Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews

Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 14, 2019
Great place to work fast pace environment, fun place to work working together to help others by providing coverage to client the needed care and coverage.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Not being able to help some clients
Needed a change
Program Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 10, 2019
This job is just not right for me. I need more time during the week off. There is a lot to learn, it just needs to be more consistent from one worker to another.
Intersting missoin
Division Director and Competition Advocate (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJanuary 10, 2019
Typical work day begins with general overview of matters which may impact my staff and information overview from my senior leaders usually starts my day. I meet and greet each staff member to ascertain if there is any information I have to provide my senior leadership which impact on-going or potential issues.
Pros
Keeps me apprised of potential land mines
no training
Staff Supervisor / Youth and Family Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NEJanuary 4, 2019
No training provided but the expectation is for you to "learn as you go" yet there is no one to guide you doing so. When asked for assistance co-workers were very unfriendly and told you to figure it out yourself.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no training
Love this job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Darlington, SCDecember 31, 2018
I absolutely love this job and the people that I work with. The only thing I don't like is the lack of being permanent. I am working through a temp agency so the perdition is temp. You can apply for job opening within the company but there is no guarantee that you will get hired.
Pros
Very pleasant work environment
Cons
Poor pay
The pay is great
Benefits /Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 29, 2018
Honestly, the pay Is so good that it's hard to leave. The environment is toxic and the management aren't honest or good people. They are very cut throat and create a hostile work environment. It's disheartening. The clients that we serve deserve so much more.
Pros
great money, benefits
Cons
You trade your health and quality of life for $
I enjoyed helping my clients and working with my peers.
INTAKE/ONGOING WORKER (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 21, 2018
A typical day began by running morning reports to determine what pending applications needed to be addressed first and then how else to prioritize the rest of the morning. Messages were retrieved and returned. Walk-ins were seen as required, as were training attended or done online. Prior employment with the State covered time period of 4/15/81-7/8/81 when laid off. Called back 8/28/83-8/28/86 left and relocated to St Louis MO Returned 8/28/89 and retired 8/27/18 . There has been a steady decline in management support of the staff whenever there were problems with clients. This statement is not made lightly but based on over 30+years of experience. This was often the hardest part of the job. When a worker has policy to back up decisions made and then management doesn't back the worker because the client calls and complains repeatedly this is very discouraging for workers. For myself, knowing that I made my clients happy, made me happy. The fact that it also satisfied the goals' the State had for me as far as job performance was almost secondary.
Pros
Insurance benefits, ability to help people
Cons
Lack of management backup/appreciation. Undue/unfair stress
Get ready for stress!!
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 20, 2018
People are complaining as soon as they walk in the door. It is very cliquish. A great amount of bullying. Constant threat of being fired. Hostile. Not
Pros
Making money
Cons
Office snitches.
Stressful environment
Disability Examiner (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 18, 2018
They do not account for time off. Whether it's vacation or sick time, you are expected to do the same amount of work if you were actually there. The management makes promises and statements they do not carry through on.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Management sucks
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20201December 15, 2018
Day to day I have learned great executive skills. Enjoyed managing travel (domestic and international). Excited to work with great people in a good environment.
Pros
Enjoying sfaftt
Cons
Temporary position
Na
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 15, 2018
A typical day starts at 8:00 am. There are duties that you need to attend to. You have deadlines to meet. You are expected to provide 8 hours of work.
Inbound Social Service Worker
Social Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Fremont, NE 68025December 12, 2018
Don't use your sick days or vacation. The workload is crazy and the stat quotes were impossible. You have to be with the in crowd and be able to talk about other in order to keep your job. You are not allowed to print anything what so ever due to there being a paper freeze. You are not allowed to go to HR, if you do they tell the managers and then you are talked about.
Pros
Training
Cons
No overtime
Don't
Human Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 5, 2018
Work becomes routine. They unleashed cases on a daily basis. Your are working against systems and micromanaged. Wage gap is unbelievable. Currently seeking employment elsewhere
great people to work with
Lobby Assistant (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDDecember 4, 2018
great people to work with
competitive
management is understanding and great
workplace culture is fair
job gets overwhelming at times seeing the people in need/hard to see
helping people
Pros
free lunches and I can accrue leave
Cons
only on contract and no paid holidays
Nothing to say
Compliance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 1, 2018
I dont much to say about any of the jobs I have worked for. I am writing this review because it is required by indeed. I didnt find much enjoyable about the jobs.
Fulfilling job, administrative is corrupt
Permanency Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MENovember 29, 2018
Hard job, fulfilling job, the administration is not very good and not based on work performance but who you are friends with. A lot of work and need good organizational skills
Supervisors were dishonest
Criminal Background Unit Investigator (Former Employee) –  Administrative AssistantNovember 25, 2018
People spent many hours gossiping about other employees and not all employees were held to the same standard. Supervisor was sexist and work was not appreciated.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Skipped breaks and lunches and supervision was lacking
Job Development
Case Management Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 15, 2018
Typical Workday: 9am until 5pm
I learned to appreciate diversity
Management has their favorites
Culture varies from day to day depending on the mood of the leadership team
Over worked and under paid
Medical Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 13, 2018
This is a good place for someone who doesn’t need the job to be there sole sorce or income. I don’t have anything else to say about this at this time.
Pros
Not working weekends
Cons
Short lunches
The environment
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 12, 2018
It was good money and the hours were flexible. The employees were friendly and I loved the fact I had weekends off. I wish the contract had made me permanent.
Pros
Good staff and money
Cons
Not a permanent guarantee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Health and Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.