Digital Domain

Working at Digital Domain: 18 Reviews

United States18 reviews

Great company if you're just starting out!

Great place to learn a lot of things especially if you're interested in entertainment. It is hectic at times but there's no better place to learn than to be immersed right in it!

Pros

Family-like environment, friendly people

Cons

Management chaos

Alright place to work with mediocre management

Digital Domain has, for the most part, good people to work with. It's largely silo'd into the departments, but there are times when you interact with people outside your team. The biggest problem is upper management. Most people in decision-making positions have their own agendas, the company doesn't have any kind of mission statement or unified goal, and often times there is little to no communication about the direction of the company. Turnover rate depends on the department, and it's either really high or really low.

Digital Domain insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Overall satisfaction
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks

Fun place to work with you of film history

Long time goal to work for this company. Was excited to have had the opportunity to join the team and work on such a great project. The pace was fast but the management was never short.

Pros

Great people

there are better

This company cares only about the bottom dollar with the shareholder in mind. Artists and production are all replaceable and treated as numbers. The up side is that you will work in the top tier of the industry and build a second to none portfolio.

A two-faced decetful clubhouse.

The entire workplace environment was like a high school cafeteria. All their ever was, was gossip, trash talking behind people's backs, and people retreating to their own power groups of so called "friends". All of whom made the effort of buttering up to the Supervisors, Project Leads, and other faculty admins. And those who didn't were singled out and scorned. The workplace culture was toxic for not behaving or favoring the same like minds. There was no open dialogue. The studio in its entirety was terribly in equipping their artists with constructive feedback and proficient or proper technique. Management would make statements of teamwork and "family" while contrarily encouraging and ensuring everyone to divide themselves from others. And as far as what the studio did to help the community and the county that brought the VFX house into the area, was a complete betrayal. The amount of outside hires they brought in instead of the local artists and grads that they were meant to assist with jobs was disgraceful. My experience at this studio was harmful and disheartening. An inside look at how they operate, treat and turn those under management against each other. Aiming with their own agenda at the cost of others. I believe it is a blessing that this VFX house in FL defunct.

Great place

Opportunity to work on great and famous projects and movies in the entertainment industry. Opportunity to learn and grow. Can see movies before they are released.

Exciting Visual Effects Company -- cool work

Never a dull moment at DD. Projects are always cool. Very satisfying to see the magic of visual effects come to the big screen. Hours can be long and you may have to manage stress during production crunches.

Professional. Good Culture, well organized, brilliant and nice people.

Professional. Good Culture, well organized, brilliant and nice people. A lot of different specialist, each very good at there job. Communication, both up and down the hierarchy was also good. Freelance Artists/compositors like myself were always kept informed...

Pros

Good coffee available 24/7. Stress free, Pleasant atmosphere

Cons

Great opportunity to work with talented people.

I had a the privilege of working with Academy-Award winning teams of people on some of the biggest movies in Hollywood. Overall it was a great experience and I got to travel a lot.

Don't wast your time.

Worked for this fool for a month never got payed! Supposed to get 75 dollars a day . More like 7.50 a hour.I would not wish this on my worst enemy! This company sucks.

Pros

Payed hotel room

Cons

Wages not payed to employee Lies about upcomming work.

Team is Amazing. Admin is okay.

On a day to day basis, the team I work with is amazing. It's full of incredible people who want to build amazing things. Admin is incredibly slow though, and it makes it hard to keep morale high.

Under appreciated and overworked. A truly TOXIC place to work

When I first started at this company, I was really excited! I get to work at a big name company that worked on high end movies and games as well as learning and working with the newest and cutting edge technology, and I really thought that I could see myself spending the rest of my professional career here. Unfortunately, this is where the good part of this company ends. There was a reason why this company had gone through so many bankruptcies. I spent a minimum of 10 hours a day (mandatory) and although I had gotten a chance to learn a variety of tasks and take on a multitude of tasks, I was never appreciated nor was I ever compensated for it. The same was also for my fellow co-workers. Talking to management and HR about getting any kinds of benefits or pay compensation for the years and additional jobs that I had taken on was like pulling teeth. HR was a complete joke. I'm not really too sure what they actually do there besides forward emails. Any time the subject of benefits or pay raises were brought up, it always fell on deaf ears. Everyone that I worked with felt the same and it created a very unhealthy work environment. The excitement of working and advancing in this company was completely gone and you could feel it in the rooms. The hardest part of the job was to pretend like working there wasn't the lowest point in my life. The most enjoyable part of working here was the few times that they provided free lunch.

Pros

Learning new programs and taking on a multitude of tasks and jobs

Cons

Terrible management, HR is a joke, miserable staff, no benefits, no pay raises, no appreciation, toxic work environment, Long hours

A great place to work at.

Barnes and Noble was a great place to work at and the environment was fun. There were lots of cool events and my co-workers were a fine group of people.

Energetic and team work productivity.

A day at work was starting up your work which was any scene from a film. What I learned was the ground breaking fx the we helped invent which to oscar winning level of acheivent. Management made sure that the artists were finishing their work on time and were very professional. The co-workers were cool and created an artistic environment, everyone had their own cube and designed it how they wanted it. Hardest part of the job was finishing a shot on time. The most enjoyable part was seeing the finished film with your name on it.

Pros

Working with the best filmmakers in the film industry.

Cons

unpredictable work schedule

Lived the legand

Oscar level 3d work! need I say more :-) Extremely high profile and they really knew how to throw a party!

Pros

world class and lots and lots of accolades

Cons

long days

Cool place to work

really good place to be if you are trying to learn about visual effects

Short term project, pleasant conditions, interesting project

It was a short-term project, but it was enjoyable to work on it. I especially liked the people and supervisors that I worked with. Some of the hours were long (required because of the short turn-around), but it was accomplished under a very positive atmosphere.

Professional and passionate

I worked at Digital Domain Playa Vista office. I liked the studio here and could feel the professional atmosphere when you first arrive. Very hard working, high quality work and some amazing talented people as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Digital Domain. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits