Desert Financial Credit Union Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
loved it
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 26, 2018
Desert Financial is a great place especially if you have no prior banking experience, they will work with you.

training lasts about 2 weeks and is finished by a test to prove you understand how to do the job functions.

plenty of room for growth and caring management.
Pros
decent pay, great company, benefits, room for growth.
Cons
once they are fully staffed you lose over time allowance.
Desert Schools FCU
PERSONAL BANKER/ LOAN OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 24, 2018
Leadership at my branch was very poor. People in charge drove sales goals hard and had their way of how to achieve them, not open to new ideas. The overall culture was poor
Member Advocate (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 21, 2018
good work environment, quiet, boring, they at least let you sit, some people can be on their phones then some get yelled at for it..very team-oriented....
Pros
teller
Cons
teller
credit union
Teller/Member Solutions Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 21, 2018
The location I worked at was too far of a commute and even though it was a credit union and cared for their member they were very Bank oriented with sales and daily numbers.
CEO changed as did Culture
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 17, 2018
The new CEO has changed the culture of the Credit Union which is no longer supportive to employees, tenure or the Credit Union Movement. Now environment is toxic with people afraid of losing jobs and not having a job.
Pros
People
Cons
New environment and no trust
It was a great stepping stone
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 12, 2018
This company had a friendly atmosphere. I liked the structure of management. Its was fair and strong. They have alot of Integrity. The hardest part of the job was the aged system, technology was being updated as I was leaving. The people ,friends and even management were my favorite.
Pros
The Benefits were very competitive with other companys people were solid
Cons
The technology was somewhat aged didnt feel like training for other jobs were readily available.
It’s all about politics
Assistant Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 6, 2018
In order to advance you literally have to know someone higher up, all the managers I’ve worked with we’re great until the one I work with now. She’s terrible and extremely selfish, honestly if you were to work at one of the branches just don’t expect to ever see your branch manager and expect the assistant service manager to do everything. Falsifying timecards is a known issue with the branch managers and service managers, but upper management turns the other way. They’re just concerned with sales, and as long as they are good they don’t care.
No chance for raises. Awful work environment.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 27, 2018
The behavior from the management and higher up was very petty and unprofessional. They underpay their employees and give no opportunity for raises. The turnover rate is very high because of the very unprofessional atmosphere.
Pros
Very flexible with schedules
Cons
Underpaid positions. No opportunity for raises. Immature management.
Upbeat and challenging
Assistant Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Ahwatukee, AZApril 16, 2018
I enjoyed my time with this company, some of the management is less that easy to deal with but you learn a lot and deal with a lot of different people and new experiences each day.
Poor Management and Out of Touch
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 13, 2018
Desert Financial is an amazing place if your entire career begins and ends there. There is no career advancement, no middle managers, and directors are expected to be 'working managers' which often leaves them unavailable and out of touch from the employees they manage.

But, the salary and benefits are amazing. So, if you're not worried about the integrity of your work and you just want to collect a paycheck, you'd be in the right place here.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Good Entry Level Position
BANK TELLER (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 10, 2018
As a teller, this company is great for entry level positions. From the day I started up until about a year in, the company was amazing! I loved the culture, and what the company stood for. After the CEO changed, it started to go a little down hill. The work became more of a competition than it did an enjoyable place to work, and a place to serve customers. We were expected to focus more on making the company and our managers money, rather than ensuring the customers were satisfied with the service they were receiving.

I would still recommend the company to anyone, because it really is a great learning experience, especially if you love the financial world and customer service. It comes with great benefits if you take advantage of them. Great for college kids because they do offer tuition reimbursement, and are usually pretty flexible with school schedules.
Pros
Paid time off, benefits, sick time, bonuses
Cons
Too competitive, focuses more on management success rather than success for the company as a whole
Great Place to make a career
Banker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 26, 2018
Desert Financial gives all the tools and opportunities to their employees. if you work hard you are rewarded constantly and the management teams are always looking to help improve your work-ethic to prepare you for advancements.
Desert Financial overall was a great place to work.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 25, 2018
Very fast paced; learned new things daily; my management had a lot of double-standers; tidy environment; hardest/enjoyable part about job was members.
Pros
I now have a better understanding of the financial world.
Cons
I did not like to cross sell when having to process a transaction with every member.
would be better
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 4, 2018
doesnt treat the tellers right, like their roles dont matter. management was poor and viewed you a replaceable. the lunches were rushed and not a full hour for the 10 hours worked. didnt have time to take a break and it was frowned upon.
Cons
short lunches, poor management, filled with drama
Summary of DSFCU
Teller (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 2, 2017
Desert Schools Federal Credit Union is a fast paced environment. Working for this company has helped me overcome fears of talking to my members about certain services we have. In the course that I have worked for this company, I have learned many things such as product knowledge, domestic and International wires. I’ve worked for Desert Schools for almost a year, and as I progressed throughout the months, my sells were frail, however as the months passed I learned how to overcome certain obstacles and replenish my sells. Desert Schools Federal Credit Union is a prominent company to work for, I would highly recommend Desert Schools to anyone.
Great local credit union
Member Solutions Representative 2 (Former Employee) –  Sun City, AZNovember 7, 2017
competitive pay. Great bonus opportunity. benefits were also competitive. did not have many promotion opportunity since this is a credit union. had to leave company to have more promotion opportunity
productive
Teller (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 6, 2017
I learned how to work in a professional atmosphere and how to keep up with goals. I also learned how to sell products and feel more comfortable speaking to people.
The most enjoyable part of the job
INTERNAL AUDITOR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 6, 2017
Our audit staff was very connected and worked well as a team. I share a good rapport with other department management and their staff. There were potlucks, meetings that provided achievement recognition. It was sad when we were outsource after the change of the CEO as well as other departments. Lots of changes.
Pros
offer benifits not great but they offer it, A good starting place for someone that is going thru school
Cons
Low pay for professional jobs, HR is useless in employee relations. never respond, you have to walk over there.
Great Company
Sr. Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 28, 2017
Excellent organization. Going through a lot of change as a result of new CEO but he is making the changes that are needed to move the organization forward.

Great benefits, great people and competitive products.
Pros
People, Leadership, Products, Brand
Cons
Limited advancement once you reach a certain level
it was okay
Teller (Former Employee) –  Sun City, AZSeptember 21, 2017
I liked coming to work just to see my clients and some of my coworkers but some of the management had a way of making a person feel beneath them, and it was hard trying to give a position your all.