DialogueDirect Employee Reviews

Learn a lot, Not for everyone
Summer Intern Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2018
It's not an easy job if you are not outgoing and personable. That can be learned, but a lot of people dropped within the first few days. You are on your feet all day, and it can be mentally and physically draining. I was lucky to be placed with such an awesome team that most days it was due to them that I continued. Overall I learned a lot about myself and what I am capable of. If you work with great people, the day will go quickly and you will learn a lot from them as well.
Pros
Great people, good compensation if you succeed
Cons
Long days, mentally and physically exhausting
September 13, 2018

We appreciate your feedback and review! Constant learning and team mentality are two of our values, so it is great to hear how much you were able to grow during your internship in New York. We understand that the role can challenge us mentally and physically since we are communicating with people through the day and working to empower others. As it may not be a perfect fit for everyone, we do agree with you that it helps people learn and utilize their potential. All the while gain the rewards of team comradery and good compensation. Thank you again for sharing your takeaways and your great work this summer!

productive working environment
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 4, 2018
DialogueDirect is a fundraising company for charities. So, working there was awesome just because the mission was superb. A typical day consisted of meeting in downtown for a morning meeting, and then going to site's. It is an 8 hour work day so, long hours spent working on your feet. Not everyone can do this job.
Pros
benefits, team nights
Cons
no job security
September 13, 2018

Thank you for the review and your work in the Los Angeles campaign! We're glad that you felt so aligned with mission in helping our charity partners. Our work is very unique and may not be for everyone, so it's important to us that we provide extensive training and team support to help team members find consistent success. We would appreciate any details you can provide on the job security as we are always looking to improve. (cola@dialoguedirect.com) Thank you again for your work and we're pleased that you enjoyed the team nights, benefits, and environment! Best of luck in your next steps!

It's fundraising...
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 10, 2018
And its not easy. The overall culture and style of management was super competitive. The job itself is not as bad as you would think, people are rude and can be brash with you. But you learn a lot about yourself and how to communicate effectively with other people. Some of the managers are better than others, a good experience overall. Additionally if you are good at the job, you will be paid well. Remember the culture and environment is about results and being your best you. The actual purpose of your job and function is not as clear as stated by managers.
Pros
Good skills acquired, paid well (if you're good), kind employees, intense culture
Cons
Intense culture, high turnover, most people rude or mean, fundraising difficult
August 17, 2018

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear that you had a good experience in our San Francisco campaign! We agree, our role is not easy but we do believe it is rewarding as you mentioned. Though we cannot control the actions of general public, we purposefully build our culture to help each team member acquire skills and a mindset to succeed. We appreciate your feedback on the communication of the job function, as we're always looking for ways to improve. We're glad that you were able to learn and grow through the internship and wish you the best of luck in your career!

Great job if you last
Site Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 26, 2018
A super difficult job to get good at, but you build long-lasting relationships with your coworkers and are offered plenty of opportunity for advancement. Definitely an atmosphere of pressuring you to work beyond your obligatory time, though.
Pros
relationships, ability to bonus
Cons
base pay is low, work life balance not encouraged, abuse from strangers
Ok company
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2018
The jobs it fun and you get to meet a lot of cool people. Fun meetings. This is a great summer job and that is it. No job security at all!!!! Long days outside in rain, heat and snow. You have to work non-stop to meet goals. You feel like your being pushed all the time, with no breaks.
Pros
Bonus with donors and employees referrals
Cons
Long days in all types of weather. Standing all day.
Work hard, grow, and succeed
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 13, 2018
It's impossible to describe the life of a face-to-face fundraiser in a few sentences. Suffice to say, working at Dialogue Direct will throw you into a world you never knew existed, and the options are either to grow quickly, advancing your skill set, confidence, and leadership ability in way's you never have before, or simply give up after a few days (which is the turn-over rate).

If you do stay, you're guaranteed to make life long friendships, travel the country, raise hundreds of thousands for non-profit work, and have one of the most rewarding yet humbling experiences of your life.
fun workplace
Dialoguer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 8, 2018
fun crowd of people to work with. such a family envioment. ie in the way everyone there is like a second family. travel oppertunities. good pay and good hours
Pros
good attitudes, good pay. good management.
Cons
outside but thats in the job info. will get negative nancys
Raising money for great charities
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 17, 2018
At first DialogueDirect is a great job, especially for people right out of college. Very young workplace with average age between 20 and 23. Work for great charities and feel like you're making a difference. During my time I raised the equivalent of $100,000/year. After a while however, canvassing loses its appeal. Through constant rejection and having to stand in the weather, the turnover rate is almost impressive. Not for the weak, but if you can stand it, a very rewarding job.
Pros
Ability to quickly grow
Cons
Basically required overtime to hit targets
You meet some great people but thats pretty much it.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2018
Dialogue Direct is a place where you grow as a person. You can tell when people BS you and when people are sincere. I met some of the most amazing people here and some not so amazing. The job is never advertised for what it truly is. IT IS A CANVASSING JOB! Nothing bad of course. If you have never canvassed and are curious, give it a try, you may actually find out you are good at being persuasive and signing people up. There is a quota you have to meet every week after your "training period". Don't worry you will get paid for training. You will work in any condition, (rain, snow, hail, extreme heat) you name it. Even if it rains cats and dogs. This job is not for everyone. If you like working in an environment where its hard to tell the good from the false than this job is for you. Also, you have to learn stuff on your own since not everything is explained. The pay scale is not for everyone.
Pros
Amazing co workers, network with random strangers on the streets
Cons
Low Pay, No job work/ life balance
Pyramid scheme. Stay away
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2018
A thankless, cut-throat job. It's a pyramid scheme. You sign up donors, and everyone above you gets a cut of what you bring in. The coworkers are fun and there is a collegial environment, but if you don't sign up 7 people per week consistently, you'll get fired. Upper management and some team leads have done shady stuff to get signups. Avoid this company at all costs.
August 9, 2018

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear you enjoyed the team atmosphere in our Chicago campaign. Our mission is to connect our charity partners with great donors to foster real and lasting change – so we have standards to ensure we’re supporting that mission and not taking away from it.

Training and support is provided for every individual joining our team to make sure they develop the skillset necessary for such difficult, but rewarding, work. We’re proud and appreciative of our team leaders and reward them for their extensive effort and time helping grow our teams. Investing in our team members and leaders is a cornerstone of the culture to improve every day and continue to be at the forefront of fundraising organizations across the world. If you have specific concerns you would like to follow up on, please contact us at cola@dialoguedirect.com.

Productive but hard to balance outside life
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2017
Do not I repeat do not be fooled by the payout you see here!!!!! Payout is low and everyone tries to prentend it's a great place work but the higher ups are not so great...they stay inside and work while you get paid chump change and hope for commission...so if you like working outside it's for you!! If not beware don't do this job unless it's your last option..and short breaks. Nor do they really care about the charities from their heart they only want the commission. The commission is hard to get because not everyone is willing to pull their card out in the street but some people do it's not impossible but more people will walk away from you. You do have some fun but just think about it and research before you do it!!!
Pros
Possibility for commission and growth
Cons
Short breaks, low pay
interesting place
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2018
This company was very interesting to be a part of. The best thing about it was the new people I met and how much I grew in terms of talking to strangers.
Fantastic Work Environment
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2017
The office culture is amazing. Everyone is always pushing you to do your best and improve consistently for the whole time you're there. Friendly and productive competition kept all employees performing at their best. I learned how much a positive attitude really matters in all the things you do, and that a strong work ethic paired with enthusiasm to learn new things is key to finding success in all aspects of the workplace but also in daily life.
Pros
Free Breakfast, fun Team Nights, Daily Incentives, Medical, Dental insurances, 401K
Cons
Hard to Balance life outside of work
Needs improvement in structure
Canvasser (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 2, 2018
This is basically a sales base job. You do not work for the charity you work for the fundraiser CANVASSING. If you are good at being persuasive then it will be a good job. You have a quota that has to be met every week or you will be let go. However the most successful employees are mainly successful because they work overtime during week. Late nights and Saturdays due to pressure of losing job if quota is not met. They appear to be passionate about the cause but that is mainly due to the pay increase when you get a certain amount of donors. They have a travel incentive for their top fundraisers or at least the ones they like.

In all they are passionate about the cause because the payout can provide for you if you are willing to dedicate 50+ hours a week. I honestly don't know if they realize how much time they devote to meet their quotas. So work life balance is non existent if you want to succeed. Training is pretty sub par especially in the field because the team leads are still required to meet the weekly quotas while training you so they may not be as helpful if they're having a slow week. Which causes them to be overworked. Some team leads were under the influence while at work. VERY HIGH TURNOVER. Your day is standing out in front of high traffic areas around the city. You're responsible for your travel with this company. Other canvassing companies in LA provide transportation to the site locations. This one does not.

Relaxed dress code. If you buy in and indulge your entire self into the job you should be successful. If not they will pretend you
  more... were never there. Some employees are nice but others are very intense. Good short term job at best if you're not deemed a favorite.  less
A fun working environment great experience but at times can be stressful.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2017
It's great but it's not for everyone.There are number goals.The can be stressful if you're doing a wild one week but not keeping a consistent There's added pressure to do Better.It can be hard because while you're working your the face of whatever charity your soliciting for.And say someone doesn't have a good experience a that charity.Some people take it out on you ,And while you out there your the face of the charity so you can't say arnything negative back.And sometimes it's not just one person it's everyone you talk to So It can get to be too much.You need to have thick skin. Otherwise you won't be able to do this job.
Pros
Diverse environment great co-workers Great learning experience
Cons
Can be stressful
Never a dull moment
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 11, 2017
First let me say the office is purple! Such a welcoming environment, everyone wants to help you grow, and the morning meeting make every morning a lot lighter. The job is very upbeat, as long as you make an effort and stay in the box of expectations they are a less strict about quota.
Pros
Upbeat, Fun
Excellent Growth Opportunity
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  United StatesMay 28, 2017
Dialogue Direct provides an excellent opportunity, especially for recent grads to discover their footing and gain real-world experience.

The culture is unparalleled, and the possibilities for advancement are unmatched. For many people, the company will not be a long-term fit, but retention and training are highly valued at DialogueDirect. If you find that it is a good fit, compensation is the highest in the face-to-face fundraising industry, and management will support you in your personal goals.

The work/life balance can be difficult, especially as you advance into leadership roles, or if you struggle with personal production.

I wouldn't trade my time at DialogueDirect or the people I work with for the world.
Pros
Compensation, Culture, Impact
Cons
High demand, good work environment
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 19, 2017
It IS a sales job at the end of the day, and you are expected to sell to people at times when the majority do not want to be sold to; but good energy and a positive attitude will go a long way. Opportunities to advance are present and money can be made bc of their good compensation program. Management in the LA office was great and the office felt like one big group of friends. BUT the job can be stressful and pay is not great if you don't perform.
Job Security
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2017
Job security here is VERY low. A typical work day included a 10 minute team meeting centered around acknowledging accomplishments. The rest of the work day involved standing outside and canvassing for non profit organizations.
Although, the position is based upon your own abilities and efforts, only your numbers mattered at the end of the day.
Management was very unprofessional and there was no sense of team work, and did not respect different cultures and backgrounds.
I also did not receive my last days pay.
Enjoyed being member of a team that raises fund towards alleviating poverty in some of the World's most underserved regions; Great team .
Fund Raiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10016December 9, 2016
The job requires identifying neighborhoods in and around New York for doing a door-to-door campaigns and soliciting for partnership in financial adoption of at least a child in any of the countries that Children International (The International Not-for-Profit organization that Direct Dialogue raises funds for) operates.
Pros
The joy of being a change agent.
Cons
Very low remuneration.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DialogueDirect. Our community is ready to answer.