Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 4,065 reviews matching the search See all 4,097 reviews
Phoenix VA
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2018
Good opportunity to earn your LCSW. Sadly advancement is given to those that do not go against the grain. They do not have fair advancement practices and move "young" unqualified people into management positions without offering to interview others. You can advance if you are well liked, has nothing to do if you are qualified.
Pros
Great peers
Cons
Management is corrupt
Workplace culture
Supply Technician (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NC 28144July 15, 2018
Nothing much to say about this organization. it would take too long. It would not be fair to my fellow Veterans to talk bad about this organization. Hope things will change for them
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
A two year probation period is crazy.
Challenging and rewardin
Strategic Planner (Current Employee) –  VA Loma LindaJuly 15, 2018
Honored to serve those that served in each of the branches of the Department of Defense and seeing how each Veteran worked through their service and what specific issue they now life with as a result of service connected health issues.
Pros
Learning new skills in dealing with Veteran Issues
Cons
Can be emotionally challenging
You decide
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 14, 2018
Disabled veterans are criticized for medical appt, and have to sign up for fmla even though the appt is a VA facility, and have 3 times of appt then a healthy person. Sr management is more concerned about numbers then quality of services. Changes to software and operating systems are constant, and causes slower operating speeds and work stoppage. New systems does not live up to what was promised to us, which was a waste of money. When we talk about employees can't do their job, it's really about not enough training. Take surveys and have meetings on what to do to improve, and nothing is ever done. Average handle times have never been recalculated for 7 years, even though master agreement state that any changes have to do a new study and update the evaluation process. The evaluation for performance and average handle time is on different matrix. Sr management don't want to do the required work to terminate someone and crates new policies in stead.
Pros
It's working for the government
Cons
High turn over rate
Awful Atmosphere/Compenstation
Technical Client Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 13, 2018
This place was like a high school. Drama, tons of people that had been there forever and were incompetent and allowed to do whatever they wanted. Very non HR friendly atmosphere
Good to work for.
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 12, 2018
Great job for veterans and a good environment for students at Bakersfield College. They work around your class schedule and make working as a work study easy.
Workplace is what you make of it
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 12, 2018
Typical eight hour workday doing patient administrative duties. Great opportunity to be able to serve others and meet the needs of all patients assigned.
Great place to work.
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 12, 2018
Enjoyed working and serving our veterans who gave so much toward the security and freedom of our great nation. Learned a great deal about the veterans.
Pros
Overall, a good place to work.
Cons
Inadequate compensation
Stable employment
National Committee-person Waiver and Compromises (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 12, 2018
If your are looking for a stable job, decent pay and training, this is the place for you. Your flexibility is paramount. Your work day is stressful but you are compensated well. Management is approachable and honest when they can be. My work group is extremely hard working, open-minded, eager to learn, and is very dedicated. I definitely learned how to be myself and appreciate diverse points of view.
Pros
Good place to put in roots
Cons
advancement opportunity
I like working with a since of group effort on a daily basis.
Information Security Technician (Former Employee) –  Hines, IL 60141July 12, 2018
It was an enjoyable place to work but decided to relocate out of state but every where I worked within the department was enjoyable and I have good memories of working there.
Pros
lunch period tine was somewhat arbitrary.
Cons
the job tasks could get a little boring.
Supportive Workplace
Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 12, 2018
Typical day involved investigating white collar fraud, dealing with veterans benefits or VA resources. A new entrant can expect a low salary, but significant annual pay increases will happen during first 5 years. It is still difficult to support a family in the SF Bay Area with this government salary.
Pros
Take home government vehicle
Cons
high expectations
Fair and stable work enviorment
TBI/Polytrauma Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSJuly 12, 2018
My schedule is very predictable, my coworkers are kind, my supervisor is approachable and fair. There are many opportunities to gain new knowledge through training and continuing education courses and the environment encourages growth and promotion.
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lyons, NJJuly 12, 2018
Excellent employees, great company. Gives it's employees the chance to excel and get promoted. Gives you the tools to learn everything about your position.
Great people, Good pay and Benefits
Financial Accounts Tech medical billing follow up (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 11, 2018
Billing and follow up on claims is fragmented with specialized sections doing part of the process. Cubicle farm setting, specific goals are set by mgmt. If you don't make quota working accounts assigned you can/will be disciplined. I never had a problem with that. Loved the work and the people were great. I would still be there if we hadn't relocated.
Pros
People, Pay, Benefits
Cons
Cubicle farm, structured goals, stressfull
Interacts with veterans daily.
Secretary (Office Automation) (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 11, 2018
Independently completes routine tasks typically. Liaison between approximately 30 staff & other agency departments i.e. HR, IT. Enjoys fast-paced environment.
Pros
Mass Transit Subsidy
Cons
Micromanagement
Productive work place environment and the opportunity of working with Veterans.
Credentialing Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Haven, CTJuly 11, 2018
My work schedule is basically reviewing a file for processing and verifying the information in Vetpro, once the applicant has completed the process for employment.
Pros
Discounts on stores
Cons
No room for advancement in certain departments
Fast paced
Specialty LPN (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 11, 2018
The Vets are awesome to work with. Coworkers awesome. Management played favoritism. I quit because of the whole atmosphere. It’s not a positive place to work.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Great place to work people are kind and hardworking
Federal Liaison (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 10, 2018
To great place to work the staff there are very friendly and hard working. You learn a lot about mental house physical health and holistic treatments
Pros
Sick days 30 minute lunches
Cons
You're working hard for the veterans
I enjoyed working at the WBVAMC
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed my job at the WBVAMC but unfortunately I was going to school full time and there is no opportunity to work part time at this facility. Due to this I had to resign as a PACT LPN and find a job outside of the VA to work part time or per diem to further my career.
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, MAJuly 10, 2018
Steady pace of work lots of friendly people. Great benefits. enjoyed the patients and most staff. steady pay raises and cost of living increase. overall a great place to work.
Pros
benifits
Cons
a few bad managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K
41.1K

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight