Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Found 3,141 reviews matching the search See all 3,162 reviews
Needs Improvement
SV-1910-J Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 22, 2019
A typical day at work is static and slow progression. Far too many meetings about a lot of things with no execution or accountability. Most government agencies are out of touch with the industries they support directly or indirectly. Furthermore, the agency executives do not have industry experience or enough experience to know how their decisions will impact industry until after the fact.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Subject to extensive government shutdowns without pay.
rewarding and beneficial
Adjuster/Individual Assistance (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 21, 2019
long days, constant work. Lots of travel. Helping others is the most rewarding. Not being able to give persons in need the necessary help, becomes hard.
Great workplace.
Management and Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 21, 2019
Great thirty years of varied work experiences. I worked in various capacities with very dedicated and hard-working professionals. I was an Import Specialist (Customs Officer), an Intelligence Research Specialist, and a Management and Program Analyst.
Demanding Job
Federal Air Marshal (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 21, 2019
Due to the nature of my job I cannot divulge exactly what I do. The job is very demanding and requires a substantial amount of time away from home. The salary is good and the benefits are even better.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Away from home most of the time
Dhs
Ombudsman Office for United States (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 21, 2019
Very hard and demanding work to serve in the Public's interest and defend the homeland. Everyone their loves the mission and what they do. Everyone is willing to help out where needed.
Good place and has good security
Customs and Border Protection, Budget Officer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 20, 2019
Good place to work. Because it is within the government, an employee has all of the benefits to healthcare, retirement investments and security needed to retire comfortablly.
work culture
Transportation Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  S Burlington, VTJanuary 19, 2019
great for people just starting in the Federal govt and great next step after the military.Not a great job for people with families. the application preocess can take up to a year.
benefits
Cons
hours
Difficult work environment
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  EWRJanuary 18, 2019
Never work with Newark EWR TSA. Money can be made elsewhere, with out work place violence/harassment. I do not recommend working as an officer, we are not appreciated by the public or our own management. For some strange reason management's biggest focus is finding employees as the problem. Employees come to work to be hunted. avoid this as an option or selection,
Pros
good ot
Cons
everything possible
Bad management
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2019
They do not care about the front line employees. The job is very easy, but it is very very stressful. 80% of your coworkers are good, but the other 20% are there because they can't get a real job in law enforcement and want to play pretend cop.
Working together with co-workers
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22202January 18, 2019
Receiving and answering emails & calls. Contracting Officer Rep. Had a few good supervisors. Constant changes & unclear instructions. Support from a few supervisors..
Pros
Supervisor support
Cons
Constant changes
Excellent Worklife Balance
Grants Management Specialist/Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2019
Aside from being help politicallly hostage, I life working for DHS. I like the field of emergency management and the people that I work with. The mission is great.
Not a typical career
CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION OFFICER (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 18, 2019
if you do not mind getting kicked around and treated like a common criminal by the management and supervisors then this is the place for you.

they work you very hard, and everyone is looking for a hole to hide in all the time.

But if you can deal with all that and the extra hours, you'll find a job with amazing benefits and compensation like you would believe not to mention a sense of pride being a federal civil service employee.

if your looking for excitement or action this isn't the place.
its all about hard work and dedication.
Pros
Feeling of accomplishment
Cons
they ask a lot
Excellent place to work
Program Specialist - Flight Tasking Unit (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 18, 2019
Working for DHS has allowed me to actively participate in securing the safety and security of the traveling public.

It has been a real honor to work for an organization that seriously believes in security, not try and circumvent it.
Pros
Good pay, good leadership.
Cons
When essential, required to work without pay during furloughs.
challenging, somewhat overwhelming at times
Liquidation Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 17, 2019
There are many challenges and sometimes it becomes more stressful than need be. My typical day at work consist of reviewing and inputting data. I've learned a lot about the trade community importing and exporting. The work culture is diverse, but with diversity comes many obstacles. The job itself is not very hard, but I find that management is the biggest challenge, each unit is as good or as bad as the manager in charge. The most enjoyable part is the people you encounter and the things you learn daily. Overall it's a good company to work with, however being in the South has it's challenges, managers not embracing all the company has to offer to it's employees and not allowing employees to fully utilize their skills. They still like to micromanage and control things.
Pros
Alternate work schedules, tele-work etc.
Cons
Managers not allowing you to fully take part in the programs available
Highly stressful environment
Federal Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 16, 2019
We deal with the traveling public no day is the same
We also deal with criminals and terrorists watch list
we are given some knowledge of what to look for it is an effort of several agencies and personnel
It is a thankless job can turn into a 12 hr day

Great coworkers
Pros
New challenges daily
Cons
The public is undereducated
Great Place to Work
Pathway Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 16, 2019
The working environment of DHS was sustainable for productive efficiency. The culture of the work place allowed all of its employees to feel comfortable. Given that I was an intern the Department of Homeland Security, treated me as if I was one of their full time employees.
It depends which airport you work at.
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New Windsor, NYJanuary 16, 2019
Some days are extremely busy, and some days are extremely slow. You have to endure some disrespect from some passengers. I had to learn how to react to disrespectful people. Management is management. They just stand around looking at everything that's going on. Morale is very low. The hardest part is dealing with passengers with attitudes. The most enjoyable part was when its time to clock out and go home.
Engaging
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 16, 2019
I really enjoyed my time at the office. Co-workers were helpful and encouraging. Full-time employees had the ability to tele-commute and meeting were usually brief and to the point.
Depending on where you are working your day can be very stressful
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2019
-good job to get your foot in the door for government agencies
-pay is adequate, but not great
-some of the management is less than helpful when ever you need them to help you
Challenge
Security Inspector / Field Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2019
Challenging work on a day to day bases, including interpersonal skills with knowledge of the trade craft. Testing of will and personality to accomplish the mission.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight