Department Of Industrial Relations

• Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility

State Job -- What else can you expect

It's a state job for a paraprofessional. Obviously, you get a good pension that you pay into -- CALPERS and Social Security. No advancement, no motivation, just do the rote work and be safe. Nice coworkers for the most part.

Pros

State job with pensioin benefits

Cons

Rigid, letter of the law rules

Good experience to benefit you later

Good place to begin your state service, fantastic benefits in the long run. How ever, the State's process are rather slow when it comes to adding people to the team and hiring.

Job security

Management is great there. They have a nice work life balance. In addition they offer very good pension and retirement program. PTO is very easy to take and you are offer many.

Summary

Working at Dept of Labor was good, I learned a lot of employment law and how to interpret rules and regulations and cross training with other units. Management in my division was not that great but in the other divisions they are good. You learn a lot working at DIR and was a great opportunity for me to advance. I recommend starting in a small agency and its not too political there.

Great coworkers, Great judges and helpful clerks. Scan and burn Cds to anyone who needs records of a specific injured workers who are trying to get benefits.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Great job security

Very manageable workload. It can be bored at times when there are not audits, but the managers encouraged self-development classes during work. There are very limited career advancement as an auditor there since its a position that they created recently.

Pros

Great work/life balance

Cons

Very low pay

Worst Govt Agency in existence

Great place to work if you do not care about Govt waste, top heavy management and idiot coworkers. Terrible place to work if you actually care about your work (no one else will) and want to do a good job.

Pros

You can work as slow as you like and still get paid!!

Cons

You coworkers will still work slower than you and you will end up having to pull their weight.

A great place to work and an incredible atmosphere.

Has the best schedule to balance work and family life. Benefits are the best and the people here truly care about your career goals and upward mobility.

Important work in helping those who are unfairly treated

Very satisfying and fun work ensuring that those that are not being treated fairly are being advocated for. Also, working with others as a team and successfully meeting the mission of the Department.

Pros

great team players, travel, feeling of accomplishment, supportive management

Cons

A bit tiring and long hours when on the road. Caseload is rather high.

Busy place to work, but I thought it was fun.

No work on weekend. State job people were nice to work with. Mostly office work 40 hours a week. I enjoyed the job and the people. They are always hiring.. pending on uour position you can get great pay on a monthly basis.

Pros

No work on weekend

Cons

Benefits, and Travel

Great Place to Work

Working for the Department of Industrial Relations is a challenging experience. You are required to utilized researching and analytical skills to interpret and present data that is vtial to today's economy.

state job

customer service is important on a typical work day, lots of paperwork, no free employee parking, its a typical state job, Office technicians, and secretaries

Stable workplace with decent benefits

Working in this office gives a lot of experience in customer service and Microsoft office. Unfortunately, they are always short staffed which can lower team morale and create an overflow of work

A very good place to get varied experience

Very busy recruiting for job training program and making job placements. I enjoyed working with clients to provide referrals to jobs and training. Management was very cooperative in providing information for advancement. My co-workers were very good to work with. The hardest part was convincing parents to allow their children to leave home for training I really enjoyed seeing them complete the traning program and being placed on a job. I learned a lot from the clients in that everyone is valuable and their opinon counts.

Pros

Good benefits

stable employment

Great leaders who are interested in your growth and want to see you succeed. My coworkers are great and its a job you look forward to going to.

Inspiring and challenging

A typical day with this Division is very satisfying. Not only are we able to educate the employees we are also able to educate the employers of the State labor laws. We handle disputes daily and we negotiate settlements in the best interests of the parties. The office handles an average of 20 settlement conferences a day and an average of 12-15 hearings a day. The best part of this job is solving the disputes amongst the parties where hopefully everyone goes home partly or completely satisfied. The most difficult part of this job is not being able to collect on behalf of the employee when a decision is in their favor or when a settlement has occurred.

Pros

the type of work we perform is challenging and educational. Constantly learning new laws

Cons

the State backlog of cases which is unfortunate for the employees

The best job I have ever had

This was the best job I ever had. I worked extremely hard scanning batches for injured workers, processing incoming and outgoing mail, and doing electronic filing.

very friendly people. longer lunches. steady paced

my typical day would start off by going in the building and get to work right away. usually taking out staples from papers and organizing them. i learned the things i can and cannot do if i were to work there. or any other job. that was the most important thing. well managed co workers were sweet. most enjoyable part was when we would work as a team.

Pros

long breaks. different tasks

Cons

none i can think of

Fun project.

Being a lead has it's own set of challenges, but those challenges are easy to over come when you have a great team to work with.

enjoyable work environment

I enjoyed working there and I learned allot. The coworkers were enjoyable as well.

Pros

meeting new people

Cons

underpaid

Great people to work for

Checked list for EUC's not paying. Trouble shot the ones I knew and found answers through other co-workers for the one's I didn't. Management was the best in my department and most co-workers were helpful. The hardest part of the job was not getting on full time.The most enjoyable part of my job was my direct co-workers in my office. They were really caring people.

Pros

got to dress up

Cons

had to park far away from office.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department Of Industrial Relations. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Department Of Industrial Relations