Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries Employee Reviews

Poor administration
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lewistown, PAJanuary 5, 2019
Administration does not listen to employee, resident or family concerns. Many excuses. Administrator needs to be replaced. Expects salaried nurses to work more hours than they are being paid for.
Pros
Good time off
Cons
No lunch breaks. Expected to put work over family.
Poor Management
Social Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewistown, PADecember 27, 2018
There was NO training. NO leadership. Experienced higher level management talking badly about employees and residents of nursing home. Nursing home was dirty. Staff were treated very unfairly. Would NEVER recommend this location
Pros
Local
Cons
Leadership was awful. NO training. Laziness of management.
Fair and great work environment
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lewisburg, PADecember 27, 2018
I enjoyed working at Diakon. I could not keep
Up with my full time job , school, and working there prn. I worked as a PRN charge nurse. The staff and work environment is very eSsnt
good place good people that care for one another
Maintenance Worker part time (Former Employee) –  Frostburg, MDDecember 21, 2018
good company, good co-workers. enjoyed working there. saying grace for the meals, helping the people who live there, was rewarding, and giving a message, at the socials. made a lot of friends there
A very nice place to work.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PANovember 26, 2018
Loved being able to work at a place where you were helping people to create a better life for themselves as they go older. I had great leadership and was giving high level reports to complete.
bad management
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pottstown, PANovember 10, 2018
nursing staff is very sweet and hard working but they are always short. meals are not served on time. management does not listen to the concerns and safety of the cnas and residents. the dining room is closed sometimes due to low staff. Supervisor are barely found or seemed annoyed when you do come across them. everyone seem exhausted and in a rush.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Terrible place to work: Even more terrible to have to live there
Residential Aide/Med Tech (Current Employee) –  19800 Tranquility CircleJuly 31, 2018
Under staffed, under payed. Management does not assist in any work when short staffed. Nurses (some) believe they are to good to assist with the care of the elderly and if they have no choice they then are rude and nasty because they actually have to do some work. The whole building is infested with bed bugs, and the poor families are clueless. This building should not even be open in my opinion.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Poor
Medication Technician/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Holland, PAJuly 25, 2018
Management was horrible, replacement scheduler was horrible, administration didn't know how to talk to staff, short staffed, mes techs had to do personal care along with med pass. Just very unprofessional atmosphere!!!
Pros
Working in suburbs
Cons
Worked like a slave!!!
Lpn
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Topton, PA 19562July 5, 2018
A typical day consist of understaffing, no breaks, no relief from management, staff does not show up to relieve you on time, no one works together, most of the nurses are older and crabby, the manager team are a bunch of RN who are mean to LPN's
Pros
pay
Cons
staffing
Great learning experience
Treasury Department Internship (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PA 17057June 19, 2018
Overall, great people to work with and kept me very busy throughout the summer. Supportive employees who care about your success. Laid back environment.

Want to know more about Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries?

Ask a question
Diakon has difficulty
former management employee (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAMay 11, 2018
Daikon, had financial difficulty , needed to cut everyone's full time hours. Moral difficult. Didn't spend the time getting the right players in to move the company and mission forward. They concentrated on their adoption and fostering program instead of seniors.
Pros
addoption and foster program
Cons
Moral amoung employees is down
n/a
Dir. of Clinical Serv. and Staff Devel. (Current Employee) –  Middletown, PAMay 6, 2018
Leadership is supportive to all levels of staff. Salary's are competitive. Benefits are very good. PTO accrual is above average. Wonderful place to work.
Worst Place
Certified Nurse Aide (Current Employee) –  Topton, PAApril 25, 2018
I been at Diakon for almost two years in the beginning I loved working their and fell in love with the place but all that changed through time. As people where promoted management became in failing to meet their standards for their own employees. It even has become to the point where racist and discrimination plays a deep factor into it. Now instead of me being proud Iam embarrass to even be an employee their that I am leaving their company. No one has the right to be discriminated.
Dictatorship
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAApril 16, 2018
Management changed and became a dictatorship. If you go against them and advocate for residents they ignore you or push you out of the facility. Team work has gone out the window. Upper management doesn't seem to care about issues pertaining to the units either.
Management believes that aggression and insensitive treatments is the way to go instead of showing apprecation and respect to staff.
MT (Former Employee) –  RobinwoodMarch 25, 2018
I must say that there are a couple good personels at this company but the bad ones do out the good ones.a specific facility do carry a very bad reputation and staff continues to quit which is not very good for the residents.too much changes affects their well-being.
Pros
Getting rid of the star program would cause less pressure on all workers.
Cons
Carefully monitor supervisors and review and assessed their plans and solution on a regular basics.
Not recommended
GNA (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMarch 8, 2018
I would not recommend working for this company. There are a few very good care takers/ GNAs on staff who genuinely care about the residents who never seem to be offered promotions or praise. While there are a few unscrupulous workers who are not respectful to residents and yet the management continues to keep them on staff and offers them more hours/promotion over other caretakers. That fact made it very difficult for me working there. Favoritism is very evident. The health benefits they offer are very costly with a large amount of out of pocket costs for employees. The health benefits are not worth the cost of coverage that you receive.
The facility is very clean. The residents are mostly happy living there and are for the most part content. The major complaint I received from them is with the high turnover of employees and the lack of stable staffing.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Promise advancement but do not deliver, unfair to good employees, benefits, management
Med Tech
Medication Technician (Former Employee) –  Topton, PAFebruary 5, 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed working with the residents. The new PC administrator was not pleasant to work with. She was out, for health reasons, her first month of employment. Her first week back we had a staff meeting at which she made the statement that she had been out but was back and was back with a vengeance. Her favorite statement is " or there will be disciplinary action"...
Bed Bugs
Med Tech/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Pottstown, PAJanuary 27, 2018
If you’re desperate for work and hours I would recommend, but if you care more about your mental health I wouldn’t even walk on the premesis. Not only do they treat employees as a number unless you’re a favorite, but they treat the residents like trash. Their managers are extremely emotional and lash out, never appreciate anything and the more you do the more is expected without gratitude. Housekeeping never cleans anything. There have been times where loved ones have had to be cleaned with pillowcases or not cleaned at all for lack of linen, bathroom floors are black with dirt and clothing is lost on a regular day to day basis. There is no confidentiality towards anything and managers enjoy the drama and spread around rumors as to cause more issues. If you take the managers, LPN’s, filthy environment out of the equation it’s a nice place.
P.S. the reoccurring bed bug issue is always a fan favorite when they treat the issue with heat a few weeks later yet ALWAYS have the reoccurring issue of bed bug infestation.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bed bugs, managers, filthy environment
Official response from Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries
March 2, 2018

This comment is deeply concerning to us as it does not accurately portray the culture of our community. Ensuring a clean environment and protecting the privacy of our staff and residents are top priorities at Manatawny Manor. Our Executive Director, Michael Christian, is available anytime to discuss this in more detail. If you would like to schedule an appointment or tour our facility, please contact us at (610) 705-3700.

Horrible place
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 24, 2017
Impossible expectations with minimal time to complete, minimal pay, horrible management. Always short staffed and therefore unable to properly care for the residents. Unclean facility, residents not cared for. It was very hard to work here. Issues, including health related issues of the residents, are ignored and never addressed. I
good
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 18, 2017
excellent place to work. Great DON who is always listening to staff and treating everybody equal. I will highly recommend this place to work. I am still employed
Pros
wfe
Cons
wdewd

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8