Department Of Public Health Employee Reviews

Loved my work environment and the people I worked with in the clinic
Public Health Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MS 38671July 11, 2019
Wonderful group of people. We worked well within our office. All programs communicated within program services. The ability to advance within your area and remain in your location is limited/ none. Salary is not comparable to living for the geographic area/region. Pay raises have not occured in 13 years. More advocacy and persistence uniformly to reach the masses
Great company to work for in Columbus,Georgia
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAJune 26, 2019
Wonderful company to work for. family time off. Great hours.Enjoy doing the outreach for . Get to learn new things. Enjoy calling clients to make or schedule appointments.
Positive work environment; professional growth; friendly colleagues and management
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 18, 2019
I worked as a Program Coordinator for the MA Department of Public Health. I managed the day-to-day activities of the 2000 Calorie Awareness public health campaign, promoting healthy eating. It was a positive work environment, busy at times, but the staff worked collaboratively. My colleagues and managers were friendly and helpful. I learned exceptional project management skills. The hardest part of the job was when there was downtime. I enjoyed meeting with the media company and seeing the final product for the campaign ads and materials. It was a great learning experience and I was able to grow professionally.
A productive and fun work environment
Sr. Warehouse Clerk/ Distribution Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 25, 2019
I really just wanted to get out of State department to work and learn the private Sector and possibly obtain a position to utilize my skills gained and acquired from the previous employment
Pros
Government job
Cons
Limited growth potential
Don't work here!
Administrative Support II (Current Employee) –  Irwinton, GAMay 16, 2019
Pay is low. Health insurance is too expensive. The training is insufficient. Human resources is horrible and doesn't care about their employees. I should have never worked here.
Pros
Cons
Overpriced health care, horrible management, low pay, 30 minute lunch, 8 AM -7 PM on Tuesdays.
Caught in the middle
Industrial Injury Investigator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 9, 2019
When I first started working in my office, it was a nice. I was able to focus on my job and do it. I had a director that would fight for what she wanted and needed and for her people. When she left, an interim director was put in place that wouldn't do anything more than she had to and certainly wouldn't fight for anyone else. On top of that, there's higher ups trying to get us under their thumb to spite our old director who retired, and the higher ups don't care how they do this.
Pros
Medical Benefits
Cons
Unfair work practices, Stressful working environment
loved the work enviroment
Mental Health Screener (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMarch 27, 2019
My team a the health department was welcoming and supportive. My supervisor had an open mind and willing to listen to ideas from the whole team. I learned a lot working and assessing children and families.
Great place to work and collaborate.
N/A (Former Employee) –  Knox County, TNMarch 20, 2019
This is a great place to work. Colleagues are great to work and collaborate with. There is a really strong team/community mentality, especially within department.
Pros
hour long lunch
Cons
N/a
Program Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 20, 2019
There is no replacement of hard work for prosperity. No matter how talented you are, you’ve to work hard to excel in life. It’s not about competition only, it’s also about determination and consistency. We need to work hard for prosperity because success demands dedication. No matter which profession you choose which career you aim at, you’ve to work hard to perform the best and make it to the top.
Pros
no Commment
Cons
no Commment
Productive & Excellent Work Enviroment
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 6, 2019
At the California Department of Public Health the work environment was excellent, the managers there were very helpful & understanding. Would definitely go back in a heartbeat. Highly recommend applying.
Pros
Paid Time Off
Amazing place to work!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  GAFebruary 6, 2019
The health department is honestly the best job I have ever had overall! The staff is amazing and it's like a family there... So much love! Unfortunately the pay just didn't suffice so I had to find something else
Typical Day at Work
(Intern) Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Moulton, ALJanuary 11, 2019
Meeting with clients interviewing them or checking in on their progress. Scheduling appointments with other resource providers, signing clients up for classes and listening to them and perspectives on their progress
Pros
Own your own time
Cons
It could take all day
Awesome start to obtain learning experience
Information Systems Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 22, 2018
i have been here for 3 years and was taught a lot in in the windows being able to work with around patients and having strong communication with users.
Nurse Case Manager, Childbirth Educator (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHNovember 19, 2018
DPH in Manchester is a great place to work! Staff are helpful, supportive and hard working. The administration works to create a great environment. The benefits are excellent!
Sad
Healthcare Marketing Campaign Manager, Americorps (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 2, 2018
This was just a sad experience. Completely unqualified people doing their assigned jobs and being untouchable because their union protected them. I'm all for unions but sometimes they backfire. This time they backfired. A lot of cronies. A lot of political appointments.
Contractor position is very flexible
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Northeast GAOctober 3, 2018
Enjoyed managing the caseload of BCW families and the position required a person who is a self starter and who is capable of managing their own time and appointments. Very flexible but lots of paperwork
Never actually worked for the Dept of Public Health
Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 29, 2018
I was in a graduate program at UNCG for Public Health. I worked for the school, not the NC Dept of Public Health. You should get your algorithms checked.
Productive and face paced job
Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 24, 2018
Paitents come to the medical center seeking either treatment or follow up results. Most of the work load is handled by the doctors with the patients but all other follow up information and corresponding information filters in and out by the clerks.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Working with the public
very relaxed environment
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 19, 2018
Good environment to work in. You work independently most of the time, but have the option of working in teams. Positive atmosphere, nice co-workers, happy.
Productive, fast paced, very detail orientated
Health Clerk (Current Employee) –  Collinsville, ILJuly 17, 2018
Working in the schools as a Health Clerk, is very fast paced and very detailed orientated position. Managing confidential health records from staff and students making sure they maintain the requirements for the Department of Public Health was my main task.
Pros
40 minute daily lunch breaks