Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
Senior Program Manager; IV&V (Current Employee) –  MarylandJune 12, 2018
The workplace culture is based on the leadership, which is focused on the mission. The mission drives the development of new applications that enhance the security of the public which determines the level of intensity in the workplace.
Government Pros and Cons
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glynco, GAJune 11, 2018
Government employment does have some pros such as job security and benefits. There is opportunity to grow but it does come at a cost . Most of the time it does require relocation.

Cons are work/life balance and due to limited local job growth, there is minimal opportunity to promote within the organization.
Long on the Job Training Program
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2018
They have a two 2 week training program in a classroom style setting. I was also trained on the job site in which I truly learned
what they required of their security guards. We conducted intensive scanning and searching of people and their carry-on luggage.
Pros
High pay, good opportunity to advance
Cons
High visibility to general public.
Challenging work environment with heavy responsibility
TSA Officer (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 9, 2018
When on checkpoint, you are under scrutiny from the public and your superiors. You are subject to the emotional states of the passengers and must maintain decorum and control despite the noise and confusion of a busy airport. Strict adherence to procedure and process mandatory for reasons of safety and consistency.
Pros
Steady work, good benefits
Cons
Limited and expensive healthy eating options on airport site, meal breaks too brief to comfortably digest, limited private space for breaks, very intense at peak hours, sheer boredom at slow times
Alright
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  JFKJune 8, 2018
its what you make of it. keep your head down, and do your job and the days will fly by. the hire process is very long but i suppose the benefits are worth it.
A great starting place
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Swanton, OHJune 8, 2018
TSA is a great starting place to get Federal Service. The organization will take individuals who do not have a robust background in any similar field and will pay for all of your training.
Fast Paced
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 7, 2018
Great learning experience but highly demanding. Worked an average of 12 hours per day. Overtime was mandatory. Employers were very informative and helpful
Not a Good Place to Work!
Human Resources Specialist-Payroll and VLTP (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2018
I would not recommend working here. This is one of the worst place to go. They offer a lot of telework but its not worth it. Its run on fraud waste and abuse of tax payer dollars and no one know what's going on. very chaotic.
Great Job
Disaster Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDJune 5, 2018
Temp job for disaster relief. It was great helping people put there life back on track after they lost there homes. It felt great to let them know it was people who cared about them.
The best federal agency
Disaster Recovery Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2018
Awesome agency to work for EXCELLENT Benefits and paid travel. Tons of room for growth. Inconsistent relay of informatio at times but fit for the most part
Pros
Federal
Cons
Intermittent and on call
Great Benefits
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 2, 2018
Great Benefits. Stress nd physically demanding. High micro managing by management. Very stressful, giving the nature of the job. Not enough support from management.
Awesome place to work
Transportation Security Screener (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLJune 1, 2018
This was the best job, my supervisor was the best and was always willing to teach us and explain all the rules of TSA. If i did not have to move from one part of Florida to another , i would still be with the company.
Personality Driven Agency
Human Capital Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJune 1, 2018
Leadership in my agency shy's away from change and does not take into account that the world is evolving thus holding employees back from moving forward. No transparency which is the #1 complaint in the component I work for.
I always recommend checking out Customs and Border Protection
Customs and Border Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 1, 2018
If I meet someone who is looking for a job, I always recommend looking into becoming a Customs and Border Protection Officer.
You have to be sharp, but no experience is necessary.
Helping people after disasters
Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  California, Nevada, Virgin IslandsJune 1, 2018
I working with survivors, I did enjoy working with a lot of my co-workers. Some of the issues with housing had me wondering exactly what were the rules and regulations regarding repairs on homes as well as the housing issues for the workers during the disasters.
Pros
helping survivors
Cons
housing management for employees had issues, no trust
nice place to work
Utilities Contractor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 1, 2018
duties changes but remain in job scope....challenging in the best way
Was assigned to resolve any problems the applicants had regarding housing..great, if you like working with people
Pros
great salary
Cons
may have to travel if job dictates
Excellent Transitional Opportunity
Travel Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2018
This job was/is an excellent resource if your objective is to simply sustain until the next best opportunity arises. However, the possibility to transition into a more secure position is quite challenging.
we had several days where we had cookouts and got communicate with one another
Logistic specialist (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAMay 31, 2018
My experience with the department of homeland security was a very good one the pay was not best but I am hoping to join them on a more permanent role where I can earn more money.
Pros
money was not the best
Cons
you get to help people that have lost every thing
Good Pay
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2018
Good pay good benefits stressful work environment fast paced goal orientated. Career opportunities chance of advancement. education help TSP savings plan
Fast paced environment
IT Specialist (Supervisory) (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 31, 2018
In the program I am working on, there are numerous daily meetings and interactions with multiple customer agencies. Its very challenging. Government salaries lag in similar private sector jobs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.3Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight