Devon Energy Employee Reviews

Interesting place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 11, 2017
A lot of back stabbing; low collaboration; low communication; great technology; great oil plays and a lot of capital; nice facility; ruthless HR department with low credibility
Pros
oil
Cons
sleazy
Best place ever!
IT Technician/ Contractor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 8, 2017
I was an intern at Devon and if I could literally go back and do things differently, I would have worked harder to stay with the company somehow. I learned so many things from great people and it was the most wonderful job I would have ever wanted!
Pros
staff, work, a lot of work to be done.
Behind the technology curve
Senior Geological Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 7, 2017
Devon was five years behind in technology from my previous employer. They had dated procedures and software. My productivity suffered by nearly 30% due to this.

The manager constantly berated staff.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Poor management
Has a Great reputation in the Community but,
Materials Management and Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, TXOctober 26, 2017
This company says lots of good things about how ethical they are, but in reality, contracts are awarded to the one that offers the most kickbacks. As the oilfield slowed down, people were laid off and the ones left were expected to do as much work. When I was hired in my department, I was the 13th person to report to my manager. When I left, I was the only person reporting to him. We were working 6 a.m. to 7 or 8 p.m. 6 days a week. The pay and benefits were outstanding, but not a place to work if you want to have any type of personal life.
Pros
Pay; benefits
Cons
long hours; on-call 24-7 even when on vacation
team building was fun
Lease Operator (Former Employee) –  Navajo Dam, NMOctober 24, 2017
i loved working at Devon Energy it is a good place to work good healthcare and vacation time off two weeks and the work hours were good i would tell a friend to go work for Devon Energy
Fun workplace
Office Services Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 24, 2017
Devon Energy was a good company to work for until they closed the Houston Office. I enjoyed working there. The people were wonderful. The gym that was installed for the employees had the best workout equipment.
Fun company with great people
Senior Landman (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 23, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Devon. Management was pretty much hands off and let you do your job. Great team work and environment. Great compensation and benefits.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Lack of company direction
Was laid off after 15 years
Lead accountant revenue (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 18, 2017
I loved my job. Sadly it ended too soon . I would go back if they would consider rehiring me . I started as a senior staff and promoted before the end of the day to Lead Accountsnt and stayed there in that position until the layoff .
Pros
Good environment, good pay, good benefits
Cons
HR failed to do anything about complaints about upper mgmt
Fun Competitive
DevOps Automation Configuration Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 9, 2017
It was pleasure working in this environment.I loved it,Competetiveand well balanced,Overall it was my most enjoyable part of my life.Soon im missing my manager adam who is strength of mine ans carries a smile in each and every momene
Great place to work but some need tighter leash in the field
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Riverton, WYSeptember 28, 2017
Great place to work but newly created department heads and its employees need to be accountable to the bottom line. Unfortunately corporate feels these newly created departments streamline the organization but does not realize how unproductive they are. Their department managers and assistant managers need to be held accountable for expenses associated with projects in the respective field they support including contractor expenses they farm work out they should be doing themselves.
Pros
Good work environment and great people, although stressful loved my job
Cons
Work life balance for production foreman in field operations could be improved
Overall a good place to work
Production Operator III - SBU Eagleford (Current Employee) –  Cuero, TXSeptember 19, 2017
Overall good place to work. I feel that Devon overall is a good place to work. They support a well balanced work life balance and promote family and personal time.
Good Company
DSC - Production Analyst (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 14, 2017
Great company just divested in my area. Pay and benefits are the best in the industry. I had to relocate so I just made sense for me to start looking for jobs elsewhere.
Supervisor Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2017
Private offices for professionals, tuition reimbursement, good salary, opportunities for travel and interface with all levels of employees, great benefits, etc
Pros
reduced costs for soft drinks and snacks
Cons
no longer located in Houston
A good place to start a career
Geologist II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2017
Devon's Houston office was an enjoyable work environment and was a good place to begin a career. I believe I was well trained and my career was a priority at Devon.
Devon was great...
BI&T Client Svcs-Desktop Field Contractor (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 11, 2017
I was under a contract when working for Devon. They had new software they wanted to roll-out. I installed cable and video equipment in the conference room for the safety videos for their team to review.

I also assisted their in house IT Supervisor on smaller tasks.

Just prior to the roll-out, it was cancelled.
Great company, too bad the lay off
EHS Professional II (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 26, 2017
Devon was a good company, and even though my first line manager was substandard, by and large the organization was well-meaning and worked hard. The atmosphere was low stress, yet still encouraged people to think outside the box.

The company is probably going to struggle for a while with financials. Their previous bad investments in oil and gas properties, combined with depressed commodity prices are going to haunt Devon.
Pros
Great facilities, good culture
Cons
Financially struggling.
Great Place to work!
Completion and Production Analyst (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXAugust 25, 2017
Great Place to work! Relaxed environment and great leadership. Only left because Spring office shut down and I was laid off. Great culture, and great team environment.
Overall a really good company to work for.
TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 11, 2017
Very pleased with Devon Energy overall, super great people, love the work life balance and environment as well as a beautiful facility. My only complaint was the long drive downtown and once arriving to work it was too much effort to try and run errands at lunch due to the length of time it takes to get to your vehicle etc...Wish lunch hour was 1.5hrs.
Pros
Workout facility, dining, beautiful facility
Cons
Long drive, isolated once arriving to work
One of the best companies I have worked for.
Sr. Geologist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2017
I really enjoyed my time there. We had plenty of training. Great work environment. We felt appreciated and could see the impact of our work on the organization. One of the best companies I have worked for.
Pros
9/80 work schedulle
Cons
no office in Houston
Great Place to Work
Identity Management Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 31, 2017
I enjoyed many years at Devon Energy. I would go back to work for them given the right opportunity. As with most corporate environments it could be extremely fast-paced, but the compensation was great.