Dierbergs Employee Reviews for Customer Service Associate / Cashier

3.2Job Security & Advancement
Under Paid Job with HiGH expectations
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Shiloh, ILMay 19, 2019
I can only talk about the DIerbergs store in which I have been employed at for over a year, that being the Greenmount location in Shiloh, Il. It is very understaffed and the turnover is large. There is no such thing as being full time or getting any kind of benefits period. The average pay is between minimim wage and $12. Those making $12 have been working there for 10+ years in order to recieve that kind of pay. Your average shift is 4 - 6 hours, so in order to get even 20 hours you will usually be scheduled 5 days at 4 hours or maybe 1 day at 5 1/2 and then only 2 other ones. You will rarely get a 6 -8 hour shift. This being the reason is because when an employee works 6 hours they are entitlrd to give you 2 breaks, so they just dont schedule 6 - 8 hour shifts unless you are one of those long term employees. You are required to take your break after the first 2 hours being there, so for example if you are scheduled 5 1/2 hours at the 2 hour mark you break and then you must work the next 3 1/2 hours or 3 3/4 hours with no break or using the bathroom or getting a drink. For the very little amount of pay they give you and think they are doing you a huge favor they expect you to be absolutely perfect in everything with little or no compensation at all. One minute is considered late no matter what and they require doctors note for everything if you want to keep your job. Then there are the employees that get away with anything and those who cant get away with anything. Whats even a bigger problem currently is a situation that is happening in this location now. There is a male  more... manager who was married BUT having relationships with an hourly paid associate and another hourly employee who was helping them communicate as well as aiding him to temporarily leave his wife. This female hourly paid associate, who has been with Dierbergs 1 year and 6 months was promoted to checkout supervisor and the male manager was promoted to grocery manager after this issue was brought to the store manager where he was well aware of the situation. Both of these positions that the manager and the hourly female associate received were never posted as a hiring position on the board, EVER which is Dierbergs policy. ITs rather disgusting and the talk and gossip around the store is huge. Loyal customers of Dierbergs shop there for a reason I have learned in working there for over a year. Those reasons are for the experience and the customer service in which Dierbergs does expect that as any other company would. As an employee that is the only benefit of working for the Dierbergs family, HANDS DOWN. The customers are wonderful and many of us share our opinions with them. The customers are regulars and all of us have much small talk with them daily. From speaking to my other employees and friends they all have the same answers, that being the only good thing about working at Dierbergs and for the Dierbergs family is the customers. There are no rewards, perks, benefits, satisfactin, etc. of working there except the customers. I do not recommend Dierbergs be one of the places you consider when applying for jobs unless things change.  less
Fast Paced Grocery Store
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 14, 2019
I enjoyed my time working at Dierbergs. I enjoy working with customers and made may friends while I worked there. Very fast paced during holidays and weekends.
Productive and fun place to work.
CASHIER, CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Des Peres, MOSeptember 27, 2018
I started out as a cashier. I trained for the courtesy counter,floral and uscan. I trained for the front end as well, my tasks were doing voids assisting customers, as well as cashiers, if help was needed.

The courtesy counter was 100 percent customer service, plus multi-tasking several other job activities, such as, counting the cashiers tills and balancing, as well as handing out tills and either opening or closing the courtesy counter. I had a large bank so that I could help customers and cashiers if the cashiers needed a loan. The lottery was part of the courtesy counter as well as cigarettes, stamps, and high end liquor.
I filed all of the paperwork , and balancing of the front end.
Pros
Loved the fast pace of the courtesy counter and the responsibilities.
Cons
No cons, I loved my job.
fast pace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 24, 2017
I worked at Dierbergs for 13 years and it was different everyday. You learn your regular customers and they become your friends. There are days when it was so busy that you might not get a break but you just roll with it and make the best out of it. The best part was working at the customer service desk, I loved being in charge it was great
Meh
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOApril 21, 2017
It wasnt the worst but it wasnt the best. Some managers were amazing and some were rude. For it being my first job I was overall impressed and happy but towrds the end was frustrated and ready to leave.
I like working there because I lke my customers and my coworkers.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 7, 2013
I would arrive at work get a drawer and get to a register and start waiting on customers. So that would be most of my day working at a register waiting for customer and giving them the best customer service, which was the best part of the job waiting on the customers and working with my coworkers, I got along with most of the management. The hardest part of the job lately was one of the manager putting me down and not letting me do any other jobs in the store. I was transferred to another store and had a problem getting there because of traffic and I was sent to the other store and did not have a choice which was not fair considering my length of time with the company and at my home store.Dierbergs is a good company to work for because it is a family owned company and has expanded a lot since I have worked them.
Pros
The benefits, the main store I worked at was close to home.
Cons
They changed some of the rules and management.