Department of General Services

Department of General Services Employee Reviews

Great place to learn
The flexible hours and on the job training allows you to learn about commercial real estate by helping Real Estate Officers and appraisers with their workload.
Good company to work for. Management is ok. The job is not a hard job. They have employees appreciation days. You learn how to work with all kinda people and attitudes
Nepotism exists and incompetent management
The company does not reward hard work and qualifications rather who you know.lack of flexibility from the management is a great deterrence to delivery of service.
great starting out job for someone without a lot of responsibility
great starting out opportunity for someone just entering the work force. just not a lot of room for growth within, depending on which department you choose to work in
Enjoyable place to work
my jobs helps me learn knew things on a daily basis
the job can be challenging

offers training

good benefits

good pay

clean and safe work environment

helpful staff
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Job is 24/7
24/7 job, management changes often. Job and be frustrating and challenging. Things changes all the time and promotions within the organization are not always based on knowledge and skills, but on favoritism and who know who. Job can be fun at times, but is more frustrating now than fun. Many of the staff is overworked and people are leaving due to not feeling appreciated.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
High turnover
Productive and very hands on work environment
I loved the fast paced work environment! Very productive year round work in the HVAC department. Tending to all of the government facilities in the DC area from schools to office buildings, delivering air filters, heaters, portable AC units.
My team and I work well together
I work with a great group of folks. Recently I was sick and my coworkers were there for me all the way. I enjoy working with the tenants in my buildings.
Not for me
Its a nice place to work but you can't sit down . you only get 5 smoke break and a 30min lunch .
they treat people like slaves. They walk behind like your little kids to see if you are sitting down

they have doing multiple jobs when they have enough people and then let's go on and on.
Pros
Have good benefits
Cons
Want you to be on your feet all night
Good place just to start in dc government
Get in and get the experience only in my opinion unless you're related to someone or in a relationship with someone you will move forward in the agency then.
Benefits
Cons
Management violates civil rights
Good people to work with
Working in Building, grounds, recreation center, schools, shelters of the District of Columbia. Law Enforcement of DC laws and regulation. Patrol of military installation.Working concerts, events and special assignments.
Pros
Compensation Leave, holiday pay
Cons
Management instability
Depends upon your boss
Managers do what they want and HR backs them. Totally depends on how well you get along with your managers. Appears to have nothing to do with work performance
It was not a fast paced environment
I've learned a lot about how to develop process flow but folks in the Department of General Service were not tech savvy. They were nice to work with especially department director.
State of Maryland
The Department of General Services is a department within Maryland State Government. DGS Maryland Capitol Police was and outstanding employer. I had the age and years in to retire. In November, 2018 I retired.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Heavy Work Load
Nice place to work, comfortable environment
Great manager, work was done self supervision. Supervisor has 100% confidence in his employees. You get your work order then go out and complete the job.
This is a state government position
Working with architects and engineers on a daily basis was gratifying. I looked forward to going to work each day. my position called for me to work side-by-side with the engineers and architects that needed administrative support with their state-owned properties that they over saw.
Pros
Employees control their advancement and promotions by testing
Cons
Can't think of anything
I enjoyed working at the Department of General Services
This position was temporary and the work was not hard at all. My supervisor was helpful and taught the team a lot. The hardest part of the job was working outside when it was really cold. The most enjoyable part of bonding and learning from my other co-workers and the management team. I was hoping to become permanent at this job but there were no opportunities available. We started the workday early 6:50am and ended after 3pm. A typical day consisted of the team working hard and taking breaks and lunch as assigned.
Pros
Flexible Work Life Balance
Cons
This job was temporary
Department of General Services was a department that assisted other departments within Health and Rehabilitative Services.
The Department of General Services was a department that assisted other departments within the agency. All purchasing, supplies, mail sorting and inventory flowed throughout our department. We were a small department with each employee specializing in a particular area. Even though we were a busy department we still took time to enjoy each others company.
Pros
Department picnics and good benefits.
Cons
I can't think of any.
out in about in the city
fast paced great palace to be out about in the city always something different. and great coworkers and management. you get to view different places new poeple and see what the city has to offer.
Pros
great place to work, great coworkers
Cons
must work in changing tempatures out side
N/a
Management in this company was very unfair and played favoritism. I was out sick for a couple of months and when I came back to work I was moved to the graveyard shift and told either I work it or have no job and that I was not allowed to return to my original shift because there was a new employee who quit her previous job to come to this one. I felt that was wrong with the fact being that I did have seniority.
Pros
Open 24 Hours
Cons
No Room For Advancement
DGS is a Diverse Department
I loved working for DGS. Some of the people are intresting. DGS is a DC Governmet job and it has paid vacation and health benefits.

At time the Agency would have fun activities for the agency as a whole. such as family day / cook outs.
Pros
government insitives
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of General Services. Our community is ready to answer.