Play YouTube video button

United States6,239 reviews
Found 6,239 reviews matching the search
Featured review
DICK'S Sporting Goods selected this as a representative review
As this being my first job it was a great job to work at. The people there were great and are really good people. They made me feel welcome, made me look forward to working there, and I enjoyed working there.
The management staff micro manage everything you do. They give you unrealistic goals to complete. The managers on the district level are the same way if not worse.
Manager of backstock runs the entire building my manipulating other members of mgmt. She wants EVERYONE to kiss the ground she walks on very self centered
Pros
Easy work
The company is going through a period of growth which also causes much uncertainty. Lay offs / Firings are happening frequently while they continue to overwork the remaining employees.
They offer some fun activities through the year but they recently moved to an open office environment that creates disturbances while you work and puts you at risk of catching germs ( think covid 19!)

Management needs to be improved. Many managers are life long employees who need to experience what it is like at other employers. These managers remain employed due to their seniority as well as they are on the only ones who talk to upper management about workers' performance. If the manager doesn't like you , you will have a difficult time.
Pros
Fun activities, Discounts, Good Pay, Good Benefits, Free Parking, Dress Code
Cons
Management, Office Lay out, Job uncertainty, Expensive Cafeteria, Overworked
Progressively gets worse. If you have a half decent work ethic do not work here, they will bleed you dry. They are not understanding of any personal life. So if you have a family, I advise againist.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
DICK’s Sporting Goods gave me an experience that I will never forget. It was my first time, that I was a sales associate. I was nervous that I would mess up and be fired in no time, but my department manager taught me everything she knew. After she taught me how things go down, I became a natural. Then, I became to realize the importance of being a sales associate at DICK’s Sporting Goods, and that’s seeing the smiles of the little kids’ faces when their parents buy them something new for the sport they play. That brought me happiness.
The job was very fun. The people were nice and management was really well. Would go back but it’s starting to die down. Not a lot of people come into the store that much.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Boring
This job is a joke to anyone who hasn’t worked there for 2+ years. Managers have favorites and definitely say bad things behind your back if you’re not one of the favorites. Not an easy job. No one is available to help you if you have questions on how to do things (they will make you feel useless and leave you all on your own). Also, the store manager is a pervert who will say creepy and uncomfortable things to the young girls who get hired there. Scheduling manager has no respect for the availability you give them. If you only work a 6 hour shift, you have to beg to get a 10 minute break. Definitely not worth the small amount of money they offer you. And they wonder why none of the new hires stay?

As far as their COVID policy goes, good luck testing negative.
Cons
This company is great to work for if you are in school or just working part time. Generally they are flexible with your schedule as long as you plan in advance. Sometimes they will let you transfer to college location and then transfer back during summer break. But one downside is they sometimes will drastically cut hours for PT after holiday season or if they over spent. Be clear about your minimum and maximum hours you are willing to work or else you have no control.
For full time jobs this job is a little tough. You won't have Holidays off and you will probably be asked to do more and more creating unreasonable expectations. They sometimes bring newer people in at higher pay rates than people who have been there for years. The cost of health benefits are fantastic and the plans are good. It is hard to be on your feet all day. You can normally get overtime if you want. The attendance policy for full timers is strict given they are scheduled 5 days a week it is harder then for PT. NO VACATION OR SICK LEAVE FOR A YEAR. Super surprising.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not great full time
There are a lot of great people that I worked with, but the managers were bad. In all honesty, there were only three that I really liked. Some of the managers do not know what they are doing and they do not train well for the jobs. Working in apparel, there should be at least 2 people closing every night but there is only one person taking care of the one department that is 85% of the store. That's sad and aggravating because they neglect and abuse the one department that is profiting the most for the company, which is terrible. The store manager, whenever he wants, will force someone to leave their scheduled department and go to a different one. One of the managers plays favorites and only cares about them, no one else.

No one in apparel is trained well to do sets and make the pads look good except for the leads, because of the one manager who enables favoritism. There is no communication what so ever and when someone asks for help none of the managers respond, and if certain ones do it's usually with a condescending tone. The only things the managers care about are metrics and analytics. They do not care about the morale of the employees and it shows when talking to my coworkers. Everyone I've talked to has said that apparel is the worst dept to be in in this store.

I've heard that if you complain about management, the store manager will deny and say that the claims are lies. That is a major flaw with management, that they do not take responsibility for their actions. It had gotten so bad that I have seen some people quit and not come back. The overall experience was way
 - more...
Pros
coworkers, discount
Cons
short breaks, some incompetent managers, lack of communication, no integrity
If you don't like connecting with customers about sports you're passionate about don't apply. Easy to learn job for the most part. Great casual dress and team work environment. Fun managers.
Pros
They hire good people who work hard.
Cons
Managers have no idea what bike techs do.
Was only a seasonal worker. Didn’t get many hours. Towards the end of December I went from having a lot of hours to having all of them taken away and gave them to workers that worked there longer until they told me they didn’t need me anymore.
Cons
Short breaks, not many hours
I worked at DSG during college. It was perfect for my schedule with classes. I worked with some really great people. I was also very impressed our regional manager knew my name after a couple visits. Made me feel important and valued.
Pros
Very fast paced even on the slower days
Cons
Little room for advancement
With health being an issue, they’re going overboard on the hours. I’m near exhausted and I feared I came down with the virus but I didn’t. When I first started, it was a challenge because it was like being tossed into a fire. There are calm times but when it gets busy, it can get very disorganized. And when new people join in, they leave after a week.
Pros
Employee discount.
Cons
Disorganized when peak times hit
Dick’s sporting goods has a very selfish upper management and doesn’t give the employees much slack or gratitude for all the work they do. It wasn’t a bad environment but the managers made it that way. It was miserable to work there
Racist and degrading management, disrespectful of employees and customers behind closed doors. Coworkers are the only thing I enjoyed about the job. Literally only care about profits.
Horrible work environment for employees. I’ve been in retail mgmt for 15years and that’s the worst place I’ve ever worked . I was sent to other stores for training which is no problem but they were not welcoming and it was not productive. When I tried to tell the district manager I was blackballed for talking negative ab my trainer and it just went downhill from there . I was training to be the ASM and the staff was great but the store manager was awful. Some negative about pregnant women and black people .
Pros
Pay
Cons
Harassment, no work life balance
They don't pay very well but they expect top notch work from you. They don't train very well. The upper management and corporate are not really focused on the employees. They will short staff parts of the store during big events putting those employees in a difficult spot.
Pros
Easy to get hired
Cons
Your a cog in a machine that can be replaced.
Great team members, accommodating schedule, and great organization. I learned basic cashier and customer service qualities.
Great team members and managers.
Pros
Social interaction
Cons
I've worked for DSG three separate times now. Each time was in a PT role. The pay isn't the best, but the environment of the workplace is desirable. I would highly recommend for anyone needing to gain experience in a customer service position. The advancement opportunities are available but may require relocation. The pay gets better as you move forward, but be ready for long work weeks.
Pros
Culture, products, benefits, advancement
Cons
Pay, retail environment
My experience working at Dick’s Sporting Goods, was over all good. I was able to move up in the company multiple times as well as succeeding in most projects given to me with the help of my coworkers, peers and management
Ask a question about working or interviewing at DICK'S Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.
1.5K
1.9K
1.6K
Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

20%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

40%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.