Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 4,436 reviews matching the search See all 4,474 reviews
Good
Sr. INFORMATION SECURITY ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 23, 2018
Good place to work. There is an opportunity to work from home ( Has to be approved by your Manager) No hustle for parking. Quiet and great atmosphere to work.
Decent place if HQ would keep out
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TX 79412September 22, 2018
We work well and solve any issues, When our higher headquarters sees our success, they get jealous instead of celebrate them. It is almost as if they don't want us to succeed.
a typical day at work
LVN/LPN (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 22, 2018
review schedule of patients for the day, make sure exam rooms are stocked, greet patient upon arrival identify patient by at least 2 identifiers (name full ssn or dob). obtain and document vital signs, brief assessment of need for appointment and document, review labs, medication lists, radiology orders completed. any outside records received and immunization status. room patient for provider to exam. assist provider with examination if needed. Exit patient to scheduling staff to assure follow up appts. are scheduled. clean exam room in between patients.
Pros
standard day
Cons
very busy at times
Poor
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 20, 2018
Poor customer service. Poor hiring practices. Poor accountability.
The buddy system is not good for hiring processes. The focus is no longer on the veteran, and attitude toward veterans is poor. I've never seen so many people work so hard to avoid working. "It's not my job" is never a good answer.
Review
Medical Support Assistant (MSA) (Current Employee) –  Neuropsychology and Memory ClinicSeptember 20, 2018
It's a great place for benefits and career if your trying to have a stable place to work. We do need to hire more staff because work load is stressful at time for employees.
It was a great place to work
Voucher Examiner (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 20, 2018
My job was pretty easy. A lot of office politics are played since it is an office environment. I stayed away from that and just did my job and went home.
Fast paced, diffrent routine
Unit Manager/ Administrator I (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 19, 2018
• Overall service delivery of the office, internal process management and company policy adherence.
• Collect, count, and disburse money (when in Travel Dept.)
• Coordination of onsite surveys, corrections action plan and compliance strategies.
• Collaboration with senior leaders in developing and implementing department changes to comply with regulations and standards.
• Resolve customer complaints and answer patient questions regarding policies and procedures.
• Provide employees with guidance in handling difficult or complex problems and in resolving escalated complaints or disputes.
Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages as needed.
Compile, copy, sort, and file records of office activities, business transactions, and other activities.
Operate photocopiers and scanners, facsimile machines, voice mail systems, and computers.
Compute, record, and proofread data and other information, such as records or reports.
Maintain and update filing, inventory, and mailing and database systems. Schedule and confirm patient diagnostic surgeries as needed.
Greet visitors, ascertain purpose of visit, and direct them to appropriate staff. Interview patients to complete documents, case histories, and forms such as intake and insurance forms as needed.
Receive and route messages and documents such as laboratory results to appropriate staff.
Compile and record medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
Hire, makes recommendation for hire, and evaluates direct reports.
Records and distributes minutes of Board of Director meetings (as needed)
Ensures
  more... compliance with all safety standards and regulations.  less
Pros
job stability, different duties every day, etc.
Cons
the veteran employee ratio was too much and resulted on poor and slow service
The VA is a place where your career goes to die
Systems Administrator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Hines, ILSeptember 19, 2018
Life for a contractor is different than a tenured government employee. That being said - the individual at the VA isn't really important. This place is full of glad handlers, suck-ups and brown nosing foreigners. I was shocked to learn that this place was like the United Nations in terms of ethnic backgrounds. It was almost to a fault that there is an unusually large population of minorities that work at the VA.

Management is wholly inadequate in terms of vision, talent and leadership. Most of the directors and assistant directors are not even seen. I worked for systems in the IT department, which houses full blown losers that have to sell themselves into this situation due to lack of opportunities in the job market. The software is ancient. The techniques used are laughable. There is however a strict cache of policy and procedure rule to follow and document. The only saving grace is working on enterprise wide networks but most of it won't help your skills nor advance your career.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Pay, benefits, ancient technology, too ethnic, management must be on Zoloft
Great Benefits
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hines, ILSeptember 19, 2018
Great benefits
Good pay
Love working with the veterans
Able to combine my administrative knowledge with my clinical knowledge
Weekends off
Holidays off
Could Be a Better Place
CAREGIVER (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MISeptember 19, 2018
Although I don't work inside the building, I have grown to learn how bureaucratic this place can truly be. Trying to coordinate care for a veteran, even if it is just with their doctor is like pulling teeth. The time it takes for nurses and doctors to respond to urgent matters is alarming and it leaves you to take it upon yourself to get pushy with other employees to care enough to do their jobs. I enjoy helping veterans, but the VA is a great example of a place that deters people from trying to or wanting to.
Productive place to work. Opportunities for advancement available.
Program Support Assistant GS-6 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2018
Enjoyed time spent working for the Department of Veteran Affairs. The work culture could be tremendously improved. Some employees are not qualified for the positions they hold and demonstrate poor attitudes towards the patients they serve.
Pros
With the right attitude a person can succeed at the VA
Cons
There are unqualified employees there
relaxed environment
intern college (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 19, 2018
It was a really good place to work but I found my preference was for independence. Nice atmosphere but every one is not made for office jobs. Good work mates though.
Pros
nice people and you knew you were doing something good
Cons
Office environment I felt caged
Excellent Job Opportunity
Security Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45428September 19, 2018
I love working at the VA Medical Center. Excellent growth opportunity and retirement plan. I now understand why it was so hard to get a job there. Everyone is so friendly.
Relaxed, but Stressful
Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 18, 2018
This is a federal job, which provides many benefits, to include paid annual & sick leave, and retirement. With that, comes much stress! The job to be performed is too much for the time, points, & other factors.
Flexible and Collaborative Internship
Writing and Editing Intern (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 17, 2018
I participated in a digital internship to develop web content for the Veteran Affair's blog. This included research, writing, graphic design, and editing. Very flexible as I could work from anywhere, and the platforms they used for staying in contact were manageable. Learned how to be in constant contact with other interns and supervisors. Culture of the workplace was generally relaxed and friendly. The hardest part of the job was getting the hang of the communication platforms, and the most enjoyable part is by far the ability to work remotely from anywhere.
Production and Quality are very important factors
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Must do a minimum of 150 claims per shift . It is easy to meet production when the claims are nice and neat and easy to ready , the leads are very nice people.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Hard to meet production at times when the claims are messy
Great for job security
Advanced Medical Support Assistant-Registration (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 17, 2018
There is a lot to learn both from the employees and the veterans. Also it is a pleasure being able to provide services to veterans. The work culture is exciting.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
health benefits
Working for the Federal Government does not provide extra frills
Senior IRB Analyst (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 17, 2018
The Department of VA is a great place to work if you are one for structure with less planning required to do your job. There is a standard within the research field that is followed by all VA facilities, therefore making work within certain guidelines an easier approach to accomplishing goals.
Pros
job security
Cons
short breaks
Veterans
Student Clinician (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, NYSeptember 16, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time spent at the VA. My entire life, I've known my true passion is to work with the United States Veterans. I was born into a military family, and take this population to heart.
Low moral
Personal (Current Employee) –  PersonalSeptember 16, 2018
Poor management which affects the moral of the good employees. Advancement doesn’t happen unless you know someone and unless you get close to you supervisor, you may not get a good recommendation to move to another area.
Pros
End of shift
Cons
No management support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K
41.2K

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight