Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

A day in the life of a FEMA Project Specialist.
Public Assistance Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 17, 2018
A typical day on the job I would be researching and writing project worksheets to fund applicant projects. Daily I would be interacting with the Applicant, State Homeland Security counterparts, and State Closeout sub contractors, FEMA technical advisors and engineers. I use many FEMA and State databases daily to perform my duties. I had multiple need to know clearances to gain access to these databases. The best times were interfacing with and assisting storm impacted people. This job taught me to multi task, gave me lots of computer knowledge and gave me a broad knowledge of Federal policy and how to apply it to make eligibility determinations. We were responsible for completing our payroll, daily accountability and various daily and weekly reports to management.
Pros
Lots of freedom to come and go plus i gained lots of knowledge
Cons
Difficut work environment since you are dealing with survivors of disastors.
National Incident Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2018
In this position you get to travel all over the United States, Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. The job is difficult both mentally and physically due to the nature of the position. The hours are long, usually 12 hours a day seven days a week, at least for the first month then the hours taper off.
You may deployed from 30 days to 6 months, and sometimes longer depending on the job. You usually have a 24 hour response time to arrive at the disaster office.
The down side is leaving your family, friends and home for long periods of time.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Competitive people
Extremely adaptable workplace
Federal Disaster Reservist Employee - Data Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 12, 2018
Duties include reviewing Insurance Policies, Exit Briefings, and acts as Liaison between Fema and Applicants. During deployment, responsible for organizational and prioritizing productivity. Knowledgeable and experienced in all aspects of Data Management. Works long hours in changeable circumstances, maintains an attitude of helpfulness and provides Exemplary Customer Service. Works extremely well with team members and senior lead. An asset to disaster operations.
Pros
Opportunity to travel to assist disaster victims
Cons
100% travel
Poor managment
Federal Officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 11, 2018
It is a "Club" environment, if your not in the club than your gonna hate working there.I was there for over five years and now I am not there I am off all prescriptions and happy.
Pros
Bene's
Cons
everything else
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 11, 2018
The management picks and chooses what rules they want to follow. One year you have to apply for a position and next they pick whomever. We need better pay. Someone who works there for only 4 years makes almost as much as someone who has been there 10 years.
Pros
overtime
Cons
Promotions and raises
Former ICE officer
Federal investigator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2018
Dealt with people in both the public and private sector. Work consisted of fifty percent field work, fifty percent office work. Managers were helpful and decent.
Pros
pay
Cons
worked many hours
Not understanding of health related issues
FEMA Local Hire (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 11, 2018
They are not flexible when it comes to local hires. You have limited sick leave and no vacation. Your deployment may last the entire time or they can let you go before.
My job at FEMA was rewarding.
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRMay 10, 2018
My work in FEMA was enriching and informative. Working on projects to help the people of Puerto Rico was rewarding. FEMA makes sure that you are properly trained to carry out your duties so this was amazing.
Great job
STSO-Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 10, 2018
Great job. COme into work and hit the floor. Dependig on what airport you work at. Some days will be busier than the others. It is a great way to learn.
Ambiente emprendedor
Agente (Former Employee) –  Naranjito Municipio, PRMay 10, 2018
Provee capacidad de productividad, ambientes agradable propicio para el trabajo.
Review of Customs and Border Protection
Administrative and Enforcement Mangement (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 10, 2018
Great opportunities for competitive skills. I was very fortunate to retire after 37 years and gaining career development and subject matter expertise.
well organized and accesible
Inspector / Interpreter (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRMay 9, 2018
Personnel were approachable and well informed of their duties and responsibilities. There was a lot of information that help me improve knowledge on different ways of managing different situations.
Pros
recompensation
Differs from day to day
NDRS, Outreach Support Crew Lead (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 9, 2018
A typical day at work differs everyday. Some days are very slow, others can be extremely fast-paced. It all depends on your leadership and how they delegate tasks to you, and the specific projects that you work on.
Challenging and Rewarding work
Deputy Project Manager/Senior Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 9, 2018
Challenging and Rewarding work. Flexibility to innovate and streamline processes for the Department. Culture of the Department is essentially the same as any Government Agency.
Acting Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2018
Okay job. Job could be better. You might have to see if this is the job for you. Everyone accept this job differently. It’s works for me because I work night shift
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Great Environment
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2018
Great environment with excellent management. First Government job after military retirement and gained experience and knowledge. Enjoyed co-workers and organization.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
No cons
My thoughts on working at DHS
Assistant Special Agent in Charge (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 7, 2018
DHS is a great place to work. It has a great mission and the men and women of the agency genuinely care. In any agency there are hurdles and DHS is no exception. Sometimes maintaining a healthy work/life balance can be difficult.
Clean
Security Screener (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 5, 2018
Unless you have a military background you probably will never advance at the DHS.
My hat is off to all those who served in the military,but they also need to work again at the DHS.
Pros
nothing
Cons
expensive parking
very easy job to adjust to life
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 4, 2018
dealing with the traveling public is a tough enough job. this company is very helpful in learning security procedures. it helps keep you alert in life outside of work as well. opportunities to move up aren't the best but they are there nonetheless
Pros
the overtime, friendly environment
Cons
management, and the opinion of the traveling public
Interesting Place To Work
Federal Air Marshal (Former Employee) –  DTWMay 3, 2018
Never a dull moment. There were never two days alike. One week you might be in South East Asia the next week in Germany. Each location has it own set of rules. You have to learn to be flexable
Pros
Good money
Cons
No Home Life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.3Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight