DEPARTMENT OF YOUTH SERVICES Employee Reviews

Productive place to work, you can learn a lot.
Group Worker I (Former Employee) –  Middleton, MASeptember 16, 2019
Pros; Learning new things, able to establish professional relationships with residents and staff. You have the ability to move up quickly.

Cons; Not really supportive, You my find yourself alone if no one supports your ideas. a lot of childish staffing.
Ups and downs
Cyso (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 13, 2019
Decent agency to work for depending on the facility you choose. Dealing with youth, co workers, and administration can be stressful at times. Work hours suck when someone calls off. Never fully staffed.
Pros
Cons
Alot
This place is breaking the law
Supervisor/GCW 2 (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 30, 2019
This is the only place in America that does not allow you a lunch break working 8-16 hours a day. Staff are always being assaulted and the administration will set you up for failure
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no lunch break
productive and fun working with young people
Youth Empowerment Officer (Current Employee) –  55 Regent Street BelizeAugust 20, 2019
a typical workday recruiting youth persons for different activities. Ive learn how to keep certain things confidential.We all work as team to get things done.The hardest part of the job is whenever we have big events the work becomes overwhelming and demanding. The best part of work is helping young persons to get jobs or social assistance from the state.
Good place to work just want better wages
Security Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Prattville, ALAugust 14, 2019
Good place to work you have retirement, health insurance, life insurance, and other benefits throughout the state plus you have the opportunity to do other jobs within the state to move around if you qualify
overall customer service
Shift Supervisor / Correction officer III (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 10, 2019
Working with committed youth in secure treatment facility and promoting positive youth development, implementing supportive behavior management system. Influencing positive change in youth lives by empowering their future. Focus on building individuality, treatment goals and structure. Encourage family engagement to the department, support family values and department’s goals so youth can strive for success.

Assist the Program and Assistant program Director in his/her absence, assumes responsibilities for the operation of the assigned shift
Conducts supervision in a timely fashion on a regularly scheduled basis
Perform the physical requirements of the job, restrain and CPR
Provide a positive atmosphere for learning and growth to all subordinates
Able to provide both positive feedback as well as corrective action to subordinates via supervision
Able to follow up and finish all tasks assigned by management
Create and improve current systems and procedures to help enhance the efficiency of the workplace
Act as a liaison for communication of any concerns from subordinates up through chain of command
A diverse culture of coworkers and male adolescents. Role models
Youth Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Mt. Meigs, ALAugust 4, 2019
Overall a positive work environment. Great opportunity to be a positive roll model for the male adolescents. A typical work day was being involved with the children. Helping them with school work and working on their interpersonal skills. I learned how to be a positive role model and work through crisis management. The workplace culture was like a melting pot of different life perspectives. The hardest part of the job was shift work and not being relieved when someone would call out. Also, difficult youth with traumatic history. The most enjoyable part of the job was group activities, field day, and the holidays with the children.
Pros
Secruity. State benefits
Cons
Shift work. No weekends off, unless you take PDO
Competitive Pay
Trauma-Informed Yoga Instructor/Educator (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 1, 2019
The clients and staff are easy to work with despite the intense environment. It is a great environment to learn and practice what I do. Administration is also accessible to answer questions and problem-solve.
corruption and nepotism at its worst
JCO (Current Employee) –  IRJCFJune 29, 2019
I would never recommend, this job is poison. And it’s not because of the incarcerated! But if you’re into sleeping your way through your career or being a “yes man” without asking questions then it’s the job for you! The way you’re trained to preform and the way management wants you to preform are total polar opposites.
Pros
Good pay & benefits
Cons
No breaks, too much mandatory overtime, poor management, too many managers sleeping with people they supervise.
Excellent and rewarding placed to work
Security Officer/ Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 14, 2019
I loved working for DYS, I would still be with them if my position was not abolished. It was rewarding working with youth and seeing them make a better life for themselves.
Pros
Excellent pay and rewarding job
Cons
Position was abolished
A very stressful environment due to lack of staff and management at that time
Special Education Teacher III (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, MOJanuary 20, 2019
When I first started working with DYS, I loved it, but as time went on, it went down hill. I went through 2 facility managers, 5-6 teachers, and numerous youth specs. People would often get stuck doing extra hours/shifts, due to no shows or call outs. I had to do the job of 3 people at times. When teachers would leave, I continually had to restructure the classrooms and place the students in the correct curr. due to teachers not leaving lesson plans, etc.

My Educational Supervisor was great!! I just wish he could have helped me out more to elevate some of the stress and I would have stayed!! He was always willing to help out whenever he could!!
Pros
free lunchs, Pto, benefits
Cons
no breaks, lots of no shows/call outs so you had to stay until somebody came to relieve you, pay is very low for the state
Department of Youth Services was a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 15, 2019
I started with the Department of Youth Services soon as I graduated high school. At the time I was in high school they gave me the opportunity to work for one week and go to school for a week which was called co-op.
Pros
Easy Travel
great
Transportation Officer (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MADecember 28, 2018
excellent place to work for im still here and planning my career to retire in a few years they train you well and you plenty of opportunity to move up
Great opportunity for advancement
Community Youth Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 24, 2018
I grew up in this leadership after school program. I started out as a member of the dance company then began to work in the theatre program. I eventually became the community youth development coordinator where I created and implemented fitness programs as well as leadership programs for kids and community outreach
Pros
Leaned how to manage
Cons
cant think of any
Clinical MSW Intern (Graduate) (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAOctober 17, 2018
Working with DYS youth was rewarding. At times it became challenging but everyday was worth the challenge to see if a difference could and would be made in the lives of a youth .
Very good place to work as long as you do your job
Administrative Assistant IV (Current Employee) –  Raymond, MSOctober 4, 2018
Here, you come to work and do your job. You can't focus on what others do or don't do. The benefits are great and there are many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Some great coworkers, a relaxed environment and chances for advancement
Cons
Some not so great coworkers
fun working with youth
Youth Specialist II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 24, 2018
Had the best supervisor and coworkers in our cottage. New to the area but never had any problems with my manager or supervisor. They were good people and treated everyone with respect.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
Great job I love what I do. It's just not enough employees there. To much work and not enough help.
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Mount Meigs, ALSeptember 10, 2018
They need to hire more workers. We prepare meals for over 250 children with only 2 employees per shift.Its a lot of work to do and not enough help.The company that were contracted with is Aramark it's not Department of Youth Services. Aramark is not right when it comes down to there employees.
Cons
Don't have good benefits
When working with the right staff, its very enjoyable.
Youth Services Group Worker I (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 22, 2018
The job isn't as hard as some reviewers had mentioned. The job salary could be bumped a bit more to be honest. I am very lucky to have the staff that I work with. Bunch of great guys that deserve a higher pay.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
starting salary
rewarding
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Marks, MSAugust 22, 2018
This position is very rewarding. I get to see juveniles change their lives for the better. I have a unique opportunity to make a difference in not only a child's life but also in the whole family.