Diamonds Direct Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Front Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 22, 2019
I worked as a Front Office Associate. Fired without notice as soon as benefits would have kicked in. Told I was doing a “great” job up to that point. One manager would yell at employees for small mistakes and not provide constructive feedback. Everyone who works there (except sales associates) are replaceable and unimportant, and they make it known to you. Paid nowhere near living wage. Promised over 40 hours a week and a month in reduced to under 30.
Pros
Free Saturday lunches
Cons
Work every Saturday. No time off in Nov/Dec. Poor and biased management
Never kept a promise made to me
Jeweler (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 6, 2019
Because I started in the business in 1984 ( a time when yellow gold was king and not much white gold) but changed careers in 2000 I let them know that I had not much experience working with the laser on platinum, I was told I would be trained but never followed thru. I learned to use a torch but in some cases as you know a laser is ideal. I work by the concept in jewelry if someone else can do it I can also. I just needed that training. My work is stuller and I take pride in my finish work and conditioning of jewelry. Never thin out shanks. Or leave a trace I've been working on a piece. Not one scratch.
Pros
free lunches, I miss the people. My friends and I still communicate.
Cons
Extremely demanding and at sometime was told to cut corners to meet time due.
Great Place to work if you are a Positive Thinking Self Starter
Diamond Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCFebruary 11, 2019
Diamonds Direct hires experienced diamond and jewelry sales staff and they expect you to continue to learn and improve in your abilities as a diamond expert. Customer service is the number one priority and the teamwork of the sales and management staff supports that objective. You will be working alongside some of the most experienced and knowledgeable diamond, gemstone, and jewelry designing experts in the industry, so expect to be challenged. This is a fast paced environment where extroverts and self starters excel and slackers don't last long. We work as a team and are only as strong as our weakest member, so expectations run high and we are given whatever we need to successfully provide the best diamond buying experience for our customers. If you are waiting for the clock to tick towards quitting time and always have a complaint on your lips, then just don't apply. But if you love a positive, challenging, engaging, team-driven work environment and you're willing to work independently without being told what to do, then you will get as much as you give and love every minute of working here.
Pros
Great working environment, knowledgeable staff and management, five day work week, closed Sunday, no late night regular hours
Cons
work every Saturday, no vacation in November or Decemeber
Stressful but fun workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 22, 2019
It was a great job just very stressful and high maintenance for a receptionist position. Every mistake fell back on the receptionist even when we were not the ones even handling an issue.
Great family atmosphere
Diamond Expert (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioJanuary 17, 2019
This is really a company that you can grow with and become part of a family. They are so positive and work hard. Great commission structure too. They have a great relationship with all parties they work with in the industry.
Pros
family atmosphere, group outings, great customer service
Cons
You need to work hard and some people don't have the right attitude for that
Fast paced, energetic work environment
Gemologist / Sales (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 27, 2018
Handled appointments with clients, advised them on the perfect jewelry selection. Learned about diamond buying and selling. Fun workplace culture. The most difficult part was the many hours in a day worked. Loved making peoples jewelry dream come true!
Sales Rep + Diamond Expert (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 23, 2018
Very little work/life balance - great energy in the store, good teamwork. The staff all get along well and the entire model is focused on the customer.
Fun
Sales Executive/Diamond Expert (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 30, 2018
High energy, competitive, catered Saturday lunches, family atmosphere, fast paced, amazing selection, benefits, health, vision, dental, 401 k.
Pros
Closed Sunday's
Cons
Exhausting
Hard work, long hours
Repair and Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 18, 2018
You work hard with a good group of people. Long hours, but typical for retail. Everyone else is working just as long. Corporate mentality has changed.
Diamonds Direct is a good company.
Coordinator, Executive Assistant & Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 7, 2017
Each day is never the same. I wear a lot of hats at that job, so I am constantly doing new things. I sell everyday, I help with customers every day, sometimes i will plan trips for managers, fix consultations with customers, run errands every day for managers/executives.

I have learned more and more about sales, new techniques, presentation, communications, multi-tasking, etc.

Work place culture, is decent. It has its moments when its a happy place to be.

Hardest part of the job is the hours. Giving up practically every Saturday of the year is very hard. Also the pressure, sometimes the managers are so pressuring rather than being uplifting.

Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with new customers everyday. There are always new people coming to the store. A great feeling though is when you have a returning customer that wants to see you, and you only.
Pros
Free lunches on saturdays only, because we are not given breaks on saturdays.
Cons
Working every saturday each year except 4 (You get 4 saturdays off)
The rhino way
Employee (Current Employee) –  Mountain Brook, ALJanuary 26, 2017
Workplace Culture- Rhinos are ambitious, dedicated creatures that never give up and don't let anything stand in their way. Rhinos don't wait to accomplish something, they hit it head on. This doesn't mean that rhinos work alone. Teamwork is very important to us. But a rhino knows when to ask for help, or when to jump in to help someone else to get the job done. Rhinos are resourceful.
Pros
Cons
No lunch break given on regular basis
Amazing place to work lunch paid for for all employees everyday
Head Closer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 2, 2016
This is an amazing place to work. I have never worked at a place that cared so much about their employees. We had a break room that was stocked to the max with snacks ,lunch, and Diner. All we had to do is take care of the clients and sell. I learned that their is always a way in to close a sale. My co-workers where amazing all worked together as a team. The hardest part of my job was turning down young couples in love that wanted an engagement ring but had no credit for you have to have amazing credit to get credit there. The most enjoyable part is seeing the clients eyes light up after getting engaged.
Pros
team work
Cons
6 days as week open to close
great atmosphere, very busy and fast paced
Diamond Expert (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 6, 2016
Excellent work environment and great training. Benefits are good.
Hours are somewhat long. Not much flexibility 8:45 am - closing, sometimes till 8:45 pm.
Very few breaks throughout the day.
Pros
bring lunch in on Saturday, busiest day of week, no time for lunch hours
Cons
short breaks
a great diamond retail company to work for
Diamond Expert (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 1, 2016
I would work there forever but, I must move for family reasons. Great environment to work in. Great people, wonderful clientele
Pros
great work, home balance
Cons
retail
Great work place with amazing people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 13, 2016
a typical day is that you must find your own work to do to stay busy. It can be very slow sometimes which can be hard to find things to do but there was usually always something to be done! the people i worked with were amazing!
Pros
Lunches, Team activities
Cons
short breaks with very long shifts
did not like it
Front Desk Coordinator and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 6, 2015
Pay was not very good, there was no room for advancement. Some days were busy and others were just flat out boring. not a place i like to work at all.
Pros
Cons
long hours standing
High potential monetary wise, long hours.
Merchandising/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 16, 2015
I worked about 80 hours a week on salary with no overtime. Rarely had time off and worked every weekend for three years. I loved my coworkers dearly, however, and they became like family so it was hard to leave. The culture was definitely a bit different being our owners/managers were from Israel and had very strict Jewish beliefs. I learned a great deal about diamonds and gemstones and was very fascinated with them. We would have shows 3 times a year and vendors from all over the world would come and let us model their merchandise.
Pros
Free breakfast on friday and good benefits
Cons
long hours with no compensation
Most Enjoyable Employment
Full Time Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 7, 2013
I really love this company. It was by far the best job I have ever held. The management team was always right on top of making sure their employees were happy and well taken care of. In a fast paced environment like this, it was really nice to know they always had your back and your best interest at heart.