Department of Justice Employee Reviews

Excellent career
Firearms Instructor (Former Employee) –  Glynco, GASeptember 21, 2018
Excellent benifits, not everyone is cut out for this job. Stressful and dangerous. 3 week academy in glynco Georgia. A lot of training opportunities. You can move all over the US if you want to. Paid moves, good 401 and retirement package.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Dangerous profession
Analyst
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 17, 2018
The Department of Justice is an amazing place to work in the Federal Government. It's very diverse and competitive. It's all about going to the next level and taking advantage of what your unit and division has to offer.
Senior Patrol Agent (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXSeptember 15, 2018
Sometimes worked alone and sometimes worked as a group either way the job was challenging and rewarding. Was able to learn and communicate in another language.
Correction Facility
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 13, 2018
The Department of Justice is a good place to work if you can get past the day to day activities of interacting with inmates. Do your job and go home and take nothing with you.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Long Hours
Good ours weekend off moastly friendly people
Seasonal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 13, 2018
Over all good job. I was only a student so i didnt get benifits, but pay was alright raises at a pace and fair amount. The bosses where nice and fair., lots of office involment at holidays like a big family. Job duties ranged from easy at your own pace fieling to facepace deadlnes but always reasonable.
Good Environment
Counselor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Great place to make a change in your life. If you are open to learning something new you have come to the right place. It's all up to you.
Management and counseling staff were very helpful. Best part of the job was it was easy to get to work and all the meals were free. Health care was also included.
Pros
Free Lunch and Dinner
Cons
Everyone doesn't work together.
good
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TX 77705September 6, 2018
job was good but management was horrible. really love the job but I don't feel like typing this. this is not important to me to type this out for any reason!
Great boss
Asst. to Director of Re-Entry Affairs (Former Employee) –  Jesup, GAAugust 28, 2018
This prepared me and taught me a lot about re-entry. My immediate supervisor was patience and caring. She gave every client and employee maximum attention and respect.
Pros
Constant learning enviroment
Cons
Secure employment with great benefits
Various Positions Held (Former Employee) –  Otisville, NY 10963August 28, 2018
I retired after 26 years of Federal service working in a Federal Prison. You can have a meaningful career with an agency that truly values a diverse workforce. You will find a diverse workforce employed from entry level jobs to senior management positions. Our main focus is to protect public safety by ensuring that federal offenders serve their sentences of imprisonment in facilities that are safe, humane, cost efficient, appropriately secure, and provides reentry programing to ensure their successful return to the community. The employees at federal correctional facilities are "correctional workers first" and perform correctional work regardless of their specific occupation. Our long-standing culture of being a close-knit family sets us apart from other agencies - at the BOP you don't just get to know your co-workers, you make life long friends.
Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virgin IslandsAugust 23, 2018
I learned a lot from this company. A typical work-day started at 8am to 5 pm. I enjoyed the laid back atmosphere when the office wasn't busy and also my colleagues.
Productive work environment
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 21, 2018
A typical day is opening up the office and having attorneys or customers in line waiting for their court date. The phone rings all the time and it is usually attorneys calling to check on the status of their clients court date.
Pros
Stay busy all day
Cons
Not enough employees
terrible place
BOP- Law Enforcement Officer/Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 21, 2018
management sucked something terrible. I never got into trouble but had a hard time with how other people were treated. New manager was a total jerk and needs to be fired
Great introduction in Justice system
Juvenile Corrections Advocate (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 10, 2018
High stress being around convicted children all the time. High security awareness needed. Hard to see the results in what you did since you had limited time exposure with inmates.
Pros
Safe
Cons
Working with children
Great job
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaAugust 7, 2018
Acquired several skills in which I tend to utilize in future jobs. Met and worked with a great diverse groups of people. I learned a great deal from. Work environment was clean and respectable
Great place to start a career
Audit Division, Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 6, 2018
I started at DOJ as an undergraduate intern in the Pathways program. I am extremely thankful to have been a part of the program because it exposed me to the life of a Federal employee. I have learned and experienced so many things that I know will benefit me in my future endeavors. Additionally, being in a Pathways intern was a lead way into me becoming a full time employee right after graduating from undergrad.
Environmental and Safety Compliance Administrator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 4, 2018
Working for the department of Justice is very rewarding. The opportunities are great and you can always transfer to a different agency. My twenty five year career was very exiting.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
Shift Work
Highjy productive workplace
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 29, 2018
A typical day started with reviewing case files,talking to judges, managing calendars, sending out notes to peers, checking the court room for recording and starting court. I learned how to work with the judges in during court and after each day of court proceedings, notarize and certify court records, and how to keep the legal process moving. The hardest part was memorizing the legal pattern of each judge for their court room standards, the easiest was communicating with external/internal customers
Pros
Travel, classes for attaining my Masters degree
Cons
Salary not keeping up with the standard of living
Good place to learn
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 26, 2018
You are able to learn about the practice of bankruptcy, and are thrust into courtroom setting. I loved the job, and enjoyed the legal challenges presented.
Good Place
PROGRAMMER ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 23, 2018
The department of justice is a good place to work in terms of work life balance if you have a family. It is pretty flexible and laid back. I have no complaints.
Department of Justice
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Yazoo City, MSJuly 20, 2018
This was a very good job. You are tested before entering if pass the test then you get hired and then you will be tested again when you go off to training. The only thing I don't like is you miss the test by one point you still get sent home with no ob. The management was good. The work environment was good.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Loose your job if your test score are not 70 or above.