Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work: Even more terrible to have to live there
Residential Aide/Med Tech (Current Employee) –  19800 Tranquility CircleJuly 31, 2018
Under staffed, under payed. Management does not assist in any work when short staffed. Nurses (some) believe they are to good to assist with the care of the elderly and if they have no choice they then are rude and nasty because they actually have to do some work. The whole building is infested with bed bugs, and the poor families are clueless. This building should not even be open in my opinion.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Poor
Medication Technician/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Holland, PAJuly 25, 2018
Management was horrible, replacement scheduler was horrible, administration didn't know how to talk to staff, short staffed, mes techs had to do personal care along with med pass. Just very unprofessional atmosphere!!!
Pros
Working in suburbs
Cons
Worked like a slave!!!
Lpn
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Topton, PA 19562July 5, 2018
A typical day consist of understaffing, no breaks, no relief from management, staff does not show up to relieve you on time, no one works together, most of the nurses are older and crabby, the manager team are a bunch of RN who are mean to LPN's
Pros
pay
Cons
staffing
Great learning experience
Treasury Department Internship (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PA 17057June 19, 2018
Overall, great people to work with and kept me very busy throughout the summer. Supportive employees who care about your success. Laid back environment.
n/a
Dir. of Clinical Serv. and Staff Devel. (Current Employee) –  Middletown, PAMay 6, 2018
Leadership is supportive to all levels of staff. Salary's are competitive. Benefits are very good. PTO accrual is above average. Wonderful place to work.
Worst Place
Certified Nurse Aide (Current Employee) –  Topton, PAApril 25, 2018
I been at Diakon for almost two years in the beginning I loved working their and fell in love with the place but all that changed through time. As people where promoted management became in failing to meet their standards for their own employees. It even has become to the point where racist and discrimination plays a deep factor into it. Now instead of me being proud Iam embarrass to even be an employee their that I am leaving their company. No one has the right to be discriminated.
Dictatorship
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAApril 16, 2018
Management changed and became a dictatorship. If you go against them and advocate for residents they ignore you or push you out of the facility. Team work has gone out the window. Upper management doesn't seem to care about issues pertaining to the units either.
Management believes that aggression and insensitive treatments is the way to go instead of showing apprecation and respect to staff.
MT (Former Employee) –  RobinwoodMarch 25, 2018
I must say that there are a couple good personels at this company but the bad ones do out the good ones.a specific facility do carry a very bad reputation and staff continues to quit which is not very good for the residents.too much changes affects their well-being.
Pros
Getting rid of the star program would cause less pressure on all workers.
Cons
Carefully monitor supervisors and review and assessed their plans and solution on a regular basics.
Not recommended
GNA (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMarch 8, 2018
I would not recommend working for this company. There are a few very good care takers/ GNAs on staff who genuinely care about the residents who never seem to be offered promotions or praise. While there are a few unscrupulous workers who are not respectful to residents and yet the management continues to keep them on staff and offers them more hours/promotion over other caretakers. That fact made it very difficult for me working there. Favoritism is very evident. The health benefits they offer are very costly with a large amount of out of pocket costs for employees. The health benefits are not worth the cost of coverage that you receive.
The facility is very clean. The residents are mostly happy living there and are for the most part content. The major complaint I received from them is with the high turnover of employees and the lack of stable staffing.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Promise advancement but do not deliver, unfair to good employees, benefits, management
Med Tech
Medication Technician (Former Employee) –  Topton, PAFebruary 5, 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed working with the residents. The new PC administrator was not pleasant to work with. She was out, for health reasons, her first month of employment. Her first week back we had a staff meeting at which she made the statement that she had been out but was back and was back with a vengeance. Her favorite statement is " or there will be disciplinary action"...
Bed Bugs
Med Tech/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Pottstown, PAJanuary 27, 2018
If you’re desperate for work and hours I would recommend, but if you care more about your mental health I wouldn’t even walk on the premesis. Not only do they treat employees as a number unless you’re a favorite, but they treat the residents like trash. Their managers are extremely emotional and lash out, never appreciate anything and the more you do the more is expected without gratitude. Housekeeping never cleans anything. There have been times where loved ones have had to be cleaned with pillowcases or not cleaned at all for lack of linen, bathroom floors are black with dirt and clothing is lost on a regular day to day basis. There is no confidentiality towards anything and managers enjoy the drama and spread around rumors as to cause more issues. If you take the managers, LPN’s, filthy environment out of the equation it’s a nice place.
P.S. the reoccurring bed bug issue is always a fan favorite when they treat the issue with heat a few weeks later yet ALWAYS have the reoccurring issue of bed bug infestation.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bed bugs, managers, filthy environment
Official response from Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries
March 2, 2018

This comment is deeply concerning to us as it does not accurately portray the culture of our community. Ensuring a clean environment and protecting the privacy of our staff and residents are top priorities at Manatawny Manor. Our Executive Director, Michael Christian, is available anytime to discuss this in more detail. If you would like to schedule an appointment or tour our facility, please contact us at (610) 705-3700.

Horrible place
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 24, 2017
Impossible expectations with minimal time to complete, minimal pay, horrible management. Always short staffed and therefore unable to properly care for the residents. Unclean facility, residents not cared for. It was very hard to work here. Issues, including health related issues of the residents, are ignored and never addressed. I
good
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 18, 2017
excellent place to work. Great DON who is always listening to staff and treating everybody equal. I will highly recommend this place to work. I am still employed
Pros
wfe
Cons
wdewd
Great team work environment to work in
Database and Research Manager (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAOctober 16, 2017
Great team - not micromanaged. everyone on the team knows their job and works well together.

Good benefits are offered.

No 401K. Some leadership do not respect or appreciate the development department.
A horrible company to work for.....
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pottstown, PASeptember 29, 2017
Cut throat management - they will lie to you, throw you under the bus, and stab you in the back.
I worked alone, no support from corporate management, other employees walking aimlessly, no supplies, poor salary, etc.
This organization sucks..
Pros
I'm no longer there.
Cons
Too much to list.
So good I came back to Twining!
Aide (Current Employee) –  Holland, PASeptember 19, 2017
I am a return employee after leaving for personal reasons. I am happy a position was available because I don't want to look anywhere else. The rehab is very busy and I like that. My co workers are a big help most of the time and the don and adon are always around making sure things are getting done. The resident are fun and appreciate my hard work.
Pros
I like coming to work
Cons
Really busy some days
If you do your job well but mgmt doesn't like you, you'll get fired
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewisburg, PAAugust 31, 2017
Nice facility, love the residents. Teamwork is fair. Better than some places.
Be very careful what you document. It could get you fired. The state is watching!
Pros
Clean
Cons
You never know who's got your back and who doesn't
Productive workplace
Biller/Cash Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middletown, PAAugust 10, 2017
The company is a good company to work for, they have good insurance benefits, but the salary could be better. They have flexible scheduling and allow you to start work early in the morning.
fun place to work
Residential Asst. II (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJuly 31, 2017
I truely enjoyed working here, nice place and really enjoyed the residents, i would go work there again . I was inly PT I would of liked FT . A VERY NICE FACILITY
Decent place to work.
Medication Technician/ Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pottstown, PAJuly 20, 2017
I typical day at work is both physically and emotionally demanding. I have learned how to multitask, defuse escalating situations, and understand the effects of dementia both mentally and physically. Management is easy to have a professional relationship with and is concerned with your overall well-being. The hardest part of the job is physically working with dementia residents. The most enjoyable part of the job is making a resident laugh or smile, knowing that at that moment you have made a difference in their life.
Pros
Good health insurance.
Cons
Physically demanding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8