Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 4,619 reviews matching the search See all 4,657 reviews
stressfull place to work
VCE (Former Employee) –  Muskogee, OKNovember 17, 2018
Was there for eight months. Initial training was conducted by persons who new little or nothing about how to train. Evaluations system was more about production than quality.
Patient care
Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 17, 2018
Offered stability but not enough staffing. Not enough opportunity to advance. Poor staffing and no breaks can lead to discruntal employees and poor communication
Pros
able to balance work n family
Cons
Low pay difficult to advance
I enjoy working with fellow veterans
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45428November 17, 2018
I enjoy going to work and making a difference in peoples lives. Hearing the stories other veterans tell can at times be heart breaking other times wonderful.
Steady job
Environmental Protection Assistant- GS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77030November 16, 2018
Good place to work with good benefits. Slow advance ment. Staffing not up to standard. In need of new leadership. A lot of work to do with little equipment and personal.
Fargo ND Department of Veterans Affair
Travel Voucher Examiner- Business Office (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDNovember 15, 2018
I really enjoyed my career at the VA. Our management changed in Fargo ND and the professionalism became unprofessional. Resigned 7/2014. When I first started there was so much potential climbing the ladder just not at the Fargo ND.
Pros
Working for the Veterans
Cons
New management unhealthy
Satisfying helping the Veterans
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CANovember 15, 2018
I loved contracting within the Medical Health Department assisting several medical doctors.
I had asked upon my re-hire full time permanent employee position to be placed back in the Mental Health Department.
They put me working within phone bank rotating me back and forth at the front desk scheduling whole clinic departments appointments
Greeting and registering patient walk-ins

I resigned felt it was not a good fit for me with not having the option to go back into the mental health department.
Pros
Working with the Veterans
Cons
lack of communication with management and being disrespected by supervisor
Overall A Great Place To Work
File/Scan Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCNovember 15, 2018
A Rewarding place to work (professional); communicating with Veterans from various campaigns. Veterans, Staff, Vendors greets you with a smile, this says much about the culture, the hardest part if there is one; would be not having enough specialty services when the need occurs.
Pros
Working with Veterans
poor environment
Administrative Officer for Nurse Executive (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 15, 2018
The worst place I have ever worked. When they fired my boss my time was over/ The supervisors were unfair and continually changing assignments. Problems with patients ere never addressed as staff more concerned about there jobs and benefits then the veterans Very unprofessional
Pros
hours
Cons
everything else, horrible
Applicable Skillsets
Legal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 14, 2018
Legal Administrative Specialist
competitive environment
develop critical skill sets
steep learning curve, but extremely repetitive
great benefits, advancement, and security
Amazing place to work
Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 13, 2018
If not for having to complete school and meeting those demands, I would have really stayed with the VA and I am certain I would have grown within that department. Awesome experience.
The department of VA
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2018
The Department of VA is a entry level federal entity that gives those that seek a federal career a fair chance of progression and career enhancement.
Pros
Great benefits and entry pay
Cons
Very Structured and slow to advance if you do not become proactive in your own career.
IT Specialist
Specialist / Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2018
I retired after 20 years on the job and found it a rewarding experience where the work provided has a direct impact on the mission of helping veterans. The work at the VA as an IT person can be challenging and at times frustrating but no different than any high paced technical job. I found my co-workers and subordinates hard working and dedicated to the quality of work they provided. The pay was good especially for the geographic area I lived in. and the VA provided good retirement and insurance. I would recommend anyone who is seeking a career in IT to consider the VA. You may make more in the private sector but you will not find a more important mission.
Pros
Good retirement, good insurance, and good pay.
Cons
Slow to provide advancement opportunities. Lack of cutting edge training.
Excelente experiencia de residencia en Farmacia.
Pharmacy Practice Residency (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRNovember 13, 2018
Durante esta residencia de Farmacia tuve la oportunidad de recibir conocimiento y experiencias enriquecedoras que me han permitido continuar mi labor en el ámbito de Farmacia.
Good
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CANovember 13, 2018
Good place to work. Great benefits. Thrift Savings plan with 1-1 matching. FSA pre-tax. Sick and vacation times and COLA benefits. Management works well with their employees.
This is a great place to have a long term career.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 13, 2018
I love taking care of our Veterans, and have had great career advancement opportunities at the VA. I have been promoted, and also received a scholarship for my BSN.
Pros
The benefits are amazing and unbeatable.
Cons
There is not the shift flexibility that the private sector has.
Awesome!
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILNovember 12, 2018
Loved working here and would definitely recommend. Great coworkers and management to work with. Clientele was awesome. The job was very rewarding and always something new, keeping it interesting. So much to grow and learn from here.
Va
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 12, 2018
I really enjoyed working here and hope to work for Veteran Affairs in the future. I worked in many different areas such as acute medicine, CLC, Post Deployment and Blind Rehab Center.
I enjoyed working in the Engineering dept. as a Program Support Assistant
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 12, 2018
I would process work orders, keep control of all building keys, Mail clerk, timekeeping, PIV Sponsor and ADPAC sponsor. I was able to work with little supervision and the work was very steady. There was always something to do to stay busy and there was no room for promotion with this position. I would radio the maintenance shops if there was work that was called in so they could be aware of what needed fixed or repaired.
Pros
Minimal supervision, federal job
Cons
no promotional opportunities
Poor Micromanagement
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 12, 2018
I thought I would enjoy it but once I actually saw how the department was ran I couldn't get out fast enough. I hated every moment I was there. The work was easy but management made everything more complicated than it needed to be. A lot of "snitches". I was never late but others who were late got in trouble because of all the eyes watching you instead of doing their own jobs. So horrible I would rather go back to the job I left for VA.
Mismanagement
Telehealth Clinical Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 11, 2018
Telehealth Chief was racist and sexist and treated all people of color as criminals. He was not a great supervisor as he only cared about disciplinary action for his own staff. Never assisted with promotion potential stating no one on the team deserves it, while most of us did his job on top of our own.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K
41.3K

Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

46%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss