Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health Employee Reviews

I love my clients, I hate my job.
Community Based Clinician (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 12, 2019
I've been working in the community based program for the last 2.5 years and the same cultural issues that were present when I first started have persisted and gotten even worse. There are issues with cultural competence, consistency between admin, and poor work/life balance. Advancement is minimal, everyone starts at the same salary with is barely enough to live on in growing Denver and once your licensed the raise is standardized and still not competitive. The interactions and level of engagement I've able to have on a regular basis with my kids is motivating. A majority of the work is activity based and coregulation. Every activity we do, game we play, or craft I have had to buy the supplies for. They have some travel play therapy kits for clinicians to take with them but they are large and sometimes inconvenient. The last few years have really felt as if they monopolize on new, inexperienced clinicians as a way to hide behind their poor management. The job description also states that there are monthly training opportunities which sounds nice in theory but these are redundant, company developed e-learnings. If you want to to attend a training you are expected to pay for it and take an HML/TOB day to attend. This past year the company did give each clinician $100 each to use towards training or materials.I can't speak to whether or not this will be consistent. Autonomy is both a positive and a negative because it allows for you to work your own schedule and flex when you want without taking days off as long as you meet the productivity goal. It is a con though because this  more... the nature of community based work can feel very isolating. You will encounter a majority of the hassles of working for a larger corporation without the benefits. Clients are still just a number, even in this specialized clinic setting. Over time, I'm sad to say, but I've noticed a decrease in the quality of my care for my clients due to the toll the work culture takes on the clinicians specifically.  less
Pros
Diversity of clienteles, Flexibility, Autonomy, Loan repayment.
Cons
Autonomy, Poor compensation, No training, Poor work/life balance, No money for supplies.
Stressful/To much Favoritism / Unorganized
Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 10, 2019
I love working with and helping people,,I have children with IDD so this field is what I live for. The problem with this company is that the corruption is at the higher level everyone seems to be related or very close friends. They pick and choose who they want to promote, if you're a yes person who doesn't make waves and keeps your opinion to yourself then you're sure to get promoted. There's a lot of back stabbing and pettiness from fellow managers, lots of Gossiping, lack of team work and if your peers don't like you they won't help you. If upper management doesn't like you they won't help you either or promote you instead they promote the fake managers who have the easy group homes, what they will do is try to set you up to fail. They pile copious amounts of work on the managers and set unrealistic expectations to get the work completed. They make managers over see vacant group homes along with their own assigned group home with no extra compensation. They constantly change things at a moment's notice and are adding more and more work on the managers. The training given is useless and ineffective the equipment hardly ever works.The day to day is extremely stressful , there's a lack of support from the higher ups, the Executive Director has to see what's going on by reading these reviews. But the consensus is Managers and staff alike are all BURNED OUT! If you are looking for a job that will stress you out daily, a job where there's no real advancement, unless your a yes person, a job where favoritism RULES! a job where you don't matter, a job that supports  more... the YES person and not the actual hard worker then come on over they're waiting for more suckers to apply. I also forgot to mention how incredibly understaffed they are both with DSPs and managers. This company doesn't care at all about the people who actual are keeping them in business, without the clients Devereux wouldn't exist, without the DSPs Devereux would have no clients, without some of the harder working managers the group homes would fall apart (oh that's right they would just over work a manager and have that manager cover both homes). But knowing this they continue to treat this group of workers as expendable and once you step in the door you become their pawn. Bottom line is as long as you say yes to everything, & agree to be their lap dog and bend over backwards you'll move up the ladder, but until you find the strength and take ownership of the following words " Sorry I can't continue to run myself into the ground, you'll have to find someone else" They will continue to work you to death (literally)until you've had enough and either quit or drop down to a sub. I am actively looking for another company that actually cares about their employees and the clients, you can't have one without the other. A happy employee is a more productive worker. Not A Burned Out Employee!

DEVEREUX YOU ARE BURNING OUT YOUR EMPLOYEES!

I can't stress enough to find a better company ...This place is not a good place to work at. You've been warned!
Pros
some flexibilty
Cons
low compensation, Burn out is high, lack of teamwork, understaffed, too much favoritism, created positions made for certain people, overworked, under appreciated, no advancement
Great experience in the mental health field.
Human Services Professional (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GANovember 12, 2018
It was an amazing learning environment and I was allowed to grow as a mental health professional. I learned how to interact with children and young adults that were facing different challenges in their. As an HSP, and direct support professional there was no support from upper management and the job felt threatened on a daily basis. The program was not growing because of inconsistencies in the rules and management. The hardest part of the job is not being able to successfully meet the needs of the children due to not having enough staff. There is also no work/life balance and the demand of the job can be stressful. Being on call 24/7 was difficult to manage. I enjoyed the environment and working with the children. Being able to find creative ways to make the children happy was the best part of the job. Implementing plans that allowed the children to grow and advance beyond their trauma was also very rewarding.
Pros
Free lunch, benefits
Cons
On call 24/7
Wouldn't recommend it
DCP (Former Employee) –  Rutland, MANovember 10, 2018
A very disorganized place to work, the sad part is the kids are great but the staff is awful and will throw you under the bus . There is no advancement opportunity's I was overlooked for positions that I was more than qualified for and knew all of the paperwork for , as well as how to best do the job. Everyone is late to work every day, and coworkers will not help you out even when your new. I would not recommend working here to anyone .
Pros
great clients, decent pay, pretty good benifits
Cons
Awful staff and Management, no breaks and barely and bathroom breaks
Working with teens is very rewarding
Supervision of direct care staff (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GANovember 14, 2018
This career can be very stressful but rewarding. The nursing staff at Devereux work together as a teem to provide excellent care to the clients. There pay and the benefits at Devereux for Nursing staff is above average.
Not a bad place to work
Master's Level Therapist (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, DEJanuary 13, 2019
Very good place to work and the comardrie is good for some people. The only issue is the administration should train their new employees. A lot of work and it gets tiring driving around all the time.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
All the incidentals are nice.
It's not the worst place
direct support worker (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJJanuary 9, 2019
Devereux has a lot of consumers who are difficult to manage. They cater to the families way too much. Some of these families put unreasonable demands on the support workers who are not equipped to handled the level of care required. In addition Devereux has a huge population of staff that are foreigners and the cultural diffrences makes it very cliqueish environment.
Pros
salary
Cons
very cliqueish
Great behavioral analysis experience
Direct Support Leader (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLSeptember 18, 2018
If your intent is work in the world of behavior analysis, this job is a great place to work. You work closely with BA's, psychologists, doctors and management to create, implement and maintain behavior plans for residents. However, recognition and compensation is few and far between. Once you are no longer an absolute necessity to the program, your position is easily replaceable. Management doesn't support employees in time of crisis.
Pros
Benefits, paid time off
Cons
Job advancement, lack of appreciation for employees, staff is expendible
Not a job for beginnier mental health providers
PROGRAM SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GANovember 26, 2018
The salary doesn't compensate for the work that is required.

Only experienced or retirees should be allowed to work with the clients. I've observed inexperienced young people gt hurt who weas ot aware of this field
High turnover rate due to management, not the job itself.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaSeptember 17, 2018
If your calling is working in behavioral health, Devereaux may be a great place for you. Unfortunately, there is an extremely high turnover rate- which I believe is due to a few factors: poor management (extremely understaffed, you will end up being mandated to work shifts back to back often, even a couple days in a row), poor hand-off communication (Devereaux is supposed to have GREAT hand-off communication but reflects the opposite. Veteran staff lack in helping new hires get up to speed with them, leaving them without direction and support), and inadequate pay and compensation for the physical, emotional, and mental toll of the job. Yes, the job itself can be stressful and challenging, but the politics and management of the company is what turns so many people away, including me. Free meals and overtime pay does not compensate for what direct care staff truly have to endure.
Interesting place to work; never a dull moment.
Lead Direct Support Professional [Overnight] (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PAOctober 17, 2018
Salary wish, Devereux is Def. Not it but terms of their benefit- it's all worth it (the best). Also the ability to work overtime Is the only way to make ends meet
Pros
Great benefits/ overtime
Cons
Salary/ hourly rate
Kids
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PASeptember 29, 2018
Love the kids, some supervisors lack professionalism. Overall its not a bad place to work. I believe the pay should be higher. Benefits should be given to all staff not just full time staff.
Poor
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAAugust 17, 2018
High stress, low compensation. They constantly violated ethics standards when it came to care of the children and it was typically a management decision however, the staff were the ones penalized for it.
Official response from Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health
August 20, 2018

Thank you for your comment. Devereux is committed to the highest levels of professionalism, and we are focused on providing the best possible care to those individuals who need our support.

We take matters related to our team members very seriously and want to investigate any concerns as soon as possible. Would you please provide us with more detail through our “Contact Us” page at www.devereux.org -- so we can look into this matter further?

- Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health

Good company, some locations can be better managed
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Pine Hills, FLJuly 25, 2018
Some of the sites can be better managed. Too many cliques. Some sites develop cultures which can take over and overwrite company policies. Hiring process and training delineates the company's policies and mission, however independent sites allow their developed cultures to take over.
Pros
Good benefits, many resources and opportunities for employees
Cons
Site management issues
If you like constant drama, then this is the place for you.
VOCATIONAL AIDE (Current Employee) –  Woobury, NJDecember 9, 2018
If staff could just focus on themselves and the consumers, this would be a great job to work at. If upper management didn't retaliate against good workers based off of emotions, then it would be a great job to stay and grow with the company. The consumers should be the only stress of the job, instead you have to worry about upper management overriding your supervisor with writing you up for stupid things because they don't like you. Nothing is kept in private because you have people who are always near the managers door trying to listen to what you are talking to the supervisor about or just walking in on a private conversation. You have staff who is constanly causing drama because they can't seem to separate their personal life from their work life. Due to them being miserable, they make up things to get other people in trouble possibly fired. There are too many investigations happening due to people lying for their friend that is being investigated or because they don't want to be involved. The constant threats from upper management if you don't do something a certain way or ask a simple question (make them feel powerless) you will get written up or possibly fired. Upper managment talk nasty to staff. No paid vacations, always have to use your time to cover for the holidays, and if there is a closing on the day program due to the weather, you will be forced to go into the group homes to work for the day instead of just getting paid for the bday because the center is closed. This is not a place for good hard workers. This is a place for lazy people who lie their way to the  more... top. Only corrupt staff get promotion here, if they really like you they will create a position for you out the blue. Please go elsewhere and work, don't come here. We are constantly short staff all the time, you will get burned out quickly, and there is no loyalty for hard workers, they only look out for lazy people. Staff is always om their phones not paying attention tontheir assigned consumers. Someone needs to call the state on this place, real facts!!!!!  less
Pros
Consumers and having a set schedule
Cons
Staff, upper management, no paid holidays, and being forced to work the group homes due to incliment of weather.
Good company
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  League City, TXJune 1, 2018
Good company to work for; however, needs improvement with Work Life Balance, work culture and pay. Also, there wasn't much room for career advancement within the company.
Pros
Benefits, helping the clients improve their lives, great clinicians and doctors
Cons
Work Culture
A Mess
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Red Hook, NYJune 9, 2018
This whole place and programs need renovation. The environment is entirely too dangerous and stressful for the compensation. There is very little room for advancement. The general consensus is we do not feel supported by management. You go into work everyday with the thought that it could be your last. The hardest part of the job is not being backed/ supported by management especially when you've had a good reputation with the organization.
Unique experince
Dcp (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 18, 2018
Devereux is a unique opportunity to experience and get to know kids you might not get to meet in life . It's a challenging and strong job that you habe to be mentally n physically toigh to handle it .
Pros
The work with yoyr schedule if your in school.
Cons
Salary is low, no break, no paid time and a half on holidays
Not a good place to work
DCP (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJune 22, 2018
I would ONLY recommend this place to those who are in desperate need of a job. Management is unprofessional, the staff and supervisors are rude, it is a very hostile environment with no support from the higher ups. Lots of staff have been hurt or seriously injured with little to no support and no real consequences to the clients that did it. You will get stuck at least 4 times a week and they don't care if you have to get your kids from school or if you have a second job if they mandate you and you cant stay you will get written up. The program is very unorganized as well. I have not met a staff that has actually enjoyed working there.
Pros
free lunch, benefits, unlimited OT
Cons
Everything else
Do not work here
Assist adults (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PANovember 30, 2018
Horrible management. They don't care about their employees. Had to drive 1hr+ to clients. No comp for travel/mileage/gas. No job security and had to pay for all my own clearances

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight