Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Flexible work schedule
Web Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 18, 2018
Flexible work schedule is awesome. My manager is very, very good, but I haven't been very happy working here. It's only because I work in DC and live in Baltimore. However, I do get to work from home at least one day a week.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Government
(ADMINISTRATIVE ASST) OFFICE (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 13, 2018
Maintained office services by organizing operations, and procedures, completing payroll, controlling correspondence, designing filing systems, reviewing and approving requisitions, assigning and monitoring clerical functions. Making office supplies arrangements, scheduling meetings and attend conferences.
Pros
Learning about oil, petroleum and gas transfers
Cons
being a Contractor
Great learning experience
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 12, 2018
political environment, at the same time a great place to learn how the government operates. Fast-paced, long hours, but a good place for me to learn administrative skills
productive
BRIDGE OPERATOR (LEVEL 2) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2018
A good place to work, good benefits, great hours, and great people but the only bad thing is if you want to go different departments you better know someone there that's the only way they will hire you this is what I see from the first place I started working here. Overall a good place to work
Pros
good place to work
Cons
need to know people to go to different position
Not as bad as people think.
DMV Transportation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 5, 2018
This job is not as bad as people think. I had lots of people that help each other, there needs to be a better rotation for staying late. Having to stay open till the last person leaves, makes it hard to plan more so with kids and not knowing when you will be getting home.
Great Environment
Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILDecember 4, 2018
I would have loved to continue to work for this company. My position was only temporary and I could not continue to work for them. I was only there a month
Air Traffic Control is Unique
Air Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHDecember 3, 2018
As an air traffic controller for the Federal Aviation Administration you are mostly insulated from typical government office politics...mostly. It's a great job and it's important. The money at the higher level facilities is excellent. The schedule is brutal. Expect to work nights, weekends, holidays, overtime, and expect to do it for your entire career as a controller. It is hard to get days off in short notice. To summarize, it's the best darned job you could ever hope to do-if you are cut out for it. If you aren't, it'll be horrible and you'll probably wash out or bid into a staff or supervisory job. Just remember where you came from if you do.
Pros
Challenging work, Interesting work, Important work, Well-paid work
Cons
Schedule, schedule, schedule
Environment
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJDecember 3, 2018
Overall it was a good place to work with nice pay and good benefits. The people there were also understanding and flexible with any sort of situation someone may be in.
very determined enjoy my training
El rio (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 29, 2018
fast learner great customer service skills great people person hard working great staff its all about the customer and how they feel customer is always right
Great benefits with job security.
Airway Transportation Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 29, 2018
The position does require a lot of self teaching but the tools are provided and there is opportunities for extensive training. The certification for the power system includes a fairly limited choice in work schedule but all schedules are accounted for with pay differentials.
Pros
Learning lots of different trades and how to work on various equipment
Cons
Shift work and having to earn seniority in order to be able to choose desired shift.
Decent Place to Work
General Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2018
Working at a Department of Transportation agency has not been horrible. As with any organization, there are some managerial issues that need to be resolved to improve workforce morale. I believe there's good work here, but enthusiasm varies from project to project.

Compensation has been great.
Keep on Busing
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 25, 2018
Working for the school district is just fine. Pays well, pleasant people, no drama. You just do your job, and when the days done, you head home to the family at a decent time.
Benefits
Cons
The kids
I wasn't involved with the front end of DMV, I took care of Reconciliation of documents being sent to Corporate and preparing the money for deposits.
Temporary Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORNovember 21, 2018
I loved working for DMV and the employees were great to work with. I wished the job had been full time, I probably would still be there. It is a challenge working with the public, but you go with the flow.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Short timer
Early retirement
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  College Park, GANovember 18, 2018
Power and Money hungry leadership. The leadership of the FAA do not follow their own policies and often break the law. Multiple EEO lawsuits inAir Traffic, against their Executive leadership. Discriminatory hiring practices
benefits
Cons
Air Traffic FAA leadership
Best Security Job Ever
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 8, 2018
Great place to work, great pay for security, low stress, working a second or third shift has little interaction with the public. Most coworkers are great people.
Excellent place to be
Construction Representative (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 8, 2018
Absolutely the best career for me, good people, equipment, benefits, ,supervisor was always open to ideas as was enginnering branch, facilities was all new in 2002
city of midland transportation.
City of Midland (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXNovember 5, 2018
*fun out side most days but had a good time working its physical job.
*i learned how to put faces on a old stop signs. i learned how how to make street all kinds of signs learned to stripe the roads white side and yellow side solid yellow line with stripes, I learned how to lay thermal cross walks and lay buttons and learned how to tapper cones.
* the hardest part of the job was keeping the sign pole level as the oger hammer hammers a 14 foot pole in the ground about 6" in the ground.
*the best benefits and discounts almost eveywere.
Pros
major discounts
Cons
insurance is way to expensive for the family plan
great job
Air Traffic Controller (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 30, 2018
this was a great job that allows for advancement and relocation. it can be hard to get into but if you are fortunate enough to get into this field is has great potential. it is very challenging and if you are not able to pass all criterion you can find yourself without a career very fast.
A good place to work, great pay and benefits. Only 2-3% of all candidates succeed
Front Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Teterboro, NJOctober 25, 2018
As an air traffic controller it is a Very high paced and at times stressful job. But it feels very rewarding, the pay and benefits are excellent, and you feel like you are in exclusive company since only about 2-3% of all applicants succeed.
The downside is that your working hours can be all over the place. It involves 8 hour shifts, and your days off can be any days of the week.
Despite all this, I still highly recommend this career for whoever has what it takes.
Pros
High pay, excellent benefits, early retirement
Cons
Shift work, mandatory retirement at age 56
Office Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 22, 2018
If you have a background in customer service, engineering, environmental issues, finance, road construction, highway maintenance, this is the place for you. Be ready to be out in the community making presentations about various projects involving road, construction or any transportation issue that will impact the city residents.
Pros
Flexibility to move learn and advance.
Cons
Serving as an at-will employee.