Dierbergs Employee Reviews for Deli Associate

Poor department managers - self centered
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 10, 2019
I worked at the Mackenzie Pointe location just shy of 5 years. Tried on several occasions to advance with the company. Never happened. I worked in the deli and the current deli manager is the worst I ever worked for always in a bad mood and made the job dreadfully awful.
Pros
Union protection
Cons
Poor management
Do not work here
Deli Clerk, full-time cook (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 22, 2019
I worked for dierbergs for over four years. I worked as a lead cook at one of the locations and worked 40+ hours a week. They felt that that type of commitment and effort was worth $10.45/hr. They don't give employees discounts and they don't allow their employees to accept tips; as if they weren't underpaid already. I discourage anyone who is thinking about applying for this job
Pros
Making connections with more people
Cons
Poor pay, no benefits and being a part of a union
Its a decent first job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 8, 2018
I personally wouldnt recommend it. But it is an ok job if you are just starting out like i was. I didnt like my manager, nor any of the people. It was simply a paycheck
Productive work environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 5, 2018
I loved this place. It really was the best job. If i didn’t go to college i would definitely still be there. The management didn’t just sit and order us around. They helped and showed us. The company really has some great leadership
Reasonably good place to work with a variety of people & problems
Assistant Manager, Deli Department (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOApril 26, 2018
Customers always come first! That means your day can be filled with both good and bad experiences. The biggest problems, however, relate to lack of staffing and organization. Limited cross-training to assist in completing many of the daily tasks in busy departments leaves little time for planning and innovating.
Pros
Clean, safe environment
Cons
Constantly changing work hours, diminishing pay in light of inflation.
I like the people I work with
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Osage Beach, MOMarch 21, 2018
Most of the time it is a very fast paced day. I have never worked in a deli before so that was all new. Our manager is great and will work with you the best she can
Pros
Fun job
Cons
No room for advancement
amazing co workers
deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOMarch 6, 2018
a couple managers that like to scream a lot at west oak location. I visit other locations and this doesn't seem to be the normal. I must have chose the wrong one to work at.
Pros
nice co workers
Cons
short breaks, too many managers and not all of them are very managerial, no discounts, on feet all day
Pretty nice place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOMarch 2, 2018
The pay isnt very good but the work environment is great. they are strict on who they hire so most of the employees are pretty nice responsible people. Though the pay for most of their positions starting out kinda suck, because its a union job you get a lot of nice benefits. If your wanting hours this isnt the place to go because the full time positions are usually pretty booked and because people tend to stay employed they dont open up often. Though they do have alot of good programs for moving up in different departments. Overall I'd say this is good company for a first job or part time applicants.
Pros
Breaks!
Cons
Lack of hours and pay
Need to change company culture
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 13, 2018
Honestly not a terrible job, but not a good work environment. Most of the staff are grumpy people over the age of 50. They are stuck in their ways. Negative some of the time, which makes for a toxic atmosphere. I was constantly running around doing something, while others would just stand around and talk or criticize for everything little thing.

I was interviewed for a management position but hired on as a cook; offered less money and put at a store 50 minutes from where I live. I was in the seafood/deli department but all I did everyday was cook chicken, NOTHING else.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Company needs new blood and fresh faces
Fast paced environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cottleville, MODecember 5, 2017
Dierbergs is very nice grocery store. They carry a wide variety of products, some of which I never knew existed. Also have extensive gluten free, organic products.
Deil
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 18, 2017
If you like working with customers then this could be the job for you its fast paces. Hands on an have to work with heavy machinery. The employees are always to work around.
It was a fine part time job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOApril 6, 2017
It was a simple part time job. Nothing more, nothing less
It was fine when I was working there. I liked a few of the coworkers, but most of them were rude.
Questionably communocation
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Osage Beach, MOMarch 14, 2017
Great place for someone in high school to learn work ethic..and experience. Learning that upper managers are above all...in their own view, there own mind , they are so above the staff that they literally could work with you for years and never say two words..! .there ability to allow there staff to be able to track late days and call ins in 2017 is totally inadequate, most places have an app. That will allow employees to view there accumulating personal days , late clock in...ect. in real time .I believe this is a intentional.( short fall) allowing them to use company policy to be unattainable for there employees. Company policy....employee attendance...request off ...can all be available to your employees via internet....this is a great way for your employees to be assured that all records are accurate! But otherwise loved my Boss and loved working with all my co workers...learned alot.. .!
Pros
Great ppl. To work with core managers are not part of your every day experemce
Cons
Intemtionally keeping employees from their own personal attendances and company policy, in a day in age of infinate means of communications for both employee and employer
Great environment to work in, great people. Difficult to advance
DELI/SEAFOOD ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Des Peres, MOJune 1, 2016
Each day, from beginning of a shift to the end, work was the same. Which is great for starting out and learning what to expect, but after time goes on, it can become boring, even taxing. They also incentivise their employees very slowly. Dierbergs rewards hard workers but is slow to offer raise because the food workers union.
Pros
great skills, great co-workers
Cons
Short breaks, slow advancement
fun, exciting ,great
Deli / Seafood (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 28, 2016
great atmosphere , fun and diverse environment, smooth, exciting.professionally organized ,respectable , nice, kind people enjoyable experience
nice place to work
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Osage Beach, MOJune 9, 2015
Love working there but I have lost my hubby last year and now I am on widows pay and only allowed to make so much money. I had to cut my hours done to 20 hrs a wk. And there was no problem till I had to request to work in mornings from 7- noon for my hours. I now have to watch my grandson in the afternoons and I have to be home by 12:30p.m. to get him off bus. There was no problem at first but now my manager tells me she just don't have them hours for me no more. So now she is only giving me 4 hrs shifts , 2 days a week and I need at least 20 hrs all year round to be able to buy my food and gas for car. I don't ask my boss for too much. I go in when I am sick, I don't call in, and I am on time all the time for my job. I am always early for my shift. I just want to be able to get my 20 hours a week for all year round. I am a good person I think. A typical day at work is getting all of my jobs done and wait on customers and helping associates with what they need. Got a great group of co-workers to work with.
Pros
accident free for so many days and get a lunch
Cons
breaks
Fun To Work For
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 12, 2015
I enjoy working for dierbergs, the customer are friendly my co-workers r great to work with my managers r a very great team to work for.
Cons
part-time opportunity
Decent job with a steady paycheck
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Saint Peters, MODecember 27, 2014
I help customers and cook food for the masses. The work is not too difficult and the employees in the deli all help each other out where they can.
nice team, learned alot
Deli, hot cook (Former Employee) –  Affton, MOFebruary 25, 2014
making salads from scratch daily, and slicing meats and cheeses for
show case. Not everyone is good in management I learned so patience is a must. Left Dierbergs for full time position at Ameristar
Pros
great teaching area
Cons
underpaid, and hard to advance