Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Found 3,002 reviews matching the search See all 3,024 reviews
Rewarding
Security (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 20, 2018
It is a very rewarding job, with many good perks.
The only flaw is the heavy lifting, and injuries.
You are tested often, but that is to keep standards high.
I would recommend this job.
Pros
meet many interesting people
Cons
hard on the body heavy lifting
Typical Government Job
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 20, 2018
Great place to work, great benefits, overtime is available, scheduling is ok. Not family oriented but will work with you given enough time to ask off.
Department of Homeland Security
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesNovember 20, 2018
Dedicated individuals work for DHS but the red tape makes it impossible to assist when they need to. Long hours and short naps when off work. Always on call even when off the clock.
govt job
officer screening (Former Employee) –  Maine, MENovember 18, 2018
great place to work managment is a bit crazy
if you are not up to change at a moments notice dont apply
typical govt everyone is out for there own advancement
Pros
job security
FEMA and Homeland Security
Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Any where in the U.S. when neededNovember 17, 2018
Working at Homeland Security, although the pay incentive is great, is stressful as you are dealing with families that have undergone a natural disaster and potential loss of loved ones.
The job is to help people to recover from a major loss and it can be very emotional for the family.

The only downside for me was that you are only deployed when there is a natural disaster.
Pros
Helping families
Cons
Per Diem work
Quick-paced enviroment
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 16, 2018
An awesome place to work. You develop patience and perfect your communication skills here. Often times, you become the information center for all the passengers moving through security.
Fun and Personal Work
NFIP Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 14, 2018
I educated Insurance companies on the National Flood Plan Insurance policy so they could sell more insurance policies. Also I spoke at Town Hall Meeting in the communities to government officials and local cititzens.
Pros
Different each day
Cons
Long hours and away from home, months at a time
Na
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2018
I choose not to write a review about the, Department of Homeland Security. It is in my interest not to do so. The other questionnaires reflect how I feel. End of statement
my summary
Interior Design, Multi-Media Wiring, Business (Former Employee) –  SD californiaNovember 14, 2018
It was a pleasure and a gift working for DHS and I would b e happy to return in any circumstance to serve my country. I felt an obligation anf a duty to do my best and I enjoyed working with a diverse and eclectic group of winners.
Great Opportunity to grow
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 13, 2018
If you are able to overlook a lot of the political factors involved with government work, then the ability to grow is really great. Federal benefits are also very good to have as well.
Stressful
Master Behavioral Detection Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 13, 2018
TSA was very stressful. The hours were horrible and management was terrible. I do not recommend working for TSA. If it was under new management it would ok.
Benefits
Great place to learn
Mission Support Specialist GS-9/2 (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLNovember 12, 2018
Great place to start a career, great team environment, broad range of duties, very friendly staff, family feel, room to grow, procurement, inventory management, project management, business consultant, financial management
Pros
paid time off, flexability, skills aquired prepare you for other roles, benefits
Would not recommend to my worst enemy!!
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK 73112November 12, 2018
Terribly run and raises are less than minimal. No recognition for hard work. You have to be person of color to get anywhere with this organization. Work ethic means nothing and moral is horrible!
Pros
Good Health Benefits
Cons
everything else
Good Place to work
Customs and Border Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 11, 2018
Team building and team mentoring, strong organizational skills, strong communication, excellent leadership abilities, highly dependable and reliable, Osha trained; scaffolding safety.
A 16 year career that enhanced my security abilities to include professionalism, computer, and awareness.
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 9, 2018
Started my career with TSA in 2002 as a result of terrorism in September 11, 2001. After 16 years of weekly, quarterly, and annual training in a model work place, I became a critical part of our nation's protection of the traveling public. On-line training provided additional experience working with company hardware and software. From behavior detection to active shooter training, I developed multiple levels of awareness with TSA.
Pros
Professional Growth
Cons
Airport Traffic
Great place to learn, work and travel
Supervisory Detention and Deportation Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 9, 2018
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Office of Enforcement and Removal Operations is truly one of the hardest but rewarding federal law enforcement positions.
Strong team environment
Branch Chief IT Accessibility (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 9, 2018
Good team dynamics which make it a great working environment. Training is also provided on working as a team and dynamics of team members. Abillity to telework showed that management trusted their employees. This allowed for a good work life balance.
Pros
Able to telework.
Cons
Heavy workload and insufficient workers.
good job to work
Call Center Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Morrow, GANovember 9, 2018
i love this job. helping the victims of the hurricane was so rewarding. my team was great. always busy on the phones. nice environment with loving people
Pros
liked everything
Cons
they are changing the hours and it doesn't fit my schedule for my son.
a very busy work day.
Supervisor Department (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2018
the work area is very busy and serious it's a intense place to work and structured atmosphere. You have to perform training daily to keep up with the new rules and regulations everyday.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
management support
A stable but hard environment to work in
TSA Officer (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WANovember 7, 2018
If you need access to good medical insurance this is a great job. Pay was lacking though for standard of living in area. Working environment is pretty easy but passengers make the daily grind hard to accept for your mental health.
Pros
Stable job
Cons
Low pay and negative climate (passengers)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight