Devon Energy Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
No team atmosphere and very inadequate in experiance
Head Janitor (Former Employee) –  Artesia NMAugust 12, 2018
I would rate this as the worst Production company out there. If you want to work with a company and always be in fear of losing your job Devon is the perfect place to work. They are lacking in experience starting at the top ranking potions. they are poised to get people hurt.. They can not follow there on business plan, the worst grouping of inexperienced professionals around.
Pros
Cons
to many to list
Not the same company it was 5 years ago
Production Analyst (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NMAugust 10, 2018
The company has always been top heavy. I had very little idea where my up line existed. After the company failed to manage a decline in oil prices despite having hedges in place that sheltered them from price fallout immediately, they laid off about 25% of their workforce. They let everyone know 6 months in advance that they were coming then handed out pink slips without rhyme or reason. Immediately after they began a large field structure change where most people’s job assignments were changed or moved into different positions. No one was asked, they were told. I was moved into a new position that had an additional 1.5 hour commute each way unpaid and pushed to work 12-14 hour days. No appreciation was ever extended but reprimands were in no shortage. This. Company, at least in NM,, is being operated by the least qualified management team I have ever been unfortunate to work for. If this is not a last resort for you, seek employment elsewhere
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Micromanagement and leadership that is incapable of taking any accountability
A great company to work for
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2018
A typical day involved working at the office with assigned roles and responsibilities as a Software developer.
Learned latest trends technology relating to Software Development.
Management is very encouraging and always there to assist and guide us in the right direction.
Devon Energy has a very friendly team working environment.
Working with a team with a diverse academic backgrounds and meeting new people during the work course.
paid good, no support
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 9, 2018
paid good, no support, no loyalty to employees. dangerous environment. no recognition for time with company, laid off so buddies could keep their job.
Excellent
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cresson, TXAugust 8, 2018
It’s a Great place to work. There are great people to work with They care about their employees. They give bonus’s every year & raises every year. Culture is great.
Pros
Flexible with employees life schedules
Cons
The industry goes downhill every 10 years & you have to worry about getting laid off.
Awesome Place to Work!
Customer Relations (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXJuly 28, 2018
Overall, I would definitely recommend Devon Energy to work! It was a very pleasant environment to work at. I mainly enjoyed the flow. Everyone worked together to accomplish a common goal.
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 17, 2018
Great culture and work life balance. Gym is nice to have on site. Covered parking. Easy access to lots of downtown events. Lots of learning opportunities.
Great Company
Data Management Professional (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 6, 2018
Great company going through needed growing pains. Increased focus on benefits that will aid in employee retention and recruitment. Overall a great place to work.
I worked for home with a computer FOB
Data Editor / Well Log Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 3, 2018
I liked the job but the oil industry crashed in 2016. I only met my direct supervisor. I crunched numbers from home. I worked on my own time sometimes until four in the morning, sometimes half a day. I was just required to get the projects given done, by X-day. I have worked on call 24/7 since 1980. I am not a good sleeper because of that life.
MGM
Pros
Working from home.
Cons
Being laid off, but it was the industry at the time.
Just a #
Assist field personnel (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 2, 2018
When I first started working for Devon It was a great place to work. Then layoffs happened and it went all down hill. Work Work Work. Also the people are so judgmental.
Fun workplace
Completion Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 25, 2018
I enjoyed my employment at Devon. Not only were the people good to work with but the culture was one to keep you around. I always felt my work was appreciated.
It used to be a good place
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 20, 2018
This was a great place when I started in 2014. Since then the culture has changed drastically and well stinks. Managers pit employees against each other. Collaboration doesn’t happen. No one can make a decision. Everything has to go through a bazillion layers of management to get done. Managers play favorites in a serious way. The last round of layoffs was the nail in the coffin. Basically cleared out all the experience and kept the youngins with lower salaries. I am 29 yrs old. There’s hardly anyone left older that I can learn from. That’s a huge problem.
Pros
9/80 schedule, vacation time
Cons
Management, culture
Great company with many friendly faces
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 18, 2018
I learned a lot about IT installment in a pretty fast paced setting. The management I had took time to teach me what I needed to do and I got it all done in accordance. Paid for our food and gave us small breaks.
Fun place to work, caring about people and community
Supervisor, Data & Analytics (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 14, 2018
Great sense of community, has been a pillar of the community. Adapting to new technologies and great work facilities.

The company encourages a lot of volunteer opportunities and donates to great causes like United Way, Habitat for Humanity, etc
WAS a great company; Hopefully it will be again
Mid level Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 13, 2018
WAS a great company; Hopefully it will be again.
Problems are at the very top. The company has lost many good employees since 2008 and attracted some good people as well. They just don't do the right things to retain the best. Culture has gone sour.
Great place to work.
A/P Accountant; JV Accountant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 5, 2018
My coworkers and my supervisors were great to work with. I enjoyed my time there immensely. Devon clearly communicates their values and lives by them in every way. Benefits were hands down the best I have ever found.
Poorly run company
N/A (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 30, 2018
-No value of there people, your just a number
-Upper management is young, very little real experience.
-New grads "innovative" style is highly regarded and usually results in programs that fail and cost the company time and money.
-Very Top heavy
-Forced surveys
Pros
None, Less than average company
Cons
Too many to list
Great Benefits, fast paced
Geological Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 24, 2018
Management has changed but benefits are still among the best in the industry. Paid time off is excellent and so is the health benefits. Management is selling off too many properties.
Benefits
Cons
Upper management
Professional atmophere
Lead engineering data specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityMay 21, 2018
Professional and structured. One of the top 100 companies to work.
The freedom to allow me to travel and mentor to field sites was amazing. I had the freedom to move Devon into the Automation technology it needed
Pros
Wellness center
Cons
Excellent place to work, except when there are layoffs.
Constr/Facilities Tech. - Level 6 (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 18, 2018
Work directly with the engineer to layout the work schedule for the week. Then I was free to wok at my own pace and ask any questions as needed. Devon provided with many training opportunities to increase efficiencies and knowledge gained. The people were all great to work with and were always welcoming. The most difficult part for me was obtaining enough information about the facilities in order to do my job successful. I mostly enjoyed getting to know all the various types of people, making new friends and working together to finish a project on time!
Pros
Flex time, Bonuses & Lunch discount
Cons
Layoffs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Devon Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight