Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 4,792 reviews matching the search See all 4,840 reviews
Do not work there
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 20, 2019
discriminatory especially in the Nursing Department. It is a crime to work at the VA. They do not care about the employees, discriminatory behavior, false reporting on employees out of retailiation.
20 years and I have seen the change
Inventory Manger Specialist (EX) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 20, 2019
The VA has its ups and down. Working here for 20 years I’ve seen big changes for the best and worst. Job security can be great depending your position.
Pros
Great benefits, paid time off, close to the city, semi family orientation
Cons
Vet pro process takes forever. HR department is slow pace
Review
Medical Reimbursement Technician (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIMarch 19, 2019
Medical billing of Outpatient, Inpatient, and other Speciality based encounters daily. Use of excel and one path spreadsheets.

The amount of work every week needs to be made since there are several tasks that all need to be done daily.

Telework is the best part of the job since it allows me to have a flex schedule.
Pros
Telework
Attitude Reflects Leadership
Patient Advocate (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 19, 2019
Extremely rewarding work environment when one is able to truly place veterans first. Unfortunately there is very little oversight on regional directors and supervisors at the local level. Much like management in the private sector medical industry, management is heavily rewarded for performing under budget. Due to lack of oversight and decreased protection of employees, poor management can deflect blame for failures to lower level employees while taking full credit for successes. When management is truly concerned about patient care, all is well. When management is only concerned about personal advancement, staff and veterans suffer. Also, directives and policies change with every election cycle.
Pros
Rewarding and fulfilling work
Cons
Lack of oversight on management, decreased employee protections
Lifer issues
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMarch 19, 2019
Great coworkers for the most part, those that have been there for a while have teflon lifer syndrome and don't do much. The lead will throw anyone they can under the bus to blame for their screw ups or deflect from thier issues. Management goes out of their way to cover for them and ride the newer people to pick up the slack, a real don't rock the boat or else atmosphere. I will not say that it isn't a good place to work. I would love to work there again, just in another department. Advancements is really hard to come by. Great work hours for most. Good pay.
Pros
Work hours, pay
Cons
Advancement, mid level and lower level management, don't rock the boat
Helping veterans receive their benefits
VARO (Current Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GAMarch 19, 2019
I'm just a volunteer at the Veteran Affairs office and my reward is seeing the smile in the faces of the veterans when you assist them with receiving disability compensations or answer any other questions.
Pros
receiving 'thank you' from the deserving veterans
Cons
no-pay for volunteering
A decent place to work
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMarch 18, 2019
It is an okay place to work but I am not a medical oriented person so the VA was a more difficult place for me to work. It is an okay environment. It was another government organization for me to work.
Pros
I was able to continue my government time
Cons
difficult working environment
Non-stressful and self paced
Student Assistant Vocational Rehabilitation (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMarch 18, 2019
I worked as a student worker for veteran's affairs. I was allowed to set my own pace with managing certain records. I also managed the incoming and outgoing mail. I enjoyed being able to do my homework when I had down time. I really liked the fact that the counselors did not add extra work when I already completed all my tasks. I honestly miss working they were so friendly and acted like a team. Only problem was the pay.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Low pay
Medical Biller
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 18, 2019
A typical day at the CPAC, which stood for Consolidated Patient Account Center, would be to review the previous day's billing submissions for errors or rejects. Once that had been done, I would then proceed to gathering the required information that I needed to submit the next bill on my que. Management was great. If I finished my work earlier than expected, I could ask for more hours and I would receive them.
Best volunteer opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMarch 17, 2019
The workplace was collaborative with different people everyday. I enjoyed working with veteran volunteers and veteran employees everyday throughout my summer.
Pros
Free lunch

Want to know more about Department of Veterans Affairs?

Ask a question
Research at the VA
Health Science Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 17, 2019
Overall great place to work. My position is term which is the only downside. Overall working there is beneficial if you have long term research goals.
stressful, gossipng place
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Loma Linda, CAMarch 17, 2019
no comment at this time very hostile work environment no training and most people are lazy so only a few people work at the hospital pay is not to scale for the area and the work
There is no room for growth.
data entry (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TX 79930March 16, 2019
There is no room for growth. The turnover is significant; however, when it comes to to interviewing for potential promotion opportunities it seems like they always have a individual in mind. The leadership is hardly ever looking out for their employees and does not seem to even care.
Crm work
Financial Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMarch 16, 2019
Reaching out to United States Veterans was both rewarding and an enjoyable experience. Working with some members of the government in financial services gave me the ability to see finance from the government perspective, which was very informative.
Worked here as an intern
Information Technology Specialist, Intern (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 16, 2019
I worked here as an intern trained by the Army. Internally it was more like I was used rather than being taught anything I did not know. Its a good place to get your legs if you have not had much experience.
Good
Housekeeping Aide (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 16, 2019
Lots of room for advancement I like dollars I like the people that I work for and I like serving the people that I serve typical day at the VA as peaceful As relaxing as I enjoy working here I've been here for 7 years or better and I just love the people and love Severn
Great opportunity if you can get it!
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Hines, ILMarch 16, 2019
Working for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs was a disappointment to me as the management there was basically didn't exist. I had,a couple of issues with full-time employees who were always not coming into the office, especially during the wintertime where the weather was a major factor during this time. When I started there, was given no instructions how to do certain things with newly built computers. It was finally provided to me after I had worked there for four months!
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Poor management
Nightmarish
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2019
Typical government environment which is fraught with the customary corruption. Nepotism, laziness, cronyism, etc.
Veteran employees are treating with suspicion if not outright contempt.
Informative and interesting
LPN I (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2019
Enjoyed working with veterans as I am a fellow veteran also, the atmosphere was very educational but busy at times. Enjoyed my coworkers and the relationships that I built within the VA.
Va
Veteran Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2019
VA is a difficult job stressful constant change.Often times laws change quickly hard to keep up . Data entry difficult and quality is overrated. Hard job and easy to get fired.
Pros
money
Cons
stressfull

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52K
41.3K

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight