DeVry University Employee Reviews

Found 1,027 reviews matching the search See all 1,040 reviews
Profit focused
Director of New Student Enrollment Services (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2018
The company is more concerned with the bottom line than the future of the students. As long as you meet the numbers set for you, you will succeed - miss them once and you may not have a job. No real concern for the financial security of the students as long as the numbers are met
Low Enrollment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILOctober 1, 2018
Due to low enrollment, a number of really amazing colleagues were let go. There were layoffs a few times each year which made company morale very low.
Great work place
Full-time Professor (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GASeptember 29, 2018
I really enjoyed the people I worked with, a typical day at work for me was very enjoyable and relaxing because I was doing what I was born to do. I would get to work write my agenda on the board, when the students came in I made learning fun and interactive. I always lectured in a way that all learning styles were used.
Pros
You worked the hours you wanted
Cons
unstable
Just pass.
Student Success Coach, I (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WISeptember 25, 2018
The worst company I've ever worked for, at least at the location I was at. Managers were so horrible that there was an 88% turnover rate in less than a year.
Good if you don't care about outcomes or quality
Student Advisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 22, 2018
I will say most collegues are great and interdepartmental cooperation is good but unfortunately, the business model only remains alive due to freely given, consequence free (i.e. for the school) student loans/VA benefits and throwing the book out when it comes to holding students accountable for doing the coursework.

There is a reason the for profit sector gets black eye in the media. To improve their image, they have asked students and staff (mostly student workers and staff assistants) to write good reviews on sites such as this one. Though they have good intentions and some good programs on paper, they keep dumbing down the classes to keep students enrolled, while relying on government aid and are happy not to be held accountable for low repayment rates and say yes to every student request. They hang a damocles over the head of professors who do not pass their students and keep students enrolled who should not be by rubber stamping them through. If none of that bothers you, then have at it.
Pros
You can actually help about 20% of the student population benefit
Cons
Questionable Enrollment and lack of common sense on loans
Productive workplace
Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2018
Create, coordinate, and maintain calendars, documents, records, and correspondence in the database.
Communicate and collaborate with director, co-workers, and students through answering phones, taking/receiving messages, or transferring calls.
Use computers for various applications, such as database management or word processing
Great team
Network/ Computer IT/ Admin (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 19, 2018
It was a work study job doing IT and class tutoring. After graduating, I was not able to work for pay any more but I continued to assist as a contractor.
Pros
Exciting every day
Cons
Had to quit after graduation.
Great people great company
Student Information Technology Worker (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 19, 2018
I started School at DeVry University long before I worked there so I knew how things were when a opening came up. I have loved working there due to many factors. We are all about the student and the people, everything revolves around the end user pertaining to experience and usability. Its a great company and can be closely related to a family, even people you don't know will treat you great as you are one big family.
Pros
Great people, networking opportunities and flexible school schedule.
Cons
Not many
DeVry was a great place for learning.
Faculty Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2018
I enjoyed working at DeVry as a faculty assistant. I enjoyed working in the classroom and labs with students and professors. I learned how to work with all types of people.
Pros
Fun work activiites
Cons
High work expectations.
Solid Company
Metro President (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CASeptember 16, 2018
I worked for DeVry for nearly 13 years. Changes in higher education and for-profit universities had many negative effects on all for-profit schools, including DeVry. I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure while working in several locations and positions with DeVry. They strive to do the right thing helping students achieve their educational and career goals. I was vey happy working at DeVry, and was sorry that the changes in higher education affected DeVry and my tenure there.
Pros
Excellent Leadership, good career opportunities.
Cons
Difficult work life balance in leadership positions.
Mixed Feelings
Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 15, 2018
My direct superior and his boss, IT lead were great as were many coworkers. The company, as a whole, however has some serious issues to great to cover
Productive & fun place to work at
Marketing Coordinator & QA specialist (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILSeptember 12, 2018
Got the opportunity to learn and implement Adobe CQ AEM software on the job
Amiable working environment
Open communication with the supervisor
Provides a great learning platform
Pros
Free lunches
Very experienced and knowledgeable staff
Computer Engineering Technology Student (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILSeptember 8, 2018
I was just a student at DeVry, but the work that I did there introduced me to many different aspects to engineering that I enjoyed greatly, and the professors there brought real world experience and lessons into the classroom.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Bad middle management
Great learning experience
High School Programs Representative (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJAugust 21, 2018
my initial experience away from college and internships, learned alot, met alot of great people. met with many educators that were inspiring. It was rewarding to help high school students figure out their future/
Great Staff and Co-workers
Employer Liaison (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 20, 2018
Unfortunately, with the decline of applicants at DeVry, there are currently not a lot of job opportunities. I worked in Career Services- had an excellent and supportive manager, excellent co-workers. Great communication in the department and felt always supported and up to date with needs and requirements.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Downsizing
A joyful and Educational Experience
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAAugust 14, 2018
A normal day at DeVry University is mostly testing new students that will be enrolling. I was able to work closely with management which helped me learn a lot about the business side of things. There was actually not a hard part about doing that job. It was really a comfortable place to come into each day and the hours were flexible. That also made it easier for me to attend my classes as well.
Pros
Flexible hours, Learning enviroment
Cons
n/a
An Institute where the Employment depended on Enrollment of Students
Visiting Faculty (Former Employee) –  North Brunswick, NJAugust 12, 2018
Theory Class followed by Laboratory Instructions.
To Master my Biomedical Engineering and Teach Others.
Management was Excellent
Work Place Culture was very respectful
To Fail a Student after all my efforts to coach him failed.
When I Carried a Good Class and When I was Quoted as the Best Teacher by a Graduating Student.
Pros
Occassional Parties
Cons
Main Location and Satellite location to be covered.
Routine
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 9, 2018
I never felt excited about this workplace. The director had been the only bright light in the office. She worked hard to motivate and grow the staff professionally, but though she is armed with many skills, any of the team members were more concerned with everything outside of the office. A never ending uphill battle.
Pros
Creative and driven leader
Cons
working with individuals that just did not care, self-serving.
good company; excellent manager
Student Accounts Office Assistant (PT) (Former Employee) –  North Brunswick, NJAugust 9, 2018
Collaborative environment and good company to work for.
Good benefits both for health and educational.
Great manager.
This was temporary position but I enjoyed working there
Student Faculty Asst good job while being a student
Faculty Assistant (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILAugust 8, 2018
It was a great job while being a student. Great kids to be around, advising students that wanted and needed help. The manager was fair and great to work for.
Pros
learning up close with professor and having a professor as a
Cons
the pay was not that great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DeVry University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight