Developmental Disabilities Institute logo

Work-Life Balance
Pay & Benefits

Developmental Disabilities Institute insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

The staff /DSP are not happy I try to alway lift thier spirits 😊 they feel underpaid

I absolutely love my clients and night shift co-workers . We work as a team I try to keep them from leaving due to the pay and not feeling appreciate ,but we all have to make a living!!

Pros

Taking care of thr residents hands down. Good Benefits !!

Cons

Low pay, not feeling noticed, no communications from staff to staff on shift change

Not a great place

Low staff morale. Educational and residential staff (the backbone of the program) are not respected, underpaid, and undervalued by leadership. Systemic issues are glossed over and repeatedly treated with band-aids to the detriment of staff and serviced individuals.

Pros

Provides much needed services to people with disabilities

Cons

Low morale, poor compensation and benefits, apathetic leadership

Not a good place to keep going to

I started working for them about 4 months after college, while it was fun to work with the clients management was the biggest issue. Be warned that a lot of controversial events happened that were reported but never went through (Medicare fraud, abuse, employees stealing food from clients) if you choose to work here don't stay for too long. There's not much room to grow unless you know people from the inside already.

Pros

Good training, the work culutre, and the time off

Cons

Management, pay, work hazards, benefits

Not a good environment

How a company treats you during a pandemic really shows. They treated their dsp staff very poorly during times of covid. Stressful environment, very poor management skills within the agency. Makes your job a lot harder they can never get the management right and don’t listen to complaints of staff

Benefits

Cons

Staffing, management

Amazing place to work

I really enjoyed my time here at DDI. I learned so much and gained a lot of experience. If you love working with kids and are interested in special education, it's the perfect job for you.

Pros

Decent hours, flexible job

Cons

Short breaks, not enough pay

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

shady

Managers don't help employees, they are rarely around and mostly protect each other. Many women have gotten hurt and put in danger due to lack of proper safety measures. They failed us. The injuries and stress sustained on the Job does not equate the salary paid. And it's almost impossible to get time off for vacation or sick time. By far the worst job I've ever had.

Salary too low for amount of work

For a position that requires a master's degree and experience, the salary does not match the requirements. Plus the challenging issues that are dealt with daily. It is a rewarding job, but morale is low also

flexibility

this job gives you flexible hours but the work and pay don't always match up. it has its ups and down but do not see myself working as a dsp here much longer.

Working for the cause

DDI is an innovative facility that really does an amazing job working with children with Autism. Their program demonstrates the ability to really drive the children to live a sustainable life or try to depending on the severity of their autism. It is a wonderful place to work unfortunately compensation is really lacking for the job done.

DdI is okay

Working for ddi. Is not bad it has it good days and bad days . The company just needs to work on paying the workers more for. And the management needs Work

Jobs at Developmental Disabilities Institute

See more jobs

Don't do it

Terrible management, nothing ever gets done if there's a problem. Very few people actually care about the kids. The pay is horrendous, in my five years I only got one raise.

Money just simply does not match work load

I was at ddi for less then a year and left unfortunately due to terrible management and the demands of the job getting to me. Yes you do get a great sense of satisfaction working with these individuals but the split shifts and do I mention the dreaded 12 hour shift on a weekend day plus getting beat up by individuals got too me and I just simply had to leave. What was even worse was the inability to call out when I had too without being hassled by my house manager and aswell as my assistant manager telling me I had to come in and that being sick was simply not a good enough excuse to not come in for a 3 hour morning shift? Terrible expensive health benefits with a 1000$ deductible for dental? I can see why there struggling to get people in and keep them aswell

Pros

Matched 401k and 3 days off in a row

Cons

Health care terrible management and even terrible pay

Good people, just hard to manage a social life.

There are many things about this place both pros and cons. If you are desperately looking of a job then definitely try them out. But if no patience don’t.

Pros

Paid lunch breaks

Cons

Physically demanding

An eye opening experience

I was shocked at first by what I saw working here and how many of my co-workers didn't finish high school. But within ten minutes of my first shift, my entire perspective was shifted. I saw just how much of my own life and capability I took for granted. The longer I stayed, the more the benefits of the position paid off, from insurance to tuition assistance to a 403(B). Working with autistic clients is difficult and taxing. You have to be alert and responsible, there is no getting around it. But it's absolutely worth it for however long you should decide to stick with it.

The children are the highlight of this job

Overall the health benefits and pay were a big reason I had to leave. $9 an hour and health benefits not covering my monthly medications made living expenses impossible

Pros

Early home

Cons

Bad pay for job requirments

I enjoyed what i did because it was fulfillinf to myself.

The job itself was great, management was terrible, funding was terrible. The pay was not complible to our duties and responsibilities. We never got raises yearly. The overtime was great and available.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Lack of pay

Decent job but easy to get stuck

At the best time, this job is/was fun and my coworkers were tight-knit. Management could be hit or miss but from my personal experience there were & is signs of favoritism and easy to get on managements' bad side. Hours can be long and drag but usually would have weekends or 3 days off depending on where you work in the agency. If you need a job for food on the table I would recommend but if you're looking for advancement or otherwise to make good money and you don't have a degree pertaining to this field you can easily get stuck at entry level.

Pros

Company events, flexible at times.

Cons

Extra responsibilities, mangament overbearing

Official response from Developmental Disabilities Institute

January 8, 2019
Thank you for your candid comment. Working at DDI can be fun and there are a lot of great opportunities to participate in, but it is hard work! Our mission is carried out every day by our amazing staff! A nice work/life balance is something that DDI can offer since we have various schedules and locations available.Many of our staff take advantage of our training and tuition reimbursement as well!

It was good.

Didn't really have many problems at the job. The kids I worked with were all enjoyable. There is double pay for Holidays like labor day, thanksgiving etc.

Missed opportunities

So many inefficient practices. Uneven distribution of work. Lack of strong leadership. Complacent staff. Good time off if you can take it. Inexpensive health care.

Pros

Inexpensive health insurance

Cons

Everything else

Come for experiece and trainings then move on like everyone else

Compensations doesn't equal the amount of work. Favoritism and inconsistent among employees. People are put against each other to show who is working harder, but doesn't matter anyways. Whistleblower policy and confidentially is a joke, if you don't want someone to know something then don't tell anyone! Always room for advancement because when people realize their worth they move on.

Rewarding and life changing

I’ve worked for DDI for 16 and a half years as a TA. Yes there are challenges and yes the amount we get paid for the work that we do could be much higher. But in my experience and most recently the management has tried very hard to support the staff by lobbying to the senetars and assembly workers to help fight for more fund increases which would lead to more pay raises for staff. DDI cares deeply about the individuals that they serve and for their employees. They try to come up with creative ways to boost staff moral through out the school year. It would be nice if a certain amount of staff could have the option to have the summers off while still being paid (like districts do-removing a certain amount of money out of the staffs paycheck each week until summer then receiveing their end of theyear check). However, DDI is always coming up with new and improved ways to make things better. DDI in my experience is one of the best places to work if you love children, love people with special needs and love to help others!!!

Pros

Benefits, paid holidays off, family work environment

Cons

Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Developmental Disabilities Institute. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.4Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight