DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES Employee Reviews

Productive and great for learning about general public
STW summer worker (Former Employee) –  Champion, MIApril 2, 2019
The work was very straight forward and fun. It is a great job for people that need a first step into state working positions. The management was great, as they were all very nice and helpful. The most enjoyable part about the job is that it is spent outside for all 8 hours.
Jobs vary at DNR
Environmental Compliance Specialist / Georgia (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2019
Jobs vary at DNR. There is not a typical day at work as there are many different jobs at DNR. Certain potions have a lot of varying responsibilities.
Great summer job
State Worker (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIMarch 27, 2019
Best summer job, with great management, best staff I have worked with! Great for outdoor type of people. If you are interesting also in fields in the outdoors, this is a great job to experience some of that. Its a wonderful place to work, with outstanding management. All very respectful and understanding with school schedules.
Pros
People, working outside, environment
Cons
Seasonal
Good experience
Parks and Recreation Officer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pinckney, MIMarch 26, 2019
This was a summer time worker position. Mostly outdoors, patroling recreation parking lots, boat launches and beaches, Sometimes stuck in booth, but also sometimes on hiking trails,
Great place to work outdoors
Watercraft Inspector (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNMarch 9, 2019
They are long 10 hour days but most of the time the weather is enjoyable and connecting with other people. Learn a lot about invasive species and teach others how to prevent the spread of them.
Primera experiencia trabajando en el Gobierno
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRMarch 7, 2019
Fue un trabajo donde hubo muchos retos, pero de mucho aprendizaje a nivel profesional. el trabajo en equipo fue muy bueno y de mucho respeto.
Great Mission Great People
Environmental Chemist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 18, 2019
Doing a great job with a difficult environment. Proven improvement over the years. Dedicated professionals working hard for the people and environment of Michigan
I support DNR
Admin Asst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 13, 2019
I support DNR as a whole for what it stands for. But the agency pays less than other agencies and there isn't room for advancement opportunities. If you work for the state expect lower salaries and sticker shock for insurance. The days off are a perk but people need a salary comparable with the market which the state doesn't have and their salary increases do not cover the cost of the healthcare increases so you never really get a salary increase for 80% of the employees.
Pros
free parking, paid time off
Cons
low salary, costly insurance, no room for advancement
Really Fun, Challenging, Enjoyable, Impactful Job
Conservation Job Corps (CJC) Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDFebruary 13, 2019
I really enjoyed the hands-on experience this job provided me. It was one of a kind, sweat, sun-kissed, physical labor mixed with fun activities and a challenging mission. I grew to love and get to know the kids, even the most challenging behaved ones. This was an excellent job experience that teaches you to work with and lead others.
Great experience
DNR internship (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNFebruary 8, 2019
It was an internship that I did with the chronic wasting disease testing. It was a great experience to see how research and data collection is done. Overall fun experience working with the organization.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Adapting work, that keeps the job interesting.
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Commerce, MIFebruary 5, 2019
The DNR was a different workplace. It was a job where every day you came in you were doing something different. It made things interesting. Along with this, it almost made the job more annoying because the rangers all expected you to know exactly what you are doing and if you asked any questions they all had an attitude of, you don't know how to do this.
Politics
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 29, 2019
There's so many political issues involved. We don't have a supervisor and we never know what is going to happen.
The position above me has been vacant several times and the responsibilities has been put on me to maintain that position.
Then when time came to apply for it, I was a very close 2nd to getting the position. The person left that position a year later, and they took the job away. Leaving me to take upon the job again but no advancement.
Pros
flexiblity!
Dnr
DNR (Current Employee) –  Naselle, WAJanuary 22, 2019
Good working environment. I love to be outside and enojoyed everyday being on a fire or what ever it's was with the fellow friends I worked with. The best part of the job was being so high above clouds on some mountains where we would cut down and replant trees for new growth.
Pros
Get to be outside cutting trees down.
Cons
Cold weather
Great place to work but sorry Pay.
Construction Project Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJanuary 3, 2019
Company allows you to work at own pace without micro managing you. Given the oppertunity to manage lots of different types of construction projects including Hiking Trails, Dog Parks, Boat Docks, Bridges and boardwalks.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Low Pay
good supportive
Stateworker (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, MIDecember 26, 2018
fun place meet lots of different people and have chances for advancement overtime. Hardest part is managing home life and also working weekend and nights.
Dnr
Central Office (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 20, 2018
A wonderful team of people who are continually supportive of your current position and opportunities for change and advancement. The salaries could be better, but the benefits are hard to beat.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
You'll never be rich
collaborative
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 11, 2018
worked in a collaborative form...team participation Worked for government for the state of Georgia I answered phones, took messges, filing and responsible for stte cars
Pros
paid transportation card
Cons
salary low
Good Place to Work if You Have the Right Manager
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 9, 2018
A good place to work if you have the right manager. Colleagues were very supportive and friendly. Good commute and free parking. Great benefits and no weekends.
Planner II (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOOctober 5, 2018
Employees worked together well and I learned more about our state of Missouri's regulations. I learned more about Excel documents. It was a good place to work.
Pros
Good working relationships
great job
forestry worker (Former Employee) –  Forks, WAAugust 9, 2018
i really liked working for the department of natural resources. there they taught me how to be a sawyer as well as be a firefighter. We had put out a few wildland fires, helped lower the damage done to a town by a flood, and planted alot of trees.