Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 4,724 reviews matching the search See all 4,764 reviews
Caregiver Program
VA Caregiver and Advocate (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 15, 2019
Daily advocate and live in caregiver for a 100 % disabled Veteran, Appointments and routine medical care from providers is difficult to obtain. However using the veterans other insurance allows for his continued medical treatment.
I enjoy assisting the veterans daily cooking, cleaning and listening to the veterans issues. The hardest part of the job is watching the veterans life deteriorate
I have learned that compassion and empathy is a must in this field
Pros
caring for veteran who served for this country
Cons
knowing that you are going to lose those individuals you care for
Productive, fun work environment
Care Giver (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 15, 2019
Typical day at work began at 8:00 am until 5:00 pm. Work days could sometimes last longer around the first of the month. I scheduled patients appointments and verified their insurance.
Pros
I enjoyed the work environment
Acctg Tech
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 13, 2019
Approved travel & expense reports. Balanced fund control points. Created travel for supervisor and CFO. Trained employees on doing their own travel. Created weekly report of fund control point balances.
I will never recommend anyone I know to work at the ATLANTA Dept of Veteran Affairs
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakwood, GAFebruary 13, 2019
The Atlanta VA is a horrible place to work! It’s unneccesarily stressful!!! The rating I’d give would be a -5 stars (negative number). They don’t pay employees what they’re worth. They devalue your worth if allowed to do so!!!
Very Stressful and poor management
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN 55415February 12, 2019
The title says it all. The VA is very poorly managed and the jobs are very high stressed. The VA is all about numbers, quotas, and stats. I would not recommend the VA to anybody except to get your foot in the door for federal employment.
Outstanding workplace
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 12, 2019
The collaborative culture within the Contracting office of the VA in which I worked as a contractor was welcoming, organized, well-run, and I very much enjoyed going to work each day.
Horrible
Secret (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77030February 11, 2019
This is the Words Federal Agency to work for, they care nothing about their employees. Management is promoted with in and never relative to the best employee choice.
The inmates are running the asylum.
Field Examiner (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 10, 2019
For the most part this is a good job but the daily stress of changing rules and spending more and more time accounting for our time rather than completing meanful work is discouraging. Management positions are filled by people with no experience performing the job of the employees they are managing and so have very little to offer as far as instruction and help with the job. Training is insufficient and the people making the rules seem to be clueless as to how changes affect the work.
Pros
Great hours and benefits.
Cons
More and more demands in an everchanging system.
Job Satisfaction
Administrative Officer - Department of Medicine (Current Employee) –  West Haven, CTFebruary 9, 2019
Enjoy serving those who have served. Job security and have fulfillment within my position that I am able to make a difference. However, there are not many positions available to advance at the point I am currently at.
Great example of government that works
Legal Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 8, 2019
Great training, excellent benefits!
Opportunity to advance. Frequent training and feedback on performance. Managers and administration were top notch.
Pros
Pay, benefits, opportunity, management
Cons
Expectations for call matrix high, high stress
Great Learning Environment
Chiropractic Internship (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 8, 2019
The VA provides a great working environment to learn and grow as a practitioner. The staff members are great and very helpful. The veterans at the VA were great to work with and they were very appreciative of the care that they were receiving.
Typical law enforcement source
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXFebruary 8, 2019
It was a great place to work, with friendly people, a sense of accomplishment given by supervisors on a daily or weekly schedule. Extra training in other aspects of the job offered and taken.
Pros
Fun place
Cons
Short breaks
decent place to work
Financial Accounts Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 7, 2019
decent place to work; my direct supervisor was awesome; only downside was advancement. limited opportunities to move up (government promotions happened very seldom).
Pros
job security
Cons
slow promotions
Short staffed
Butler Avenue (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WV 25405February 7, 2019
In the past 3 years we have been fully staffed for 4 months which makes it a stressful work environment working extra hours and picking up call more frequently.
Not a happy place to work.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 6, 2019
The culture is dismal. Staff is undervalued. Leadership is dishonest. The computer system/EMR is horribly outdated and a barrier to efficient, safe care delivery.
Pros
Pay and benefits are good.
Cons
Bad leadership, oppressive work environment, antiquated computer system
Work Study Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCFebruary 6, 2019
I enjoyed working at the VA, it was a great experience, I was able to assist veterans with getting there records ready to get processed for a disability rating.
Productive and fun job
Recreation Internship (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSFebruary 5, 2019
Great place to work. Management is highly involved with staff, ensuring success and acheivement at all levels. Staff works together well and assistants do a great job helping.
Fast-paced, ever-changing environment
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2019
I enjoyed working at the Veterans Affairs. There is a lot of interaction with all levels of management. There is great morale among the teams. We worked together to provide customer satisfaction.
Results driven with little or no acknowledgment of effort expended.
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 5, 2019
The benefits are wonderful, however, there is little or no chance of moving up based on education or experience. Federal mandates are impossible to adhere to, given the number of employees capable of doing the job.
Nothing to say
Rating Veterans Service Rep (Federal job) (Former Employee) –  Salem, NCFebruary 5, 2019
Working at the VA is very stressful, required work increases without warning. If you make your production numbers your managers want you to do more. I was 10% over production and was told I needed to get more done
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

52K
41.3K

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight