Department of Transportation Culture reviews

Best Security Job Ever
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 8, 2018
Great place to work, great pay for security, low stress, working a second or third shift has little interaction with the public. Most coworkers are great people.
Excellent place to be
Construction Representative (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 8, 2018
Absolutely the best career for me, good people, equipment, benefits, ,supervisor was always open to ideas as was enginnering branch, facilities was all new in 2002
I really enjoyed working for DOT.
Analyst Programmer III (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 16, 2018
The people I supported at DOT were great, the work was challenging and I really enjoyed my management and peers. The work environment was pleasant also.
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2018
Central location for the downtown metro area, a great place to work. The people were nice and friendly, able to collaborate smoothly. The supervisor was great and respectful of all employees.
Great place for someone entering the work force
Human Resources Technician - Georgia (Current Employee) –  Jesup, GASeptember 10, 2018
This is a great opportunity for those entering the workforce for the first time. The GDOT has great benefits but they are competitive with the private sector. The GDOT does provide training and advancement opportunities.
Pros
Generous leave policy
Cons
Low pay
Hard-working and dedicated staff, focused on mission
Management Programs and Analysis Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2018
Outstanding place to work. Hard-working staff, working in support of both colleagues and completing the mission. Building has nice amenities (within federal government standards) and equipment/computers are state-of-the-art.
busy
Administrative Analyst (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 6, 2018
Stressful can be more training. Some people are nice. Location and Parking is great. Office space is great. Hardest part of the job is very stressful.
Productive and relaxed atmosphere
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 28, 2018
Work environment is one to learn and grow in. Management is great and the culture of the workplace is diverse and experienced. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the updates. But even that presents a good challenge for growth.
Pros
Great Leader
Cons
n/a
Early hours and Good Salary + Benefits
CPESW (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 25, 2018
Great team work opportunity for advancement, annual pay increases early shifts, competitive work place. Convenient time clocks throughout facility. Multiple lounge areas with vending machines.
Pros
Early shifts.
Cons
Speedy Work Pace
Over baring
Security Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2018
Workplace success is a byproduct of how well employees work together and accomplish goals to help the organization grow profitably. Sustainable success is a function of how well the employees know each other’s strengths and utilize them rightly to maintain momentum. In the most fluid and high-performing workplace cultures, the differences in people, their cross functional roles and department duties and the dynamics of hierarchy and rank are perfectly in sync. Simply put, it’s about how the “dots connect” within the workplace’s interconnected field of diverse personalities, capabilities and skills sets, competitiveness and expectations. What still remains unknown in most workplaces is the dot each employee represents.
Great work environment.
Transportation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILAugust 8, 2018
A typical day consisted of reviewing emails and assignments. There was always something new to learn and the atmosphere was very professional. The job was fairly easy as I had done this job for 7 years at another location. The best part of this job was meeting new people and learning of their backgrounds.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Cons
Location was not close to home.
harrasment
Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVJuly 26, 2018
Corrupt unethical culture. It is not a good environment for professional people. the entrenched self-serving bureaucrats
treat the organization as their personal bank to finance excessive and unnecessary travel..
Pros
good Pay
Cons
you have to be unethical to succeed.
Great environment to begin my professional life
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 26, 2018
I got to know some very interesting and smart people focused on providing great sevices to our communities and people of DC.

I worked in two different offices in my short time there and enjoyed every minute of it.
Very close knit unit
External Auditor (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTJuly 23, 2018
While not everyone works in the same unit, all the auditors form a very close knit unit. Meetings are together as well as most training. Family is very important. It is a relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
training, close knit group, some mentoring
Cons
needs more mentoring, current employees must compete with outsiders for positions
Highway Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Delaware, OHJuly 14, 2018
Great place to work. You will be in relation to road repair fundamentals and direction of experienced personnel. Great leadership and employee relation.
Pros
Learn road repair, drainage, sight problems, safety of the roadway, You be competitive, and challenged to learn the values of safety, Learn to operate variety of small and large construction equipment.
Cons
Its your second home.
Dot
Trade Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 9, 2018
Great to get your cdl without paying for it excellent all around work experience team building and place for personal growth. I recommend it to anyone who is looking to figure what they like
Fun work place and Busy
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 27, 2018
In the morning it would be slow but then as it get's later in the day it get's busy and i start to move a lot faster. I have learned how to be more independent but also how to ask for help when needed. I learned how to sort specific files. I learned how to greet people over the phone in the right manner. I have learned to be more patient and always follow direction even if it sounds weird it might just work.There is really no hard part about the job. The most enjoyable part was getting to meet new people. Having the experience to be in a work environment.
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
staff meetings
Very great job to be at.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 27, 2018
I love my job. Everyone is very respectful and nice. I would recommend this job to anyone. They also pay really good. The kids can be challenging, you just have to build that relationship with them.
Pros
Retirement
Cons
Can be stressful
I was there for work not fun and games
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 24, 2018
I find pleasure where ever I work as I have a mutual respect for my fellow workers and focus on them as the individual that they are. Everyone is an individual created with his or her gifts
Pros
short but pleasent
Towing Representative I (Former Employee) –  6700 PULASKI HIGHWAYJune 20, 2018
Assist customers with getting thier cars out of impoundment learned how to help and go beyond the call of duty to get the job done management was awsome the workplace was fast pace the hardest part of the job is getting verbally abrusied by customers coworkers became like family
Pros
Good people