Dierbergs Employee Reviews

Easy and always hiring
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 27, 2019
A great job if your just getting into the workforce. Fun environment for the most part and very fast paced so your shift goes by fast. The pay isn't that great and it takes a lot of hours before you get sick time or vacation. Also they don't hire for full time positions.
Need better values
Produce (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 27, 2019
I worked at Dierbergs for almost 3 years. Co-workers were very nice and helpful. I worked in a lot of departments while there and learned a lot. They make it seem like a great company to work for but have really lost there values. There is NO advancement opportunities and other employees are unhappy to be there. Your union, so you pay union dues and the union don't do ANYTHING for you. Very good health insurance. The family only comes once a year to make sure everyone is "happy". Core managers would come and go like night and day. All I have to say for this company is that they need to look into there values more and was very misguided during orientation on how it was such a great company to work for. Truly Sad!
Do not work here
Deli Clerk, full-time cook (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 22, 2019
I worked for dierbergs for over four years. I worked as a lead cook at one of the locations and worked 40+ hours a week. They felt that that type of commitment and effort was worth $10.45/hr. They don't give employees discounts and they don't allow their employees to accept tips; as if they weren't underpaid already. I discourage anyone who is thinking about applying for this job
Pros
Making connections with more people
Cons
Poor pay, no benefits and being a part of a union
Sanitation (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 10, 2019
Good people the hours are flexible I would like to work the Again maybe as led I'm more than willing all of the staff are good company to keep around
Bad communication throughout facility
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOJanuary 9, 2019
Unprofessional environment you have to go through many hoops and obstacles to address unacceptable associate behavior. The work place is very stressful with constant change to processes and procedures, not a lot of set processes, unorganized with how production is done and packaged. They rush the other departments to get things to the packaging departments, while the packaging departments are extremely unorganized and do things in no specific order. Associates are expected to stay until all work or their department is done with no consideration to home or family responsibilities. Managers get no praise and are expected to work beyond their required salary pay or scheduled time. Working here during the holidays is very depressing because you are expected to work 12-15 hours the entire week and a half before Thanksgiving and Christmas, leaving no time for holiday travel to see family or to spend time with family in general. Also required to work the day after each holiday. Associates are rude and disrespectful to management and leads they receive no support from senior management with disciplinary action to help with these associations. They expect certain departments to work over time to help another department so that specific department can finish on time. It’s a lot of unfairness to managers and associates. No benefits are given until after a year and a half. They make a lot of small orders that is a waste of time and labor while also producing food items in bulk. There is not enough space for equipment and a lot of the equipment is outdated and hard to use, causes strain  more... on the body. In order to walk around or to just go gathering things or ingredients you may need, you always have to move something out of the way to get to what you need. The cleaning department only focuses on cleaning dishes and not the production floor and departments, they do not organize or clean throughout the whole day some departments get cluttered with dirty dishes and the cleaning department comes to collect nothing besides full trash cans and you have to call them to even do that and to also clean the floors. The expectations are not the same plant wide for all departments causing stress and unfairness. Some associates and managers work extremely hard to meet daily expectations while others fly under the radar and do little to nothing to help out those in need or short staffed to complete daily production needs.  less
Pros
Benefits offered after a long period of time including holiday pay and vacation time, union job
Cons
Cold environment, long hours, unfairness, stressful
Great place to work, very clean, great coworkers, bad management
CASHIER/U-SCAN ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Manchester, MOJanuary 4, 2019
I loved working here when I worked here. The coworkers were great, flexible hours, not that great of pay, but they do like to keep their workers around if possible which I liked a lot.
Low pay for Low responsibility
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 3, 2019
Working at Dierbergs was an experience that I will never forget. This job helped me greatly in recognizing aspects of jobs that I do or do not enjoy. A day at Dierbergs for a courtesy clerk includes bagging costumer groceries for around three quarters of the shift. The other quarter consists of the combination of a break and a trip outside to corral the shopping carts. Initially the job is awkward because of the amount of customer interaction when bagging groceries. However, early into the courtesy clerk experience I learned that the job is simple. The simplicity and lack of responsibility are reasons for the low wage of the job. A mandatory union membership further reduces the wage, making it a poor choice for anyone looking to make more than just a few bucks. The reasons that I did not leave earlier included Dierbergs flexibility for this position, friendly coworkers, and personable bosses.
Pros
Friendly environment, low skill responsibilities
Cons
low compensation, long hours on feet
Good compnay, but the customer is always right
Dairy/Frozen Backup and Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manchester, MO 63011January 1, 2019
Working for Dierbergs is like a rollercoaster. Everyday is something new and there's no way to expect anything. I worked there for over 10+ years at 4 different stores and with many positions. If you are working there part-time, then it's a good job. However, they never hire full-time employees unless you are a manager. They don't care about a degree, even a Bachelor's degree from a University. They will not hire you as a manager unless you go through their management training program, or if you have been there for a long time in that position. They will hire the wrong people and only the people that have been their the longest and not the one's with the experience and knowledge to do an excellent job. You should only work here if you are part time only looking for a weekend job.
Pros
Free lunches during the holidays, a lot of breaks
Cons
Customer is always right and you can never say no. They promote the wrong employees
Poor workplace
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Osage Beach, MODecember 31, 2018
Targeted by a manager and people causing inappropriate and false rumors. The customers were always fun to work with. While training customers would be more patient but the one manager was not near as patient.
N/a
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 30, 2018
This job was very quick paced as we had to get things done in a timely manner. This job could get a little overwhelming at times but I managed and got through it.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Assistant Dairy Manager (Former Employee) –  Shiloh, ILDecember 26, 2018
What I enjoyed most about working here was my co-workers and the overall work environment. I liked the fast pace of working in the dairy department. I loved being able to be creative with displays for sales and learning trends of sales in different times of the year. I loved the small store feel with the warm employees but also the big store variety of products.
Pros
Loved the work enviroment.
Cons
The inconsistency with promises from upper store management.
Review
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILDecember 19, 2018
It was a great high school job, but it was time to move on. It was a great high school job, pushing carts and bagging groceries. It helped me interact with people and customers. Which will help me in the future with other jobs.
Sad excuses for management
Courtsey Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILDecember 7, 2018
The environment was pretty fun. I was constantly targeted by one of the managers. Lots of catty gossip up front, mostly about other employees. No benefits, no discounts except for the cooking school. They make it very hard to get a raise. The only positives were the customer interactions and the flexibility with students. Often when I needed off, I was sighed at and told they would make an exception this time as if no one else had ever needed off. I hadn’t called off very often, except for good reasons. Managers couldn’t care less about employee satisfaction. I had often told managers that I wanted to move into something else and was ignored. Very poor managers.
Pros
Fun customers, fast paced, flexibility
Cons
No benefits, discounts or raises, poor management
A good first job
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MODecember 3, 2018
I bagged groceries and would have shifts going out and receiving carts. I would sometimes go and make sure the products on the shelf had their labels faced forward, so customers could read them better.
working there is horrible .
Cashier (Former Employee) –  west oak, st louis moDecember 2, 2018
poor management the location i was picked to work at very racist , rude angry people in and out everyday all day . most of the time it was the employees not the customers
Good
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  MissouriDecember 1, 2018
Good place to work a lot of people working there every body gets along management is good not a hard job at all it’s a union job so you have the union to you if you need them
Pros
Cons
All good
Fair pay with poor work environment
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MONovember 28, 2018
The payment was fair being almost 10 an hour, however the environment was pretty stressful more than halftime being it was a retail job. The benefits were there as well, although it was difficult to make up for the cons.
Cons
short breaks, stress-inducing
Overall a friendly place to work
, Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  many different locations in StlNovember 18, 2018
Typical day for a manager is taking care of the entire store making sure internal and external customers are taken care of. Also maintaining product level in the store and just he general functions of the business. Most of the management are really easy to get a long with but like with most places there are some who are not friendly. The Dierbergs culture is something like no other place and is not easy to learn. You must have an open mind to work in this environment and thick skin.
Pros
excellent benefits and room for advancement
Cons
in management hours are not single parent or family friendly
High school job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MONovember 17, 2018
This is also a good first job for high schoolers. More of a boys job then a girls but it’s a fun interacting with customers and building relationships
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Weather
Hoping for a promotion
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MONovember 11, 2018
I currently work at Dierbergs Central kitchen in Bridgeton. Each day is fast paced and cold. I appreciate all my coworkers because each day we all work hard. I have only been there for three months but in those three months I can sincerely say I've worked really hard. The turnover rate is tremendous in my three months I've seen numerous of people come and go. I just hope they really recognize hard work and promote Within.
Pros
Easy work and weekly pay
Cons
Short breaks dont get benefits until after a year of employment, turnover rate is very high

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dierbergs. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight