Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Found 2,384 reviews matching the search See all 2,400 reviews
Lots of travel, help people
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20472July 16, 2018
Work is flexible. I traveled with little notice. Most of my work was outdoors, but there are many positions that are indoors. Your are there to help the people, but FEMA takes care of its employees.
Pros
Allowance for meals, rental car
Cons
Away from family while deployed
Tsa
Transportation Safety Federal Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 16, 2018
This was a unique experience that i enjoyed. In the area i was in, there was not much room for advancement. I enjoyed my co workers and management. I would love to work here again in a different role.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Lack of protection for employees
New opportunities
Program Manager, GS-13 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20229July 15, 2018
During my 25 year military career, I was able to move 14 times which enabled me to be a better resource manager; working at HQ-DHS was extremely rewarding/challenging; even though I did several site visits my interactions within CBP was extremely limited.
Pros
Excellent co-workers.
Cons
Redundant tasking.
It’s was a very good experience working here had a lot of fun
Administrative Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando floridaJuly 15, 2018
Very good place to work in meet a lot of people from different location...learn a lot from the trainers and Co worker they were very helpful. Loved what I did in the time frame I was employed by them
Pros
Had a hour lunch break
Cons
No complains
Secure place to work but, a toxic environment.
Management Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 14, 2018
Federal Government great place to start a career. Job security and relax place to work. However, the group I was working was very toxic and management didn’t want to address the issue.
Pros
Job security
Cons
To much office politics
Fast paced environment that is constantly changing
Senior Watch Officer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 12, 2018
Co-workers were great but if you cannot handle change, then this is not where you want to work. Professional environment where you will work with senior level executives.
Pros
Gym onsite
Cons
Mission essential
As a Federal Agent you get to strive and helped the survivors!!
Manufacturing Housing Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA 70802July 12, 2018
I enjoyed working for the company. You learned how to be appreciate of the hard work you've accomplish and strive for the best to house the survivors. To give the survivors life again!! Department of Homeland Security is our home away from home. We take care of each others.
I love love my job!!!
Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 11, 2018
A typical work day includes assisting co-workers and clients with their travel authorizations and vouchers. I also help with their travel cards in maintaining credit balances (raising them and suspending them), establishing new cards, monitoring its usage against travel. I also approve afterhour and late travel airfare.
Good and Bad
LEAD OFFICER/SAFETY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 10, 2018
Sometimes difficult dealing with some of the public. Good co-workers and some good supervisors. Good perks for working for the federal government. Lots of ongoing training.
Stressful but can be fun
TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 10, 2018
A day at work could start off good and change in an instance. People walk in hating TSA so prepare for them to give you a hard time. I loved the independence that you get with this job, they trust you to enforce rules and regulations. The workplace culture is very diverse of all ages and ethnicities. I've met a lot of cool people especially with there being so many employees. There's always new people to meet. Hardest part of the job is keeping composure when someone doesn't want to cooperate. People don't understand you're just doing what you're paid to do.
Pros
Health Benefits, Retirement, gym discounts, the sense of responsibility
Cons
Short lunches, Energy draining, no free parking
Great people to work with, productive,
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 10, 2018
A typical day working starting with a productive meeting, preparing reports, assisting program specialist as needed, managers were great, the most enjoyable part was providing assistance to customer in need.
Pros
Job flexability
Cons
Temporary assignment
Straight and to the point
Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 10, 2018
Enjoy my work and the office environment. Many opportunities, education on options, attentive management, and flexibility with hours. Definitely a career decision.
Poor
Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20472July 10, 2018
Poor management did not encourage career advancement. Complaints against immediate supervisor's decision were rubber stamped and upper management did nothing to resolve employees' concerns.
Pros
Cooperative environment with peers
Cons
My way or highway type attitude of managers
The hardest part of the job
DSA (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoJuly 9, 2018
The hard of the job was talk with the survivor and the person starts cry because they loss theirs homes and their personal belongings. For me these was the hard part of the job, but I always did my best with the survivors.
New branch manager was great to work with, prior was very stressful, work helpings clients was rewarding.
Applicant Services Program Specialist (IA) (Former Employee) –  6400 Bissonnet, Houston, Tx 77076July 9, 2018
Work days consist of assisting hurricane Harvey affected victims. A typical work day was assisting in person hurricane Harvey Survivors. I learned to calm individuals in person in this very stressful situations.
Previous of management was really bad and disrespectful. New manger sent to our location and made the work environment pleasant and a enjoyable place to spend your day.
The culture of new management was client focused and team oriented.
Excelente
Puerto Rico (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoJuly 9, 2018
El mejor trabajo que uno pudiera tener. Es digno y noble y se hace las cosas como debe de ser. Lo recomiendo a todo el que pueda.
Early Years
Airport Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Numerous airportsJuly 8, 2018
I was part of the management teams sent to secure American airports and airspace in the early months post 911.
It involved extensive travel and flexibility of schedules and family life.
The hardest part was that this department was being developed as time went on and the changes were many and often confusing for everyone.
Pros
Travel, working without supervision.
Cons
New organization with many changes as travel safety became more and more important.
Different Task most days
Criminal Investigator (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 8, 2018
The typical workday was different exciting and filled with adventure. You had the opportunity to meet new people and travel around the world. In most cases, you had the sense of accomplishment when you ended your workday.
Pros
No two days were exactly the same
Cons
Sometimes you worked long hours
decent
TSA OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 8, 2018
Good job if you're looking to get your foot into the federal government. Not somewhere I'm looking to stay and build a career. No longer for me but it might be for you.
Great
HR Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20407July 7, 2018
The workplace is very fulfilling. It's presents the opportunity to serve the American public by ensuring that our borders are controlled and safe. This sense of fulfillment brings a sense of purpose to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight