Department of Public Works Employee Reviews

Organized, efficient, extremely competent
Landfill Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 2, 2019
Baltimore City is very competent, reliable, and generally is very pleasant place to work. It is a team oriented environment. Over the past 15 months, work responsibilities have continued to evolve and escalate. A more refined departmental structure and ever expanding operations, including the introduction of automated solid waste collection, city-wide storm debris collection, and business office recycling. It became necessary that this position continued to assume additional oversight responsibilities. Many of the duties, such as oversight of landfill scale house operations and waste reduction and recycling services, that were originally assigned, are still being performed. The level of complexity and the degree of involvement and independence of action has increased.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
It was a fun place to work
Seasonal Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 23, 2018
As time went by on a daily basis co-workers and myself took care of big jobs and small jobs around the city. It was great to work with a team of people that all pitched in when time to work hard.
Pros
Work Hard
Cons
lazyness
Not a great place to work.
Customer Care Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 20, 2018
The working atmosphere and work productivity is not great due to poor management. Employees are disgruntled and always calling out because of working conditins.
Pros
Cons
poor management
It's a great place to work
Utility Investigator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore cityDecember 19, 2018
It's ok to work there, I am looking for a career move, I still work there. The worst thing is dealing with coworkers who could too work drunk.. enjoy working with consumers.
Productive and fun workplace
Summer Employee (Current Employee) –  Kaukauna, WIDecember 3, 2018
I worked here as temporary job in the summer. I happened to work with a couple of my buddies and some greater older employees which created a great atmosphere. I highly recommend this job to build character and to make decent money as a college student
Na
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 29, 2018
I cleaned up shredded paper I gave tickets to overload trash in the trash cans add tray s in front of their backyard on the ground and keep the office clean
Poor management
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 31, 2018
Boss was incapable of doing own work, had others do it for them, workers were getting paid to do the bosses job. Made life hard at work to deal with in the workplace.
Great place to grow...
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 23, 2018
As a Program Support Assistant, provide assistance to the supervisor by researching information to be used in planning, developing procedures, and preparing reports to facilitate the accomplishment of Fleet Management Administration‘s program goals. Maintain records of office equipment, furnishings and maintains the executive vehicle readiness. I monitor expenditures to ensure that funds do not exceed allocated amounts and notify managers and supervisors when funds need to be reallocated. I process invoices for Fleet Management employees; receive invoices for parts and maintenance.
I attend Department of Public Works meetings to stay abreast to current departmental activities. I have the ability to communicate effectively (oral or written), work under pressure, organize work, meet deadlines, operate a computer, and establish an effective work relationship with officials, co-workers, and other operating officials and general public. I have the ability to work in an office setting and work to carry out a variety of administrative assignments auxiliary to the work of the organization.
They have cook outs for the holidays etc.
Motor Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 10, 2018
DPW is a laid back job and fun, but it can get a little stressful at times. My license was revoked because of points, but I will regain it after February of next year.
Pros
Mostly everyone gets alone so it is a fun enviroment.
Cons
Needs better equipment.
Flexible job
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 8, 2018
This job helped me to gain in site on government accounting and finance. I really enjoyed crunching numbers and working with contracts. This job offered me the ability to work independently and really express myself from a financial stand point.

Want to know more about Department of Public Works?

Ask a question
Friendly environment
Contract Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21202September 29, 2018
The environment was very friendly. My boss was very understanding, helpful and charismatic. I received a lot of great opportunities while working there and I am very grateful that I received the opportunity to work there.
DC Government
Parking Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2018
I will never work for the government again, I want to quit now. The wrong people are in charge, making g it hard for people to just come to work. I wish I never took the job.
Benefits
Cons
Wrong people in charge.
Fun Summer Job
Summer Helper (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WIAugust 30, 2018
Enjoyed every second working outside with different full time employees. They respected me and the atomosphere there is wonderful. I would highly suggest a college student to work here.
Community service
Leaf Remover, Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 30, 2018
It was cool nice for the time being very respectful employees. Not a rush to do work because it gets done in a very well timed order it’s a great job to look into
Very good work enviroment
Electrical Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 30, 2018
Loved to position. Wish it was permanent. The management team was really hands on and helped with most assignments. Everyone one had working knowledge of every task at hand
Pros
Learned alot
Cons
Waste smells awful
Great job. Lots of classes to go to
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 16, 2018
Great job lots of work. Always had good working equipment. Learned a lot from DPW. Would have stayed if the supervisor was more professional in his role.
Pros
Four ten hour days. Comp time. Rewarded for good work
Cons
Supervisor an working in desert floor in August
Challenging
Superintendant of Solid Waste (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 13, 2018
Good place to work. Most of the people are hardworking and team players.

Work/Life balance is great. Did not see a lot of opportunity for advancement.
Interesting Workplace
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2018
I was the support staff for the training unit. My division worked well together and we looked out for each other. We came up with awesome training methods and ideas.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Too many great supervisors started leaving
Hard working and constantly on the move
Temp (Former Employee) –  Warren, PAJuly 31, 2018
Everyday was a new challenge to take on. I loved working with my associates and getting to try new things. The department is great at helping new comers to their ranks
Typist I, II, & III (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 22, 2018
Front Desk coverage, Maintained databases, answering phones, distributing mail, distributing pay checks, filing, typing forms,

Management - very knowledgable, they had been there for a long time and were considered experts

Workplace culture - relaxed and always busy

Hardest part of the job - as Typist 111, new job and attending school at night was more than I could handle successfully

Most enjoyable part of the job - learning something new, but I wish I had been given more time after each new procedure to really absorb the steps in each new procedure
Pros
Honed customer service skills
Cons
Overwhelming expectations