Dewberry Employee Reviews

n/a
n/a (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 23, 2019
It was a good place to work. The days were very busy from start to finish. Mostly all of the people were pleasant to work. The surrounding area was scenic, and fairly decent restaurants. The commute was long.
Cons
Commute
Contract position
Document Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 8, 2019
Great contract job. Loves it here. Wish I could have stayed. Ideal job. The office was clean, the people from top level to engineer were so nice. Best place I have ever worked by far
Pros
Lunch, great work environment
Cons
None!
Structural Engineering Department
Structural Graduate Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 15, 2019
Work could vary from day to day. The last few days, a new construction project was being worked on. Was mostly working in Tekla Structural Designer and running analysis.
Positives would be that you see alot of the country,
Site Inspector (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 13, 2019
I was a FEMA Site Inspector. My responsibilities were to go to damaged sites and verify the damages as specified in a report. I would interview the applicant and provide any information that would enhance his chances on getting government funding.

I would provided sketches and takes photos of the damages with would be used in my damage report. This report would be reviewed by a project manager and then forwarded to a government facility for pricing.

I will be going back to Florida with a different contracting company with almost 30% more hours.
Pros
Meet a lot of different people.
Cons
Away from home for months at a time with a few days break every 45 days.
Productive and fun workplace.
Senior/ Chief Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, NJFebruary 1, 2019
Productive, fun workplace with great relationship with management to enhance my background and expertise in High Construction inspection in the field of Transportation Civil Engineering Technology, and more importantly maintain Dewberry's clients most satisfied.
Pros
Talent Center to maintain and upgrade knowledge and certifications.
Cons
Slower paste of construction activities on paving projects during winter months.
Enjoyed working for Dewberry
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mt. Laurel, NJJanuary 7, 2019
Overall, my time spent with Dewberry was very enjoyable. A typical work day for me was always fast paced, and always deadlines to meet. I definitely learned how to manage my time wisely due to the demands on deadlines. Most of all, I love the resources that was always available to us, as we all worked as team from all locations.
Cons
no year-end bonus.
Great First Job
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 15, 2018
Great learning experience and exposure to projects. Challenging and collaborative work. Confusing path to advance. What the employer lacks in benefits, makes up for in career experience.
Pros
wide project variety, collaborative
benefits
Project Arborist & Staff Landscape Architect (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 14, 2018
A nice place to work. In 2018 they offer 52K, it is worth trying to get more. The annual increase is about three percent (3%). Your job experience is based on the quality of you supervisor.
Very enjoyable company to work for
Senior Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 29, 2018
I have been working for Dewberry for 20 years.the company gives me lots of hope and confident.As a seniority for the company I do not worry about the company as they take good care of the employees
Pros
Half an hour lunch
Cons
construction n company benefits .Flexible hour
Great Company
Architectural Intern (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 16, 2018
As an architectural intern I developed architectural drawings and analyzed code compliance of each project. I learned a lot from a very experienced staff who were friendly. The hours were fine but there were the days that required long hours to meet deadlines.
Pros
Free Lunches and a lot of experienced architects to learn from
Great Workers
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDSeptember 15, 2018
Poor Management. Great Company but poor management. I worked around great guys out in the field. Management did a poor job with hiring Instrument operators and Rodmens.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No life
Dewberry is a large national corporation that focuses heavily on the engineering aspects of the company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2018
The architecture branch of this corporation does not see the same support as the engineering and surveying branches. The architectural projects are devoid of soul and allure. Working for Dewberry Architects is more of a short-term stepping stone than a long-term career move.
Dewberry is a great company
Site Civil Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLAugust 11, 2018
I enjoyed working for Dewberry. The culture is very relaxed, yet hard working. I learned a lot of technical information as well as client relations, and management skills.
Interesting work
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 4, 2018
Always busy working on a deadline. The work was challenging and fulfilling. The was always opportunity for advancement. Got to work with interesting, highly intelligent people. We pulled off some amazing feats!
Pros
Professional
Cons
Sometimes too much work to get done
Top 50 Firm, Below Average Pay
SITE CIVIL ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 4, 2018
They get away with the fact they are a big name in the market and use it as an excuse to pay the employees below average wages. This leads to the high turnover rate within the middle management employees.
Great company with several branch offices
Drafter/Cad Technician and Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 21, 2018
Dewberry offer a variety of work and the ability to travel with team members to go where the work takes you. Lots of company events bring the staff together and create an excellent work environment.
A decent, middle-of-the-road company with good intents
Senior Proposal Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 24, 2018
Dewberry is a decent company struggling with balance. Balance between very risk-averse ownership and more progressive, growth-oriented leadership from the c-suite. Balancing attracting and retaining talented professionals with a middle-of-the-road approach to most things (salaries, vacation, markets pursued, strategies, tactics). Balancing keeping salaries in the middle-band with retaining the rising mid-level technical staff -- the company lacks those in the 5-10 year experience range because more aggressive, progressive companies attract some of the company's best rising talents away. This is a good, decent company with real, earnest values - and they are struggling as they grow and acquire talent and companies to attain that growth. I hope they work to resolve their internal needs for improved growth-structure, care and well-being of their employees as professionals and people.
Pros
They believe in their norms and values (passion, integrity...); they aren't just fashion statements. Decent, earnest professionals work here; they often become real, non-work friends!
Cons
Lack of formal growth and progression steps for non-billable employees
Exceptional place to work in any technical or administrative role.
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 8, 2018
Exceptional place to work in any technical or administrative role. Management will advance employees who demonstrate a willingness to excel in their chosen field.
Pros
Cons
Advancement may be limited by geographical location requiring relocation.
A place to grow
Senior Geographer/Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 8, 2018
In my time at Dewberry, I grew from a Cartographer to Quality Assurance Analyst while learning the many aspects of environmental engineering, flood insurance mapping and program management. I worked closely with engineers, hydrographers, CADD and digital drafting technicians to produce quality products for FEMA. In addition, I worked closely with my immediate supervisor to develope and institute guidelines specifications that helped streamline the mapping production process.
The hardest part of my job would have been getting the project managers to understand the time requirements of the quality review process; our times were often shortened to provide times in the other parts of the production process.
The overall work culture was pleasant, wth coworkers willing to help you understand their jobs/tasks and how each affected the other parts of the process. Therefore, the hardest part of my job was having to say goodbye to my coworkers as they left and saying goodbye at the time I left.
Pros
Great benefits, helpful administration staff, annual picnics and social events.
Cons
None, really.
Decent Place to work
Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2018
Not a bad place to work. typical engineering firm. mid-size firm looking to expand. wish they did a better job from promoting within. lots of people get licensed and leave for a 10,000 raise. wish we would retain those people