Devon Energy Employee Reviews

Great people a safe culture
Lease Operator (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WY/Bill, WYNovember 3, 2018
Great place to work, safe, productive and fun. Great management, excellent co-workers. Excellent compensation packages with PTO, Healthcare coverage, vision, dental and wellness incentives.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
Slow advancement
Stable job with a great company
Lease Operator (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, okNovember 1, 2018
As a production operator at Devon you maintain production of oil and natural gas wells and attend many safety meetings which can be boring sometimes and very informative other times.
Pros
Too many to list, if you can think it they probably have it
Cons
Very little oversight on lower management, hire on promises may not be kept.
Devon Energy
Accountant Professional Expenditures (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 31, 2018
I only worked at Devon as Temp in their Accounting Department. From what I could tell from the short period I was there was that as it is in the oil and gas industry there are frequent layoffs or rearrangement of personnel. Pay is not what it should be for a company the size of Devon.
Pros
Decent Work Life Balance Depends on Supervisor and Management in your Dept
Cons
Lack of job security. Pay is moderate for most employees
Productive and rewarding
Land Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2018
Work load well balanced between work, family and community involvement. Co-workers encouraged one another and pulled together to efficiently complete projects. Management open to new ideas, easy to speak with concerning work environment and project suggestions.
Pros
Community oriented, health fitness club, flex hours
Utter Kaos
Lease Operator III (Former Employee) –  Wetaherford, OkOctober 20, 2018
Devon May be a leader in their pier group corporately, however their field locations are 5 to 10 years behind competitors in safety, processes, and design of facilities. No one at the field location I worked in was interested in any type of improvement unless it came from corporate level. In the last couple years I worked there no one could suggest, help, or get any type help without it being turned into a negative. , Have been with 3 majors in my 25 years and this was the best paying but the most miserable culture I have ever been a part of. Safety has suffered in the current restructuring, they have had 2 big preventable environmental spills, 3 major injuries and a fire at a facility. Safety is yours to manage because they wont. We talk about it a lot but nobody is responsible for anything.
Pros
Salary
Cons
To many to list
Intensely Focused Enterprise
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 18, 2018
My experience was not typical due to low oil prices and downsizing. Whole departments and floors experienced layoffs. The atmosphere was tense and as too often the blame-game creates a culture of fear. It is the nature of the industry.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Depends on market and polotics
Okay Place to Work
SAP Data Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Cuero, TXOctober 16, 2018
It was an ok place to work with decent compensation but overall the work environment and constant worry about having a job the next week was too much stress. Devon is not the place to work if you plan on working somewhere to retire at.
Very productive and learning new programs constantly
Geological Geophysical Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2018
I loved my job, everyday was a challenge and something different, so I was never bored. I enjoyed working with the professional Geologists and Geophysicists. My job could be described as a Technical Administrative Assistant. I worked with various data loading software programs and extracted and loaded to those programs. The challenge was each program had it's own format, so I had to edit data to load for each software program. I mostly worked for VP of Exploration and created many displays for management meetings using the data in various ways.
Pros
Cons
No Part-Time positions
Great
Lead Desktop Analyst Field (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2018
Great place to work. You were given the opportunity to advance into other areas. Minimal Travel. Management was great.Workplace culture was great, and great people to work with
Productive Campus-style workplace
Community Affairs Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 27, 2018
The culture and focus on community is second to none at Devon Energy. From the mail room to the executive floors, everyone does their part to ensure a top-notch operating environment.
Very Good Management
PMO, Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 23, 2018
Company feels like a major corporation but is really a small company. I would recommend you have experience when working for Devon. People really know their job here.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Layoffs
Enjoyable place to work.
Night Pumper III (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NMSeptember 12, 2018
I enjoyed working for Devon Energy. Everyone that I worked with were friendly, helpful, and were team players. We all got along together, and share our knowledge. There wasn't a person their that thought it was all about them, like some other companies have.
Lead Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 6, 2018
Great compensation and benefits. Period. Unfortunately in IT, there are major management issues. They have a lot of communication break downs in the chain of command. Also, a lot of architecture decisions are made at the Director level and pushed down from a "just make this happen" level with no input from those that have to maintain or manage the infrastructure.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Management. Period. No communication skills
Devon Energy
Geoscientist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 29, 2018
Devon Energy is excellent organization with professional and extremely competent personnel and management. The company has clear vision where it wants to be and how to achieve this goal. Devon takes a very good care about employees and their professional development and it's a great place to work.
Devon Energy Corp. Review
Drilling Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 28, 2018
Great work environment. Treatment of employees is great overall. Attention to life/family balance with work life is a plus! Alternative work schedule, with every other Friday off was available throughout the time I worked there, which was wonderful for my family.
Best job ever
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 15, 2018
I absolutely loved working at Devon Energy. It was the best job ever. The people were great, the work was great, the culture was great, absolutely everything about it I loved. I really wish I was able to still work there, but unfortunately there was a hiring freeze after my contract was up.
No team atmosphere and very inadequate in experiance
Head Janitor (Former Employee) –  Artesia NMAugust 12, 2018
I would rate this as the worst Production company out there. If you want to work with a company and always be in fear of losing your job Devon is the perfect place to work. They are lacking in experience starting at the top ranking potions. they are poised to get people hurt.. They can not follow there on business plan, the worst grouping of inexperienced professionals around.
Pros
Cons
to many to list
Not the same company it was 5 years ago
Production Analyst (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NMAugust 10, 2018
The company has always been top heavy. I had very little idea where my up line existed. After the company failed to manage a decline in oil prices despite having hedges in place that sheltered them from price fallout immediately, they laid off about 25% of their workforce. They let everyone know 6 months in advance that they were coming then handed out pink slips without rhyme or reason. Immediately after they began a large field structure change where most people’s job assignments were changed or moved into different positions. No one was asked, they were told. I was moved into a new position that had an additional 1.5 hour commute each way unpaid and pushed to work 12-14 hour days. No appreciation was ever extended but reprimands were in no shortage. This. Company, at least in NM,, is being operated by the least qualified management team I have ever been unfortunate to work for. If this is not a last resort for you, seek employment elsewhere
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Micromanagement and leadership that is incapable of taking any accountability
A great company to work for
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2018
A typical day involved working at the office with assigned roles and responsibilities as a Software developer.
Learned latest trends technology relating to Software Development.
Management is very encouraging and always there to assist and guide us in the right direction.
Devon Energy has a very friendly team working environment.
Working with a team with a diverse academic backgrounds and meeting new people during the work course.
paid good, no support
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 9, 2018
paid good, no support, no loyalty to employees. dangerous environment. no recognition for time with company, laid off so buddies could keep their job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Devon Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight