Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

work place
Maintenance Worker Trails (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYOctober 18, 2018
There is something about working for the US government in which you will become fed up with insufficiency and lack of communication between all levels.
Poor Career Ladder
Property & Procurement Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 18, 2018
Generally promotion positions were pre-selected, favoritism was the word of the day; I found it to be race-based. To advance you would need to relocate at your expense. The work was not stressful; sometimes managers would go into panic mode to please upper management. Opportunities for "detail" work were fulfilling and interesting - allowed you to grow and "shine" but I found someone was pre-selected to fill the position after you cleaned it up.
Pros
Meaningful work when you could "own" it, farily good immediate manager support.
Cons
Pre-selection, politics within the organization
na
IT Specialist (Network) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 17, 2018
No overtime is allowed.

I have learned that management can lie to manipulate others.

Workplace culture is not the best I have seen.

The hardest part of the job is knowing who to trust.
Pros
medical benefits, job security
Cons
management can tend to lie
Okay place to work
Records Officer (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAOctober 17, 2018
I worked at the National Park Service from 2014 to 2015 in the Reston office. It was one of my favorite places to work in the sense that it's more laid back than other government agencies I've had experiences with. They are also very telework friendly, which helps with work-life balance. The only thing I didn't care for was that training is robust and you don't really have much of a learning curve on the job. If they improved their SOPs and training opportunities to be more intimate and/or detailed, it would get rid of a lot of the confusion behind the work.
Pros
Laid back, work-life balance, telework, flexible, friendly people
Cons
Lack of training and SOPs
Best job I ever had
Backcountry Laborer (Former Employee) –  Glacier National Park, MTOctober 11, 2018
This was an awesome job. I loved waking up every morning and heading out into the back country to work. The seasonality and pay were not great but the work itself and the people that work in GNP are awesome and laid back.
Pros
Views, lunches with views, paid to camp
Cons
inclement weather, pay, seasonal work
Good Place to Work
Legal Assistant/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 10, 2018
Salary is fair, benefits are excellent. Family friendly, flex-time, comp-time and training is offered to everyone. Employees are treated equally and annual bonuses and time-off awards are given annually to all employees.
Pros
Good Salary, Benefits
Employees provide diversity to the company
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 8, 2018
The workplace culture is what I really like about this job. The company provides training to keep employees engaged in their work. A typical day at work is ever changing. The most enjoyable part of the job is the team members I currently work with.
OK place if just out of college
Indian Child Welfare Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Portage, MNOctober 8, 2018
Tribal politics could be very cut throat. The work itself was slow and limited as I was based at a very small reservation with small population. I got to meet some of the elders and spent some time in their homes, I enjoyed that part of my job. I was technically an ICWA Worker, i.e. Indian Child Welfare Worker for the reservation.
Excellent place to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Grandview, WVOctober 7, 2018
As a seasonal worker for the park service. I received sick leave and annual leave. A place where you can work with great people. And veteran friendly.
Pros
Sick leave annual leave
Interesting Job
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Keystone, SDOctober 4, 2018
There is no typical day at work. Because of this it makes the day go fast. Don't be shocked by what the visitors have to say. I feel that I work with family.
Pros
uniform allowance
Cons
weather
I have enjoyed my 30 years of service, it has not always been perfect, but I have experienced a lot, traveled a lot and had many self assessment
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 4, 2018
I work for a very diverse agency, were there are endless opportunities for advancement and growth in field you choose. Awesome place to work, great..
beautiful place to work with friendly people
Timpanogos Cave National Monument (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTOctober 2, 2018
Working for NPS is a great experience, You work in a beautiful setting with friendly helpful staff that support each other. You get to meet people from all over the world that want to be there and share their adventure.
Pros
beautiful setting, outdoors, friendly people
Cons
hard physical work, hot weather
Very satisfying work.
Small Craft Operator (Current Employee) –  Vernal, UTOctober 2, 2018
I worked for the endangered fish recovery program on the Green and Colorado rivers. It was very satisfying and challenging outdoor work with great coworkers and supervisors
Pros
River trips, food, lodginf
Cons
Working in field and away from home
Good Connections
Laborer Student Trainee (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDSeptember 30, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of basic maintenance around the base, although, there was something new every day. I learned how to operate a commercial lawn mower and fix commercial sprinklers. The management was wonderful; they were stern when needed, but also created a humorous environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the lifelong friendship I formed with my coworker.
Always something new to see or learn.
Visitor Use Assistant - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Blue Ridge Parkway, NCSeptember 28, 2018
Working with the public is mostly a joy. Seeing new landscapes and learning about other cultures keeps my mind working. As long as my mind in functioning I will have a need to learn. Not enough hours in a day to see all that can be seen.
Pros
Meeting and greeting new people on a daily basis.
Cons
Not enough time to really get to know the people I greet.
fun work
laborer (Former Employee) –  West Glacier, MT 59936September 28, 2018
very good place to work i really enjoyed working for hte department of the intirior becaus i go to spend most of my time outside working in nature which is what i love.
Exciting
Wildland Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CASeptember 26, 2018
Responsibilities assigned to me included ensuring the safety of others; to quickly and efficiently suppress fire in briforests and vacant land. The ability to work broad 72-hour shifts, using complex equipment and maneuvers; while maintaining collaboration with fellow firefighters. Other duties involved equipment inspection and maintenance, and detailed station and engine cleaning. I excelled in gaining satisfaction in every aspect of my job.
US Fish and Wildlife Service was a great place to intern
Seasonal Intern (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 23, 2018
I had an amazing internship while I was at F&W Service. They allowed me to learn a great deal and contribute on some amazing projects. I would highly recommend this as a place to work.
room for growth in responsibility but big workload
PROJECT MANAGER (CONSULTING) (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 19, 2018
Lots of room to grow and take on additional responsibility. Heavy workload for those who are motivated. Some employees hard working and motivated and others less engaged.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLSeptember 19, 2018
It was an OK place to work with exceptional people working with me. The role I was in was one I shall never forget as well as my co-workers. I miss the job.
Pros
The Work
Cons
Temperary