Department of Public Safety Employee Reviews

Perfect job
Admin (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 16, 2018
I regret the unfortunate departure. I was young and obviously made a big mistake leaving. State government is not as great employment as it once was but it provided a great experience for me personally and.professuonally.
A typical work day
Correction Officer III (Current Employee) –  Jessup, MDApril 6, 2018
A typical work day is moderately paced. The level of stress varies day to day based on the situation and circumstances. The supervision of offenders and detainees is challenging you must remain firm, fair and impartial and have extremely high ethical standards to persevere in this department.
review
Probation and Parole Officer (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCApril 4, 2018
I am not happy with probation and parole. They did not know how to treat employees. We had to work long hours. We had no time to spend with our families.
good spot
Hydrovac Assistant Operator (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXApril 4, 2018
It is a really good working environment they provide a good working cultural atmosphere. This is an extremely comfortable place of work, and the benefit are great.
A world changer with self control
Probation and Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCApril 3, 2018
A typical day at work to me was preparing to listen to other people problems and concerns with an open mind and a willing heart to make a difference in their lives. Therefore, I have learned how to become better at listening before talking. Management has empowered me be confident in managing my time and making decisions, while working in a diversified workplace of people in need. However, the hardest part of the job was going out at night to a well known area of drugs and violence but at the same time it was an enjoyable part of the job because I learned areas in Wilmington I never knew existed.
Pros
Several work schedules to accommodate a single parent
Cons
On call working late at night
Flexible hours , team work, social skills
Probation and Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 30, 2018
This is a fast pace environment. Unpredictable situations on daily basis, better policy for safety of their employees. But good flexible hours, paid overtime
Pros
Discount, holidays and good vacation time
Cons
Last minute emergency, constant changes in policy and rules
Prison
Correctional Officer III (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 28, 2018
Prison that is where I worked and that is what I felt like I was doing was serving a life sentence after 11 years. The mental challegnes that management would take you through and seeing that the inmates was more privilege than the officer. We wasn't respected by staff half the time and majority of the time we are not respected by the inmates. The most hardest part of the job is not being a victim of someone pettiness and this includes management. The enjoyable part od the job is getting off going home and knowing you made it through another work shift without falling to pieces physically and mentally.
Pros
the free uniforms
Cons
the cut throat
Department Of Public Safety
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Albemarle, NCMarch 26, 2018
The Department Of Public Safety is definitely not a place to work for the weak mind. You must be strong, although, there is limited physical work the mental frustration can supersede any labor. It is a very stressful environment to be in but you take the good with the bad. I've learned a lot working for the Prison including; how to communicate with different personalities, learning multiple methods to stay positive, being scared but also standing my ground, learning the true definition of a team player and what it takes to help protect your team, using different equipment, handling weapons and prioritizing my personal life. The job is not always easy and most days you want to give up. I think the hardest part of my job is coping with so many negative individuals surrounding you. It's hard to stay positive when everyone complains daily but remembering that your attitude can change someone's whether it's for the best or worst. Good days come often to those who pray for them and always looking at the brighter side of any situation. I enjoy working most days and try to smile as much as I can. I would recommend this job to anyone knowing that someone has to do it and always being honest about what they would be walking into.
It all depends on teamwork
Juvenile corrections educator (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCMarch 19, 2018
If everyone works together and is willing once in a while to go the extra mile, the task, difficult though it certainly is, challenging as it always proves, will succeed in the end
Pros
Daily paid lunch
Cons
Some inmates are considered dangerous, even if not armed
Excellent agency to begin with for a person with an interest in Law Enforcement.
Sergeant/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 2, 2018
Greenville County Detention offers and excellent chance for career advancement if you are an eager, hard working, intelligent "go getter".

Yearly Raises
Excellent Salaries
401K
Police Retirement
Paid Vacation
Paid Sick Leave
Tuition Assistance
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Long hours. Nights and weekends are required.
Manager treated everybody differently by age and color.
Processing Technician I (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOFebruary 24, 2018
Loved my job helping people buy my manager treated staff differently based on their age and color. Also brought personal problems to the workplace way too much including if she saw a employee outside of work and they made her mad. She would then treat them differently and was harder on them.
Pros
Helped people in need
Cons
Poor management
typical day at work
Records Technician/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saipan, MPFebruary 23, 2018
its enjoyable. we were the only dmv on the island of saipan but work, the work never gets tiring or boring. you meet all kinds of people. If the environment is good everything is good. Treat eachother with respect no problem whatsoever.
Pros
Good co-workers Good boss Good JOB
Safety
Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wailuku, HIFebruary 23, 2018
Safety is important to everyone staff, public and inmates. We do our best to help inmates get through their sentence and help them reintegrate back into the community.
Pros
$3.00 lunch
Cons
No free lunch
Workplace Culture
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  New London, NCFebruary 19, 2018
This is Job has its good days and bad days. Overall it is ok. Staff members do not have your back. When you go in you have to have a mindset that you are there to work not make friends.
productive workplace
Customer Service Rep/Cdl Tester (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2018
productive workplace and job security with great benefits.
great work family and room for advancement within the department.
great management and leads within the workplace.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not enough pay
Correctional Officer I (Current Employee) –  Sanford, NCFebruary 7, 2018
Prepare written reports concerning incidences of inmate disturbances and injuries.
Investigate and report causes of inmate disturbances, such as assaults, fights and theft.
Maintain prison records and prepared reports.
Pros
Work Place Culture.
Cons
Health care
enjoyed helping people get there drivers license
drivers license clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2018
Answered phones . Typed out drivers information for drivers license on typewriters and then later crt computers. Collected drivers license fees and gave change. Took applicants photos.
State job
Data Systems Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 26, 2018
Hours was great work with my lifestyle. typical work day on the phone like a call center. Management was not that great and workplace was ok. hardest part leaving
A productive and fun work place
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 16, 2018
Dealing with drivers licenses,and sending out letters and much more i learned how to collect statics, management move around a lot culture is good the hardest part is direct return to many different letter to write but i'm beginning to love it a little more. enjoyable part is having goodies days, and quarterly meeting.
Pros
Having lots of time off because of all the holidays we get
Cons
traffic
great experience
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Troy, NCJanuary 10, 2018
The job was great good career for someone who dose nit mind working long hours. Also comfortable possibly putting your life in danger. The job is career based with competitive benefits and salary.