Department of Transportation Culture reviews

Found 188 reviews matching the search See all 1,009 reviews
Awesome atmosphere
Licensing Specialist II Motor Vehicle (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 13, 2019
The DOT is a great place to work. Great management team and coworkers. There is always someone there to help and assist you with questions. There is never a dull day and there is room to grow. Management Team supports you and gives you the tools needed to be successful.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Legislators control when we get raises
Great mission
PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 6, 2019
The DOT, and more specifically, the FAA, has a great mission which is why I enjoy working there. I'm proud of the opportunities I've had to improve the National Aerospace System.
Pros
Competitive pay and good benefits.
Cons
Government jobs are subject to furlough which has happened aa few times in my short career.
Great place for someone entering the work force
Human Resources Technician - Georgia (Current Employee) –  Jesup, GASeptember 10, 2018
This is a great opportunity for those entering the workforce for the first time. The GDOT has great benefits but they are competitive with the private sector. The GDOT does provide training and advancement opportunities.
Pros
Generous leave policy
Cons
Low pay
Great to work with
Cost Engineer and Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2019
Good work life balance. Great to work with. Great Benefits and great team. Would recommend working here. Great benefits and discounts. Good work ethic.
Air Traffic Control is Unique
Air Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHDecember 3, 2018
As an air traffic controller for the Federal Aviation Administration you are mostly insulated from typical government office politics...mostly. It's a great job and it's important. The money at the higher level facilities is excellent. The schedule is brutal. Expect to work nights, weekends, holidays, overtime, and expect to do it for your entire career as a controller. It is hard to get days off in short notice. To summarize, it's the best darned job you could ever hope to do-if you are cut out for it. If you aren't, it'll be horrible and you'll probably wash out or bid into a staff or supervisory job. Just remember where you came from if you do.
Pros
Challenging work, Interesting work, Important work, Well-paid work
Cons
Schedule, schedule, schedule
Excellent place to be
Construction Representative (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 8, 2018
Absolutely the best career for me, good people, equipment, benefits, ,supervisor was always open to ideas as was enginnering branch, facilities was all new in 2002
Productive and relaxed atmosphere
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 28, 2018
Work environment is one to learn and grow in. Management is great and the culture of the workplace is diverse and experienced. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the updates. But even that presents a good challenge for growth.
Pros
Great Leader
Cons
n/a
Early hours and Good Salary + Benefits
CPESW (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 25, 2018
Great team work opportunity for advancement, annual pay increases early shifts, competitive work place. Convenient time clocks throughout facility. Multiple lounge areas with vending machines.
Pros
Early shifts.
Cons
Speedy Work Pace
Micro-Management at its Finest
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 12, 2018
It was a tough work environment, the culture was quite political, and micro-management styles were undermining and belittling, some customers were openly hostile and unprofessional. Others were professional and collaborative. But seems as if I was assigned to most of the hostile customers. I realized that I was not a good fit for that department, and resigned. My manager was fair and reasonable, but due to political culture, his hands were often tied (observation).
Pros
Good assignments, teleworking opportunities, helpful and knowledgeable coworkers, free parking, good benefits and pay. Had reasonable manager.
Cons
A couple of Team Leads undermined me in meetings, hostile customers, personal boundaries not respected, hard to contribute to team because cliques.
I really enjoyed working for DOT.
Analyst Programmer III (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 16, 2018
The people I supported at DOT were great, the work was challenging and I really enjoyed my management and peers. The work environment was pleasant also.

Want to know more about Department of Transportation?

Ask a question
A typical day at work
Management & Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 5, 2019
Show up and go to work. Very little manager involvement due to knowing position well. Workplace culture is outstanding with everyone getting along well with others.
Pros
paid time off, low stress
Cons
commute
Great Family Environment
TRAINING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 23, 2019
The past 19 years, I've enjoyed going to work everyday. There are too many things to list about what I've learned over the years there, but to list a few:

Team work
Commitment
Office etiquette

I've been privileged to have multiple GREAT managers. Their door was always open to individuals and I highly respect each one of them.

The overall culture in the office is results oriented.

The hardest part of the job was the workload, and the most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers.
Pros
family atmosphere
Cons
workload
productive
BRIDGE OPERATOR (LEVEL 2) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2018
A good place to work, good benefits, great hours, and great people but the only bad thing is if you want to go different departments you better know someone there that's the only way they will hire you this is what I see from the first place I started working here. Overall a good place to work
Pros
good place to work
Cons
need to know people to go to different position
Its an Okay Job.
Airframe Structures Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hapeville, GAApril 2, 2018
Its what you can make out of this job. You have to find internal pleasure trying to help people comply with safety regulations.
Management culture is political .. Friends of friends are advanced.
Technical folks have limited opportunities to advance.
Pros
Secure. . Good place to retire.
Cons
Little Room for advancement
Great work environment.
Transportation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILAugust 8, 2018
A typical day consisted of reviewing emails and assignments. There was always something new to learn and the atmosphere was very professional. The job was fairly easy as I had done this job for 7 years at another location. The best part of this job was meeting new people and learning of their backgrounds.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Cons
Location was not close to home.
harrasment
Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVJuly 26, 2018
Corrupt unethical culture. It is not a good environment for professional people. the entrenched self-serving bureaucrats
treat the organization as their personal bank to finance excessive and unnecessary travel..
Pros
good Pay
Cons
you have to be unethical to succeed.
Over baring
Security Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2018
Workplace success is a byproduct of how well employees work together and accomplish goals to help the organization grow profitably. Sustainable success is a function of how well the employees know each other’s strengths and utilize them rightly to maintain momentum. In the most fluid and high-performing workplace cultures, the differences in people, their cross functional roles and department duties and the dynamics of hierarchy and rank are perfectly in sync. Simply put, it’s about how the “dots connect” within the workplace’s interconnected field of diverse personalities, capabilities and skills sets, competitiveness and expectations. What still remains unknown in most workplaces is the dot each employee represents.
Stressful work
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSApril 9, 2018
The environment is very stressful and competitive but the management is well aware of that and does what they can to remedy it there are lots of ways to de-stress when you are on a break, like a ping pong table.
Like the military except with paid overtime.
Air Traffic Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 22, 2018
Plenty of advancement opportunities. Military culture, most coworkers prior military. Management seems preoccupied with the big picture and feels like I get lost in the shuffle at times.
A great place to work
Temporary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 9, 2019
DOT was a great place to work. The people I worked with were excellent trainers. Since I was working two jobs at the time, it was necessary for me to leave DOT and focus on my job with Mary Kay, Inc.
Pros
Part-time position