Dierbergs Employee Reviews

Fast Paced Grocery Store
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 14, 2019
I enjoyed my time working at Dierbergs. I enjoy working with customers and made may friends while I worked there. Very fast paced during holidays and weekends.
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, MOApril 12, 2019
They are not truly friendly here and long hours and if you want to change your hours they won't let you change your hours if it don't benefit them they are selfish cuz they won't let you change your hours and time
Pros
Good benefits paid weekly
Cons
Long hours won't change your hours or time
long hours, little appreciation
Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 28, 2019
Dierbergs saying for employees is to grow everyday. However, there is very little done to promote this after your initial training. Most days are spent with a high demand of quality, production, and service yet very little is appreciated for the hard working employees that strive to meet these unobtainable demands. This is a family run business in a small market and it is treated as such from the top down. Loyalty and longevity are rewarded where new innovations and creativity are met with obstacles. Overall, I do not see there business model being able to continue in todays changing environment with new competition in the area as well as a changing demographics.
Very stressful and laughable "benefits"
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOMarch 25, 2019
Constantly micromanaged
Way to fast-paced
Unrealistic expectations for workers
Benefits aren't received until 14 months of employment
Incompetent management
Pros
N/a
Cons
Terrible benefits
Loyalty
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOMarch 19, 2019
I have worked at Dierbergs for over three years and have learned a lot from how to deal with angry customers to operating machinery. I enjoy the atmosphere and the work that I do. Although, I would like to explore other oppurtunites.
Fun workplace that teaches customer service skills.
Courtesy Clerk, Cashier, Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Arnold, MOMarch 13, 2019
Dierbergs was a great job for me, as it was the first job I ever had. I learned a lot here, gained friends and mentors, and gained much experience in a professional setting.
Dierbergs
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOFebruary 14, 2019
This is a good place to work if you’re a teenager or retired person looking for a few hours. If you want to advance in the company good luck ..........
Dierbergs was a great opportunity for me.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 8, 2019
There is considerable opportunity for career advancement. Dierbergs provides a career development program for those interested in promotions. There are multiple locations to choose from which gives one some very convenient options to reduce travel time.
Pros
Great benefits and competitive pay.
Cons
Hours vary for management
Overall enjoyable
Deli Clerk (Delicatessen Clerk) (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOFebruary 5, 2019
A nice place to work. Good people, healthful environment. A typical day includes slicing meats to customer specs, Preparation of deli items, preparing catering orders.
Pros
Discounts, Supervisor
Cons
Low Pay, Corporate Centered Culture
Keep the lights on, job.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOJanuary 27, 2019
No work life balance. Hours vary daily regardless of hourly schedule. Work schedule changes weekly days and hours. Pay is sub standard and there are no benefits at all for the first 14 months, yet you pay union dues for those benefits.
Pros
Cons
Just a job to keep the lights on until you get your dream job.
Decent work environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOJanuary 27, 2019
Decent work environment Specifically maintenance clerk there is not much to do you literally have to do a deep deep search to find something to do for an 8-hour shift maintenance is mainly trash toilet cleaning and maintaining throughout the day and you sit and wait for spills. But at my location, once we get everything done bathrooms vacuuming etc which takes about 3 hours if you can stretch it you have 5 hours of nothing to do lol and …
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Part-time and Union dues
Easy and always hiring
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 27, 2019
A great job if your just getting into the workforce. Fun environment for the most part and very fast paced so your shift goes by fast. The pay isn't that great and it takes a lot of hours before you get sick time or vacation. Also they don't hire for full time positions.
Need better values
Produce (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 27, 2019
I worked at Dierbergs for almost 3 years. Co-workers were very nice and helpful. I worked in a lot of departments while there and learned a lot. They make it seem like a great company to work for but have really lost there values. There is NO advancement opportunities and other employees are unhappy to be there. Your union, so you pay union dues and the union don't do ANYTHING for you. Very good health insurance. The family only comes once a year to make sure everyone is "happy". Core managers would come and go like night and day. All I have to say for this company is that they need to look into there values more and was very misguided during orientation on how it was such a great company to work for. Truly Sad!
Do not work here
Deli Clerk, full-time cook (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 22, 2019
I worked for dierbergs for over four years. I worked as a lead cook at one of the locations and worked 40+ hours a week. They felt that that type of commitment and effort was worth $10.45/hr. They don't give employees discounts and they don't allow their employees to accept tips; as if they weren't underpaid already. I discourage anyone who is thinking about applying for this job
Pros
Making connections with more people
Cons
Poor pay, no benefits and being a part of a union
Sanitation (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 10, 2019
Good people the hours are flexible I would like to work the Again maybe as led I'm more than willing all of the staff are good company to keep around
Bad communication throughout facility
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOJanuary 9, 2019
Unprofessional environment you have to go through many hoops and obstacles to address unacceptable associate behavior. The work place is very stressful with constant change to processes and procedures, not a lot of set processes, unorganized with how production is done and packaged. They rush the other departments to get things to the packaging departments, while the packaging departments are extremely unorganized and do things in no specific order. Associates are expected to stay until all work or their department is done with no consideration to home or family responsibilities. Managers get no praise and are expected to work beyond their required salary pay or scheduled time. Working here during the holidays is very depressing because you are expected to work 12-15 hours the entire week and a half before Thanksgiving and Christmas, leaving no time for holiday travel to see family or to spend time with family in general. Also required to work the day after each holiday. Associates are rude and disrespectful to management and leads they receive no support from senior management with disciplinary action to help with these associations. They expect certain departments to work over time to help another department so that specific department can finish on time. It’s a lot of unfairness to managers and associates. No benefits are given until after a year and a half. They make a lot of small orders that is a waste of time and labor while also producing food items in bulk. There is not enough space for equipment and a lot of the equipment is outdated and hard to use, causes strain  more... on the body. In order to walk around or to just go gathering things or ingredients you may need, you always have to move something out of the way to get to what you need. The cleaning department only focuses on cleaning dishes and not the production floor and departments, they do not organize or clean throughout the whole day some departments get cluttered with dirty dishes and the cleaning department comes to collect nothing besides full trash cans and you have to call them to even do that and to also clean the floors. The expectations are not the same plant wide for all departments causing stress and unfairness. Some associates and managers work extremely hard to meet daily expectations while others fly under the radar and do little to nothing to help out those in need or short staffed to complete daily production needs.  less
Pros
Benefits offered after a long period of time including holiday pay and vacation time, union job
Cons
Cold environment, long hours, unfairness, stressful
Great place to work, very clean, great coworkers, bad management
CASHIER/U-SCAN ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Manchester, MOJanuary 4, 2019
I loved working here when I worked here. The coworkers were great, flexible hours, not that great of pay, but they do like to keep their workers around if possible which I liked a lot.
Low pay for Low responsibility
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 3, 2019
Working at Dierbergs was an experience that I will never forget. This job helped me greatly in recognizing aspects of jobs that I do or do not enjoy. A day at Dierbergs for a courtesy clerk includes bagging costumer groceries for around three quarters of the shift. The other quarter consists of the combination of a break and a trip outside to corral the shopping carts. Initially the job is awkward because of the amount of customer interaction when bagging groceries. However, early into the courtesy clerk experience I learned that the job is simple. The simplicity and lack of responsibility are reasons for the low wage of the job. A mandatory union membership further reduces the wage, making it a poor choice for anyone looking to make more than just a few bucks. The reasons that I did not leave earlier included Dierbergs flexibility for this position, friendly coworkers, and personable bosses.
Pros
Friendly environment, low skill responsibilities
Cons
low compensation, long hours on feet
Good compnay, but the customer is always right
Dairy/Frozen Backup and Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manchester, MO 63011January 1, 2019
Working for Dierbergs is like a rollercoaster. Everyday is something new and there's no way to expect anything. I worked there for over 10+ years at 4 different stores and with many positions. If you are working there part-time, then it's a good job. However, they never hire full-time employees unless you are a manager. They don't care about a degree, even a Bachelor's degree from a University. They will not hire you as a manager unless you go through their management training program, or if you have been there for a long time in that position. They will hire the wrong people and only the people that have been their the longest and not the one's with the experience and knowledge to do an excellent job. You should only work here if you are part time only looking for a weekend job.
Pros
Free lunches during the holidays, a lot of breaks
Cons
Customer is always right and you can never say no. They promote the wrong employees
Poor workplace
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Osage Beach, MODecember 31, 2018
Targeted by a manager and people causing inappropriate and false rumors. The customers were always fun to work with. While training customers would be more patient but the one manager was not near as patient.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dierbergs. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight