DePaul University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
No career advancement
Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 13, 2018
Politics play a large part at this school. If you are willing to tow the money making line then you will do well here. However, if you have ethics and are committed to issues of social justice then this is not the place for you.
Great place to work with work-life balance.
Business Manager, School of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2018
I loved my job here, it "ticked all the boxes" for me: work-life balance, location, interesting work, interesting co-workers. A mission that they adhere to. It's great to work with students and other young people.
Pros
Great work-life balance.
Cons
Annual lay-offs has become the norm at DePaul.
Budget cuts have altered organizational structures and culture
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2018
Depaul is a mission driven higher education institution, however it is being crippled by severe annual budget cuts and the elimination of hundreds of staff positions. The mission is supposed to drive the culture and strategic operations, but the mission has taken a back seat to the financial/business focus since 2012. The management is not concerned with the limitations and overworked staff. Staff are being driven to seek opportunities elsewhere because the pay is low and they are given additional responsibilities with no pay increases. There are good benefits such as tuition reimbursement, SDA benefits, paternity/maternity leave, 403b employer match. The culture has shifted due to the budget cuts. Due to budget cuts it is limited opportunities for travel, professional development, work/life balance, flex scheduling. Depaul has seen major shifts in university leadership over the last seven years. The staff have been suffering several years of low morale. Due to budget cuts many of the long term and seasoned institutional leaders and staff have left or been laid off, leaving voids in the institution. Coupled by missteps and poor decision making occurring by many executives and administrative leaders.
Pros
Cons
Budget, Morale, Work/Life Balance, Management Training, Service Opportunities, Job Security, Lack of Advancement, Low Compensation, Poor leadership
Limited resources
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2018
Like most higher ed institutions, DePaul has not been immune to severe budget cuts, which directly impact staff positions. I was led to believe my position would turn into full-time, however increasing budget cuts has turned my current position into one with limited to no opportunity for growth or career advancement. Additionally, the limited resources only increased the need for me to do more work and take on more responsibilities even though my title or job duties "on record", have not been updated, and my salary does not match with what I currently do.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Staff resources, job advancement/career growth, management and leadership, communication, engagement
Really cool
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 15, 2018
Nice way to make money as a student, definitely something I would suggest to anyone who was interested in working while being a student at the Theatre School.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not many hours
Good Place to Work but Low Job Security
Admissions Processing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 15, 2018
It's a great place to work and there is good work-life balance, unfortunately there have been a number of layoffs recently and work morale is low as a result
Pros
collaborative, friendly
Cons
job security
OK' Good working place.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2018
OK. Good school. Good students. Good working place. I liked working for DePaul University.
I learned a lot in curriculum development, and class pedagogy.
Desk Job
University Information Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2018
The work is ideal for a student who has homework to get done during work hours. You're working with other student employees and telling people where the restroom is.
small but nice
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2018
DePaul is a small university, which upholds its reputation as an expanding urban learning environment. The campus is nice, especially the Lincoln Campus.
Fun experience
Telefund Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2018
Good for student job. The boss is friendly and wants you to succeed. Friendly coworkers, easy money, and good way to learn how to handle accounts and manage clients and alumni.
Pros
Free work experience that prepares for account executive roles
Cons
Buy your own lunch
Higher education is the way to go!
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2018
People stay with DePaul for as long as they do because it has the best benefits. Salary or hourly workers are compensated well for time lost due to illness, health benefits, and vacation hours. There's easy access for commuters since it's right in the heart of Chicago. You can go back to school for practically free, you're surrounded with a group of friendly coworkers, and you have solid job security.
Pros
Vacation, Health Care, Continuing Education Opportunities
Cons
Older buildings, lack of progress with new procedures
Clickish Environment
Systems Integration Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2018
You may want to advance at DePaul and work hard to do it. However, if you are not one of their picks you will stay stuck in the same position.
I feel they do not value their employees unless you are an VP.
Pros
Christmas break
Cons
Lack of advancement.
Productive work place
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2018
Depaul has been a great place to work. I have learned to develop a rapport with my students it is always helpful. There is always a collaborative effort.
Decent job
Student Circulation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 15, 2018
It was a good college job. Hours were flexible. Supervisors were nice. It was a lot of work at the beginning, but the more you worked there the easier it got.
productive and engaging
Content Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2018
generally a great place to work, especially in regards to
the individuals involved
compensation may be a hassle to work with sometimes
but the benefits are great
Great for student employment
Mathematics Tutor and Grader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2018
Working as a tutor is very beneficial. I am available my entire shift for any students to ask questions. The management is great in my department. The hardest part is trying to get through to some students.
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2018
This is a top tier private secondary degree univerwity, located in downtown Chicago. Outstanding quality of education, facility, and unique international culture.
Relaxed Environment
Programmer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2018
Relaxed, slow paced would work with person who are looking for stable environment. Free tuition for very good course.
Good company overall. Friendly environment work place.
What I Learned
Student (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2018
As an undergraduate student pursuing a major in Computer Science at DePaul University, I have learned a lot about the field and how it operates. From learning about the big picture to hands-on work on several projects in class.
Research Assistantship
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2018
I love my job at DePaul. As a funded graduate assistant, I work in multiple labs and assist a professor with teaching duties. I'm learning a lot about data analysis, research logistics, team coordination, and student management.