Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Necessary and valuable functions
Transportation Security Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 9, 2018
Work can be somewhat repetitive for most positions within the organization. Good benefits, such as vacation and sick time which can accrue considerably over time.
No thank you
Telecommunication Technician (Current Employee) –  Suitland, MDApril 9, 2018
I have worked at the Suitland Mega Center for over six years and I have moved up the ranks, I had started out as a call taker/ dispatcher and then moved over to a training coordinator, after that I became the dispatch supervisor. After that I become an alarm Tech. I come in with my head down working to please the Lord and I was rewarded for my efforts.
Great place to work and great team staff.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 9, 2018
Response and Recovery Division. Responded to man made or natural disasters. Secretary to the Director of RR Division. Typed letters, memos, answered phones, distributed mail. Prepared travel vouchers, maintained supplies and other duties as assigned.
Pros
Great place to work and great team staff.
ICE AGENT/LEAD OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Marlton, NJApril 9, 2018
It is a very quick paced environment where you must be flexible and professional. Excellent work environment but takes a lot of physical strength. I am retiring.
Pros
Salary, co workers
Cons
Number of hours needed each week
Horrible job
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2018
Do not work for Homeland security it is a terrible job with no pay raises. They promote young kids (19-23 yrs of age ) instead of employees that have put in time to learn protocol for the job. I would not recommend my enemy to work there. And they won't admit it but color of skin has a lot to do with promotions
Fast Past Environment
Agriculture Specialist (Trainee) (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 7, 2018
During holiday's and summer months the work pace can be very fast and stressful. Lots of standing, bending and climbing in and out of various size vehicles (ie. tractor trailers, panel trucks, passenger cars).
Pros
Working in Public Safety
Cons
Working in all weather conditions
Very Productive
DSA Disaster Survivor Assistance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 6, 2018
I love working with them, I like to help people. It is extremely interesting and dynamic. Working during a disaster was very positive to help my island at such a difficult time.
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VA 20598April 6, 2018
My typical day at work was base on handling confidential information.
What I learned was how great responsibility is while working for the government.
Cons
Sr. Information Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2018
As the youngest agency within the federal government their is quite a ways to go before the agency can become as efficient as most of the legacy agencies.
Personnel Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2018
Contract ended so I had to find other employment. Always had a open communication with the CEO and his staff. I enjoyed working with the DHS employees and contactors. It was a family office setting.
Pros
Great team of people
Cons
contact ended
help me
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Lihue, HIApril 3, 2018
I gave you my review when I rated i don't understand why this info is necessary when my rating should suffice by this time you can tell i'm tired of typing
Pros
benifits
Cons
everything else
red tape for career opportunities
information technology specialist, Architect (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 2, 2018
Opportunities with the federal government are challenging specifically due to the number of candidates. Additionally new government managers are not trained to meet the demands of their staff.
Pros
Value added - awesome benefits
Cons
difficult to advance
Paid time off
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLApril 2, 2018
Over all I had a good 12 years there. Good work environment...and everyone works as a team. I had made a lot of friends there. It was a very good experience working for DHS.
Pros
Strong work ethic
Cons
stressful sometimes
Job with security
Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2018
Maximum job security. Crime pays every two weeks. You may love this job or you may love that the pay enables you to do what you love. Either way if you can get the job, do it.
Screened passengers, baggage and cargo for flight
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LA 71303April 2, 2018
Screen passenger and baggage for flight. It’s difficult dealing with passengers that are angry that they have to go through the screening process. Also rewarding to turn all there anxieties into a smile once the screening is complete. And they realize they got all worked up over nothing
Not a fun place to work
Management and Program Analyst (Budget) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 28, 2018
The work is great, the team is great, but the management need more help. The work area was great. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the young budget manager. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my team.
Great mentors in Finance department
Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSMarch 26, 2018
Manager was very encouraging to teach outside of the job scope. Great mentor! Would love to work for the Federal government again. I love numbers so that made my job very enjoyable!
Great place to work with a team of PA Site Inspectors
FEMA Public Assistant Site Inspector (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 26, 2018
Great place to work with cultures of many people. The work day was to receive Work Orders, contact applicant to schedule a time for inspection, met with applicant and conducted a site inspection.
Went back to office, and down loaded information into Grant Manager which included a FIRMette, Site Inspection Map, Photos imported into photos page with a detailed description and completed a site inspection report into Grants Manager.
I am experienced in down loading information into grants manager and uploading all information to send to PDMG
Pros
Serving the USA in disaster recovery efforts
Fema
Caseworker/Clerk/Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVMarch 26, 2018
Long hours, supervisors are not trained on your job duties, only to make sure you are on time and take your breaks and lunches. They get paid 8 more dollars an hour just to do that. your tax dollars are being wasted.
Pros
Good pay
Great job opportunity
FEMA (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 25, 2018
Overall It was a pleasure to work for FEMA.
Great experience and learned many things while working for FEMA. Management was very helpful and kind when helping other agents.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.3Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight