DeVry University Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It's a student position
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 18, 2018
Worked part time as a student while going to DeVry, the work environment is very welcoming and the bosses are very relaxed as long as the job is done.
Workplace
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 18, 2018
Unqualified management, unethical employment practices, abuse of Government Financial Aid, lack of proper training for new employees, lack of regard for students
Great people to work with
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 18, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of coming in and making sure that the interview rooms were clean and ready to be use. I learned about how to order transcripts and how to scan and transfer information to make sure it was attached to the correct student. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and meeting new potential students. The hardest part was when I had to leave.
It was a okay place to work
Academic Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colton, CAJune 13, 2018
Enjoyed the student event I participated in and the and the staff I worked with . I learned quite a bit and gained experience. I wish the job was had a better status.
Stressful
Manager of Military Affairs (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 12, 2018
Everyday was a struggle. With it being a For-Profit University, job security is based of off new student enrollment. DeVry University does offer a great employee tuition incentive.
Great for first time Electronic students
Help Desk / Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2018
IT technicians take report of which electronics equipment are in stock and which are checked out within the campus. Technicians proceeds to perform maintenance checks and software updates on campus desktops. Attended to technical support tickets from students and faculty immediately.
Pros
Entry level training
Cons
No benefits/ Management
Visiting Professor I (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 10, 2018
Teach online and in class chemistry and organic chemistry
Laboratory equipment was inadequate
Online laboratory software was not sufficient to teach the required curriculum
Great support but poor salary
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
only temporary.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 6, 2018
Worked as adjunct. and the job was temporary. the company closed before I could get a good sense of the business. I would not like to down play the fact that they were unorganized.
Good people with poor upper management and leadership.
Professor (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 5, 2018
I loved my job but the leadership failed to see what was important about education. So many people did such great work for so many years. It's is sad we are not still working there being led by competent managers and visionaries.
Great people when I was there
Faculty Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 3, 2018
The Faculty Assistant program was well run and I enjoyed the challenge of some parts of the job--figuring out why someone's lab project did not work as it should have and then direct them to figure it out for themselves with some minor guidance and clues.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
Pay was not much, but I understand why.
Expectation not met
Visiting Professor Computer Information Systems (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 2, 2018
Believed in attention to the students more than financial, need to provide students with real-world experience to enable them achieve greater successes.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
insecurity
summary
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 31, 2018
at the time i was their Pam Daily the president was very abusive and knew how to get away with things. HR supported her discrimination and looked the other way when issues came up.
Pros
Cons
culture and management are terrible - perform or you are out with no support
Good Boss, Weird Corporate Decisions
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 28, 2018
All management and student employees at DeVry were wonderful honest hard workers. My boss was a real gem who did everything he could to help me do my job well, and all of us were working under insane conditions at one point. Corporate decisions had the electronics lab moving ot the second floor. A bunch of us had to deal with actually moving the lab, but the process was organized and managed well by an understanding boss.
Pros
everyone on campus is there to work
Cons
corporate is a three ring circus
Very high focus on passing students
University Professor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 25, 2018
Most students are below average academic quality. Many work hard and gained knowledge. Too many in it for the piece of paper and did minimum effort. Very little feedback for adjunct professors not tied to one of DeVry's campuses.
Pros
Flexibility of online teaching, good pay
Cons
Minimal feedback on your efforts, Extreme mgmt focus on number of students passed with regard for their effort or academic progress
Ok
Full-time Professor (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMay 25, 2018
Management could have been better. I did not expect to get let go from DeVry after 18 years, that taught me that companies are not loyal anymore and it's hard to be loyal as well because of situations like this.
A lot of responsibility with little pay
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2018
This Job was a stepping stone. As a business professional, I have to be brutally honest. I feel there was a lot of meetings on pumping the advisers up to meet unrealistic and unattainable monthly quotas. Ridiculous promises of extremely high commissions and annual sales were made. This job was a complete scam and the management was extremely manipulative. I would also like to add I am a extremely positive, outgoing and likable person!
Pros
Stepping Stone
Cons
a lot of work with little pay
Eh.
Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 22, 2018
Just not something that i want to do. You have no managers while you are training and you feel very underprepared. It makes me think that they do not really care.
Na
Senior Admissions Representative (Inbound) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 20, 2018
Overall a decent experience; there were some difficult moments, which had more to do with certain managers than the job itself. Thoroughly enjoyed managing and helping to train develop team to succeed and accomplish career goals. Also enjoyed helping prospective students begin their own educational goals..
Pros
Helping develop my team
Cons
Some managers were extremely immature and incompetent
Great Culture No job security
Operations Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILMay 13, 2018
Loved my time at DeVry because the culture and my co-workers were awesome. I learned a lot from my position however there was no job security and you had to fear lay off every year.
ok
Student Success Coach (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 12, 2018
Working at a private university has great benefits, but in a small center you wear many hats, Lots of pressure for sales and numbers. It lost the meaning of offering great courses and it became all about student retention and meeting numbers,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DeVry University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight