Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Fun and safe environment to work in
BIA Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Fort Washakie, WYJune 17, 2018
Working at the BIA is a very fun but challenging opportunity. They required us to be in tip top shape to be able to go out and fight wildfires. It’s also a incredibly fun atmosphere and everyone is always very inviting
Awesome atmosphere, and awesome employees!
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NM 88220June 13, 2018
Having the opportunity to visit some of the National Parks was wonderful. The job was rewarding and the co-workers are very appreciative. Promotion opportunities are not as abundant as some other agencies.
Pros
Visiting some of the National Parks
Cons
Few promotion opportunities
okay
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJune 8, 2018
was an okay job but always felt intimidated by the supervisor and other employees. felt out of place and felt i did not have enough experience or knowledge for them.
review
Junior Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Boulder City, NVJune 8, 2018
show up to work - look at solarwinds to see if there are any new issues that may have happened overnight - continue with projects and troubleshooting existing issues that solarwinds reports on.
Fireline
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Vale, ORJune 7, 2018
Fires are a place where you test your mettle and learn what you can and can't handle. This is a dog eat dog world, in a dangerous and fast paced environment. Keep an eye out.
Amazing
Greeted tourists, lead Ranger Talks (Current Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJune 5, 2018
A typical day at work involved leading Jr. Ranger, giving Ranger talks, and office duties. This was a very rewarding opportunity surrounded by like-minded individuals.
Overall, I enjoy working at the Bureau of Land Management
LAND SURVEYOR (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 4, 2018
Having been born and raised in Southern Nevada, my reason for leaving is to relocate closer to family and friends. All things being equal, I have enjoyed my time with the Bureau.
Pros
Flexible schedule with working remotely
Cons
Inflexible rules
I loved my job, but not the manager
Interpretive National Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Stanton, NDJune 3, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed being an interpretive National Park Ranger. It was a rewarding job, only very poorly managed. Poor management is the only reason I left the job.
Pros
Get to work outside, good income
Cons
poor management, no benefits or advancement
Culture built on favoritism
Administration (Former Employee) –  National Park ServiceMay 31, 2018
The overall mission of the NPS is awesome and many locations are beautiful. But the working conditions are sometimes great, and often denigrating, depending on managers; there's a culture of pitting employees against each other for limited permanent full-time positions. Would suggest inquiring about particular parks and supervisors before accepting jobs and definitely get promises in writing.
Unorganized
Employee Labor relations representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 30, 2018
I was hired as a federal employee the staff has favoritism and this is employee labor relations personal business was spread across the office the manager their lied on my and fired me due to not knowing how to used a computer and I am an online student who is getting my PhD in business Management with the specialization in Human Resource....
Great
Utah. Student Employment-Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 29, 2018
Great fellowship program. Although I don't think its in existence anymore. This program accepted my application and provided me part time job throughout College. Great for students
Pros
Communication
Cons
Pleasure to work, hard to work your way up
Pathways Student, IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 21, 2018
With my time working in the Department of Interior over with the Bureau of Land Management I definitely learned a lot and it was a pleasure working with such a diverse group of individuals, however it was rather slow working there and climbing your way up the ladder into higher positions. Even though they gave me the opportunity to work with the separate groups there, I more or less found myself doing the things I usually did but with different bosses. So for the experience I appreciate them for giving me a job, but as a job to further your career and to present opportunities to rise up to better, more challenging positions, they still have a long way to go.
Department of the Interior
Supervisory Accountant (Current Employee) –  Pawhuska, OKMay 18, 2018
Very good place to work. very good benefits and pay. salry could be higher for the positions though still good. not any bad expeirience for this place to work.
A good place to work
Supply Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NM 87305May 8, 2018
A typical work day, was traveling about 225 miles round trip to inventory a piece of equipment. The hardest part was the travel, you travel hald of the day to accomplish.
Wonderful Environment, poor overall management
Carpenter (WG-9) (Current Employee) –  Titusville, FLMay 4, 2018
Working for the National Park Service is nice, considering that most of the work is outdoors and around nature. Poor management and lack of accountability is a big issue. Instead of performance being a factor in advancement, it is all about sucking up (or bowing down) to management. Construction rules and building codes are often deviated from for no reason other than managerial preferences being put above those standards. As with many government agencies, efficiency and cost mitigation are basically non-existent, and huge financial mistakes are laughed off since it's government money. The environment is easy-going, and incompetence is tolerated (for better or worse).
Pros
Easy-going, Great outdoor working environment
Cons
Poor management, Limited advancement opportunity
Productive and Fun Workplace
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regional OfficeApril 30, 2018
Great place to work if you're in the right department with the right manager. I had both, although I knew some who weren't so fortunate. Still, the work is rewarding, the pay and benefits are good, and the job security is a huge bonus.
team work
MAINTENANCE HELPER/WORKER (Current Employee) –  Redding, CAApril 27, 2018
great crew relationships
amazing and beautiful scenery
great public relations
challenging
prideful
an amazing experience all around
left with very useful knowledge
wildland Firefighter
Wildland Firefighter Type (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 23, 2018
To anchor and flank a wildfire takes teamwork. As a hand crew member we worked with many agencies to get the job done. Our Crews task can change from day to day. The hardest part of this job was PT.
Pros
Help save Homes, busniess, people
Cons
seanonal job
Loved the work, did not get along with the supervisor
RESEARCH INTERN (Former Employee) –  Safford, AZApril 22, 2018
The field work I was doing was a once in a lifetime experience- especially for a freshman in college. I had some of the greatest times in my life working there and I learned some very valuable things. My boss, however, was not the easiest person to get along with and she treated me the most poorly out of all the interns.
Pros
Amazing field work
Cons
Poor management
Thoroughly enjoyed working here but needed higher pay
Biological Technician (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDApril 19, 2018
This job was a very enjoyable place to work for myself as my personal interests tied into this job. Left employment here because was offered a position to make a higher wage.
Pros
Laid back and great peers
Cons
Not necessarily a competitive wage.