Detroit Diesel Culture reviews

Political and not a place for career advancement
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 3, 2018
Detroit Diesel used to be a fun place to work until the Daimler acquisition and the middle management was completely overhauled from Germany. Any motivated worker may have hard time working here for long run. Lack of recognition for work well performed and lack of respect for engineers on the shop floor are few of the aspects that kills talented employees from staying at this company.
Lot of yes boss people get opportunity to advance especially in quality management.
This could be a career starting company but definitely not the company to improve yourself and improve your career.
Pros
Slow paced, good HR
Cons
Lack of recognition, career killer, middle management politics, favoritism showed to certain employees
Great place to work - fun planning their vehicle testing activities
Vehicle Test Planner (Experis) (Former Employee) –  Redford, MIMay 30, 2018
a great culture to work in. Learned a lot about diesel vehicles, powertrain components and engine building. How truck vehicles performed in certain terrain and environmental conditions.
Horrid place to work surprised the doors are still open
Assembly Worker (Current Employee) –  Tooele, UTJune 27, 2017
Spent over ten years at DDRW there is little to no room for advancement the management team is incompetent at best relay enjoyed the work but hated the politics the company runs on out dated equipment and technology and cant understand why they are failing
Pros
good vacation 4 weeks on day 1
Cons
poor management
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJune 3, 2017
A typical day at work was to be assigned a work station, assemble parts, lunch, clock out. I learned how to assemble boxes, car parts, speed efficiency and team effort. The work place culture was predictable but fun with co-workers. The hardest part of the job was enduring repetitious work and lifting heavy parts. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new knowledge and skill along with getting paid weekly. Co-workers were very helpful and comedic.
Flexible and Fun
TEAM LEAD (Current Employee) –  Tooele, UTApril 9, 2017
Awesome fulfilling work, extremely generous paid vacation, frequent interaction with management, and a healthy collaborative culture. It is frustrating to navigate the bureaucracy when needed, but that is to be expected with any large corporation.
Pros
4 weeks paid vacation
friendly environment
Line worker (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 31, 2016
Learn a lot of jobs and nothing is really hard at all. Management is alright, co-workers are friendly and helpful. Union and benefits are not the best.
Fun place to work!
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 28, 2016
Absolutely love the environment at Detroit Diesel! Everyone is like family. Its a fun and very productive place to work. The managers were extremely helpful and allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and try a lot of different functions across the department.
Fun work place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Tooele, UTJune 23, 2016
It was great I loved working there the mangers were great. The pay was great and I loved the people I work with. I learned how to clean the bathrooms and the offices.
great people and very flexible
MANUFACTURING WORKER (Former Employee) –  Tooele, UTApril 13, 2016
Detroit was great. The people were very nice and the work was a good amount. I learned a lot about engines and working to an exact amount every day. deadlines and production were a big part of the day.
Pros
great pay.
Close to home.
PM maintenanced/ assembly (Current Employee) –  Tooele, UTDecember 17, 2015
Ok place to work. production work. co workers are good it is a decent place to work. hardest part of the job was staying on pace to maintain production. most enjoyable part the bosses did not hover over you and bark orders. if you did your job you were left alone.
Pros
short comute
Cons
not a career or work environment i am seeking
Learned a lot in my time
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Redford, MIOctober 12, 2015
The best part about this job is by far the people who work there. I have met some of the most amazing people there. My co workers have been the best part of my time there. They have showed me alot about the company and what its like to work for Detroit. I enjoyed my time here. I cant wait to come back and see all the smiling faces again.
Tech
Core receiving tech (Former Employee) –  Tooele, UTJuly 6, 2015
I would put core where it belonged the hardest part of the job was working 60 hours a week. i learned diffrent things in the core receiving departmet.
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 6, 2015
Worked hard and learned a lot. Learned to run many machines and operate many hand tools. Management tried to work with everyone for the most part. Co-workers were great. Hardest part was trying to turn down overtime. Most enjoyable part was knowing that you built something that would last.
Pros
Everything was a pro
Cons
Still some sexism and cronyism
Manufacturing Facility with great potential
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 11, 2014
The working atmosphere is wonderful and the people are great!
Automotive company
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 5, 2014
Work on different jobs as required. Learned to work in different areas of the plant. Co-workers were good to work with. The hardest part of the job was being placed on a job when you have had no training. The most enjoyable part of the job was being ably to learn new things daily.
Pros
Working day shift
Cons
Being able to be bumped to another shift at any giving time
good place to work at.
Diesel Tech (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, OHJuly 21, 2013
there was overtime, how to run and use different equipment, my co-workers was fun and helpful.
Pros
enjoy working the overtime
Good place to be
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 2, 2013
Fun people, work i love to do, no problems with management, everyone is helpful
Pros
the pay
Cons
the hrs
Detroit Diesel
Asembly (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 1, 2012
I normally work the afternoon shift (3 p.m.-11 p.m.). I've been there for more than 6 years and I have learned so much. I learned how to work in a fast paced environment with other people. My co-workers are very nice and easy to get along with. The hardest part was to get used to the repetative movement and the long standing, but after a while, you get used to it. The most enjoyable part is working around different people and learning many new job assignments.