Department of State Health Services Employee Reviews

Wonderful work environment
Population Based Services Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  Mexia, TXFebruary 18, 2019
This place is so flexible when it comes to your family needs. Would be perfect if they paid enough to meet the demands of today's economy. Would recommend having a spouse of a second job.
great benefits
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 11, 2019
Good benefits but not the best pay. Plenty of paid time off in both sick days and annual leave. Management can award administrative leave for good performance as well.
I hope to help accomplish being self sufficient and make a difference in someone's life.
Prevention Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 30, 2018
I worked in Newborn Screening for over 15 yrs as a Public Health Prevention Specialist working with families whose child had an abnormal newborn screening, staying on top of the parents to take their children for a follow-up and additional testing to make sure their baby doesn't develop abnormalities because of the lack of care.
Pros
making sure necessary steps were taken to gain positive results.
Cons
becoming too attached that you become emotionally drained and lose focus with your personal life.
wonderful environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 16, 2018
every one is helpful and we all work together. the pay stinks. They are extremely flexible with scheduling when needed. you are supported in everything you do.
Pros
wonderful environment
Cons
pay
Interesting and diverse work environment which provided important public health services to the State of Texas
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed working in a diverse environment which provided important and viable public health programs and research for the State of Texas. I learned a vast amount of office management skills, and various data bases and purchasing knowledge. I enjoyed the interesting and fast-paced day to day work schedule with a variety of job duties. The hardest part was having to be responsible for many different areas and fill in when another admin was absent. There were at times not enough hours in the day but made for a challenging work environment. The most enjoyable part were the people striving to bring the best public health services to the residents of Texas. They provided knowledge of outbreaks, water testing and food testing results and provided public service to keep Texans safe and healthy.
Pros
State paid holidays, sick and annual leave, insurance, 401K plan, dental and vision insurance
Cons
Pay was not commensurable with job duties
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rusk, TXJune 27, 2018
This is an excellent place to work with great benefits. The retirement and health care benefits are great as well as the pay rates. There are a wide variety of careers offered.
Benefits
Cons
Tense work environment
great company
Public Health & Prevention Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Austin TexasMay 23, 2018
all in all it was a great company to work for, you would work 40 hours a week, no overtime. business was steady. I would def go back as long as the pay got better
Great first job
Public Health & Prevention Specialist I & III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 11, 2018
I enjoyed working for the state but the culture is not conducive for advancement. Many people are content with not working hard and are happy to just drone throughout the day. I loved my managers but the work was pretty easy and advancement was almost non-existent. I loved my time there and think it was a great first job!
productive and good work environment
Medical Technologist III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 13, 2018
It is a good place to work. Monday-Friday 8 hour shifts. good benefits with health insurance, dental, vision, life at reasonable price for you and your family. The employee health insurance is free. nice people.
Good place to work for Job/Work life Balance
ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 6, 2018
Not much room for growth, pretty much dead end, but a good job to have as a parent. The hardest part of the job is not being compensated for the work that is done. Not appreciated as a worker.
Pros
Flexibility, job security, comfort
Cons
No raises or promotions. Low pay.
Great Agency
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 6, 2018
Always let you attend training you would like. Great team members to work with. was able to explore other departments and get cross training. some area to move around
Great place
Intern, Social Work Aide (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2018
DSHS gave me a great opportunity to intern. The hardest part was being flexible with patient needs. I enjoyed working under the director and gained plenty experience.
Like working for any government entity
WIC Vendor Relations (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 10, 2017
The pay is under market value for the same job duties, but the job security is better than in the corporate environment. Insurance/Health benefits are some of the better ones I've had. Vacation/Sick leave policy leaves something to be desired
I'm looking to grow
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 20, 2017
This was my first job out of the military and it got me back into the pace of working as a civilian. I enjoyed my time but now that I've received my MBA I'd like to explore other opportunities.
Interacting with the customers
Admin II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2017
The best part in working at Texas Dept of State Health Svcs is interacting with the customers and there crazy stories they share. Sometimes I can't believe the links they go through in obtaining or trying to get their Birth Certificates.
Pros
Pro meeting new people that lives around the world
Cons
Cons not being able to service them
no review
MEDICAL SOCIAL WORKER (Current Employee) –  waco, texasOctober 12, 2017
Good company to work for, I have worked for several agencies and by far this one has bee the most rewarding. Supervisors are always there to help and encourage you.
Pros
good environment
Cons
no growth room
Job was relaxed
Research Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 5, 2017
Team lead is a great person to work for. Work is repetitive and pay is on the lower end. Work is not related to my degree field and my desire is to get into my original career field.
Everything hinges on the boss.
Accountant IV (Former Employee) –  Federal Funds ReportingSeptember 26, 2017
Right now the agency is going through changes. That is not good. The department where I worked used to be good. People left. They hired a new manager and the department changed for the worse. Upper management knows the problem. Nothing gets done about it though. The pay is poor. There is a lot of micromanagement which equals stress. The boss didn't treat people fairly. She was unstable and not qualified to manage an ant farm. Stay away from the general ledger unit. It's run poorly.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Horrible environment. Horrible pay. Horrible boss. Horrible days. Horrible building.
LOVE the job and
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 23, 2017
Love working with numbers and accounting is one of my careers goals numbers KEEP your mind sting as well as English you always have to spell and numbers you need this everyday.
Pros
Relax
Cons
Work load but don't complain.
I love it
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  WashingtonSeptember 9, 2017
Just need a second job.. I love the client and he is about to die so this is exactly why I am looking for a new job.. it's a tough job to have as you get attached to the client family