Department of Public Works Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Work advancement
Inventory/ Janitor (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDJuly 20, 2018
Great place to work; hard to advance.That is basically it; many people get jobs through relatives so an outsider has more of a challenge and most jobs have no advancement; so unless you skill or school for a different career with openings you are stuck with a .30 raise a year maximum, which doesn't cover basic home owner/ or a one earner basic expenses.
Pros
Benefits of low cost insurance and paid vacation.
Cons
Little overtime, in my field no advancement.
Productive and working environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJuly 14, 2018
I enjoyed working at the Department of Public Works. The staff was really friendly and I learned a lot over the summer that will help me in the future.
Pros
Boss fed me when he felt generous
Too much favoritism and backstabbing
City of Grafton (Current Employee) –  214 front street grafton west virginia 26354July 10, 2018
I would not recommend anyone to work for this place that used to be a great place to work but Department of heads in the city manager don't care about the employees anymore neither does a council it is a terrible place to work there's just so much backstabbing favoritism that's on the real
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MAJuly 5, 2018
We always got what we needed to do done. Each day we received a list of parks and memories had to mow and clean up. After each park we would drive and empty and pick up trash from the town.
Very relaxed environment.
City Hall, Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NY 10701July 4, 2018
Very relaxed environment. You build great relationships with your co workers. Very slow paced environment, you have a lot of time to yourself. Overall a great part time.
Pros
Very relaxed environment
Cons
Too much free time
Working at the Dept of Public was a learning experience
Motor Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
My experience with the Dept of Public was a learning experience. They taught me how to drive a snow plow, a tanker truck, and remove graffiti work. Also I learn how to operate a trash truck.
Pros
Able to learn many differant things
Cons
it was a temporary job
Public Works
Environmental service worker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 25, 2018
I enjoyed working with public Works but they do play favoritism to people they like if one person doesn’t like you the will all stick together to keep you from getting a permanent job there and I dnt think that is fair especially if your work file doesn’t have anything bad in it.
 Enforced numerous infractions to vehicles parked illegally  Increased revenue by issuing 4000 citations and 300 warnings  Responded to Hansen and
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2018
The Department of Public Works District of Colombia is a great place to work.Opportunity are endless if you work hard and give your best. Great place!
A great proving ground for the electrical craft.
Level 1 Electrician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 15, 2018
Never a dull moment because something is always breaking and you had to do a lot of improvising. Management was very helpful and you did not have a problem getting material or manpower.
Violation officer
Violation Officer (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJJune 13, 2018
Giving tickets to cars who don't move for the sweeper. Keeping the town clean. A lot of driving requiered. I got to learn the court system & got sworn in the become a violation officer.
Pros
Learning the court system
custodial
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 30, 2018
Custodians spend their days picking up trash, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, or using industrial cleaning equipment to clean floors, cleaning and stocking bathrooms, making sure buildings are secure, cleaning windows, and minor building maintenance and repairs.
Learn as you work
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2018
Working there, if you are not a quick & hard worker you wont last working there long. the job is only as stressful as you make it. As long as you stay focused on what your supervisor told you to do you should be ok
Pros
40 hours plus work
Cons
untrustworthy co-workers {some not all}
good
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Roselle, NJMay 28, 2018
it is a great job. I like the job and they give benefits to part time workers. I just wish there were more hours for overtime. I really like the job and the people.
Fun productive work environment using equipment .
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2018
Learning how to use weewacker Is a great experience cleaning highways and parks for the community.i love working with my hands and outside . I like to learn new things and move forward.
Pros
Payed day off if sick
Cons
30min breaks
very productive
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJMay 16, 2018
a very hard worker team player not a slacker always ready for more work if needed shows up on time leaves late if needed very productive and good to work with
a temp job
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Hornell, NYApril 28, 2018
This is a volunteer job with the welfare. Welfare place you with them to learn different skills. You learn how to use different tools and the proper way to use them.
Pros
getting along with people
High paced customer service
Utility Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIApril 27, 2018
Took many phone calls about any public service work done in the city (water, sewer, roads, grounds, construction, etc). I enjoyed the small office here and the managers I worked with.
Pros
paid time off, 401k, benefits
Cons
high workload
Good Place to Work
Senior Operations Analyst Consultant (III) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 26, 2018
The Leadership Team is completely in touch with the business. This is by far the most employee friendly company that I have worked in. Professional, hard working, top notch employees.
Competitive workplace with fast a fast-paced work environment.
Sanitation Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 17, 2018
Assess and evaluate areas that need cleaning, and remove debris and other waste

Disassemble trashcans, stack them in roll offs, to be transported to be recycled

Clean alleyways, as well remove bulk trash, and discarded furniture

Cutting trees and tree limbs, and collected them to be shredded down to mulch

Inspecting highways, and residential streets, as well as cleaning, removing trash, and any other hazardous material

Standing, walking, bending and strenuous lifting and carrying materials weighting in excess of 40lbs.
Lack of advancement opportunties
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 12, 2018
Impossible for long time employees to advance and reach the high end of salary. Requires lots of efforts to replace employees that do not performed to their job specification title.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Salary and advancement opportunities