DeVry University Employee Reviews

Found 1,044 reviews matching the search See all 1,058 reviews
Great place to work as long as the layoffs end
Professor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 6, 2018
I've been working for DeVry for many years. Things have gotten a lot better since the break from Adtalem. The vibe on campus has improved immensely. Everyone I know is happy working there. The only worry at this point is that layoffs will return. We had a long, nasty string of layoffs and for at least a couple of years, everyone was very fearful for their jobs. Things seem much better now though. As far as I know, the company is making money and enrollment is improving. Except for one brief tenure under an oppressive manager, I've always been treated with a great deal of respect and as far as I know, others are too. It's a good place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Job insecurity
Excited for the future
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 6, 2018
I am proud to work at DeVry University! We have a great group of leaders in place who genuinely care for colleagues and students. Colleagues are motivated and happy to be here and excited for the new DeVry!
CPA Review Instructor
Becker CPA Review Course Instructor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 5, 2018
The pay was not worth the time, but I used the class as CPE for my CPA license.

UNO was not prepared to open the class rooms on several Saturdays and the projector needed a new bulb for several sessions.
Pros
Freedom to set schedule
Cons
Pay insufficient
i was an office clerk
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 29, 2018
it was a good start up job learned how to use Microsoft office exceptionally well. it was good when i didn't have to travel far because i was attending school there.
Pros
not wasting money on gas
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 28, 2018
This job taught me a lot. Here I learned to do data entry, file documents, work with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook. I enjoyed working with the deans and others. One of my coolest job to start out with.
started real nice
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colton, CANovember 27, 2018
i learned quickly. the people were so great and got along well..at first. i enjoyed going to work and was happy. new management came in and suddenly everyone was taking sides. people were getting cut and suddenly people were talking behind backs and it became so stressful. its a for profit company so manipulation happens
Pros
pay, flexible hours, people
Cons
management
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2018
Working at DeVry gave me the opportunity to learn how to advance in my future career. The employees were easy to work with, as well as understanding especially when there are family emergencies.
Pros
laid back environment
Cons
no cons
Great job
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2018
The job was great. The management was great as well. Bery lay back. The employees was great too. Everybody got along great. I had this job till i was done.
Pros
Great
Cons
N/a
fun while helping others
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CANovember 4, 2018
working at Devry university was great. helping other student to understand material was making me feel happy. fun work and relax work place. you have to take turns to great students and place them with the right tutor.
Very relaxing and loving environment.
Full-time Professor (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GANovember 3, 2018
I really loved working at DeVry, the workplace culture was very inviting and you learned a lot. The most enjoyable part of my job was being in the classroom and sharing my knowledge with my students.
Pros
Team playing group of people.
Cons
having to go to different locations that was far out.
Changing culture
Specialist III, Registrar Services (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 31, 2018
Was a great place to work before the sale, now positions have been slashed and those remaining are required to learn to do more with little time given for training or learning. Management has very set answers when you ask them about the sale and what will be coming, I doubt the school will last much longer.
Pros
lots of PTO
Cons
School is in transition and no guarantee it won't close.
Great if you like education
Academic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAOctober 31, 2018
Its a great place to work if you like working with educators. There are not many benefits to working unless you are a professor. Overall management does a decent job of running the school.
I enjoy working as an online instructor for DeVry
Classroom and Online General Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CO 80234October 29, 2018
I enjoy working as an online instructor for DeVry. As an adjunct or visiting professor it is a little hair raising to not know if I will get a class each term. I usually do, however, and enjoy the way my courses are designed and my students. We work in the Canvas platform.
Pros
Like the learning platform and the students.
Cons
Uncertain about whether or not I will be given a course each term.
Unorganized
Specialist I-II-III (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 28, 2018
Hard to advance. Insufficient training and demand for overtime too often. Low morale among employees.
Management is not open to changes suggestions from employees.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Opportunity for overtime
Outstanding Training and Teaching Opportunities--Little Pay with Zero Advancement Opportunity
English Instructor (Former Employee) –  OnlineOctober 21, 2018

I taught for DeVry for 11 years and was fired after one student complaint (after actually reporting a compliance issue to my new faculty manager).
Once A Good Trade School, Now A Subpar Diploma Factory
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Northeast GroupOctober 19, 2018
I worked at DVU for about two decades as a faculty member. When I first started, the place was a good alternative path, training technicians--15 week classes, twice a week onsite for 3 hours. There was an actual faculty meeting where faculty input was used to shape the future of the place. Then someone got the bright idea of standardizing all the course content, shifting to 8-week classes, and calling the place a "university". While other schools have followed this model, DVU's students were often not equipped to handle an accelerated curriculum (non-existent admissions criteria made that possible), so the quality of the course content was diminished to the point where it is no longer possible to take it seriously as college-level content.

I had great colleagues at one point, until the massive layoffs of the last few years following the FTC settlement and other settlements. DVU was once considered a "good player in a bad sector", but that is no longer the case, so I packed my bags and left. Benefit costs were increased every year, and there were always quiet layoffs and consolidations. Management was once local and in tune with quality outcomes (ca. 2005), but the profit-motive set in and the good folks were replaced with more profitable ones. Group mergers lead to outright favoritism in promotions and retention, but worst of all, faculty were treated like hourly workers in customer service--told to make your numbers or else. Students hated taking online classes and took it out on the faculty through evaluations, which is all the administration cared about. I did
  more... the best that I could for the students that I had, and pushed them beyond the boundaries of what was required, but since enrollment drops, the place has gone mainly online--the actual campus is a ghost town. I fear that there is not much of a future, given the uncertainty surrounding the current ownership transfer--the parent company Adtalem is throwing away DVU to a venture capitalist and no one is clear about the status of what's going on. Everyone I know who still works there is trying desperately to find a new position.

I absolutely do not recommend considering a position with this organization.
Pros
Student Interaction Onsite, Colleagues, Free Tuition
Cons
Draconian and Indecisive Management, Teaching As Customer Service, Subpar Course Content
Great place to learn and work
User administration (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILOctober 17, 2018
Enjoyed working here but was boring at times. this is due to the job being so easy. Some slow periods made for longer days. The chance to learn while working ( class) was awesome.
Pros
easy job
Profit focused
Director of New Student Enrollment Services (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2018
The company is more concerned with the bottom line than the future of the students. As long as you meet the numbers set for you, you will succeed - miss them once and you may not have a job. No real concern for the financial security of the students as long as the numbers are met
Low Enrollment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILOctober 1, 2018
Due to low enrollment, a number of really amazing colleagues were let go. There were layoffs a few times each year which made company morale very low.
Great work place
Full-time Professor (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GASeptember 29, 2018
I really enjoyed the people I worked with, a typical day at work for me was very enjoyable and relaxing because I was doing what I was born to do. I would get to work write my agenda on the board, when the students came in I made learning fun and interactive. I always lectured in a way that all learning styles were used.
Pros
You worked the hours you wanted
Cons
unstable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DeVry University. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

2.7Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss