Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 4,898 reviews matching the search See all 4,945 reviews
Great patients, horrible management.
Supervisory Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA 50310April 25, 2019
Backstabbing and cut throat. Management has a culture of elitism and will gladly lie and falsify information to maintain the staus quo. I worked there forn15 years and saw time and again how good people were sacrificed so they couldn't tell the truth about upper management. And you can forget about yhe useless Union. They spend more time in managements hip pocket than defending employees.
Pros
Awesome veteran patients
Cons
Everything EXCEPT the veteran patients.
fifty-fifty
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 24, 2019
Some days the VA can be good but other days it's very stressful. Depending on your boss it can be a great place to work or not so great.
i have been here for years and it's very hard to get promoted.
Pros
the benefits are great
Cons
mandatory overtime, regardless of what you have planned in your personal life i.e. travel, vacation, shows.
Good Place to work
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 24, 2019
This is a good place to work but the opportunities for advancement is regulated by the federal government. The employment data fluctuates due to decisions by the law makers. You always have to worry about government shutdowns and policies that will determine the federal jobs.
A great palce to work.
Safety and Occupational Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILApril 24, 2019
People and workplace culture were great. Learned that safety is paramount. Management very helpful. Always had the tools (computer hardware, and software) for the job. Company provided training when needed.
Pros
Training
Cons
Benefits, Healthcare
Interesting
Civilian Payroll Technician (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 24, 2019
While working here it has been interesting and very time constrictive. The worst part is the commute of over 2 hrs. per day to and from home. Needs to allow some leniency related to that as public transportation is very much a necessity.
productive and fun place to work in.
RN (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 24, 2019
Great place to work and excellent leadership. Professionalism and respectful environment. I love working here , I enjoy interacting with veterans and providing great costumer service.
Pros
carreer advancement
Cons
n/a
Stable employment
Employee Relations/Labor Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 24, 2019
Working for the Federal Government provides a stable work environment although not as dynamic as the private sector. However there are many protections for workers with union membership available to many employees. Working at the Veterans Administration is a deep honor to work with those who served the nation. There are several employees who take advantage of the work environment, but there are far more dedicated employees who work to serve those who served.
Pros
Stable work environment good benefits
Cons
Pay may not match the private sector
Laid back work environment
Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2019
I held a non-paying internship while i was in college. I had only been working 20 hours per week. I had good co-workers. I also valued all the training I received and used this in my other positions as i moved forward. The training for information security and HIPAA and really helped me in my career.
Poor management/enjoyed helping veterans
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 23, 2019
I would no longer recommend working at the Reno, VA at least not in Radiology. Great team in radiology,but poor leadership w/in that department. Pay is far before average for the area.Change in management in dept has cause a significant amount of unnecessary stress on staff. Large turnover rate.

The good...Helping the Veterans. Good crew although most are getting burned out. Time off is good although you’ll be covering holidays, graveyard and have your shifts juggled around w/short notice. Good health care.
Pros
Helping Veterans and most coworkers work as a team
Cons
Chiefs/supervisors are inexperienced and micromanage creating a poor culture
The job was great but middle management made it difficult
Maintenance Mechanic/Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 23, 2019
I enjoyed working with fellow employees as well as with and for other departments which were our customers. So many days started off waiting around for orders which we already knew. But we still had to wait. Communication is the key to most environments. There seemed to be no since of urgency at times when parts and labor was on hand and ready to go. I do miss so many great employees there.
Pros
Co workers made it so rewarding.
Cons
Management made it hard.
Not a good place to be
Customer Support Manager (Former Employee) –  North Chicago, ILApril 23, 2019
Managers at the location where I worked did not want the best people, they wanted the kiss ups. Leadership had no use for you if they could not control you and would black ball. Management controls what is done within the department. If you don’t play ball with them, they would go out of their way to make you look bad. It’s their world and they know that you cannot not prove how bad life at the va really is, all Department’s should be investigated.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad leadership
stressful
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson ArizonaApril 22, 2019
The VA is very short staffed so everyone is over worked and sometimes things get very stressful, and it may feel like nobody knows what they are doing. The job isnt hard, its just so short handed
benefits
Cons
short staffed and over worked
Do Not Work Here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 22, 2019
There are a bunch of ghetto, unprofessional idiots that are supervisors from the Finance, Human Resource,Food Service, EMS, all the way to HAS . They don't have a clue how to run a department, or keep personal feelings out of situations. AFGE Union is unprofessional as well. Nothing is confidential, and they have no power to resolve a situation. It was a waste of money for me. Very hostile, and a lot of employees could care less about the veterans. If you are about business and professionalism, this is not the place for you. You will not blend in with the stupidity and childish behavior.
Pros
Cons
Hostile work environment, childish co-workers
Challenging and productive
House Keeping Aide (Former Employee) –  West Haven, CT 06516April 22, 2019
A typical day consisted of teamwork and comradery. I learned a lot about the healthcare system. The hardest part of the job in my opinion was keeping up with the constant workflow. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was getting to meet new people.
Good Job, but no lateral communications
Clinical Research Monitor (Current Employee) –  AlApril 22, 2019
There is zero chance of advancement, and management does not make an effort to cultivate their staff for advancement. They seem to hold contracting personnel on a pedestal, but do not hold them to the same high standards as the VA employees.
There is no lateral communication on what is happening in various studies, processes. Information is kept like a treasured secret, until there is a problem.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
no concept of team work
A good place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 22, 2019
It is a great learning environment, exposed to a lot of different cultures. Flexible working hours. Great benefits and co-workers with competitive salaries.
Fast paced
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLApril 22, 2019
The job itself was exciting and interesting. I was not always tied to my office and I often went out to our Southern Community Based Clinics, Located in Port Charlotte, Naples and Sebring for maintenance and repairs. I also maintained the irrigation and grounds for our nearly 40 acre site.
I did not leave due to money or the work itself. My direct manager and those above him placed undue stress on myself and my staff.
Pros
Paid Vacations
Cons
Limited Advancement
RN Care Coordinator Home Telehealth (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJApril 21, 2019
I have been with the VA for almost 9 years from DC to NJ i have always has supportive supervisors and great jobs benefits are great
Woyld i recommend it as a place to work i say yes the benefits are great compatible with the private sector
Pros
Remote schedule
Cons
More educational trainings for staff
As a health team we learned and a lot and did a lot for the patients
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 19, 2019
It is a very hard to keep up with the ever changing climate of the VA, but in the end it was very rewarding for our health care team, the patients and their families, It makes our services better.
Pros
Health benefits and time off.
Cons
Ever stressful
cool place to work
Housekeeping Aid (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VA 23665April 19, 2019
meet lots of people. Work with and help veterans. The job was pretty demanding. It kept me humbled because some of the veterans were bound to a wheelchair for the rest of their lives.
Pros
always something to do
Cons
not everyone is a team player

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52K
41.3K

Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

43%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

43%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss