Desert Financial Credit Union Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Poor Management and Out of Touch
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 13, 2018
Desert Financial is an amazing place if your entire career begins and ends there. There is no career advancement, no middle managers, and directors are expected to be 'working managers' which often leaves them unavailable and out of touch from the employees they manage.

But, the salary and benefits are amazing. So, if you're not worried about the integrity of your work and you just want to collect a paycheck, you'd be in the right place here.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Good Entry Level Position
BANK TELLER (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 10, 2018
As a teller, this company is great for entry level positions. From the day I started up until about a year in, the company was amazing! I loved the culture, and what the company stood for. After the CEO changed, it started to go a little down hill. The work became more of a competition than it did an enjoyable place to work, and a place to serve customers. We were expected to focus more on making the company and our managers money, rather than ensuring the customers were satisfied with the service they were receiving.

I would still recommend the company to anyone, because it really is a great learning experience, especially if you love the financial world and customer service. It comes with great benefits if you take advantage of them. Great for college kids because they do offer tuition reimbursement, and are usually pretty flexible with school schedules.
Pros
Paid time off, benefits, sick time, bonuses
Cons
Too competitive, focuses more on management success rather than success for the company as a whole
Great Place to make a career
Banker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 26, 2018
Desert Financial gives all the tools and opportunities to their employees. if you work hard you are rewarded constantly and the management teams are always looking to help improve your work-ethic to prepare you for advancements.
Desert Financial overall was a great place to work.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 25, 2018
Very fast paced; learned new things daily; my management had a lot of double-standers; tidy environment; hardest/enjoyable part about job was members.
Pros
I now have a better understanding of the financial world.
Cons
I did not like to cross sell when having to process a transaction with every member.
would be better
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 4, 2018
doesnt treat the tellers right, like their roles dont matter. management was poor and viewed you a replaceable. the lunches were rushed and not a full hour for the 10 hours worked. didnt have time to take a break and it was frowned upon.
Cons
short lunches, poor management, filled with drama
Summary of DSFCU
Teller (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 2, 2017
Desert Schools Federal Credit Union is a fast paced environment. Working for this company has helped me overcome fears of talking to my members about certain services we have. In the course that I have worked for this company, I have learned many things such as product knowledge, domestic and International wires. I’ve worked for Desert Schools for almost a year, and as I progressed throughout the months, my sells were frail, however as the months passed I learned how to overcome certain obstacles and replenish my sells. Desert Schools Federal Credit Union is a prominent company to work for, I would highly recommend Desert Schools to anyone.
Great local credit union
Member Solutions Representative 2 (Former Employee) –  Sun City, AZNovember 7, 2017
competitive pay. Great bonus opportunity. benefits were also competitive. did not have many promotion opportunity since this is a credit union. had to leave company to have more promotion opportunity
productive
Teller (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 6, 2017
I learned how to work in a professional atmosphere and how to keep up with goals. I also learned how to sell products and feel more comfortable speaking to people.
The most enjoyable part of the job
INTERNAL AUDITOR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 6, 2017
Our audit staff was very connected and worked well as a team. I share a good rapport with other department management and their staff. There were potlucks, meetings that provided achievement recognition. It was sad when we were outsource after the change of the CEO as well as other departments. Lots of changes.
Pros
offer benifits not great but they offer it, A good starting place for someone that is going thru school
Cons
Low pay for professional jobs, HR is useless in employee relations. never respond, you have to walk over there.
Great Company
Sr. Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 28, 2017
Excellent organization. Going through a lot of change as a result of new CEO but he is making the changes that are needed to move the organization forward.

Great benefits, great people and competitive products.
Pros
People, Leadership, Products, Brand
Cons
Limited advancement once you reach a certain level
it was okay
Teller (Former Employee) –  Sun City, AZSeptember 21, 2017
I liked coming to work just to see my clients and some of my coworkers but some of the management had a way of making a person feel beneath them, and it was hard trying to give a position your all.
Potential Growth
Teller (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 12, 2017
Great place to work at good work life balance. Very supportive of ones passions and family oriented. DS is located all around AZ so relocating seems fairly easy
I loved working here
MSR. / Loan Officer/ Teller (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85034September 12, 2017
Great people to work with. Friendly. Fast paced. I received monthly bonuses. I got numerous raises due to my performance at work. I absolutely loved my job! NO complaints whatsoever about Desert Schools.
Pros
Friendly, constant raises
Cons
Good
Facilities Director (Former Employee) –  Phonenix AZAugust 29, 2017
Enjoyable place to work, and also challenging; one of the greatest aspects of the job were the people I worked with. The job gave me an opportunity to expand my knowledge and abilities.
Pros
Great work inviroment
Cons
Lines of business being outsourced
Micromanaging company
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 2, 2017
With this company, expect to be micromanaged and never promoted. Its unfortunate that most of the people that are in the managing roles at this company SHOULDN'T be!
Good company, but.....
Assistant Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 30, 2017
Desert Schools is a good company to work and they really do value their members and community. As an employee though, it seems that some managers at certain branches only care for their bonus checks and not their own employees. This branch manager is way too focused on sales versus what really is important is member service.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
sale oriented
Teller (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 27, 2017
DSFCU is a sale oriented company, the other helpful skills you posses do little for advancement if sale numbers don't show. The members and my fellow tellers made it a positive workplace.
Sales, Sales, Sales
Teller (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJuly 24, 2017
The management team is great. I loved working with them. They were encouraging and supportive and went out of their way to help the team succeed. The downside to the job is the sales aspect or "solutions" as they are referred to by the company. If you're built for sales, GREAT! This job is for you! If not, don't expect a simple, cushy teller position. Helping members with their transactions isn't hard; in fact the system is quite easy to learn. But the constant pressure to hit a "solutions" goal every month was not something I enjoyed. Other than that, you couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with.
Pros
Bonuses, incentives
Cons
sales focused
Desert Schools FCU
Operations Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 23, 2017
This is a nice place to work for, the people are warm and friendly. They are willing to help you succeed. The wage is a little low but that makes up for the experience that you can receive. Some positions are very high paced like Member assistant center where they taking care of about 80 members per day.
Really get to help people
Teller (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZJune 17, 2017
I was able to learn a lot about how the financial world works and how to try to help people the best that I could so that they would be happy and they would be able to save money
Pros
Meet a lot of people
Cons
Management was not easy to work with or respectful