deviantART Employee Reviews

See reviews about
4.0Pay & Benefits
3.5Job Security & Advancement
Not your typical job, but it gives you experience
Artist/Web Administrator (Current Employee) –  At homeNovember 11, 2017
As much as people hate deviantart (for its people) it gives you many experiences most students do not get outside of school. Yet, it can be fun at times, there are people who tend not to listen and may break the rules to try and get what they want. As a guest designer (someone who creates designs based off of some elses idea) I have to deal with these sorts of people constantly.
Pros
Some artists allow to do whatever you want, others give you free gifts, some artists do not require you to pay a fee if you work with/for them
Cons
Many people are not kind or like to hear the truth, hardheaded and just all around people who do not care for you as a person.
Awesome place to work. Great community, great staff.
Community Volunteer (Current Employee) –  TelecomuteJanuary 24, 2013
I only volunteer with deviantART.com, though I have been offered an official position at their offices in LA (sadly I couldn't take it because I couldn't afford to move). They are an amazing group of people though, and they run their website like no other company I have come across. They communicate directly with users, provide places for people to easily suggest and discuss ideas to improve the site, post weekly articles keeping users up to date on the goings on with the site, and allow people to leave feedback on these articles. The staff are very involved on multiple levels which is great.
My typical day, though I have no set hours, involves responding to community feedback and helping people with issues they may be experiencing. I also moderate the forums doing things such as closing threads that break the rules and moving threads that have been posted in the wrong section. I also work on different community projects and contests around the site, though these don't happen on any regular schedule.
My fellow volunteers are awesome as well. We're a weird bunch but everyone gets along great and is happy to help one another out both on and off the site. I've never come across a better group of people.
Honestly, the hardest part of the job is dealing with users who are unwilling to listen and refuse to act like anything other than immature children. I adore being able to help people, but there's only so much I can take of people being unwilling to help themselves.
Pros
endless subscription to deviantart.com, other things i am contractually obligated not to discuss, great team to work with.