Developmental Disabilities Institute

Developmental Disabilities Institute Employee Reviews

Productive, positive culture
Working for Developmental Disabilities Institute has been rewarding, I've been given the opportunity to work with wonderful coworkers and help build a strong team and a positive workplace culture as assistant program manager.
I have a passion for this field and DDI has help me grow greatly in the last 4 years. I have been able to receive 2 promotions and expand my knowledge in special education from working here. The field can have very difficult days but also very fun days. As a team player, I am able to come up with a plan in how to navigate my days.
engaging clerical position
A lot of filing and busy work. Heavy phone activity. Need to have quick thinking and good judgement. Room to grow in office environment. Learning great office skills.
Don’t work in Crp
I worked in the residential housing. My day was very stressful. Favoritisms in upper management. If no one likes you they will try to get you out of working there. Upper management does nothing to help only points fingers. Snitching,stealing, and all of the above. Don’t do it
Don't do it
Terrible management, nothing ever gets done if there's a problem. Very few people actually care about the kids. The pay is horrendous, in my five years I only got one raise.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Money just simply does not match work load
I was at ddi for less then a year and left unfortunately due to terrible management and the demands of the job getting to me. Yes you do get a great sense of satisfaction working with these individuals but the split shifts and do I mention the dreaded 12 hour shift on a weekend day plus getting beat up by individuals got too me and I just simply had to leave. What was even worse was the inability to call out when I had too without being hassled by my house manager and aswell as my assistant manager telling me I had to come in and that being sick was simply not a good enough excuse to not come in for a 3 hour morning shift? Terrible expensive health benefits with a 1000$ deductible for dental? I can see why there struggling to get people in and keep them aswell
Pros
Matched 401k and 3 days off in a row
Cons
Health care terrible management and even terrible pay
Good people, just hard to manage a social life.
There are many things about this place both pros and cons. If you are desperately looking of a job then definitely try them out. But if no patience don’t.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks
Cons
Physically demanding
Ddi
I don’t feel employees are protected you can legit lose your job for being human while there’s a lot more that takes place within the company wouldn’t recommend
Staff is friendly, and vactions time is great, pay is poor.
Friendly working environment. Children are wonderful. Management is lacking. Pay is awful. Great for a part time gig while putting elf through school.
Good job
It’s a nice place everyone is welcoming it’s a easy place to feel at home everyone talks nice and it’s a comforting place and the work isn’t that hard
The pay does not match the work.
Arrive at the crack of dawn. You get to know soo many of the individuals and what they love. You learn that the little things you do for someone make such a big difference in their life. Few employees do what it takes to make the individuals live better. Management needs to be re-evaluated. Most are just there because they don't want to get rid of them or they don't want to deal with having to find a new employee. Workplace changes depending on the house you work in. The hardest part is when you have a manager who does not keep up the house and things needed to fulfill your duties for the day. The most enjoyable part is when you see the individuals and how they try to show appreciation towards you.
An eye opening experience
I was shocked at first by what I saw working here and how many of my co-workers didn't finish high school. But within ten minutes of my first shift, my entire perspective was shifted. I saw just how much of my own life and capability I took for granted.
The longer I stayed, the more the benefits of the position paid off, from insurance to tuition assistance to a 403(B).

Working with autistic clients is difficult and taxing. You have to be alert and responsible, there is no getting around it. But it's absolutely worth it for however long you should decide to stick with it.
Teacher Assistant Job
Working as a Teacher Assistant was a great experience. It helped prepare me to move on to work with special needs kids at my next job. I value my time here.
team work
I had staff that were willing to help out when shifts were short. There was a lot of teamwork, from staff to staff, but not so much from administration at times
Pros
teamwork
Cons
working last minute shifts on my days off
Rewarding experience
Invaluable experience working with a special population that needs so much in terms of care and intervention. Extremely rewarding work watching and aiding the individuals in their daily living skills.
Pros
Working with the individuals
Cons
Need to be more proactive
Terrible place to work
They hire anybody. They could care less about the students who work there and do not look after their needs. They give fake "training." The management is extremely corrupt and incompetent. The pay is terrible and employees are treated terribly. They also just hire anybody just because they need bodies. They are currently being fined by the Department of Health for poor living conditions in their residency program.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, Low pay
Working with the individuals is great
Poor communication, no understanding of teamwork, to involved with staffs personal life (residential problems, i did not work a day hab so i dont know)
Pros
Opportunitys for advancement are there hard to obtain
Cons
Hierarchy is a little all over the place, so its hard to know who to go to with your problems
The children are the highlight of this job
Overall the health benefits and pay were a big reason I had to leave. $9 an hour and health benefits not covering my monthly medications made living expenses impossible
Pros
Early home
Cons
Bad pay for job requirments
Middle and upper management at the Smithown and Little Plains middle and High School Programs lack Leadership skills. They are narrowminded .a
Nice enough people, however their fear of change and growth ultimately harm the programs they oversee. Petty, retaliatory nonsense engaged in to protect and justify their positions is clearly evident. The Union of Teachers and Teacher ASSISTANts is growing. DDI will not allow related service personnel to join the union. Fear of organized labor should tell you that this organization needs a good shake up FrOM TOP TO MIDDLE.

THE CEO CLAIMS DDI IS BLEEDING MONEY, HOWEVER THE MIDDLE AND TOP MANAGEMEnT IS EXTRODINARily LARGE.

YET THE REASON DDI IS A SCHOOL IS BECAUSE OF THE TEACHERS AND TEACHER ASSISTANTS. THEY CANNOT SECURE A LIVING WAGE, BUT MIDDLE AND UPPER MANAGEMENT CAN ?

Poor money management. I have creative solutions. I cannot get a meeting withCEO.

#Lame #selfserving #thevulnerable #Teachersshouldbepai as professionals.

#Dangerous classrooms

#workerscomp

#staffnotsupported

#shameful
Pros
school calendar
Cons
Pitiful wages for Teachers and Teacher Assistats, untennable comorbid psychiatric overlay with Autism and behavioral Dx.
Great Place to work. The work we do is rewarding
Great Place to work. The work we do is rewarding providing support ot the disabled.
Many different programs; Educational, Recreation. Day Habilitation, Residential, Children's programs, Adult Programs
Fun place to work
I loved working here there was always something to do with community outings, holiday parties, getting to know the individuals and your co workers. Management was fair and understanding to needs of the individuals and staff .
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Developmental Disabilities Institute. Our community is ready to answer.