SV-1910-J Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) – Arlington, VA – January 22, 2019
A typical day at work is static and slow progression. Far too many meetings about a lot of things with no execution or accountability. Most government agencies are out of touch with the industries they support directly or indirectly. Furthermore, the agency executives do not have industry experience or enough experience to know how their decisions will impact industry until after the fact.
Subject to extensive government shutdowns without pay.
Management and Program Analyst (Former Employee) – Washington, DC – January 21, 2019
Great thirty years of varied work experiences. I worked in various capacities with very dedicated and hard-working professionals. I was an Import Specialist (Customs Officer), an Intelligence Research Specialist, and a Management and Program Analyst.
Never work with Newark EWR TSA. Money can be made elsewhere, with out work place violence/harassment. I do not recommend working as an officer, we are not appreciated by the public or our own management. For some strange reason management's biggest focus is finding employees as the problem. Employees come to work to be hunted. avoid this as an option or selection,
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) – Phoenix, AZ – January 18, 2019
They do not care about the front line employees. The job is very easy, but it is very very stressful. 80% of your coworkers are good, but the other 20% are there because they can't get a real job in law enforcement and want to play pretend cop.
CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION OFFICER (Current Employee) – San Diego, CA – January 18, 2019
if you do not mind getting kicked around and treated like a common criminal by the management and supervisors then this is the place for you.
they work you very hard, and everyone is looking for a hole to hide in all the time.
But if you can deal with all that and the extra hours, you'll find a job with amazing benefits and compensation like you would believe not to mention a sense of pride being a federal civil service employee.
if your looking for excitement or action this isn't the place. its all about hard work and dedication.
Liquidation Specialist (Current Employee) – New Orleans, LA – January 17, 2019
There are many challenges and sometimes it becomes more stressful than need be. My typical day at work consist of reviewing and inputting data. I've learned a lot about the trade community importing and exporting. The work culture is diverse, but with diversity comes many obstacles. The job itself is not very hard, but I find that management is the biggest challenge, each unit is as good or as bad as the manager in charge. The most enjoyable part is the people you encounter and the things you learn daily. Overall it's a good company to work with, however being in the South has it's challenges, managers not embracing all the company has to offer to it's employees and not allowing employees to fully utilize their skills. They still like to micromanage and control things.
Alternate work schedules, tele-work etc.
Managers not allowing you to fully take part in the programs available
Federal Security Officer (Current Employee) – Fort Myers, FL – January 16, 2019
We deal with the traveling public no day is the same We also deal with criminals and terrorists watch list we are given some knowledge of what to look for it is an effort of several agencies and personnel It is a thankless job can turn into a 12 hr day
Pathway Intern (Former Employee) – Arlington, VA – January 16, 2019
The working environment of DHS was sustainable for productive efficiency. The culture of the work place allowed all of its employees to feel comfortable. Given that I was an intern the Department of Homeland Security, treated me as if I was one of their full time employees.
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) – New Windsor, NY – January 16, 2019
Some days are extremely busy, and some days are extremely slow. You have to endure some disrespect from some passengers. I had to learn how to react to disrespectful people. Management is management. They just stand around looking at everything that's going on. Morale is very low. The hardest part is dealing with passengers with attitudes. The most enjoyable part was when its time to clock out and go home.