Department of Public Works Employee Reviews

Flexible job
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 8, 2018
This job helped me to gain in site on government accounting and finance. I really enjoyed crunching numbers and working with contracts. This job offered me the ability to work independently and really express myself from a financial stand point.
Friendly environment
Contract Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21202September 29, 2018
The environment was very friendly. My boss was very understanding, helpful and charismatic. I received a lot of great opportunities while working there and I am very grateful that I received the opportunity to work there.
DC Government
Parking Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2018
I will never work for the government again, I want to quit now. The wrong people are in charge, making g it hard for people to just come to work. I wish I never took the job.
Benefits
Cons
Wrong people in charge.
Fun Summer Job
Summer Helper (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WIAugust 30, 2018
Enjoyed every second working outside with different full time employees. They respected me and the atomosphere there is wonderful. I would highly suggest a college student to work here.
Community service
Leaf Remover, Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 30, 2018
It was cool nice for the time being very respectful employees. Not a rush to do work because it gets done in a very well timed order it’s a great job to look into
Very good work enviroment
Electrical Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 30, 2018
Loved to position. Wish it was permanent. The management team was really hands on and helped with most assignments. Everyone one had working knowledge of every task at hand
Pros
Learned alot
Cons
Waste smells awful
Great job. Lots of classes to go to
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 16, 2018
Great job lots of work. Always had good working equipment. Learned a lot from DPW. Would have stayed if the supervisor was more professional in his role.
Pros
Four ten hour days. Comp time. Rewarded for good work
Cons
Supervisor an working in desert floor in August
Challenging
Superintendant of Solid Waste (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 13, 2018
Good place to work. Most of the people are hardworking and team players.

Work/Life balance is great. Did not see a lot of opportunity for advancement.
Interesting Workplace
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2018
I was the support staff for the training unit. My division worked well together and we looked out for each other. We came up with awesome training methods and ideas.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Too many great supervisors started leaving
Hard working and constantly on the move
Temp (Former Employee) –  Warren, PAJuly 31, 2018
Everyday was a new challenge to take on. I loved working with my associates and getting to try new things. The department is great at helping new comers to their ranks

Want to know more about Department of Public Works?

Ask a question
Typist I, II, & III (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 22, 2018
Front Desk coverage, Maintained databases, answering phones, distributing mail, distributing pay checks, filing, typing forms,

Management - very knowledgable, they had been there for a long time and were considered experts

Workplace culture - relaxed and always busy

Hardest part of the job - as Typist 111, new job and attending school at night was more than I could handle successfully

Most enjoyable part of the job - learning something new, but I wish I had been given more time after each new procedure to really absorb the steps in each new procedure
Pros
Honed customer service skills
Cons
Overwhelming expectations
Work advancement
Inventory/ Janitor (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDJuly 20, 2018
Great place to work; hard to advance.That is basically it; many people get jobs through relatives so an outsider has more of a challenge and most jobs have no advancement; so unless you skill or school for a different career with openings you are stuck with a .30 raise a year maximum, which doesn't cover basic home owner/ or a one earner basic expenses.
Pros
Benefits of low cost insurance and paid vacation.
Cons
Little overtime, in my field no advancement.
Summer job and it was pretty easy
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Union City, NJJuly 19, 2018
It was a summer job it was pretty much me filing paperwork that was needed to be done and just sitting at a desk all day nobody really bothered me too much because I already knew what I had to do and the work environment was pretty well relaxed and calm from majority of the day.
Pros
Paid lunch
Productive and working environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJuly 14, 2018
I enjoyed working at the Department of Public Works. The staff was really friendly and I learned a lot over the summer that will help me in the future.
Pros
Boss fed me when he felt generous
Too much favoritism and backstabbing
City of Grafton (Current Employee) –  214 front street grafton west virginia 26354July 10, 2018
I would not recommend anyone to work for this place that used to be a great place to work but Department of heads in the city manager don't care about the employees anymore neither does a council it is a terrible place to work there's just so much backstabbing favoritism that's on the real
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MAJuly 5, 2018
We always got what we needed to do done. Each day we received a list of parks and memories had to mow and clean up. After each park we would drive and empty and pick up trash from the town.
Very relaxed environment.
City Hall, Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NY 10701July 4, 2018
Very relaxed environment. You build great relationships with your co workers. Very slow paced environment, you have a lot of time to yourself. Overall a great part time.
Pros
Very relaxed environment
Cons
Too much free time
Working at the Dept of Public was a learning experience
Motor Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
My experience with the Dept of Public was a learning experience. They taught me how to drive a snow plow, a tanker truck, and remove graffiti work. Also I learn how to operate a trash truck.
Pros
Able to learn many differant things
Cons
it was a temporary job
Public Works
Environmental service worker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 25, 2018
I enjoyed working with public Works but they do play favoritism to people they like if one person doesn’t like you the will all stick together to keep you from getting a permanent job there and I dnt think that is fair especially if your work file doesn’t have anything bad in it.
 Enforced numerous infractions to vehicles parked illegally  Increased revenue by issuing 4000 citations and 300 warnings  Responded to Hansen and
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2018
The Department of Public Works District of Colombia is a great place to work.Opportunity are endless if you work hard and give your best. Great place!