Dickey's Barbecue Pit Employee Reviews

Moderate Paced Food Service Job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLJanuary 30, 2019
Although the financial benefits of working at Dickey's are nonexistent, the discount on food made the job bearable. Management was a problem, but ownership has since changed
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
No benefits, no promotions, dead end job
Sloppy work enviroment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORJanuary 16, 2019
Definitely not a job for anyone that cares about advancing in their career. Management is lazy, not good with giving raises, and not considerate about individuals health needs.
Pros
free food.
Cons
bad enviroment
Fast paced environment
Food prep/cashier (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WADecember 31, 2018
Though it is not the worst place I had worked, a typical day at Dickey's entailed constant orders that needed to be delivered to customers, and heavy lifting of inventory several times a day. I learned about multitasking skills and gained a better sense of delivering top-notch customer service. The hardest part of the job were the long hours employees had to work, late into the night time hours. The most enjoyable part of the job were the customers and my fellow employees.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
No benefits, no insurance, no vacation
stressful and counterproductive workplace at Dickeys
Manager (Current Employee) –  2149 Miller Parkway, WINovember 6, 2018
Would usually come in the morning work by myself for a couple hours, but I usually ended up working by myself almost the whole day. Some employees wouldn't show up for work. I usually had to manage the store on my own the owner was rarely seen and if he did come to the store it would be no more than 5 minutes. The hardest part about working on my own was the line of customers waiting for their food. I had to prepare, cook and serve the food to the customers including doing all the side food, frying items and tend the register as well. The most enjoyable part of my job was when a customer complimented me and when my shift was finally over which normally wasn't supposed to be as long as it usually was. I was had to cover shifts for others. I learned that you should manage a store more better than my previous owner because if not you lose customers and employees. Your business will die if the owner doesn't do his part of his job. I hope the new places I work isn't the same as my former job.
Cons
no breaks, no free food, no benefits at all, not likely to get any raises, overworked, understaffed
Terrible company to work for
General Manager / Marketing and Catering Director (Former Employee) –  USNovember 29, 2018
Severely overworked and under-compensated, Expected as a manager to carry the restaurant with 2 or 3 employees during a rush and send those few people home after the rush, being alone to carry the restaurant single-handedly between shifts, at which time I was also expected to be out marketing. Very unrealistic and contradictory expectations from the heads of the company. Worked about 80 hours per week on salary trying to maintain the labor percentages required by the company, which were roughly HALF what the industry standard is.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Everything else
It was a productive work place
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYNovember 6, 2018
It was a good work place. The fact that our supervisors were all good friends with the staff made it to where there was a lot of favoritism in the work place.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Healthcare no other benefits
An okay place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Downey, CASeptember 13, 2018
It is a good first job, but the only thing good about working here was the manager, but he no longer works there. Hours are okay, but pay is stingy and not a good chance of getting pay raises. It is sometimes unorganized and is sometimes understaffed on busy days. In my opinion, not a great place to work, but could be a last resort.
Pros
discounted food for friends and family, able to request days off
Cons
have to pay for your own food, unorganized, understaffed, managing problems
Fast-paced, fun job!
Food Preparer/Server (Former Employee) –  Cedar City, UTSeptember 10, 2018
I loved working here because I was busy all of the time, there was not really time to sit around and get bored. Depending on where you are I am sure there are options for benefits and reasonable salary.
Worst Company EVER!
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 26, 2018
They don't follow their own mission and values statement. They are constantly out of focus with corporates ideas and policy. They hire their children to run the business instead of individuals with actual experience. The owners of the AV locations degrade their workers in-front of customers and allow customers to do the same. The food is mediocre at best and all of the sides are made elsewhere but we are told to lie and say they are made in store.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No appreciation, verbal abuse, no benefits
Chaotic and unappreciative
Assistant Manager/Catering Manager/General Manager (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXMay 30, 2018
Very little cohesiveness, and no benefits for health at all. Owner knows nothing of the business nor spends time at her own business, just expects everyone else to make HER the money.
She has unrealistic expectations of what this business can/will do for her.
Underpays the GM and all management.
Pros
a meal
Cons
No health benefits and poor pay
Great Job while attending school
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Bryant, ARJanuary 31, 2019
I applied at Dickey’s because I needed a job. It was the first “real” job that I’d ever gone out and gotten on my own. The job was pretty easy, and management was pretty laid back if you did your work. Although the job seems simple and repetitive, YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR SHARE. You might think that not doing it or just slacking off in general wouldn’t put a dent in the business but it does. People notice. I made a lot of new friends while I was working. It’s a great place. The only downside to it is that there aren’t any advancements so, you’re kind of stuck at your place for the majority of your time. Which can get kind of boring. There are days when it’s so busy you can’t think and then there are the slowest days imaginable. So because of this unpredictability, your paycheck is definitely going to show the most damage. It’s not a set schedule so you never know what you’re going to make. But in the end, I’m happy for the experience that I was able to have while working at Dickey’s Barbecue.
Didn’t really like it.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Highland, INJune 4, 2018
I throughly didn’t enjoy working at Dickey’s. I did make a few new friends but overall I am happy that I’m leaving and looking for a new job. I didn’t think that pay was worth doing all the work I did.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No benefits
Horrible Environment
Part time Line worker (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 30, 2018
Most weeks I worked 10 hours or less. I was paid $7.50 an hour, and I could never pay rent after paying other bills. The store is dirty, and most workers cannot effectively work together. The workplace had too much drama.
Cons
No breaks, poor work hours
terrible managment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 8, 2018
you will never get hours my coworkers were rude and management was terrible. you do not get paid overtime and most the time get sent home because "too many people were working". food was good though.
Pros
food discounts
Cons
working there.
Good job to get quick experience, but managers will take advantage of you and promise promotions never given.
Pit Crew (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZDecember 10, 2018
No job experience needed for, This job pays pretty fairly, but they will promised promotions that don’t come,Also managers don’t care about employees.
Pros
Discounts, co-workers, free ice cream, pay was nice for high school, close
Cons
Managers, promotions, constantly fighting there
good work atmosphere
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAJanuary 12, 2019
Dickey's was a fun place to work and my employees were amazing. You do have to be willing to give up weekends and a bit of free time if you want a management position.
Pros
discounted food, fun environment
Cons
a lot of work for base pay
It wasn't the best pay but it was fun to work there
GENERAL MANAGER/KEY HOLDER (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAApril 5, 2018
A typical day at work consisted and preparing the meats for the pit, setting the tills for cashiers, and writing orders for US Foods. I learned how to take inventory and write orders, and hickory smoke meats. I was the manager but the owner was a good guy. Workplace culture was upbeat and social, i enjoyed the people that i worked with.
Pros
Free meals, relaxed owner.
Cons
No benefits or 401k.
Productive Place
Pit Crew/Marketing and Catering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVMarch 7, 2018
Easy going job. Everything you need to know you learn on site through training videos and courses online and from a trained worker.
Hours are not bad and they work with your schedule to ensure you have the hours you want or need.
Pros
Discount employee meal
Cons
not many pay raises
It's a job in food service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 23, 2018
Like any job in food service, if there is not good management then the job is not going to be fun. Had a lot of issues being the "new" guy that did not sit well with me. Ownership in the area is great but it is still a job in food service. Only would recommend to high schoolers or people who absolutely need a job.
Super fun and supportive
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Keller, TXFebruary 10, 2019
Management is great. The owners are caring. The crew is so fun to work with. Everyone there supports you, and don’t have to be afraid to ask questions.
Pros
Crew
Cons
No free food unless you work a double