Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Very productive and a stress free environment
Archaeological Technician (Current Employee) –  Dickinson, NDJuly 18, 2018
BLM do have time sensitive task but they give you ample amount of time to complete them. The work office and field are very stress free. I can do my work with out any interruptions and the individuals I work with are very helpful.
Pros
Helpful staff
Serving the land and public access
Associate District Manager (Former Employee) –  California Dester DistrictJuly 15, 2018
Protecting our countries land for future generations is a true reward and benefit for children and those US Citizens that value the outdoors and experiencing natures beautiful elements
Pros
Protecting or National Lands
Cons
Balancing Public Interests
Review Summary is Required
Human Resources (HR) Specialist, GS (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 6, 2018
DOI is a great place to work.
Maintains park structures, facilities, equipment and grounds through routine, preventive, and corrective maintenance practices. Conducts routine inspections to ensure proper maintenance standards are met. Maintains cleanliness of grounds and facilities.
Good for learning
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 3, 2018
They offered me a rotation program throughout all the roles in accounting to be able to learn since I am a new college graduate. This way I can learn accounts receivable, payable, real property, labor and auditing.
Pros
benefits, flexibility, work remotely
Cons
hourly, lower pay, government rules
great place to work, if HR wasn't so slow clearing background checks
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTJune 30, 2018
National Parks are great. But, Human Resources treats people like inanimate objects. I tried so hard at two parks to make people happy, and got excellent reviews. I tried to get into my third park job, and all I got was the hassle from HR.
DOI is a great place to work.
Facility Management Systems Specialist (Network) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 28, 2018
Working at NPS
I.T. Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJune 24, 2018
You work for NPS because you believe in the values. The benefits are good for permanent positions but may otherwise not be good for contracted work in terms of benefits and pay. People really love working for NPS. The values and mission alone is enough to stay regardless of pay.
Pros
mission, time off, flexible schedule
Cons
pay, takes longer to get things done (even hired)
A great place to work
Laborer (temp) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 23, 2018
Love the national park service best job I ever had I learned a lot of new work skills I got to do work outside of my job description things such as cutting and chipping trees and fixing pot wholes. Amazing co-works and management was great
Fun and safe environment to work in
BIA Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Fort Washakie, WYJune 17, 2018
Working at the BIA is a very fun but challenging opportunity. They required us to be in tip top shape to be able to go out and fight wildfires. It’s also a incredibly fun atmosphere and everyone is always very inviting
Awesome atmosphere, and awesome employees!
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NM 88220June 13, 2018
Having the opportunity to visit some of the National Parks was wonderful. The job was rewarding and the co-workers are very appreciative. Promotion opportunities are not as abundant as some other agencies.
Pros
Visiting some of the National Parks
Cons
Few promotion opportunities
okay
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJune 8, 2018
was an okay job but always felt intimidated by the supervisor and other employees. felt out of place and felt i did not have enough experience or knowledge for them.
review
Junior Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Boulder City, NVJune 8, 2018
show up to work - look at solarwinds to see if there are any new issues that may have happened overnight - continue with projects and troubleshooting existing issues that solarwinds reports on.
Fireline
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Vale, ORJune 7, 2018
Fires are a place where you test your mettle and learn what you can and can't handle. This is a dog eat dog world, in a dangerous and fast paced environment. Keep an eye out.
Amazing
Greeted tourists, lead Ranger Talks (Current Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJune 5, 2018
A typical day at work involved leading Jr. Ranger, giving Ranger talks, and office duties. This was a very rewarding opportunity surrounded by like-minded individuals.
Overall, I enjoy working at the Bureau of Land Management
LAND SURVEYOR (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 4, 2018
Having been born and raised in Southern Nevada, my reason for leaving is to relocate closer to family and friends. All things being equal, I have enjoyed my time with the Bureau.
Pros
Flexible schedule with working remotely
Cons
Inflexible rules
I loved my job, but not the manager
Interpretive National Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Stanton, NDJune 3, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed being an interpretive National Park Ranger. It was a rewarding job, only very poorly managed. Poor management is the only reason I left the job.
Pros
Get to work outside, good income
Cons
poor management, no benefits or advancement
Culture built on favoritism
Administration (Former Employee) –  National Park ServiceMay 31, 2018
The overall mission of the NPS is awesome and many locations are beautiful. But the working conditions are sometimes great, and often denigrating, depending on managers; there's a culture of pitting employees against each other for limited permanent full-time positions. Would suggest inquiring about particular parks and supervisors before accepting jobs and definitely get promises in writing.
Unorganized
Employee Labor relations representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 30, 2018
I was hired as a federal employee the staff has favoritism and this is employee labor relations personal business was spread across the office the manager their lied on my and fired me due to not knowing how to used a computer and I am an online student who is getting my PhD in business Management with the specialization in Human Resource....
Great
Utah. Student Employment-Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 29, 2018
Great fellowship program. Although I don't think its in existence anymore. This program accepted my application and provided me part time job throughout College. Great for students
Pros
Communication
Cons
Pleasure to work, hard to work your way up
Pathways Student, IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 21, 2018
With my time working in the Department of Interior over with the Bureau of Land Management I definitely learned a lot and it was a pleasure working with such a diverse group of individuals, however it was rather slow working there and climbing your way up the ladder into higher positions. Even though they gave me the opportunity to work with the separate groups there, I more or less found myself doing the things I usually did but with different bosses. So for the experience I appreciate them for giving me a job, but as a job to further your career and to present opportunities to rise up to better, more challenging positions, they still have a long way to go.