Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Found 2,495 reviews matching the search See all 2,513 reviews
Secure but occasionally maddening position
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 21, 2018
Government service is not for everyone, but if you apply yourself you can easily advance and increase your earning potential. The management at DHS/TSA leaves a lot to be desired, but you put the mission first and eliminate their interference as much as possible.
We for most part got along,if we didnt we dare show it there. 1 mission at first
F.E.M.A.coordinator (Former Employee) –  All over U.S.September 21, 2018
Live life well. Work hard eat well,rest well,dont use any fuse and live long and prosper. I worked my but off for them . I paid in S.S.retirement,got hurt needed it and couldnt draw a dime.. Bad Bad contractors sometime crp.on subs.It happened 2 me 13 yrs.
Pros
Cdt.crd. for predem.such vehicle to drv. No cost me
Cons
Had few ronchy Contractors over years
Excellent
Protective Security Officer (Dispatcher) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 20, 2018
Working at Dhs is rewarding , meeting new people , learning new skills . It’s all so important for the days especially working in the Commams Center .
Pros
Relax but stern
Great place to learn
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 20, 2018
If you focus on getting your work done, exercise patience, and keep your opinions to yourself...you are going to love working here! Training is provided for you. My coworkers were awesome!
Pros
Full Benefits
Cons
Quarterly bid for your schedule
Tsa
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Lititz, PASeptember 20, 2018
DHS is a new government agency that was developed by combining several small agencies. It was built using top management from the smaller agencies who had differing ideas on how the major agency should be run. It is improving, but employee recognition is minimal, so turn-over is still a major problem.
Pros
People
Cons
advancemant
WSP Inspection Services Review
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoSeptember 19, 2018
Learned a work phase that I never thought to experiment. To work long hours and dedicate weeks to a job, without free days is something that not all are ready minded to do. But it was a pretty useful practice and it was worth it the sacrifice. Everything for a good purpose; help Puerto Rico after the hurricane.
Pros
salary, preparedness
Cons
long days working, temporal
People stay here because the work is fulfilling, leave because the Agency only takes care of staff selectively
Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 19, 2018
I loved the work and camaraderie. I didn't love the old boy network that is still very pervasive. I've seen great staff and managers passed over for promotion in favor of people placed for political favors or just executive favoritism. I understand that this is significantly more prevalent at HQs than in the Regions. There are a lot of great things about working at DHS, it is extremely demanding, though, and while lip service is paid to achieving work-life balance, little is implemented and is too readily revoked. Review OPM's workplace surveys- DHS consistently finds itself in the lowest rankings. Best part of the working here is that most of the people are really dedicated to the job.
Pros
Mission, camaraderie, benefits
Cons
Executive leadership, work-life balance, pay in high cost of living areas
Challenging job
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92106September 19, 2018
Early hours, great benefits and great stepping stone. If you want to further your career in The Department of Homeland Security TSA is a great way to start. They got flexible hours as well.
Fast paced usually
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 19, 2018
There is always change. A lot of times under staffed. Not sure who is in charve each day.There are constant new hires who need training.i liked my supervisor she was on point and would help where ever she was needed. Not all supervisors or leads will help. There are plenty of lazy workers there so the hard workers have to work extra hard.
Pros
Many different shifts
Cons
Training time is limited
Fun place to work
Lead Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 18, 2018
Lot of meetings and travel
Stafford act and disaster policy issues with procurements
very understanding
professional
travel
helping people in time of need
Pros
lu
It's a Federal Government job
Officer (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 15, 2018
Your helping to create a safe environment for the traveling public. I learned how to properly be a team player, that I was capable of achieving anything with the right team, hard work and perseverance. It was a wonderful place to work. Good people, meaningful work, great pay, great benefits. A professional work environment.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Leave/Vacation Time
Cons
Chain of command
no work life balance
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 15, 2018
on your feet being criticized all day long. Probable the worst place to work if you have a family. The benefits are bad but the people who work there are great.
Pros
Employees
Cons
everything
Very educational and crucial.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOSeptember 14, 2018
A typical day working here would consist of going through files and entering data into the computer. I learned a lot about immigration and the process of becoming a US citizen. The hardest part of the job was the accuracy of the info we put into the computer and not missing important information.
Federal Goverment Job
Transportation Security Inspector - Aviation (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 13, 2018
The Department of Homeland Security is a federal agency. A typical day of work consists of ensuring regulated entities meet the requirements outlined in the Federal Code of Regulations. Management at the DHS is average. Workplace culture ranges from toxic to passable. The hardest part of the job is interpreting the security programs as they sometimes are vague and incomplete. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and building networking connections.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Lack of career progression.
Great place to work.
Executive Assistant to Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2018
I have enjoyed working at DHS for over 7 years. The leadership is excellent. The job gets done, but with a humor-added work environment. This is an organized regional office where nothing falls through the cracks.

The great part about my job is that I have learned a lot of new procedures and programs while wearing many hats. Due to staff shortages I had to take on collateral duties and this helped me grow through the challenges I have met.
Pros
Easy work environment; reasonable expectations
Cons
No wage increases
not a long term consideration
Reservist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 13, 2018
Very disorganized. cut throat environment. Old retired military personnel sanctuary. No clear organizational objectives followed. didn't value civilian employees and tried to manage them like military personnel.
Pros
Not many if any
Cons
To many to list
Best people on earth
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 12, 2018
Every day, I entered a new armory. Every day, I met new people. Every day, I had to win the trust of new military personnel that were intentionally not trusting of non-military personnel in the armory. I was in secure areas and inside vaults and this made them nervous.

So, at every location, I had to assure them that I was trustworthy and not a threat. At each facility, I had to win them over. Beyond this, my return trips were then rewarding as I was able to renew those young friendships.

At times, winning them over involved bringing food in at lunch time. At other times, winning them over meant I left them alone and let them work. It just depends on the people, the climate of that particular armory, and maybe the stress level of the armory depending on world events.
Pros
Daily travel, Interesting places and people, new life stories.
Cons
I was working so hard, there was no time for lunch or restroom breaks.
Airport security
TSA officer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 12, 2018
Working for TSA is a good job for anyone. You must be ok with working very early hours. You will not be able to work a typical common schedule like Monday through Friday 9am-5pm.
Great Place to work
Information Systems Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 11, 2018
Great place to work. Fun atmosphere. Very diverse and very challenging work. Job can be stressful and emotional at time. The management staff always had open door policies and never made you feel like you didn't belong.
na
UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL AGENT (Former Employee) –  Lordsburg, NMSeptember 11, 2018
It was a great career if you like shift work. this was a number of years ago that i worked here. do your research and figure out where to work would be best for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight