and counseling of offenders (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, NYJuly 19, 2018
it was ok cant complain great people and your coworkers have your back. i love the atmosphere feels like your not at work and that your with family. great place to start a carreer.
Pros
great people great leaders
Cons
inmates can write you up for a lie
Correctional Officer
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, FLJuly 18, 2018
Being a correctional Officer is a great position for someone who wants to get in the door in the law enforcement field. You will have to work alone at times and there is always room for overtime and advancement in this field. The Dept. of Corrections will sponsor you to go through an academy at no cost to you as long stay there for at least two years. At the conclusion of your academy you will have to take an FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) exam after you pass you will then become a certified correctional officer.
It was a job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Crawfordville, FLJuly 16, 2018
It was a job. Poor managers as well as stressful. I did enjoy working with inmates in order to try to help them change their life. Most personnel didn't allow employees to do this.
Pros
I loved employee appreciation week and the holidays.
Cons
Poor working conditions and management.
Good place to work for
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 15, 2018
Enjoyed working for the department it was a learning experience for me had a good trainer overall had a good supervisor and coworkers I would do it again if the opportunity arises had a lot of fun
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Short staffed
Good place to work depending on the job
Fire & Safety Manager State of Michigan (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 13, 2018
I really enjoy my job and the autonomy it presents. I have a great boss that lets you do your job. I enjoy the challenges and problem solving that is required. My job is a good balance between office and outdoors.
Pros
The variety of challenges
Cons
Lack of promotional opportunity
Amazing work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 10, 2018
Doing daily duties, learn new programs, management was amazing, commucaition was the key the to workplace culture, the hardest part of the job was dealing with hostile parloees. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing my job well.
Pros
chance to advance to higher positions
Cons
only 30 mins for lunch
Fast paced, sometimes hostile environment
Correctional Community Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJuly 9, 2018
Checked on work sites and clients,prepared statistical reports from program database. Performed intake and assessment interviews for court ordered participants. Maintained client base files and perform various other administrative tasks. Learned how to perform background checks. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with clients who were trying to comply and turn their lives around in a positive way.
Pros
The rehabilitation
Cons
too many repeat offenders
A stepping stone
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Morgan County, TNJuly 9, 2018
Great place to learn how to deal with different types of people.
Has a atmosphere of brotherhood and family.
Can move up in the department fairly quickly in rank.
Great Job
Probation and Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNJuly 9, 2018
Outstanding place to work. Full days , 37.5 hour work week, no overtime. Working with the poorest members of society who choose not to well for themselves and need supervision. Allot of reports need to be completed sometimes off the clock.
not a graet place to work
Lead Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Jessup, MDJuly 9, 2018
working at the Department of Corrections was the worst, I really didn't like it there but had no choice. never will I go back again. all and all ,I hated it
Fast-paced environment with hard-working professional staff
Office Technician (typing) (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAJuly 8, 2018
I enjoy my job at CDCR, this is the state-wide mental health headquarters unit made up of executives, psychiatrist, psychologist, and social workers. Everyone in this unit is very professional and dedicated. The work at my current level is as support staff, but I am looking for work in communications, P.R. graphic design.
Pros
Easy commute from home and free parking
Cons
Advancement in my chosen field is limited
Dreary, lackluster performance
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 7, 2018
The management is pretty awful. The good people have left, and you have most sticking around until their retirement date. The longest you probably want to stay at this agency is two years. DOC Oregon also has a terrible reputation, just Google.
Pros
good insurance, 40 hour work week
Cons
you can't trust anyone, rumor mill atmosphere, constantly under suspicion.
I have work for doc for 17 years I enjoy it
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perry, FL 32348July 4, 2018
I enjoy working for DOC. I have work at several camps. I was state for five years and have been through privitizationing four times. I will continue to work with dept of corrections until something comes along which will allow me to work less hours
Pros
flexible hours for my children
Cons
works through hurricane season
Psychological Specialist (Former Employee) –  Florida State PrisonJuly 4, 2018
The work was stressful and quick paced but the mental health employees were very professional. You could count on people lending a hand if you needed it. MY job as case manager was to see inmates where they were being housed. IN addition to case management, I did therapy. I was then placed on the emergency team and saw inmates who were in crisis. While other mental health employees were very enjoyable to work with correctional officers were not. They were often rude and treated mental health workers and inmates disrespectfully and unethically. A professional person had to develop a thick skin to work there but overall it was a good gig.
Pros
Benefits were excellent
Cons
Stressful environment
secure environment
corrections communications operator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 3, 2018
The job itself was interesting to learn about, training was somewhat helpful, as far as hours, if you have a family or any other responsibilities , the schedules they provide can take a toll on you. work environment was decent, sometimes can be unprofessional but overall as long as you keep to yourself and do your work, the hours can go by. Pay is pretty good and the overtime hours definitely is worth it.
Pros
pay
Cons
short breaks
The department of corrections is a good place to work for
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Waupun, WIJune 30, 2018
I was responsible to keep inmates safe and secure. I was dealing with a lot of racism. I made sure the inmates followed the rules and regulations. Having one hundred male inmates on a housing unit with 50 cells with two individuals per cells was complicated at first. I enjoyed my job until the unnecessary racism started, I felt like I was targeted.
not a bad place to work
Correctional Officer III (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 29, 2018
ok job. show up on time and do what your told. I don't want to wright this review. indeed is making me. I just want to apply to jobs, without all this extra bs.
Dedication
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Douglas, AZJune 28, 2018
Maintain security within prison system. Accountability was a must, conduct counts through out shift, controlled moves. Worked towers answer phone calls and accountability of firearms
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Flexible