Dillard's, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 5,912 reviews matching the search See all 5,917 reviews
Not the best
Fashion Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2019
Would not truly reccommend. Management is rude. Company doesnt really care about a work life balance. They bully you around. I would recommend only working here temporarily.
Typical day
Sales Associate - Retail (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 20, 2019
While many people know retail is not the most glamorous industry, DIillards is one of the most dulling, unmotivating, and honestly depressing jobs Iv had. The management (with some exceptions) were overworked, and not good leaders and were barley involved in the day to day activities. While there were days where there were things to do, most days were slow and pretty boring, mainly because there were hardly any customers. We also had a sales and credit card quota we were required to make every month (SPH sales per hour). Now, if there were barley any customers coming in, only a few people were going to make sales. My coworker and friend was fired when their review was up because they were not making sales, and they had been there about 2 years. We were either had way to much to do and got overworked, or it was the complete opposite. Hours and pay were not terrible, but it was not enough to keep many of the people there. They have a very high turnover rate and that alone should tell you a lot about management and how the company is run.
Pros
would give 30 hours
Cons
no benefits for part timers, not much room for promotion.
Poor Management
Handbags specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 18, 2019
I was unable to take my cancer medications which was discussed upon hiring and unable to leave the building on my 15 minute breaks. Very negative department manager and negative comments in regards to my needs to take medications at work. Horrible place to work and absolutely no training. Policies change weekly and department managers give special treatment to some and not others. Unfair business practices and sales practices are aggressive and competitive. Every body complains about the employer and makes for a very unenjoyable work day. Even without cancer....
Ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2019
The truth is we are not a little more domestic and the s the bible is the best thing that we do in our lives and we have to do that and the other things are
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Vj
Felt like I was back in elementary school working there.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLJanuary 17, 2019
I worked part-time for Dillards in Wellington, FL. All managers treat the employees like dogs. They put so much pressure to obtain credits from customers that customers literally get upset when they are hounded to open a Dillards Credit Card every time they shop there. They even have a large poster board with all employees names and and each employee gets a big STAR when they open a credit card. At the morning "pep rally" they actually call out employees if they haven't opened any credits yet for the week! They would ask all those that have not opened a credit yet, to raise your hand!!!! Really? To make an employee feel badly? Your employment is based on meeting your quotas. But how the heck can you possibly meet your quota when there are NO CUSTOMERS!!!!! You only last a few months before you are laid off for not meeting your quota. The people who have been there for years are so cut throat that if you even go near a customer that they feel is there customer, they will literally berate you and managers will do nothing. They do there own markdowns, so instead of tending to customers, you are literally spending all day marking down merchandise. Most unprofessional and ridiculous way of running a retail store.
Pros
Cons
Salary, Management
fun, fast pace job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJanuary 17, 2019
I enjoyed my time there. I was able to learn a lot about fragrances and beauty tips. They treat their employees fairly and do a lot of promoting from with in. The general manager of the store was a fantastic guy who Ifelt a very fair man. Most of the managers were easy to work with.
Pros
Training for further departments
Cons
alot of night shifts and open following days
great place to work
Retail sales (Current Employee) –  palmdJanuary 16, 2019
great place to work. but can get a little stressful and competitive as sales goal can be quite high. hours are inconsistent. little or no room for overtime.
Summary
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJanuary 16, 2019
Working with my peers was very enjoyable. I learned many department experiences by replenishing incoming merchandise and conducting price control of merchandise. My management personal was great to work with.
Dillard's has gone down hill since Mr. Dillard's the 1st died
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJanuary 16, 2019
Through out the years, the company has changed for the worst. They treat their staff, from management to associates like dirt. The managers work on a salary income and usually work 40 to 80+ hours a week. While the associates work on hourly with little time off. Because of the healthcare issues in our country, most of the hourly workers work part-time so that the company does not have to pay for benefits. The daily sales goals and other required goals are unrealistic to achieve. If after a set amount of time you have not reached these goals, you will be terminated.
Pros
good start out pay
Cons
receive pay cuts if goals are not met
excellent developed people skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 16, 2019
I learned how to deal and connect with a customer in a personal level and it was great and easy as I have always been a fan of reading people body language, so doing sales was always fun.
No perks.
Elizabeth Arden Sales (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZJanuary 15, 2019
They had a daily meeting before opening and quotas reign. The workers were really nice people but were worked like slaves.

The people were really nice and kind to one another except if someone wanted a promotion, you had to be careful not to complain because it would be told.
Pros
Store discount.
Cons
Work schedule as grueling, close late, open early.
Insecure Job in a hostile, conniving environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LAJanuary 14, 2019
RUNN!! Dog eat Dog environment!!! Very, very insecure job working in a hostile and individually competitive environment. Employees are verbally intimidated by management into obtaining credit applicants weekly, and punished in various ways for necessary sick calls; Employees become combative, conniving and rude in order to protect and maintain their daily sales quotas. High employee and management turnover; Patronizing managers who are condescending and disrespectful to employees by offering menial incentives for sales performances and credit applicants. No appreciation for employee loyalty; only concerned with numbers which fluctuates per season. Employees are treated like children. Discard you when they have finished using you and your connections.
Pros
Employee discounts; beautiful store
Cons
Unreasonable daily sales quota; Hard to get a raise; employees held responsible for slow days
a good environment to work in
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2019
They had a very good teamwork type environment where everybody worked together really well.I enjoyed my time there a lot and would work there again if the pay was better,
Not realistic whatsoever
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 12, 2019
They do not care about their employees and managers are terrible. Employees hate each other because of "quotas" and it causes too much friction on the sales floor
Management sucks
Dillard's Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXJanuary 11, 2019
working at Dillards is fine and not hard, its the management that is really hard to work with. They are bias and if for some reason you're a target they never leave you alone and are really disrespectful
I loved the people I worked with.
SALES (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 11, 2019
By far the best part about working for Dillard's was the people I had the oppertunity to work with. Co-workers were hard working, dedicated to clientele and overall, friendly.
Great Management
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 11, 2019
Working for Dillards was good work experience. You definitely learn how to work with different kinds of people and get good experience with customers and sales.
Dillards
Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 11, 2019
Great work environment. The overall culture, rules, etc are based upon a fair assessment of one's work and talents. Very rewarding for management. Great place to work.
fast pace, stressful environment
Sales Associate (shoe department) (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 10, 2019
you have to multitask and make sales, also maintaining everything clean and organized. still watching out for other sales associates not to steal sales. seniority is valued at company instead of hardworking employees. management is only interested in sales. the perks is that you have a good discount on merchandise. depending in department you get many hours. i would not recommend the shoe department.
i will recommend the kids department or home department.
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
no overtime pay in some departments
Fun place to work at
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJanuary 9, 2019
Dillards is a fun company to work in. But if you are not good at selling you will be fired no matter what your first three months . The daily quotas were very high and hard to accomplish since it is a high end store not a lot of people shop there since it very expensive , which makes it hard for the associates to accomplish their daily goals. It is very easy to get behind on your quotas.
Pros
Flexible schedules for students
Cons
If your not good at selling you’ll be fired the first three months