Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 5,014 reviews matching the search See all 5,061 reviews
Enjoyed working with other Veterans
Program Support Assistant, Projects (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJune 25, 2019
Benefits are untouched by any private employer, really loved working with and around other veterans, training for the position was a little chaotic lots of work to get done snd trying to train me
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Not easy for advancement
Interesting and fast paced place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19104June 25, 2019
Good learning opportunities, good health benefits, alot of action which makes work interesting, much opportunities to provide help and direction to help veterans. Excellent customer services skills required, often veterans and family members there with problems who need patience and understanding. Constant new learning requirements and opportunities. Unfortunately management is often unfair, targeting employees and supervisors they don't like. A lot of reverse racial discrimination regarding hiring and promotions which management allows to continue.
Pros
Health benefits, very social place, many different positons to move up to
Cons
Slow pace for changes, very biased, mostly family/relatives employees
Mixed feeling
Ophthalmology Tech/Optometry Tech (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 24, 2019
I think that working at the VA you must love what you do. I admit I love my patients. I admit the job is easy, but the stress level is high. If you like the Union and it’s the place for you. I mean if you work hard and you won’t have problems, but watch out for the lazy people and if you tell them they have to work they will file a grievance with the Union and write to congress. If you get hired you are on the Gs pay scale if you have done the job for years I would recommend a step increase.
Everything that glitters isn’t gold
PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 23, 2019
Working for the government isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be! There’s no promotion in pharmacy and when an opportunity becomes available, management already have picked who they want in that position. ALL management are inconsistent! Only thing good about this place is job security.
The most horrible awful people you ever want to meet
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2019
The upper management of the VA, anybody above a GS-13 and anybody with a PHD are the absolute embodiement of evil. It is not about health care or anything else other than power and control. Honestly, these people need to be fired and then drug out of there homes and shot in the middle of the street. That is how much I hate these people and I have some very good reasons for it. I would not trust these monsters to tell me the time.
Pros
Cons
To many to mention
great experience
Peer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 21, 2019
professional organization, committed to care of clients, collaborative teams, great environment, great facilities, great staff. Absolutely a positive experience which afforded the opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Busy hospital
Student Radiological Technologist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 21, 2019
Worked as full-time x-ray tech, scheduler, medical assistant, and bracing/casting tech.
Very high paced office with very little staff, but I worked all positions to focus on satisfaction of our patients and our doctor.
Worked with many different situations throughout each day, from answering calls, assisting the doctor, x-raying patients, to helping with bracing and casting.
Overall, great people to work with. Like any other job, you will have a mix of good and poor employees and you just have to work through it.
Safety and Occupational Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 21, 2019
I would go back to the VA if the right opportunity came along in my new location. There is always more we can be doing and the work balance between some employees is not always going to be equal.
Stressful and not compensated for work performed
Primary Care nurse (Former Employee) –  OregonJune 21, 2019
Working with veterans is very rewarding, but VA management is terrible with little respect, pettiness, and work place harassment. In a an election year, the budget usually changes with non-medical services furloughed .Paid days off and benefits such as health insurance are great, just be aware of the requirements. Managers are "liffers" and if issue, the VA simply transfers manager to different location.,
Pros
Health Insurance, Paid days off
Cons
Management, Nepotism, Stress and work place harrassment
Don't do it
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 20, 2019
Go elsewhere. If you are a skilled healthcare worker, do not choose the New Orleans VA Medical Center. Go to any other hospital in the city. If you truly wish to work at a VA facility, then go to another city or state. New Orleans is a city that is behind the times. Unfortunately so is it's VA. I will be leaving shortly.
Pros
Federal benefits
Cons
Toxic work culture, lack of promotion opportunities, poor leadership
Great place to work the majority of the time
Maintenance/Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 20, 2019
productive, rewarding management was supportive for the most part, having to supervise veteran employee's with PTSD or alcohol issues. Best part was helping the good veterans.
Extension of my parenting
Military Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Merrimac, MAJune 19, 2019
This is not a typical position. I was a caregiver to my daughter who is a wounded warrior. I lived at Walter Reed Naval Hospital Base for 3 1/2 years. Once she was medically retired, we came home and I continued to care for her. The VA had rules and regulations to follow and had a caregiver administrator who was very informative and helpful. It was difficult at the Naval Hospital to be away from home and a military establishment, but I learned quite a lot during my stay that helped once I returned home.
Good place to work, but not able to move up
VA Medical Support Administrator Supervisor (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXJune 19, 2019
VA doesn't give personnel the ability to advance who are motivated and proven to make patient care priority. Proven track record here at clinic; went from last clinic as far as percentage to top clinic in our location
I love being around veterans. I am a Marine veteran and really love the culture.
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Crown Point, INJune 19, 2019
The job that I have is satisfying but I feel as though I need to broaden my harizon and try to utilize my talents and credentials and find a better living to suite my family as well as my own lifestyle.
Financial Accounts Specialist /Finance (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 19, 2019
I've learned many things working at the VA from finance, customer service, to personal interaction with our nations heroes'. My job is fast paced, many changes, but Iadapt well to changes and hard work.
great job
Geriatric Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Geriatric Social WorkerJune 19, 2019
 Engage patients and their families in the psychosocial assessment process to determine their needs and to provide services.
 Participate in weekly multidisciplinary rounds to discuss patient and obtain medical information relevant to patient care needs.
 Work closely with insurance companies to obtain patient authorizations for discharge planning.
 Help families obtain medical information by facilitating the communication process with their Physicians.
 Provide supportive counseling to patients and their families who are coping with illness and discuss special care issues specific to their needs.
 Make referrals and coordinate the process for skilled nursing facilities, and other common agencies.
 Discuss discharge options with patient, and in a collaborative effort with patient, family, and health care team, determine appropriate discharge plan.
Stale and gray. No passion in management, no concern for their employees.
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Muskogee, OKJune 18, 2019
No doubt the VA pays well and is a good place to work IF you can stomach the first 3-5 years taking calls in a mind numbing setting, with supervisors who offer zero help.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else in life
Dedicated employees
Program Analyst/Strategic Planner, Grade/Series (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20420June 17, 2019
VA has a reputation for not being a great place to work, but it depends on WHERE in VA one works. I am very happy with my colleagues and supervisor. But I'm not challenged in the job as much as I could be.
You're not the real police
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  NationalJune 17, 2019
No real police authority. Lots of oversight at the national level that requires significant energy to be focused on "make-work" tasks that have no impact on the security of your facility. The bulk of the training staff (Nationally) have no actual police experience and put out incorrect and sometimes dangerous guidance. No respect from staff as they know you're really just a security guard. The academy (mandatory no matter your experience or qualifications) does little to actually prepare you to work there. Those at the National level (OSLE and LETC) focus their existence on justifying their existence. A typical call for service involves bluffing the offender into compliance as you don't actually have an arrest option. If your intent is to work as a Police Officer this isn't the place to work. It is however a steady check and it is nearly impossible to be terminated.
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
Not a real police job
I wish I never left!
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 17, 2019
I loved everything about working for VA Office of General Counsel! Everything BUT the location; I wanted to be in the same time-zone.
I don't think I will ever stop regretting leaving!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K
41.4K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Department of Veterans Affairs.

Powered by Comparably