Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
An excellent agency to work for.
Drug & Alcohol Compliance & Enforcement Inspector (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLAugust 14, 2018
I was allowed to work from home bi-weekly four days a week and bi-weekly about 21 weeks annually. Received 30 days of annual leave and 4 hours of sick leave each pay period.
Over baring
Security Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2018
Workplace success is a byproduct of how well employees work together and accomplish goals to help the organization grow profitably. Sustainable success is a function of how well the employees know each other’s strengths and utilize them rightly to maintain momentum. In the most fluid and high-performing workplace cultures, the differences in people, their cross functional roles and department duties and the dynamics of hierarchy and rank are perfectly in sync. Simply put, it’s about how the “dots connect” within the workplace’s interconnected field of diverse personalities, capabilities and skills sets, competitiveness and expectations. What still remains unknown in most workplaces is the dot each employee represents.
Great work environment.
Transportation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILAugust 8, 2018
A typical day consisted of reviewing emails and assignments. There was always something new to learn and the atmosphere was very professional. The job was fairly easy as I had done this job for 7 years at another location. The best part of this job was meeting new people and learning of their backgrounds.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Cons
Location was not close to home.
The job of a lifetime
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  VariousAugust 7, 2018
Most people ask how I handled the stress but I didn't find the job that stressful after all. Dealing with management at times was more stressful than the job itself!
laid back place to work
Aviation Safety Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AR 72202August 7, 2018
For an office environment, this is a very relaxed and slow paced place. I would prefer something more challenging, but for an entry level position this is a good start. When it comes to management things like people not doing their job is ignored while someone wearing shiny shoes is a huge deal. Complete incompetence is overlooked while a misspelled word on an internal document that is going to be thrown away is pointed out. But this does not go to for the FAA as a whole, that I know of. The FAA is a great branch to work for. They have programs to help pay for child care, elderly care, as well as public outreach programs.
Pros
benefits, stable government job, good people
Cons
office specific ridiculousness
Depending on Mode you are in Can be very Stressful
Management Analyst - Funds Manager (Former Employee) –  VAAugust 7, 2018
I retired from this Agency after many years with the Federal Government. The Agency as a strong commitment to Transportation etc. However there is alot internally that needs to be worked on.
Not sure about the question
Did not work here (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYAugust 7, 2018
I feel its unfair that I would have to write a review about an organization that I never worked for therefore I am simply filling in the required blank with the number of characters required
Federal Job
Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  College Park, GAAugust 6, 2018
Another day another dollar with Benefits. Gym, child care, and parking available for employees working in the southern region location in college park GA.
Proditive
Front Desk Receptionist, Intern and Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 1, 2018
get a chance to learn and understand new jobs skills and duties. Adopt good office environment.
Make me on time in office all the time.
Cover my projects before due date.
Help my coworker.
Be good in the books of supervisor.
Oriductive and worthwhile place to work
Aviation Safety Inspector (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 1, 2018
Great place to work. Freedom to write and engae in the regulation of the civil aviation world. Given an opportunity to fly several hours a month in a small jet to maintain piloting skills, always had the possibility of advancing.
One of the few federal agencies that paid bonuses
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 29, 2018
Collaborative work environment that recognized hard work with bonuses. On-site gym made it convenient to never miss a workout. Numerous learning opportunities.
Good pay but endless paperwork and red tape to get anything done
Senior Engineer/ Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 28, 2018
Good job security; other than that the GOV is a boring place to work.
Management is poor; no real leadership at the top, middle or bottom!!!! Only work for the FEDS if you can't find anything else!!!!!!
harrasment
Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVJuly 26, 2018
Corrupt unethical culture. It is not a good environment for professional people. the entrenched self-serving bureaucrats
treat the organization as their personal bank to finance excessive and unnecessary travel..
Pros
good Pay
Cons
you have to be unethical to succeed.
Great environment to begin my professional life
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 26, 2018
I got to know some very interesting and smart people focused on providing great sevices to our communities and people of DC.

I worked in two different offices in my short time there and enjoyed every minute of it.
A great place to work. Great workforce.
Pipe fitter/ Plumber (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 25, 2018
I worked there 15 years. The best job I ever had. Working on ships was a lot of fun. The job was very interesting. My coworkers were some of the finest individuals I've ever worked with. We were like family. I wish I never left.
Pros
Plenty of Ot.
Cons
Cold Winters
Very close knit unit
External Auditor (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTJuly 23, 2018
While not everyone works in the same unit, all the auditors form a very close knit unit. Meetings are together as well as most training. Family is very important. It is a relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
training, close knit group, some mentoring
Cons
needs more mentoring, current employees must compete with outsiders for positions
The people are helpful and friendly
Administrator Assoc (Current Employee) –  United StatesJuly 20, 2018
I been on this job for a great of and enjoy working for the people they surround me,with very friendly and learn a lot seen I been working for this Department
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Health insurance is good
fast pace
Compress Natural Gas Inspector (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 18, 2018
very good time in regard to learning but I had to go to be relocated. Friendly people and somewhat stressful because I stayed busy. Good time and now its time for new challenges
Pros
Free time
Cons
Stress
very nice place to work if your up for hard labor and good money
DOT Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 17, 2018
a ordinary day at work is getting suited up for the highways get all of our equipment from the shop and get straight to work also we set a goal for the day such as starting at the spots that may take longer
Politics and cutthroat
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT/ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  DelawareJuly 14, 2018
Very Political and favoritism; 37.5 hours a week and job security

The employees were great!! You didn't know what Manager to trust and no support.
benefits
Cons
management