Department of Revenue Employee Reviews

It was ok
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 8, 2019
It was a good job a lot of up side 5 days week good co works but it was a temporary position that always was in the back if your head over all I liked it
Pros
Good people
Cons
Temporary
I liked the job at first
Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 1, 2019
I liked the job at first most of my job was working with the public either face to face, telephone, or correspondence. I did taxes both individual and business.
Pros
Having your own space to work in
Cons
Not being able to talk to your coworkers
Fast paced but fun place to work
Revenue Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 31, 2018
I enjoyed working for DOR/child support enforcement. The job allowed for a great deal of engagement with the clients as well as coworkers in an attempt to establish paternity, child support and health benefits for the children. It feels very rewarding to assist families in need.
The hardest part of the job
Technician Manager (Former Employee) –  Golden, CODecember 30, 2018
The hardest part of the working for the Department of Revenue/Drivers License was enforcing Statues. Customer who had lost their driving privileges found it difficult to understand the requirements to reinstate their privilege.
Pros
Customer service
Cons
Unhappy cusatomers
Benefits
Revenue Collections Officer Grade 13 (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYDecember 10, 2018
Its a state Job that is loosing its benefits little by little each year. The new employees that start their employment get less benefits as if you started 15 yrs ago. We have not had a raise in a very long time. this is one of the reasons i am looking for other employement
Pros
retirement
Cons
cant by retirement years anymore
sales tax
Sales Tax Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 3, 2018
I appreciate the job however I felt lied to. The managers have horrible attitudes and they are lazy. They showed favoritism to certain people. The pay was decent and they have a restaurant in the building.
Pros
the pay and the restaurant in the building
Cons
unorganized, managers are unprofessional, short lunch break
Great company
Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 3, 2018
I loved the job with Unclaimed Property. It was amazing , my co workers were great my manager was great her manager was great. I played an important roll and loved it
Productive place to work
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 20, 2018
Each day was productive and I knew what was expected of me. The management was fair and helpful to staff. The hardest part of job was making sure all work was accurately keyed in.
Pros
Cafeteria on site
Cons
short lunch break
stepping stone into state government work
Account Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOOctober 22, 2018
This is the place where people start with at the State and move on quickly. There is favoritism and little motivation to excel. If you are not liked you don't advance but as long as you do your job they keep you. If you are liked you can move on rapidly.
Department of Revenue Port Angeles
Revenue Agent (Former Employee) –  Port Angeles, WASeptember 28, 2018
The management is profoundly bad. The job would be good if the management was not so bad.

The manager was a solid employee until she became manager and then she was forced to resort to underhanded tactics to maintain control because her understanding of leadership techniques is nonexistent.
Pros
Everything except management
DOR Corporate Tax Accountant
Corporate Tax Account Technician (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 26, 2018
A typical day of work would consist of clarifying tax payers payments to their account and making sure they were being applied correctly to the tax liabilities. We would be receiving calls from tax payers, reviewing their tax returns, fixing ledgers, calculating interest, calculating penalties, calculating fees. Would conduct work that a was assigned via email, phone or orally. The culture was a fast paced, independent work that would was solely the responsibility of the tax employee. The hardest part of the job would be to be sure to complete the assignments that were within your authority to do. Even thought you may know how to do something, you would have to ask someone in another department to perform the task because you were not authorized. The most enjoyable part of the job, was the fast paced environment and being able to fix problems and find solutions to the problems.
Pros
scheduled work week, benefits, vacations.
Cons
inability to advance.
Productive and competitive workplace
Bilingual Customer Service Analysis (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaSeptember 20, 2018
I work at the Georgia Department of Revenue for almost a year. Basically, My Daily work was answering phone calls (inbound and outbound) by assisting taxpayers in English, Spanish and French.
Not a pleasant place to work
Auditing Technician (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTSeptember 16, 2018
The “long term” employees that have been there since DOR opened its doors, are not welcoming whatsoever. If you are of the younger generation, the long term employees will have it out for you. Supervisor in BIT unit seems to love gossip and is not good at managing. There are many other state departments that are great, don’t waste your time at Dept of Revenue.
Pros
Cons
Work environment, management
nothing i didnt mind answering
Mail service Tech (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOSeptember 6, 2018
great place to work with great benefits. Ive learned a lot about taxes and what forms i need to fill out and send in when certain things arise in my life. Nothing is hard because i genuinly enjoy what i do.
benefits
The works are productive, strictly management people
TAX EXAMINER I (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 28, 2018
It is a very competitive, secure , advancement work place. The agency provides a lot of benefits to the hard working employees , I have no bad comments.
Pros
It offers a very better pay rate than other agency
Cons
Reasonable time off benefits for long service employee
fast paced and fun work environment
clerk 1 (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 10, 2018
I would get to work and sit down at my desk. I would log on place my headset on and start taking calls. the people that sat around me were very friendly, And very helpful if I had a question.
Tough skin job
Revenue Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 2, 2018
DOR is a very difficult job because of the managers. The job itself is not hard at all. But the managers are micro-managing their employees. They may ask what your plans are for advancement, but they will not allow any extra training to help you to advance.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Everything else
you'll be laid off at a drop of a hat
Office & Administrative Assistant (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 1, 2018
I worked for demographics within the tax operations division, was told our lay off would start in September which I was okay with due to my daughter going to school, we were laid off in May and before that if they all of the sudden had no work we would get what's called work interruption so we did not get paid for being off sometimes a entire week! before you say yes to a position at revenue ask ALL the appropriate questions before leaving your prior position!
how i feel
Mail & Material Processor (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, MAJuly 24, 2018
I have been a seasonal worker for the DOR for 2 years now, i started there as a temp and worked my way to seasonal, i have learned a lot from them and continue to learn each time i am there and i am given more responsibility every year well liked by my co-workers & respected, unfortunately they do not have a full time permanent position for me at this date.
Pros
great people
Cons
no permanent position
Work life balance decent, pay isn't so good.
Revenue Tax Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 23, 2018
The state is big on work life balance. Supervisors are okay. Not much autonomy to make own decisions. There is a lot of training and resources available to you to perform your position.
Pros
Flex Schedule
Cons
Pay, Lack of Autonomy