Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews

Over worked and under paid
Medical Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 13, 2018
This is a good place for someone who doesn’t need the job to be there sole sorce or income. I don’t have anything else to say about this at this time.
Pros
Not working weekends
Cons
Short lunches
The environment
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 12, 2018
It was good money and the hours were flexible. The employees were friendly and I loved the fact I had weekends off. I wish the contract had made me permanent.
Pros
Good staff and money
Cons
Not a permanent guarantee
Decent work environment, co-workers, and supervisors but low pay.
Family Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHNovember 10, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of Interviewing clients, managing my caseload which included between 700-850 clients, and answering customer service calls from client's and other agencies. I learned various State and Federal Policies and Procedures about state and federal benefits and how to interview client's in a one-on-one environment both over the phone and in person. Our management team make themselves available for any questions or complicated problems. They advocate for their workers during ever during constant policy changes and procedural changes. For the most part you work independently, however having a statewide caseload allows co-workers to work on eachother's caseloads; which is done on a regular basis. The hardest part of the job is keeping track of all the changes that occur to our policies and procedures. You must remain organized and maintain current documentation of all changes. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people and providing the best customer service possible.
Pros
Job security, helping people
Cons
low pay
I was sequestered
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 9, 2018
It was an honor to be chosen as a Project Manager on the Affordable Care Act process, but when I found out there were issues I was released from duty and I think that is enough to say about that.
It was work
ADMIN II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 8, 2018
The newer manager did not like me. She denied me from going up (a job)in the office due to the fact (only one person) was filing, and behind on the issue. It was a hostel work place as well, my manager's boss refused to do anything about it.
My Manager was second to none, very encouraging and supportive!
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  ACF - Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2018
My overall employment with DHS was better than my expectations. The Manager was very helpful and empowering. Appreciative of the many teachable moments created.
Pros
Great Management and diverse duties and lots of teachable opportunities created.
Cons
Contractual
Pruductive
Agency Budget Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 5, 2018
The company is government and is good to work for. I am working contractually but is looking for permanent employment. Bu being a government agency you must be famI liar with state regulations and statutes.
Health and Human Services
Mental Health Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 4, 2018
The job with brutal, hard to deal with patients, add on stress of everyday responsibility. Stress was the word that glue to your mind everyday. You don't know what you're dealing with everyday, whether you will have a bad or good day.
Pros
Brutal work, stressful
Cons
redirectional care
Nice place to work and people are great
IT Procurement (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 1, 2018
Good work balance environment. Team members work well together. Management is very easy to talk too. Benefits are very affordable and work well for my family.
Great Memories
Health Facilities Surveyor Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 28, 2018
Love every minutes of it and more. Great team to work with and never dull. Love the travel all over Nebraska and my team members were awesome and caring.
Pros
Plenty
Cons
Like the flexible schedule offered.
Accounting Technician III (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 24, 2018
Company on a whole is great organization, the team is a great group too. I enjoyed the work I do and I like being able to working a flexible schedule.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Micromanagement
Program Analyst/Procurement Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 3, 2018
Good place to work. Nice staff, good work life balance.
Good benefits, retirement plan, health insurance, life insurance, dental and vision.

Opportunities for advancement.
Happy to have gained significant expirience
Leave Coordinator (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDAugust 29, 2018
Provide customer service, manage medical leave/absences, workers compensation/job injuries. FML, ADA and OSHA. Document case record and make recommendation for corrective actions.
My department is great, but overall management is terrible
Medical Records Assistant (Current Employee) –  Danville, PAJuly 11, 2018
Higher up management is terrible, causing very low morale. Patients are continuously attacking staff. There seems to be no communication between management and workers.
I would rather not comment.
Auditor GS 9 (Current Employee) –  Worthington, OHJune 14, 2018
I would rather not comment. I did not have an enjoyable experience with this agency. I don't fully agree with their business practices. That's why I'm looking for new employment.
lots of home visits and follow up work
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Warm Springs, ORJune 12, 2018
exploring the life o native americans on reservation environment; dealing with mental health and substance abuse issues; serving on child abuse and elder abuse teams.
Pros
independent work style
Worked at the State level
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Lunas, NMJune 7, 2018
I worked for the State of NM Department of Health and Human Services. In my specific capacity with this agency it was hit and miss. All in all, working for a government organization has huge perks. However, in New Mexico, there was a lot of nonsense. What with coordinators at the agency giving some preferential treatment for family, and it went unpunished when reported. With that said, I received amazing health benefits and still a fair share of advancement opportunities.
Pros
Advancement, great skills to bring to the private sector, and it's government work!
Cons
In my experience in NM, there's a lot of favoritism and stepping over people.
Great work schedule and interesting work.
Consumer Product Safety Commission (Former Employee) –  Hope, ARMay 27, 2018
Great people used for training and development. The group is outstanding for what they do and they heiarchys actually treat you as a friend to create a nice wellbeing
Pros
Work at your own time
Cons
Work every day
Talking to many people
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMMay 19, 2018
Its fun would love to make it my career. Got a long with clients very well. Learned a lot of stuff I did not know I knew. Getting up really excited to go to work
Pros
Weekend off
Cons
N/a
Bad place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMMay 16, 2018
They are a very stressful place and the training is horrible! They expect you to know everything in one day. I personally hated working there. I would go home in a bad mood everyday because of the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Health and Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Health and Human Services Reviews by Location