Design Communications LTD Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Stressful and sexist environment
Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 21, 2018
Every employee at this company is overworked and underpaid. If you are a woman working as a fabricator you will be belittled and ridiculed. The rampant sexism was never addressed and shoved under the rug if anyone dared speak of it. The other main issue, health and safety, was rarely addressed and most new employees were left to simply figure things out. I don't know a single employee who didn't average 50 hours a week. Valuable and knowledgeable employees were contantly underappreciated and underpaid making the staff a revolving door of employees.
some good experience to gain
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Avon, MAJanuary 28, 2018
The people that work there are fantastic but the work environment is un-oranized and stressful; without needing to be. a typical day at work would be a learning experience but that no one would really be willing to teach you because they don't really train you; you have to learn on your own. which can be good and bad because everyone expects everyone to know what they are talking about. Its a challenging job in that there is no structure to follow but it lets you create your own way of doing things which will sometimes work for others; but most of the time doesn't. Amazing people work here but management is not so great.
Pros
employees
Cons
low pay and no advancement in sight
Borderline Sweatshop
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 30, 2017
Long hours working on projects for high-end firm. The project managers were disorganized and took their anger out on the people trying to do their job. Overtime was expected, especially on weekends, and if you did not agree, you were met with threats to deny vacation time.
Pros
Projects varied and were interesting.
Cons
Long hours, hostile work environment
wrong perople running most departments
Painter (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 17, 2017
dcl is a ok place to work at , most of the people our friendly and down to earth .laid back ,but there's is heads where the end position should be. meaning wrong people running wrong departments .
A great place to work.
Fabricator and Installer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 12, 2017
DCL has a culture of quality, competence, and customer satisfaction. They are the very best of American ingenuity, problem-solving and custom fabrication. The entire team works to produce amazing results for their clients.
cool company
Project development/project management (Former Employee) –  BostonFebruary 4, 2014
nice people, cool projects, convenient T stop, huge shop, very organized
Pros
fun employee events
Cons
very little parking
Great place to work and awesome shop!
Fabricator (Former Employee) –  BostonFebruary 3, 2014
I worked for Design Communications for a little over a year and learned so much. They have an incredibly impressive workshop with extremely talented and experienced fabricators. I looked forward to coming to work every day because my coworkers were so nice and willing to accept newcomers. I was constantly being challenged and taught new things and it was always exciting to come to work every day. The day flies by when you are having fun!
Friendly and fun employees, great atmosphere
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  BostonFebruary 3, 2014
I loved working at DCL and if I hadn't moved I would definitely still be working there. Great employees who are all very friendly, passionate, creative, and professional, and that made it very easy to fit in right away. Management is very approachable and constantly giving positive feedback. I had so much fun working here.. bottom line Design Communications gets an A+!
Seriously fun job
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 19, 2013
I can't describe a lot of my jobs as 'fun' but this one I can. The people are so cool and friendly and days actually fly by!
Fantastic Work Environment
HR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 3, 2013
Working at DCL is a truly unique experience; being among so many incredibly smart and talented people taking their work seriously and having fun at the same time. People are hired based not only on their skills but also on their ability to fit in, which is how we have maintained a positive, energetic work environment for many years. Our product is amazing and everyone gets involved from a different angle in producing specialty elements that are regarded as the best in the industry. I have worked at a number of different places, but I've never been anywhere else that didn't have a single negative or unpleasant person. DCL is that place; we are all lucky to be here!
Pros
cooking contests, cameraderie, holiday video, collaborative team work
Cons
none; maybe long commute, but worth it!
Actually Enjoy Coming To Work
Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 3, 2013
DCL is a pretty good place to be. Ppl like being here and don't scream at you like other shops and the upper ppl actually listen to ur ideas.
Pros
insurance and nice coworkers
Cons
No flexible spending account, not much food options in the area
Good Company
Graphics Lead (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 28, 2013
fair pay, great benefits, professional demeanor with clients and colleagues, no complaints
An Employer to Call Home
Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 28, 2013
DCL is the best company I have ever worked for, hands down. I always feel part of the team working toward common goals. The products that we create are of the highest quality and we all take pride in what we do. There are always clear guidelines on how to proceed, the company culture is one of valuing its employees and I've just never seen so many smiling faces throughout the course of the workday. I can't ever see myself leaving.
Pros
Attentive management, friendly colleagues, great health insurance
unprofessional management
Project Development (Former Employee) –  Boston, MaAugust 19, 2013
management objectives are not followed through and open criticism and bad mouthing by upper and middle management. Unorganized, outdated software, Toxic plant fumes throughout offices.
Pros
high profile clients and projects
Cons
management accountability
Unproductive
On call (Former Employee) –  Boston, MaAugust 15, 2013
Management perform unprofessional values and *lacks skills in training*. When I worked here I was never told my title, even after asking for clarification, and was let go the day I received health insurance without a two weeks notice.
Pros
Harbor View
Cons
training, Hr, Management, hipsters, strippers