Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

I was an unpaid intern
Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 9, 2018
I did not have many roles as an unpaid intern. The people I worked with seemed nice enough there. I would like to know what it would be like to actually have tasks to do but it seemed like a stress-free environment.
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 4, 2018
Need more areas for advancements. Didn't seem to encourage employees about reaching their full potential. Long overdue for a raise for all employees at ADOT.
Was an intern
MANAGEMENT PROGRAM ANALYST (INTERN) (Former Employee) –  District of Columbia, DCOctober 3, 2018
I was an intern back in 2008 under the FAA. I do not have enough knowledge to speak on the job, although I do remember a positive work environment where there were many individuals ready to help me while I was there.
I enjoyed my time there
TRAFFIC OFFICER, TRAFFIC SUPERVISOR II (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAOctober 1, 2018
I promoted and was pretty happy working with Transportation. I was able to work close to home (most of the time) I didn't like having to change shifts
Pros
enjoyed my job
Cons
shift changes
Very fast pace
Clerk 3 (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 1, 2018
You meet a new person every 5 minutes depending on the transaction and the coworkers are very friendly. I’ve been here for twelve years but I’m relocating.
Pros
Half hour lunch and two 15 min breaks
Cons
You go to lunch once your transaction is over
Exciting place to work
Computer Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2018
Every employee could see how their job fit into the Mission Statement of the FAA. We worked very well together across different agencies. I was able to develop, create, and install computer systems around the country and the 10 regional centers.
Answering phones (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 23, 2018
It’s a very good job because it’s basically self paced and slow , I recommend it to any person that would Like a Slow job they even have part time if anyone is looking .
Great Company
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOSeptember 17, 2018
I really enjoyed my time with department of transportation. I have nothing but respect for them. I would love to work for the company again. I believe any work with the government is an A+
Cons
It's a pretty easy job all in all but if you like having a life outside of work then this isn't for you
Highway Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYSeptember 14, 2018
A typical day is fairly straight forward and honestly very easy. The only time the job gets frustrating is because of the winter but that's largely because people who have been there for years for some reason forget what to do when the time comes around. They also don't exactly care for people who have a life outside of the job, so if you say no enough times for OT be prepared to almost never receive a call again for OT till winter, and then be prepared to be worked like a slave. The state will tell you in your brief that you'll get x amount of hours of sleep during the winter, its a lie, you'll be lucky if you get 4 hours of sleep in the middle of a storm so you best be willing and ready to plow snow for about 24 hours straight, longest I did was roughly 22.
Pros
easy
Cons
zero life outside of work, life must revolve around the state
Great place for someone entering the work force
Human Resources Technician - Georgia (Current Employee) –  Jesup, GASeptember 10, 2018
This is a great opportunity for those entering the workforce for the first time. The GDOT has great benefits but they are competitive with the private sector. The GDOT does provide training and advancement opportunities.
Pros
Generous leave policy
Cons
Low pay
Hard-working and dedicated staff, focused on mission
Management Programs and Analysis Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2018
Outstanding place to work. Hard-working staff, working in support of both colleagues and completing the mission. Building has nice amenities (within federal government standards) and equipment/computers are state-of-the-art.
busy
Administrative Analyst (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 6, 2018
Stressful can be more training. Some people are nice. Location and Parking is great. Office space is great. Hardest part of the job is very stressful.
Lack of management
Air Traffic control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 5, 2018
Loved controlling airplanes, Management was poor. Oversight of
poor employees was very poor. Supervisors were afraid to take action with employees who were late to work or took advantage of longer breaks
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Shift work
Buzy office setting
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 31, 2018
PennDot is a very busy office for, mainly support for the City of Philadelphia and surrounding cities. Very comfortable work environment the task can be tedious and constant customer service would sometimes make the day go quickly. Hardest part of my job was basic mail and package distribution. Break down of incoming mail to be issued thru the departmental distribution system.{concept arranged by me} Days end was the gathering of outgoing mail and packages .Some Dept. do bulk mailing, in which letters or packages would require metering for postage cost. Use of UPS and FEDEX pickup and their delivery is an additional process.
Federal Aviation Administration- Air Traffic Organization
Assistant Air Traffic Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 30, 2018
In the ATO focus is on moving aircraft safely and efficiently within the national airspace system. Air Traffic Controllers are professionals and are treated as such. The FAA provides refresher and enhanced training to the workforce for success.
Great Job Culture and working environment
Accounting Associate I- Transportation AP (Current Employee) –  Department of TransportationAugust 29, 2018
Working for the City of Annapolis has it's challenges but the Transportation department prides itself on treating employees like family and working together to provide quality service to its customers. The management is stern but understanding and takes the time to work with and help their employees.
Worked on contact to the DoT
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 28, 2018
I don't feel qualified to judge the Department of Transportation as an employer due to the fact that I did not work for the Department of Transportation directly.
Productive and relaxed atmosphere
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 28, 2018
Work environment is one to learn and grow in. Management is great and the culture of the workplace is diverse and experienced. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the updates. But even that presents a good challenge for growth.
Pros
Great Leader
Cons
n/a
Early hours and Good Salary + Benefits
CPESW (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 25, 2018
Great team work opportunity for advancement, annual pay increases early shifts, competitive work place. Convenient time clocks throughout facility. Multiple lounge areas with vending machines.
Pros
Early shifts.
Cons
Speedy Work Pace
Nice Job
Intern (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 24, 2018
This was very cool place to work, you meet a lot of cool people. But its a state job so its so unorganized. So days you will do nothing then others you don't stop moving.