Design Within Reach Employee Reviews

Don't Do It
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 22, 2018
DWR is not a good place to work for 100% commission. Salespeople have to compete with management for business, there is no credibility attached to salespeople and there is not enough walk-in traffic to make a decent income.
Business Model barely legal // no support for shipping or returns - wear 20 hats
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE - FLAGSHIP (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 16, 2017
Fake business, no inventory, back end does not talk to front end. Impossible expectations, no training, abuse of power and stealing of accounts because there is no accountability for human nature...without salary...employees are all looking for better positions.
fast pace chaos
wharehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Hebron, KYAugust 27, 2017
every one has a position to fill we pick product load trucks and receive it in. the problem is management system is broken at best the manager is stressful to deal with any attempt to discus issues has been met with sarcasm or petty remarks. my job has been threatened more times than I like to count simply for minor issues
Pros
plenty of hours to be had
Cons
poor management
Good corporate culture, excellent product to promote.
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2016
The corporation is well structured and one that offers easy assimilation to new hires. On the job training regarding products and practices is better than average, and management is supportive and inclusive. Systems recently changed/ upgraded to improve client experience in studio and delivery have proven challenging to the general climate of the workplace. I anticipate this evolutionary development challenge is temporary.
Pros
Inclusive, friendly culture.
Cons
No 401K match, very limited annual holiday calendar (4 days officially closed in 2016.)
Super Fun place to work
Photo Sample Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTNovember 12, 2015
The atmosphere was very relaxed and everyone was incredibly friendly. The CEO's didn't separate themselves and often bought us lunch. Driving the work trucks was always fun with the photostaff.
Pros
Free Lunch, Driving, Atmosphere, Coffee
Cons
Part time work
Great products and in depth design experience
Virtual Studio Proprietor (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTApril 30, 2015
It's a sales driven culture with lots of smart people who have in depth modern design knowledge. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the clients on picking out furniture and designing their living space.
Design Within Reach in the Middle Years
Proprietor (Former Employee) –  variousAugust 26, 2013
I still love Design Within Reach and truly enjoyed working with some of the most intelligent and hilarious co-workers I've ever had the pleasure of spending a day with. While I was there I saw the company grow from a small, to medium-sized business. Despite the challenging economic climate, we modeled ideal retail operations to invigorate growth and make DWR the largest retailer of classic modern design in America. Design Within Reach remains an icon for modern design education.
Friendly and supportive environment
Information Systems Intern (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMarch 17, 2013
It can be difficult for a computer science student to find an internship that offers them an opportunity to learn about an industry and develop their technical skills. My co-workers have made it their priority to ensure that the tasks they give me are both educational and meaningful. They have also been very flexible in providing me with tasks and projects that benefit both myself and the company. For example, since I have previous experience with SQL and databases, I have been given more business intelligence work such as creating crystal reports.
Sales driven company concerned only with the bottom dollar.
Inventory Control Specialist, Asst. Whs. Mgr. (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJDecember 27, 2012
I worked in the warehouse for one of this company's scratch & dent outlet stores. In my view our staff in the back was not treated with the basic professional courtesy and respect that anyone in a work environement deserves at times, from sales staff as well as, and especially mangement. Involvement from regional management was lacking to say the least, in store management was borderline incompentent and made inventory tracking as difficult as could be without reason. My recommendation is that unless you're passion in life is to sell sofas and credenzas to customers that have more money than they know what to do with, don't work here.
Pros
made some friends and gained experience.
Cons
everything else.