Detroit Public Works Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
I never worked at Detroit Public Works it was Detroit Public Schools
HEAD SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 28, 2018
Because I have never worked at this particular employer I can not rate the employer. Unfortunately, I had to post something or the system would not have allowed me to get this far in the process.

The employer was the Detroit Public Schools
Pros
excellent culture, room for advancement
Cons
did not get paid over the summer if 10 month employee
Dps
3rd Grade Instructor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 22, 2018
I enjoyed working for DPS. The students were like students at any other inner city school- and they were great to work with. The only reason I left was because of the low pay. If DPS continues to make the improvements they are making and are able to provide teachers with a fair wage for their experience I would happily return.
Pros
Students
Cons
Pay
Good
Trainable Aide (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 18, 2018
Working at Detroit Public Schools is a good job that you can move up in but it requires you to increase your education on a regular basis. To work with the children you must love your job because of some,of the difficult behaviors.
Pros
Seeing the student's advance
Cons
The many.behaviors of the student's.
Good Place to work
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 2, 2018
You have to really have patients while working with the children that attends Detroit Public School. The job is pretty good, no complaints. Overall a Good place to work.
Detroit Public School System
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 31, 2018
I believe teachers need to be paid as much money as the president. Teacher are working with the future presidents. The Detroit Public School system does poor job providing the teachers with supplies needed to help students. Therefore the money sometimes come out of the pockets of the underpaid teachers.
Detroit public works
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganMay 29, 2018
The job was fast paced and often stressful. Work was full time, Monday thru Friday. I was offered benefits, but overall pay was low for the job type and cost of living.
Pros
Set work week
Cons
low pay
Goood working environment.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48202May 27, 2018
Loved working at Detroit Public Schools until I ran into some self-centered and jeleous administrators. Some of thee people, who had some inner core colleagues vowed to make it unbearable to new comers.
Pros
Met some excellent colleagues.
Cons
Ugly and evil administrators.
Great place to gain experience
Site Coordinator Community in School (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 10, 2018
The job isn't easy especially with the work conditions over at Detroit Osborn High School. This was where I was placed. The neighborhood was in one of the toughest places on the eastside of Detroit. We had great leadership under principal Barclay, but at times it was a struggle getting kids to take advantage of the resources we provided. Overall, I enjoyed my experience I believe that its a great place to start for the beginning stage.
Pros
Free Lunch, ACT Prep, Extra Curriculum Activities etc.....
Cons
Environment, Neighborhood
Love help the children
Coordinator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 3, 2018
The company it self is a great place to learn and grow with.I enjoy my ten years with the detroit public school ..But the health plans was not good when I became ill..Overrall the school system is good.
Pros
Summer off
Cons
No health care plan for coordinators
Public School Secretary
Clerical Level III - Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 1, 2018
The Detroit Public Schools System continues to struggle in all areas with the children being the victims as the educational experience offered by the Detroit Public Schools is substandard along with issues of poor, deteriorating school buildings, lack of basic supplies and resources along with the continuing fight between the school board and state regarding control of the school system and the monies allotted to fund the schools and the educational quality of standards.
Pros
loved children, loved working with community
Cons
state takeover and management areas, deteriorating facilities and lack of supplies, resources and quality teaching of students.
Not a Good Job
Data Entry Clerk /Catering Assistant, Aramark Corp (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 24, 2018
This place was ran wrong and came with stress. I would not ever let anyone work here. People should avoid this place. There isn't any job advancements.
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 17, 2018
I have been employed with Detroit Public Schools for 12 years. I have started at the bottom and worked my way up to where I'm today. It is a nice environment to wok in.
Pros
working with students
Cons
healthcare
Excellent Place To Work
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 12, 2018
I wish The Detroit Board Of Education Was still in full throttle the way it use to be back before we were privatized. because from East To West Detroit Public Schools Were The Best. We Had Excellent Drivers, Bus Aids, Supervisors, And Overall A great Establishment. I would recommend anyone to work for Detroit Public Schools.
Pros
Loved It
Cons
Great People
productive
Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 27, 2018
this is a good place, good kids good coworkers. would highly recommend it to those interested in the teaching field. Plent of room for promotion and moving forward
Some were big-city rude, others cooperated quite well.
Survey Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 24, 2018
This was a temp job just for the survey. I worked for an outside company that was hired by the Schools of Detroit.
One of the problems we survey takers had was that we were required to have a certain per centage of each race. The white would fill up, the African American. But then we'd call and tell a black person "sorry, I need a Native American" and they would sometimes get quite miffed.
I developed a way to still ask them a question and then thank them. It made the day much smoother, and allowed us too find the small per centile answers much more easily.
Pros
Nice little office 100 feet from the freeway.
Cons
Nice little office 100 feet from the freeway.
Enjoyed working at the Performing Arts Schools
Vocal Music Instructor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 17, 2018
I started the vocal music program at one of the school. The school is located in the heart of Detroit. I taught Kindergarten through eighth grade. The student were well behaved. The students knew what to expect and knew the rules.
Pros
Wonderful staff, students and administration
Cons
At the local level, there are some really great people who work for the school district
Curriculum Leader (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 12, 2018
I can't speak for the Central Office, I didn't work there. But at my local school, I worked with some really terrific people, who genuinely cared about educating students.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Stressful environment
Bus Driver
Transportation Driver (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 7, 2018
I would never recommend anyone that I know of too work for at the time the Detroit Bd. Of Education. The work environment was very stressful, Management, could care less about the concerns of the Transportation Driver or the Bus Attendants. As I stated earlier, I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.
fun office
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 13, 2018
the people here are fun and love helping you learn other jobs to get to the next level. moving forwards in the company was pretty much fast cause your coworkers was really helpful in helping you understand if you didn't. this was job where they lived by no coworker left behind
Lil minds big future
Noon Hour Aide (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 10, 2018
Working with kids have always been a pleasure of mine understanding,caring and being apartof their teaching and seeing the excitment on their faces just made my day I was only noon hour aide but I volunteerd for 2 hours prior to my shift
I taught them hour to set up tables and serve their breakfast and lunch and to make their cots for napping
The workplace was like a family of teaching and learning
The hardest part was at the end of the school year when students were moving on to the next grade
I enjoyed being apart of such a wonderful facility
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Low pay, No benefits, Not enough hours