Dillons Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It's a good place to work and fun people to work with.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sterling, KSJune 16, 2018
Dillons is a small grocery store in a small college town and is a nice place to work, good people to work with, a relaxed atmosphere and we take good care of our customers.
Pros
Good job, fun people and relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
Not many raises and have to go outside in the winter.
Fun place to work at, they just need to hire more people for help.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Derby, KSJune 16, 2018
Was a great experience for me because I learned a lot of stuff like unloading, using box cutters and stocking up in shelf. They just need to hire a bit more people because last time I worked there we had like 4 people working and they expected us to unload 2 trucks and stock up shelf’s.
career growth
District 2 Deli/Bakery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 12, 2018
My position is 24/7 basically. I oversee 25 stores which accumulate several phone calls, text, emails, conference calls, etc. I problem solve all day long, report out financials, responsible for sales results, inventory results, retention results. I'm responsible for remodel execution, new equipment training, new company initiatives. Hardest part of the job is work life balance. Most enjoyable is seeing associates understand new processes and achieve results.
Staff sucked
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSJune 11, 2018
Customers were great but employees sucked . Management has such a high turnover rate they can't keep anyone and dont promote ever. Teenagers shouldn't be running stores
very stressful place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newton, KSJune 6, 2018
I worked there for a few years management only cares about the people who have been there for 10 to 20 years. They don't help out with anything up front. we had so many new people in and out and it took them months to fire people who were really bad at the job because we could never keep people. There speed standards are unrealistic. They promote people who have been there a long time weather they can do the job or not. They have an award system but its mostly mangers giving other mangers rewards. They never give breaks and you can work a 12 hour shift and not get lunch till 9 hours in or they just forget your lunch altogether on a day to day bases. You are not allowed to speak to your coworkers whether there is things to be done or not.
Cons
Management, Breaks
Good job
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 4, 2018
I have been rehired ar Dillons several times. I had relocated to a place where there was not a Kroger to transfer to and ended up moving back. Each time i was hired at a better position. If i even move back home, I would reapply again.
Often hiring
Chinese Kitchen Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 2, 2018
Foodservice departments are full of low-spirited, repressed individuals, from bottom to top of workplace hierarchy. Not a single cowoker I've met there enjoyed their job. Usually complaints about not enough hours, too many hours, low wages, employees with illnesses/disabilites being treated poorly, and I honestly don't know how I managed to keep my cool.

The management is never available for one to ask questions or air concerns about the workplace, and nobody's opinions except for store management are given any attention.

That being said, the breaks were of decent length and frequent (sometimes a bit too much so) and were good times to release the day's accumulated steam. We used to have a very large "quiet" compartment of the breakroom until the store management decided to take it away for no clear reason.
Pros
Sufficient breaks, well maintained facility
Cons
Management constantly makes unnecessary changes to facility and workplace
Another one ok fr a kid still in school
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 31, 2018
The job itself as a whole was alright, I kept busy did my job, and never had any problems! I had made a lot of friends there , and the employee discount always came in handy.
Not that great
Checker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 26, 2018
Overall the staff at dillons is the only benefit to the job. Management does not care if you're trying to advance in the company. Pay raises are dependant on a certain amount of hours that you work. Something around every 500 hours that you work you get a .25 raise.
Pros
10% discount on kroger brand items
Cons
Short breaks, no room for advancement, infrequent raises
fun job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 22, 2018
a typicl day at work was staying ver y busy and working in more than one area at a time. I really like dealing with the custoemrs in the store and have a ggod relationship with all the customers
Fast paced, day goes by fast
Clicklist Attendant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 21, 2018
Other than poor pay and only work their employees minimal hours therefore, you can not get benefits. Dillon's is a fairly good place to work. They definitely care about their customers and making sure they are highly satisfied.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Not enough hours to maintain a household
Always something to do
Front End Bagger (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSMay 20, 2018
The work isn’t too hard and working there was fun. The only problem was the hours, they were very inconsistent and didn’t work well with high school kids.
Very physically demanding for little pay.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 17, 2018
This job was very physically demanding as you are on your feet all day and pushing carts. Only short breaks were given and sometimes hours were scheduled in such a way as to avoid giving a lunch hour or a second break. Most of the managers were nice and understanding. The hardest part was dealing with certain customers and feeling like you are the lowest standing employee in the store and that other employees don't care about you. I feel like the compensation for this job is too low for the physical demands this job requires. I was able to train up to a cashier quickly but I was not paid more for any cashiering I did in addition to my duties as courtesy clerk.
Pros
ample amount of hours given, growth opportunities available
Cons
physically demanding, low pay, no benefits
Great place with friendly employees
Bakery/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSMay 13, 2018
Everyone I worked with was extremely kind and helpful. When I worked in the bakery, we worked as a team to get things done efficiently. Also when I got to my last trimester of my pregnancy they worked with me to move me to the front end as a cashier.
Pros
Everyone was very nice and enjoyable to work with
Can be stressful with management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Garden City, KSMay 7, 2018
I work receiving, scanning, and front end. The front end management lacks neutrality and favors some. The receiving manager was excellent. The scanning manager is also very nice and cooperative. The front end is not very well trained in any sense.
Pros
10% discount on some items
Cons
management
Dillons
Dairy, Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 7, 2018
Rough place to work. Most days you did 2 or 3 jobs even as management. Loved my co-workers and my team we always pushed through no matter what happened.
A fine place to work if you need a job, but it won't make ends meet
Money Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 4, 2018
A typical day at work had spurts of activity, and slow points, just like many retail jobs. There were plenty of tasks to be done to keep busy, and I never found any of them particularly unpleasant except for the selling of lottery tickets and money orders, both of which are routinely used to trick innocent people out of their money.

I learned quite a few skills, and about how a grocery retailer operates. It helps now, when I'm doing my own shopping to know what days certain things will be delivered, and at what times of the year things will be available.

The workplace culture leaves something to be desired. Upon being hired, I was put through the same old "corporatey" videos I had been put through countless times before. It really makes the company seem insincere to the employee, and sets a bad tone right off the bat. Rather than telling an employee they should be "loyal" Big Brother, it would be more effective to show them WHY they should be loyal to your company. Start with better benefits and better wages, ala Costco or Aldis.

The hardest part of the job, by far, is the queueing system that's in place to ensure the efficiency of the registers. Overseeing them and being "graded" on what arbitrary number you get- especially during a very busy rush- is needlessly stressful. I understand the need to make the lines at the register go as quickly and smoothly as they can, but grading and reprimanding your employees when their scores are off? It's bad for morale. In the same vein, timing the cashiers, and disciplining them or doling out less hours if their times are too
  more... high is also bad for morale. Seems corporate should just make all the registers automated with robot arms and the like if they are really so concerned with shaving off 15 seconds from a transaction. In my opinion, that whole system needs to be overhauled and reevaluated.

The most enjoyable part of the job in money services was definitely getting to hop from one task to the next, and becoming so quick and knowledgeable in so many different skills. It kept the day busy and interesting. Another enjoyable aspect was getting to see some of the sweet, regulars we'd get coming in. They always had nice things to say, and made the day a little brighter.

I will say, the uniforms are atrocious. Not so much the colors, but the materials they're made from. If you're going to provide red polos, at least make them comfortable. Soft, cotton. Not scratchy polyester or whatever they're made of. If you're going to institute a uniform policy, then what's provided should be comfortable to wear. Otherwise your employees are miserable wearing them, and can't wait till they can take them off. Also, a soft cotton polo looks nicer and more professional than some thick, cheap, scratchy blend.

One more suggestion:

Your Marketplace stores are massive, and most of them only have one break location on a far end of the store. It should not take your employees a good 5 minutes of their 15 minute breaktime just to get to a quiet secluded place where they can sit and relax for all of 5 minutes before using the last 5 minutes of their break to trek all the way back to their department. It's not fair to them, and it encourages many employees to skip their breaks, and that starts to get into some fishy legal waters.

I propose you install more breakrooms throughout those big stores for some of your employees, such as the pharmacists or the stockers, who work so very far from the one breakroom. It should take less than a minute for them to put away what they were doing and walk into their breakroom. That way they get the full benefit of their 15 minutes, and they're refreshed and ready to go. It's also such a great morale booster. Having a quiet space where you can take a moment to yourself during a long shift is so important.

So that's my dollar and change.

I hope his feedback is helpful, and that some positive changes are made. I like the Kroger brand, and consistently shop there as a non-employee. But I recognize that some improvements could be made. I hope they come soon.

Pros
Lots to do and learn, flexible hours, clean work environment
Cons
Itchy uniforms, timed transactions negatively affecting employees, etc.
NIce place to work at
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 4, 2018
Even though you will run into the occasional difficult customer it's still a pretty nice environment to wok at. Co workers are easy to get along with.
Pros
Fun enviornment, good management
Cons
Difficult customers
Depends on the store
Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  KSMay 4, 2018
Each store will give a different experience in employment. I just hope you pick one that actually cares about their employees. Oh and the sticker event is just unfair and makes people steal and feel entitled to getting stickers.
Lead Fuel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 29, 2018
I loved working at dillons. The people are nice, the benefits were good, it was a pretty laid back atmosphere. They are big on customer service. So you gotta smile!