Dick's Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Found 4,589 reviews matching the search See all 4,601 reviews
Over-worked, underpaid
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 19, 2018
I started working at Dick's as a cashier over the holiday season and then moved to the Lodge department where I was promised to get a raise to $10.50/hr (I started at $9.50/hr). Even after continuously pestering them about my raise over months I was never given one. Meanwhile, newly hired kids were starting at $10.50-$11/hr. Also you end up staying up to 2 hours past your shift when closing. It was horrible during the holidays especially because I am a currently enrolled student with a lot of school work. I remember getting out sometimes at 1am. Managers wouldn't care about your personal life at all, even during Finals. You left when they left. Definitely would not recommend working for them.
Typical Retail Store
Maintenance/Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHOctober 19, 2018
I worked there temporarily. I was only there for three months and it was a nice experience. The store was just built so we had to assemble a lot of the displays, and clothing racks.
Lacking Ledearship
Golf Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAOctober 19, 2018
I was a golf technician, only meant to work on golf clubs. My manager decided that wasn't enough and I became his personal stock boy, even though I have a bad back. They have no regard for the floor staff and do not listen to the needs of it employees.
Fun workplace, good discount
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILOctober 18, 2018
A typical day at work was organizing the clothing racks, make sure all the prices were up to date, make sure the sales were good, assist customers in finding what they needed. The hardest part of the job was the fitting rooms, there were so many fitting rooms that had to be kept clean at all times and it was hard when customers would just go in and leave everything.
Dicks Sporting Goods assesment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Mount Juliet, TNOctober 17, 2018
Its a good starter job to get some retail experience and some money. Only that though, if you are thinking of becoming a manager or move in the company from within you better cut that fantasy out. Dicks hire outside of the company for management mostly and the some cases where you do get a higher position from inside; you hade to wait 5 years just to do that. Plus they pay their associates pretty poorly and the benefits aren't enough to stay long. This company is only for beginner experience, not a lasting career.
Great environment, flexible
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 16, 2018
Great associates to work with, great environment, laid back and relaxed but during holidays can be fast paced at times, managers are very flexible with hours
Overly Competitive
Apperal (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, OROctober 15, 2018
Working here was a nightmare. They hired me for a certain position and then on my very first day decided they "changed their mind" and put me into a different department. When I later brought it up to them they threatened to fire me on the spot. The managers are extremely judgmental. There is a lot of negative talk over the employee radios and always finger pointing. Everyone working there hates their jobs and looks miserable and aren't afraid to tell you that.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Managment, won't hire full time, drama, low pay
It was good for a while, high turnover...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 15, 2018
The team at Dick's tends to be pretty good, there are a few bad apples. The problem was that there was no real way to advance or to be used based on your skill set, they just put you where they needed warm bodies.
Quick paced work environment
Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 15, 2018
Inconsistent hours, managers always schedule you even when you have time off, no breaks during a 6-hour shift which is ridiculous. Lack of proper scheduling which leads to the store being understaffed on busy days
Not to Work for them is the Best Interview!
Freight Flow Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2018
I was interviewed for a FFL ( freight flow lead) position in Receiving...
In the interview, the Manager of the Store told me NOTHING about their processes of the job!!! (And he was the Backroom time bandit for timing the process of unloading a 53 ft trailer by hand!)
When I got involved with the company, I thought it was a good company.. but the bottom line is; they allow the management to lie to associates, treat the associates with dis-respect and then only give them the least money for their job or knowledge while also giving the associates that need to make a paycheck 4 hours a week! If they cut back help for the day... You then need to do 4 different jobs that are not your job classification, because you are a TEAM!!!
Nothing here at this company is worth me wanting to tell anyone to work for them! Unless you Love Grief!!!
By the Way... if you think its bad at the store level... try to talk to HR about the issue at the store... You are made to feel like you are CRAZY!!!
Pros
Only the Benefits if you can be made Full time
Cons
EVERY thing about this company and how you are just a Tool... not part of the Team, as they like to Preach!!
Great job for kids that's in school
Lodge Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 15, 2018
Not good for a full time person only good for kids that's in school schedule changes all the time no set schedule not the job for me I want a full time job
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Great part-time job, no potential though
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 15, 2018
I've been working here for over a year as a part-time associate and it's a good job for money on the side. Although there's no growth in this company. Doing well in the job isn't meaningful either
Pros
Flexible hours, coworkers, learning ability
Cons
No growth, management is bad
No hours and bad pay
Footwear Operations/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIOctober 15, 2018
This play is as cheap as they come. One week you'll get 22 hours of work, the next you'll get 4 if any. Your biweekly paycheck looks about the same every week or smaller. Some weeks, I only get 4 hours in total so my pay check is just for that one day.
Pros
Fun, employee discount of 25%
Cons
Pay, hours, stressful
Retail job with competition
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 14, 2018
Mostly students work there as a part time job. Limited place for advancement unless you are very competitive in trying to pitch credit cards and reward cards. The managers give daily goals and you feel pressured in trying to provide what' s given.
It's ok. Great company. No leadership whatsoever
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 12, 2018
Great company with future. But only for those that play the political game. Rather not talk about the place. People go there happy then take few moments to realize big mistake
Decent place for part time work
Golf Associate (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSOctober 12, 2018
You will build good friendships with the employees , the managers sometimes will put you into jobs that you've never done and tell you to figure it out
Pros
Discounts and decent hours
Cons
Short breaks for long days, management sometimes doesn't care about you
Fun place to work for sports fans
Bicycle Technician (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PAOctober 12, 2018
Fun place to work if you're a sports person. Slightly over pressured to sell credit cards to customers. Flexible scheduling and mostly good management.
Pros
Store discount, commission on credit card sales
Cons
Not much room for advancement, over pressured atmosphere towards sales
Exciting and memorable job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 11, 2018
Working as a sales associate I saw everything. It was always a good time working there and I enjoyed helping people. If you do not like helping people than this job is not for you. You are always asked to put the customers needs first. I learned a lot about customer service and how to talk to people who do not want to be talked to or helped.
Pros
25% off discount
Cons
no benefits
Met nice customers
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 11, 2018
Lack of mangment.the whole time I worked there my check was low every week that's why I quit they owe me over 3,500 still .they under paid for jobs I did they were very in professional
Pros
Meet nice customers
Cons
Never pay right
Fast-paced, ever changing environment. Physical labor and sales daily
Key holder/Apparel Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDOctober 11, 2018
My role is responsible for maintaining visual presentation on the salesfloor which includes processing freight, getting product to the salesfloor, and updating gameplans.
As a key carrier, I am also responsible for store operations including, but not limited to, register and cash handling procedures, banking, customer service, loss prevention,and training.
We work in a very sales driven environment, and we have to be able to quickly shift priorities to accommodate "now business" or changing business trends.
In this retail environment, key qualities include time management, communication, and problem solving.
Pros
Good relationship with teammates
Cons
daily physical labor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dick's Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K
41.4K
31.2K

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight