Department of Homeland Security
70Above average
Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updates from Department of Homeland Security:

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA182 reviews
Okay place to work
Not a bad job, scheduling can be a hassle because they have a schedule to fit you into, not you fitting them into your schedule. Pay is good for the area.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Scheduling
Avoid if possible
IF you want to get into the Federal Govt, this is the easiest way to do it but avoid TSA if possible. Any other agency within DHS is cool, but TSA would make you quit.
Dhs
Almost all leadership are in acting positions. There is a lot of turnover. The agency needs steady leadership for the future. Do your research before applying.
New Program with minimal direction
The program was in the new stages as we were staffed to produce cutting age new technologies for DHS. Funding was loss as the change in administration happened so the project was scrapped.
Friendly and prfessional work envirnment
Work as a security analyst as well as provide technical assistance to walk in and over the phone User for laptops, desktops, I Phones, and printers.Work in a friendly and professional environment with flexible work schedule.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Sucks
Petty, pedantic, political wobbly leaders who care about themselves more than employees or the nation. The DHS is as evil as you think and as hard to work for as your worst nightmare suggests. Pockets of excellence exist where leaders care but they are rare.
Challenging and meaningful Employmnet
Work is steady and complex with a variety of subject matters that relate to federal laws of the United States.

There are plenty of opportunities for advancement and travel to difficult places.

Can complete an entire career at one location so no mandatory moves.
Good
Good Company to work for. Background investigator skill. No day is the same. Very flexible. Enjoyed work with different people daily. Would recommend
This Place in horrible
don't not apply here the place is horrible and management sucks. You can not live off the pay here. Ive been here for 5 years and I only make 42,000 a year and I'm a single parent barely surviving
most enjoyable part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job dealing with customers and lawyers. I meet people from around the world. Helping the applicants with the process in the asylum proceed. be the first person they saw and be the last person they seen for one day.
the asylum officers treat you nice.
Pros
flex schedule
Cons
no lunch sometimes
Poorly run
Failure in overall management, recognizing earned achievements, cut-throat culture based on favoritism not competence.

Corruption, failure to hold those in management accountable, and an overall lack of integrity. Wasting the taxpayers dollars.
benefits
Cons
Lacks any honesty, decency, or integrity. Pure favoritism.
Great place to work.
Enjoyed working there as well as the environment. Know that I was once apart of keeping American safe gave me comfort. I would highly encourage someone to apply. The training is amazing and the are so many opportunities within.
Tsa
I would not refer anyone to work for DHS-TSA, it is not a positive environment and the work life balance is not good for parents with ill children....
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Horrible Work Culture
This is a fast paced environment
This is a fast paced and dynamic environment for ission-critical for National security and protection
Expertise, adaptability, dedication, and discipline are key determinant success factors
Nothing to say
Nothing else to talk about. I would not recommend as a long term career job. Great for someone who is looking to get in the door and branch out to other agencies.
Awesome place to work
•Achieve consistently high levels of performance
•High energy and enthusiasm

•Committed to customers and exceeding customer expectations

•Professionally and emotionally committed to their job

•Initiate problem-solving, challenge things that need to be changed

•Innovate and strive for process and product excellence and efficiency

•Focus on achieving goals

•Expect and enjoy autonomy and the ability to make decisions

•Initiate and participate in special projects

•Committed to the company, their group and role

•Would recommend their company, products and services

•Communicate willingly and effectively

•Identify risks and take appropriate action
Government Politics
Lots of politics and very little career progression unless you are in the click or don't like to make change as they are not looking for people to think outside the box only people who will do what they are told.
Interesting Place to Work, but really fun if you work in the field Office
A great place to work depending on what specific job you have in mind. I had the opportunity to work in the field when hired and I am in the office now. Some people enjoy working outdoors and I did 8 years outdoors and loved it, but as I got older, my preferences changed, so I no longer work in the field office and have the wonderful opportunity of working in a office. Sometimes I miss the action of working in the field, but I can always go back if I decide working in an office is too boring
Pros
accrual of leave each pay period, free parking and traveling
Cons
distance from home is 50 miles
Productive and fun workplace
Overall a great place to work with great people dedicated to doing a meaningful mission. There was not a typical day - every day was new and exciting, a dynamic learning experience and environment.
CISA Cyber Communications
Worse Division! Senior Female Managers have an negative attitude towards hiring new people. Why even work in communications, if you lack manners and professionalism? Talent candidates are often overlooked and told during an interviews "that they should not be any asking questions" and are never given a follow up about the position. Poor candidates! Another example, is Senior Female Managers having to diminish candidates expertise.Usually only maintain Right wing (white) talent with no diversity to any other race. No wonder they received below grade in IT Modernization efforts. Yikes!!! Either clean house or start actually hiring people, who would have actually would have cared to fix these issues.
Pros
Cons
alot of cons working here
Job
Do the job you are being paid for and always seek to advance and help others complete the mission. Mission oriented, meanful, important. Helping others mean helping yourself.
Pros
Salary
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.
1.5K
1.1K
Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.