Dierbergs Employee Reviews

Under Paid Job with HiGH expectations
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Shiloh, ILMay 19, 2019
I can only talk about the DIerbergs store in which I have been employed at for over a year, that being the Greenmount location in Shiloh, Il. It is very understaffed and the turnover is large. There is no such thing as being full time or getting any kind of benefits period. The average pay is between minimim wage and $12. Those making $12 have been working there for 10+ years in order to recieve that kind of pay. Your average shift is 4 - 6 hours, so in order to get even 20 hours you will usually be scheduled 5 days at 4 hours or maybe 1 day at 5 1/2 and then only 2 other ones. You will rarely get a 6 -8 hour shift. This being the reason is because when an employee works 6 hours they are entitlrd to give you 2 breaks, so they just dont schedule 6 - 8 hour shifts unless you are one of those long term employees. You are required to take your break after the first 2 hours being there, so for example if you are scheduled 5 1/2 hours at the 2 hour mark you break and then you must work the next 3 1/2 hours or 3 3/4 hours with no break or using the bathroom or getting a drink. For the very little amount of pay they give you and think they are doing you a huge favor they expect you to be absolutely perfect in everything with little or no compensation at all. One minute is considered late no matter what and they require doctors note for everything if you want to keep your job. Then there are the employees that get away with anything and those who cant get away with anything. Whats even a bigger problem currently is a situation that is happening in this location now. There is a male  more... manager who was married BUT having relationships with an hourly paid associate and another hourly employee who was helping them communicate as well as aiding him to temporarily leave his wife. This female hourly paid associate, who has been with Dierbergs 1 year and 6 months was promoted to checkout supervisor and the male manager was promoted to grocery manager after this issue was brought to the store manager where he was well aware of the situation. Both of these positions that the manager and the hourly female associate received were never posted as a hiring position on the board, EVER which is Dierbergs policy. ITs rather disgusting and the talk and gossip around the store is huge. Loyal customers of Dierbergs shop there for a reason I have learned in working there for over a year. Those reasons are for the experience and the customer service in which Dierbergs does expect that as any other company would. As an employee that is the only benefit of working for the Dierbergs family, HANDS DOWN. The customers are wonderful and many of us share our opinions with them. The customers are regulars and all of us have much small talk with them daily. From speaking to my other employees and friends they all have the same answers, that being the only good thing about working at Dierbergs and for the Dierbergs family is the customers. There are no rewards, perks, benefits, satisfactin, etc. of working there except the customers. I do not recommend Dierbergs be one of the places you consider when applying for jobs unless things change.  less
Horrible management
Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Warson Woods, MOMay 19, 2019
Worked as a pharm intern. Manager was rude and would call me on my days off. Unprofessional and passive aggressive to her workers. Basically wanted a slave not an employee.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, pay
Not a fun place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 17, 2019
You are treated very poorly. When you question why things are done a certain way, you are told because that's how we do it. Very short staffed and low labor allotments. Unless you are hired as management, you will only receive part time, no benefits. They don't like to transfer people out of certain departments.
Pros
Benefits are decent
Cons
Everything else
Poor department managers - self centered
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 10, 2019
I worked at the Mackenzie Pointe location just shy of 5 years. Tried on several occasions to advance with the company. Never happened. I worked in the deli and the current deli manager is the worst I ever worked for always in a bad mood and made the job dreadfully awful.
Pros
Union protection
Cons
Poor management
Weekly Paycheck.....
Associate (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, MOMay 9, 2019
Some managers talk to employees as if this is your last resort of working because of the current job market. Store Directors aren't always honest in keeping conversations confidential. Like most managers, personal information ALWAYS surface unexpectedly.
Pros
Weekky Check
Cons
Many
poor management
Meat Cutter/Clerk (Current Employee) –  wildwood MOApril 30, 2019
working in meat health department comes in tells me the cutter to move table and the manager says dont do it just make more work for us table is where customers can see
Pros
Cons
lazy and easy place to work easy money
Fast Paced Grocery Store
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 14, 2019
I enjoyed my time working at Dierbergs. I enjoy working with customers and made may friends while I worked there. Very fast paced during holidays and weekends.
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, MOApril 12, 2019
They are not truly friendly here and long hours and if you want to change your hours they won't let you change your hours if it don't benefit them they are selfish cuz they won't let you change your hours and time
Pros
Good benefits paid weekly
Cons
Long hours won't change your hours or time
long hours, little appreciation
Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 28, 2019
Dierbergs saying for employees is to grow everyday. However, there is very little done to promote this after your initial training. Most days are spent with a high demand of quality, production, and service yet very little is appreciated for the hard working employees that strive to meet these unobtainable demands. This is a family run business in a small market and it is treated as such from the top down. Loyalty and longevity are rewarded where new innovations and creativity are met with obstacles. Overall, I do not see there business model being able to continue in todays changing environment with new competition in the area as well as a changing demographics.
Very stressful and laughable "benefits"
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOMarch 25, 2019
Constantly micromanaged
Way to fast-paced
Unrealistic expectations for workers
Benefits aren't received until 14 months of employment
Incompetent management
Pros
N/a
Cons
Terrible benefits
Loyalty
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOMarch 19, 2019
I have worked at Dierbergs for over three years and have learned a lot from how to deal with angry customers to operating machinery. I enjoy the atmosphere and the work that I do. Although, I would like to explore other oppurtunites.
Fun workplace that teaches customer service skills.
Courtesy Clerk, Cashier, Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Arnold, MOMarch 13, 2019
Dierbergs was a great job for me, as it was the first job I ever had. I learned a lot here, gained friends and mentors, and gained much experience in a professional setting.
Freezer extremely cold
PM Packer Salad Line (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 4, 2019
I will prepare sandwiches and salads for daily ordering shipping to stores throughout metropolitan area in Saint Louis and near by communities to ensure deliveries.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Freezer
Dierbergs
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOFebruary 14, 2019
This is a good place to work if you’re a teenager or retired person looking for a few hours. If you want to advance in the company good luck ..........
Dierbergs was a great opportunity for me.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 8, 2019
There is considerable opportunity for career advancement. Dierbergs provides a career development program for those interested in promotions. There are multiple locations to choose from which gives one some very convenient options to reduce travel time.
Pros
Great benefits and competitive pay.
Cons
Hours vary for management
Overall enjoyable
Deli Clerk (Delicatessen Clerk) (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOFebruary 5, 2019
A nice place to work. Good people, healthful environment. A typical day includes slicing meats to customer specs, Preparation of deli items, preparing catering orders.
Pros
Discounts, Supervisor
Cons
Low Pay, Corporate Centered Culture
Keep the lights on, job.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOJanuary 27, 2019
No work life balance. Hours vary daily regardless of hourly schedule. Work schedule changes weekly days and hours. Pay is sub standard and there are no benefits at all for the first 14 months, yet you pay union dues for those benefits.
Pros
Cons
Just a job to keep the lights on until you get your dream job.
Decent work environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOJanuary 27, 2019
Decent work environment Specifically maintenance clerk there is not much to do you literally have to do a deep deep search to find something to do for an 8-hour shift maintenance is mainly trash toilet cleaning and maintaining throughout the day and you sit and wait for spills. But at my location, once we get everything done bathrooms vacuuming etc which takes about 3 hours if you can stretch it you have 5 hours of nothing to do lol and …
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Part-time and Union dues
Easy and always hiring
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 27, 2019
A great job if your just getting into the workforce. Fun environment for the most part and very fast paced so your shift goes by fast. The pay isn't that great and it takes a lot of hours before you get sick time or vacation. Also they don't hire for full time positions.
Need better values
Produce (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 27, 2019
I worked at Dierbergs for almost 3 years. Co-workers were very nice and helpful. I worked in a lot of departments while there and learned a lot. They make it seem like a great company to work for but have really lost there values. There is NO advancement opportunities and other employees are unhappy to be there. Your union, so you pay union dues and the union don't do ANYTHING for you. Very good health insurance. The family only comes once a year to make sure everyone is "happy". Core managers would come and go like night and day. All I have to say for this company is that they need to look into there values more and was very misguided during orientation on how it was such a great company to work for. Truly Sad!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dierbergs. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight