Design Within Reach

Design Within Reach Employee Reviews

United States33 reviews
Not the best company to work for
Management was out for themselves. No development to speak of. Was made to feel as though I was in a dead end job with no prospects for growth. Very poor support.
Umm
Hmm management needs work, lots of work. They work you to death screw you over every chance they get, they only worried bout theirself.
Coworkers are great i love the friendships but the ount of work for the little pay almost makes people hate it
Not recommended at all
If you want to be micromanaged, and have no work-life balance, this is the place for you! Bad management, unclear expectations, and goals that can't be reached.
Making People Happy
There was nothing I enjoyed more than helping clients find what they needed and am grateful for the opportunity to do at DWR. I learned so much working there - mixing both my passions and career goals together in one place.
Growing Pains
Overall, I enjoy my job at DWR. They sell a great product and you get to work with some great folks who are knowledgable about design. However, it's undergone a lot of changes since the CEO, John Edelman, stepped away. Many of the changes made are due to restructuring the business, a necessity. These changes have led to growing pains, and few have proven successful, while many have led to serious missteps, low morale and many employees leaving.

Advice to leadership. Address the biggest challenges in the company. Operational support and communication is lacking and customer service is suffering. This impacts sales negatively.

The other thing that DWR needs to do is create opportunities for their employees. Recognize success and provide advancement opportunities. Many excellent employees who have dedicated their careers to DWR, have left recently, along with their knowledge of the business. Unfortunately, the gap is felt and there is no end in sight to the mass exodus. Employees take on extra work without any change in compensation, with the hope that they might advance. Advancement or raises are scarce to none, and employees quickly become burnt out and many fear that they might lose their jobs because they are unable to keep up with the workload.

With the departure of John Edelman, DWR lost its voice, as well as its heart. DWR, please right the ship. Your employees need you.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Must be Able to Sell and Problem Solve
Working for DWR is great, the benefits are excellent and the pay can be really good. You have to come to work every day prepared to work... if you have downtime train yourself on the furniture and learn about the industry. Those who sit and complain are not capable of really figuring out hoe to work in the best possible way. DWR is commission sale and the goals are high, but so are the rewards - between 4 and 6% commission, bonuses and higher payouts when you hit big sales goals. The clients are more sophisticated than most furniture stores, it's harder to sell expensive, original, specialized modern furniture, more so than RH or West Elm made in China copycat what everyone in the neighborhood has. 50% of you time is selling, 20% of your time is problem solving, 30% getting out to meet clients, interior designers or architects. The people who can't make it are the ones who spend time between clients scrolling Instagram, complaining or shopping on line. It's a choice, you have to make the decision to work and the money can be made.
The place is booming
Good company going thru growth spurts. Get in bring your skills or come in blind and learn, there's room for all. High end furniture distribution center catering to very wealthy people.
Hard work pays off
it's all about knowing the product and using that to sell to customers. the more people you work with, the higher the returns. takes about 3 months to feel totally comfortable in the roll
Great job
DWR Outlet was a fun to work for under the previous management team. Everyone was straight forward and lead you in the right direction. New management is creating issues between the team, are only focus in sales, versus what needs to actually drive the business. Does not listen to feedback.
Overall a great company to work for upper management are great to work for. Middle management is the issue.
Your colleagues are your best chance of success
Making the effort to get along with the staff can make or break the experience in this company. A fun working environment for a design assistant, I would not say diversity is accurately addressed.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Design Within Reach?
Fun and Relax work place
Work was very easy to comprehend and good hours. There was some overtime but that depended on how busy we were but rarely was there past 5pm. All and all nice place to work.
Great products, poor payment structure
Leads are based on working Saturdays and Sundays so life work balance is tuff.

Sales shark environment is tuff. Would be better if everyones sales were pooled so employees worked together more then against each other.

Company has delivery issues. This effects your pay and makes your look bad to the client and you have no control over it. A client can cancel a sale because the company is failing to deliver and you loose that sale after you did all the work you were suppose to do
Pros
training programs on products when your new
Cons
short lunch break, poor work life balance
You're always just another number in another corporate company.
Overall, I had a successful career in my four years at DWR. But at the end of the day (or the end of your tenure,) it doesn't matter how well you do or how good of an employee you are... because this is just another corporate company who treats you like a number. Not a person.
Pros
The commission is 6% once your hit your draw.
Cons
The commission structure is on a very antiquated draw system.
Great team, stressful job
I work in the Virtual Studio (call center) as a customer service rep. The team is awesome and super friendly. A typical day includes answering phone calls, email and live chats from customers. A lot of the stress comes with the territory of customer service (yelling customers looking for discounts), and is to be expected.

Unfortunately, the company is only concerned with pushing sales. The sales team and the service team share a workspace, yet the sales team is often rewarded with lunches, and happy hours, which the service team is not included. The service team also has expended the role constantly (3 times since I have been here) and yet have not increased pay. Again, the call volume, email volume and work load is growing, and the pay is not reflecting these changes. The best a customer service rep will get is a $10 gift card, while the sales rep gets commission.

There is no room for growth, and there are no raises. You get 5 sick days, 5 vacation days and you have to work holidays. Every holiday. There are positives to the job, just not nearly enough.
Pros
Bagel Fridays, friendly staff
Cons
No growth, no pay raise, only care about sales
great place to work
Training for this job is tough, there are so many programs and different ways to operate it can be overwhelming. Once learned however it gets easier with experience, the more you do the easier it gets. One the other hand things are always progressing and improving so new ways of doing things occur. Being able to adapt is crucial. Enjoyable place to work, good people and supportive management.
Pros
occasional free lunches
Cons
work load
Sometimes pretentious and aloof
It’s a strange environment with great products but a very wavering structure of which you have to just “get to know” as nothing is really the same for each person .
Management can be aloof . It’s defintwly changing and emphasis on classic pieces which used to be so high is lessening .

The environment can be relaxed at times too
Pros
Cool products, relaxed environment ( mostly), decent music
Cons
Aloof management, no pay raises, not a lot of growth
typical workplace
Sometimes long hours and weekends. It was a laid back place to work. It's a pretty decent place to work when you're trying to make ends meet. Decent pay at the time as well
Productive & fun workplace...everyone, in my department at least, gets along
I work in the Virtual Studio and I can tell you for the most part we run like a well oiled machine. Are there kinks to be worked out in terms of staffing, training, & management...yes! However, our managers listen to our concerns and are taking active steps to alleviate them. We all pitch in and help each other out when needed. There is no every man for himself here. We go out after work and genuinely enjoy each other's company.

A typical day as a Customer Service Representative in the Virtual Studio is very busy. We field calls, emails, and live chat from clients looking for assistance, usually trying to locate an order, schedule a delivery, make a payment, schedule repairs, issue returns, warranty, item lead time, and general product questions. There is truly always something to do. What is good is our new management team has given us an hour a day off the phones just to catch up on work. We also have an hour where we just answer live chat, while still being off the phones. This gives a lot of balance to the day!
Pros
Flexible scheduling, Free bagels every Friday, Free Coffee, Tea, & Hot Chocolate every day, fully stocked chef's kitchen, Free lunches during peak periods, great pay for what we do, teamwork oriented
Cons
Slow to make changes, but that is evolving
Over worked and under payed
The company could care less about their employees. Upper management did not like seeing individuals under them being more successful than they were. A typical day consisted of upper management calling numerous times for sales up dates, provided little to no help. Great product offering
Pros
non
Cons
too many to list
Best place to work and learn about Authentic designs pieces.
It's a great company to come and learn about great authentic modern design. It's really busy during sales, on your feet a lot. Could do with better management. The culture of the studio is very laid back. The hardest part of the job is making daily LY goal and getting customers in on a slow day.
Pros
People are fun to work with
Cons
doesn't pay enough
caustic work environment
studio proprietor ran the outlet like a sorority.
account executives were drinking on the job

appalling customer service!

no one at the outlet were brand ambassadors!
Pros
good discounts
Cons
pretty much everything!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Design Within Reach. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8
2.9
2.8
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight