Deseret Industries Employee Reviews

Its okay I guess
Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar City, UTNovember 1, 2018
They do encourage you to get another job but until then you are stuck with minimum wage and part time hours. Management is decent and they do strive to take care of any problems but the other associates I've experienced tend to have very bad people skills and look for every little thing that could be considered racey (I explained to another associate what a felony is). You have no benefits and barely anything to pay bills, I would not recommend this to a person who has a family and obligations to fulfill but its a decent first job for a teenager who needs experience. Overall, not really impressed but its a job, so I guess it has that going for it.
Pros
Its an easy job to get
Cons
No benefits, low pay, low hours
Goodish
Sales Associate - Retail (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 5, 2018
I loved getting to work there for the benefits that they offered, but the people that I worked with and the management was a little sub-par. There are a lot of good people who work there but there is a lot of people who act like they are in high school still. While I was working there two employees were particularly bad one punched another employee and wasn't fired or reprimanded and the other was constantly stalking the girls there and stealing their items. What he was doing was known to management and they didn't do anything about it. Overal good for getting ready for future employment but not good working environment.
Cons
Bad management.
Great Temporary Job/Training Facility
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 2, 2018
The whole point of Deseret Industries is to help you acquire skills in order for you to move on to a more permanent job elsewhere. They are very good at training employees, you have plenty of opportunity for advancement and raises, and if you make a mistake, they will explain what you did wrong, and how to change it. They are awesome. Every employee works 4 days a week, with each shift being 7 hours long (plus a 30 minute lunch break).
Pros
Closed Sundays
Productive and fun environment to work and interact with different people.
Cashier and floor associate (Current Employee) –  Cedar City, UTJuly 29, 2018
It is a great job to give you new opportunities to grow and interact with different ages, personalities, and genders. It is a friendly environment and the management is always there to help and answer questions when needed. It is highly recommended by me, especially for a first job or just getting into the workforce.
Pros
Discount on products there. Management brings in snacks, pizza or sandwiches unexpectedly, when your team has done exceptionally well.
Cons
Only half hour lunch break and no benefits.
It was a good place to work.
Sales floor associate, Pricer and Sorter (Former Employee) –  Brigham City, UTJuly 19, 2018
The management was awesome they took care of you. When you were sick they understood.If something important came up they would let you switch shifts. They were always positive and uplifting. If something was going on you could talk to them and they would help you. They always made sure you had a smile on your face.
Pros
Positive atmosphere.
Cons
No benefits.
Excellent Attitude, Poor Pay
cashier (Former Employee) –  Bountiful, UTAugust 20, 2018
This is a temporary job. It has poor pay but is very easy to apply for if you're in dire straits. You need a bishop recommendation for employment. Everyone is generally nice and relaxed there. Benefits aren't good but if something happens like sickness or injury you can take off days with ease.
Pros
flexible work environment, easy to get a job, job services and training
Cons
almost no benefits and bad pay
Fun. a great starting place. excellent for growth.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 31, 2018
Had a blast being a part of a real team. Kind people. easy but interesting work. the chance to help others. and most importantly a place to better yourself as an individual.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
pay ins't great and no benefits
fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mesa AZJune 27, 2018
easy going and not to strict, but expect you to do your job. Many different areas that one can work, even out side if one would like. There are several departments to work at, as cashier, they expect you to tidy and stock clothing and shoes and will send you to other departments to help when slow.
Pros
can take time off
Cons
not many raises
It was ok
Job Coach Trainer (Former Employee) –  Centerville, UTJuly 5, 2018
My work at Deseret Industries as a Job Coach Trainer was ok. This job is heavily effected by management and corporate decisions (or the lack thereof).
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Don't work for them if you don't have to.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTOctober 12, 2018
Granted, Deseret Industries gave me a job to do. But they pigeon-hole their employees into working in retail. That's all they train for. Add to this the fact that their management is weak, and they (the managers, not the company) go back on their word fairly regularly, it isn't a very positive working environment. Yes, I worked a fair amount of hours, and yes, I was paid fairly. But that's all that happened. They claimed to offer me productive jobs and then gave excuses as to why I wasn't qualified when I asked them about working there. I suppose I should give management some leeway, considering there are six of them and they all make decisions together as a council, so not everyone obviously has the same mind, and they have to make adjustments. But if you want to productive job with a high ceiling for advancement, don't work here at all if you don't have to.
Pros
Good coworkers, some of the best people I've met in my life. Fair pay, good hours.
Cons
Management goes back on their word, you can only work part-time, they're not that flexible with a school schedule.
A very good place to work temporarily and very acommadating
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 20, 2018
A pleasant work environment that goes above and beyond everything to help you get to that next job to get better payed. They train you, certify you, and pay you all at the same time. The job is only temporary and you will have to leave with no opportunities to get any advancements. The management is friendly, you get discounts and whatever you buy from their store (which is almost anything) and they are very forgiving. They do have a limit though, so don't push them too much.
Pros
Help you earn a new job, good place to learn new skills
Cons
temporary position, no advancements
Productive and Fun
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDMarch 20, 2018
A place where you can learn how to be a better employee and someone that people want to hire later down the road. You get to learn helpful skills to assist you in finding even better jobs that you may not have realized that you had the potential to do. The employees are friendly and helpful. They are always smiling and ready to answer any questions that customers may have.
Pros
Learning, Friendly environment
Cons
No benefits
It was ok, but didn't listen to my needs
processor (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTApril 13, 2018
They didn't listen to my needs as far as puttying me into a position I was capable of doing physically. I was put into a position that was physically incapable, and when I told them and requested a transfer I was ignored
Pros
Offer job training, offer classes to get certified in certain areas.
Cons
Not enough hours, minimum wage, no benefits
meh
Cashier Associate (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 6, 2018
it was ok mostly just a temporary job. they has ok hours. no benefits which is stupid not enough pay to live in Utah but they do have nice program that pay you to look for a job
It is a voc rehab training program that does its job
Associate (Former Employee) –  salt lake cityMarch 12, 2018
this is a voc rehab training position that i used to work my way back into the workforce after a lifetime of disability destroyed my work record and hence my employability. I would recommend this to anyone with a disability who wants to go back to work. With their help i got my life back
Pros
Supportive atmosphere and training provided
Cons
temp position with no benefits
A good start for anyone
Small As-Is Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 23, 2018
The salary isn't longtime centric, but only because their goal is to help you get a better job elsewhere. They're very understanding about personal issues, and will do anything reasonable to help out. You have to work pretty hard in a day, and the pace, especially in the back area, is really fast, but it's fair. It's a good place to start your career, or get money you need.
Pros
Very helpful and understanding management
Cons
Minimum wage
An excelent pre-job job to get you ready for the real world.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTOctober 18, 2018
Working at Deseret Industries has been a wonderful opportunity to learn and grow and prepare me for what's out there. Many different training opportunities are available for many different types of jobs, from nursing to welding, most of them free of charge! All of the job coaches(bosses) are so friendly and helpful. There are counselors available if you need help. I would definitely recommend this as a place to start off on your career.
Pros
flexible hours, on the job training, understanding supervisors
Cons
30 minute lunch
Can be pretty great, but understand that it's temporary
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar City, UTSeptember 12, 2018
There is a high degree of variance in the work environment, since associates start and end their time working there on a regular basis. Sometimes you'll get a great group that's really fun to work with and sometimes you'll get a group that does nothing but complain and gossip. You'll get good training, but it is not intended to be a long term thing. Overall, very useful as a starting point for a career if you're having trouble getting into the field you want or just need something to help you get back on your feet.
fast-paced, detail oriented environment, ability to get along with and problem-solve alongside co-workers
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTFebruary 21, 2018
I learned to manage my time better. I was given a chance that wasn't given to a lot of people. I was grateful to be there. The hardest part of the job is throwing away things that could be useful to others (i.e. pens and paper that a school could have used for their in-need students).
Pros
A paying job
Cons
No benefits
Fun people to work with
Associate (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTFebruary 27, 2018
Very poor management. No benefits (supe.visors had all benefits).
Good place to learn a new skill or degree. Not great at placing people in jobs. Hard work (labor)
Pros
Cons
no benefits, poor management. No job advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Deseret Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3