Dick's Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Found 4,841 reviews matching the search See all 4,855 reviews
Great distribution center but lying management
Loading Trainer (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJanuary 13, 2019
The first-shift/second-shift war is real here. I have seen people fired over how heated they got sometimes. As long as you kept your head down you were fine, though. Problem was that management knew you would work hard, dangle the promotion carrot in front of you with no intention of actually getting promoted. I called them out on it and felt like I could only leave. Also, when I worked there a year ago, the warehouse had no space in it for the amount of stores we serviced and even bumping a pallet with your PIT would trip the alarm and be considered an accident. Lots of stress there for sure.
Pros
Amazing benefits, nice employee sale, honest work
Cons
Snake-charmer managers
Fun enviornment. Awful management.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 29, 2018
Working at Dick’s Sporting Goods has no benefits besides receiving a slight discount. The pay is ridiculous, they do not give anything but maybe a couple cent yearly raise. There is no room for advancement within the company. They are always understaffed and do not know how to write a schedule. Breaks were never on time and we were not given the appropriate amount of break time written in the employee handbook. They would schedule workers in departments that were not their own, causing for more chaos. The management is AWFUL. My store had about a 70% turnover rate. Just awful. On a positive note the coworkers were wonderful and made the job bearable. It was nice to see all the new clothing and equipment that came out each month.
Pros
Discounts, awesome coworkers
Cons
Breaks, management, staffing, scheduling
Uncertainity in a changing enviorment
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 22, 2019
I assist customers in looking for the right fit that they believe will raise the level of their golf game.
No matter what you know or how good you know a product is, the willingness of an individual to accept the evidence and judge it against the cost is paramount.
In some areas management must rely on the person who knows their job but sometimes management fears giving that individual too much power or credit.
When a customer makes a purchase then returns two weeks later to say they really love the equipment and it has helped makes it all worthwhile.
Pros
Returned customer that keeps coming back asking for you especially.
Cons
The customer who feels price is the most important issue at the time.
Do not work here
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHNovember 19, 2018
Terrible management with zero opportunity for advancement or pay raises. Store managers pretend to care but realistically they want to just get that GM job. Short breaks. Terrible point system for being late. Throw new hires out to the wolves during holiday season by giving them no time to actually learn. They give them a shift or two and expect them to know everything for a holiday. Terrible scheduling. Hour cuts are crucial. There will be weeks you get 0-6 hours because pay roll will be low in one department, so they steal hours from another and leave the people in that department with none. They want to make you learn how to do everything in the store and be cross trained, but still pay you minimum wage. Some managers barely even know how some departments are run.
Pros
Discount
Do not work here.
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, CONovember 20, 2018
My time at Dicks Sporting Goods he’s been very short-lived. I’ve worked there for about 2 months along with another friend of mine. He and I are both quitting due to poor management, being overworked, and being treated poorly. While doing my job, I was ridiculed and told I wasn’t doing enough, but I worked very hard and helped out in all departments. The management doesn’t care about your well-being and only sees you as a “work machine”. The points system is completely ridiculous and makes the environment seem competitive. If you decide to work here I wish you the best of luck and I hope you have a better experience than I did.
Pros
20% Discount
Cons
poor management, long hours for part time, bad work environment
Don't do it
Would tell them who I am (Current Employee) –  NYOctober 4, 2018
I was hired to work full time in one position but was trained in another area (due to a medical issue of prior employee). then when I inquired about the original position I was hired for at full time I found out someone else was hired in that position and the company doesn't want to transfer me to the spot i was hired for and because of that I lost out on full time and no chance of promotion (which was specifically mentioned in my interview as a career objective).. I have spoken to all of the management and they did not have anything other than praise of my work thus far, and despite having a team lead position (with all of the members of that team speaking to the management on my behalf- without my knowledge to put me into that position) available they refuse to think about it. I'll try a transfer to another store-with a entry level management position- for only that position... but if the store i'm at now is any indication it looks like i will be looking for another employer.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
Misinformation, editing of timecard, have to nag and annoy to get a break/lunch
Very friendly place to develop sales skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Union Gap, WAJanuary 7, 2019
Dicks Sporting Goods was a great place to work, I enjoyed coming into work and assisting my team and customers. Dicks offered plenty of room for promotion and advancement. Working there helped me develop my social skills which allowed me to work well with others and offer good customer service. I am glad I worked there and look forward to use what I gained from the work experience in my future career.
Pros
Environment, hours, management
Cons
Lack of Benefits
Dicks Sporting Goods assesment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Mount Juliet, TNOctober 17, 2018
Its a good starter job to get some retail experience and some money. Only that though, if you are thinking of becoming a manager or move in the company from within you better cut that fantasy out. Dicks hire outside of the company for management mostly and the some cases where you do get a higher position from inside; you hade to wait 5 years just to do that. Plus they pay their associates pretty poorly and the benefits aren't enough to stay long. This company is only for beginner experience, not a lasting career.
Okay.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  CTJanuary 4, 2019
Managers are never on the same page which can make the day a bit more challenging. The employees are cool for the most part some work hard some don't like any place. Hours are up during spring time all the way to winter then fall off in Jan. I learned a lot of patience working here. CSS or customer service specialist is just a lead cashier.
Pros
Advancement, challenging, great associates, always busy
Cons
management, dysfunctional
Pretty Good Summer Job
Apparel Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Short Pump, VAJanuary 8, 2019
I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods the summer before I began college. The work was fairly easy. The store was a bit understaffed. However, management was incredibly friendly and fellow employees were as well.

My only complaint is that there is no set starting salary. When I joined I was asked "how much do you think you should be paid?". My naive self said "maybe around $8 an hour?". This resulted in me being paid exactly $8 an hour. I didn't have any complaints until I learned that a guy who started literally a few weeks before me was making $8.50 an hour. This other employee spent most of his time avoiding doing work and getting yelled at by managers, so the pay difference clearly wasn't because he was a "more experienced and/or better worker"
Pros
easy work
Cons
understaffed
N/a
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 20, 2018
Provide register coverage as needed and ensure strong customer service standards are met by supporting cashiers through complex transactions
Serve as primary customer service provider at the front end and liaison between customers and management
Ensure customers receive outstanding service by adhering to and enforcing customer service programs
Handle all situations that involve firearms passing through the front end and ensure compliance with firearms safety policy and procedures
Promote company programs including warranty sales, Scorecard (loyalty program), private-label credit cards, and other seasonal promotions
As business needs arise, other tasks may become necessary
Assist with the unloading of trucks and processing of freight
awful experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDJanuary 20, 2019
Working at DSG has been one of the worst experiences. The management is very rude - they tell you to do multiple things at once and get upset when it’s not done quickly while trying to take care of customers. They’ll call you an hour before a shift you’re not working is supposed to start asking you to work, because they’re so short staffed. They rarely give a break unless you remember to ask for it. They have a point system for if you call out - 8 points and you’re fired (which isn’t fair for things like snow, bad driving conditions, etc.). I’ve experienced 5 managers since I’ve been working. I’ve seen employees leave within 2 weeks before. DO NOT RECOMMEND WORKING HERE.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
no break, poor management, inflexible scheduling
Bad management, bad CEO, bad corporate.
Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, IL 60062January 14, 2019
The job can be fun it's just poor management and your schedule can go from working 35 hours one week, then the week after you can 6 hours for the who week working . This job is always hiring, but they always hire Teenagers, and then they leave. also if you're in school it's worst they can schedule on days you can't work ans sometimes switch you between morning and night shifts. The manager and corporate of Dick's is some of the worst, dumb found, poor work environment that I've ever work with in my entire work career and I've been in retail for almost 4 years.
Pros
25% discount.
Cons
Poor management, and mixed up schedule.
disconnect with corporate and stores
Golf Tech/Sales (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIOctober 8, 2018
Dicks recently switched more to an operations style store after last years quarterly report that was much lower than expectations. Changes started to take place to try and move DSG to a more profitable company. They began to implement store managers to meet certain numbers expected in their operations that to corporate means making a profit. In turn the management became stressed with meeting certain quotas that led poor management of workers. With the low pay and stressful work environment created, i do not see any opportunity of growth in this company. There is a high turnover rate, Good workers get fired, while ones who should be let go still remain. Also a musical chairs of managers take place as the DM switches managers of stores in what seems like a yearly basis.
Pros
none, even the discount sucks
Cons
I heard working at Macy's is better
Over-worked, underpaid
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 19, 2018
I started working at Dick's as a cashier over the holiday season and then moved to the Lodge department where I was promised to get a raise to $10.50/hr (I started at $9.50/hr). Even after continuously pestering them about my raise over months I was never given one. Meanwhile, newly hired kids were starting at $10.50-$11/hr. Also you end up staying up to 2 hours past your shift when closing. It was horrible during the holidays especially because I am a currently enrolled student with a lot of school work. I remember getting out sometimes at 1am. Managers wouldn't care about your personal life at all, even during Finals. You left when they left. Definitely would not recommend working for them.
Fun co-workers, very flexible hours
Customer Service Specialist (Department Lead) (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 11, 2018
A typical day at work is relatively stress-free. Your responsibility is helping out the customer with whatever his/her needs are. After that, the main part is moving product to where it needs to be and re-stocking as needed. Management is alright, some are better and more prepared than others. Overall, the culture is nice and I enjoy working there for the most part. The hardest part of the job is customer complaints, but that's to be expected. The most enjoyable part is being able to socialize to an extent with the friendly co-workers.
Pros
flexible hours, nice people, decent pay for part time
Cons
some incompetent managers, stressful during holidays.
A very hard and stressful place to work
Certified Golf Club Technician (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHNovember 14, 2018
A typical day would include being in the department all by yourself and expected to still give a high level of customer service and still tend to department needs. I learned that retail sales is not for me at their level of expectations. The management was concerned about one thing - sales. the workplace culture was very negative. The hardest part of the job was working in the department alone and trying to get every thing done that needed to get done. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I could totally focus on the customer and their individual need.
Good holiday job
Footwear Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDJanuary 18, 2019
Only worked here for a brief time as an hourly employee. For someone interested in the company this is not a bad place to start. Every department has a structure for advancement, so if you work hard and put in the time, there;s always a chance for eventual raise/advancement.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
needy customers
It's okay
Project Manager, Visual Presentation (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 16, 2018
The company has gone through a lot of change within the last 10 years and has become very different from the company I started working for in 2005. Economic climate drives a culture of desperation, lots of "shoot from the hip" decisions that end up creating a lot of headache a few months later. Depending on where you are in the company and what level it can seem like management is floundering to keep their head above water. That being said, there are many pros about working here - job security (in comparison to other retail companies) and a "fun" culture at times.
A goodCompany to work for
Warehouse Processor (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAJanuary 3, 2019
Working at the DC is very physically demanding and fast paced, but it is a rewarding company. I have learned a lot about how products are distributed and processed. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new skills and that the employees get constant recognition of a job well done. Most of the supervisors were friendly, however, I feel they should have worked more as a team instead of trying to outdo each other.
Pros
the raises and assentives are great motivators
Cons
very physical demanding in strenuous on your body

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dick's Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K
41.5K
31.3K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Powered by Comparably