Dillons Culture reviews

Working at Dillons
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSApril 15, 2019
what I learned at dillons is how to give customers the best customer service ever . A typical day of dillons for me was would be times that we would be busy especially the first of the month and especially holidays .Hardest part about the job was bringing carts in whenever it was really hot and humid or freezing cold, the most enjoyable part about the job was getting to talk to the customers that I knew or some co workers who was fun to work with
Pros
best people to work with
Cons
not enough hts
Management sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Junction City, KSMarch 22, 2019
The management doesn't communicate. Therefore if you spoke to one about something you will have to tell each one of them. Coworkers were awesome and still are friends with some.
Great People
Asssistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 13, 2019
The best part about the company is the great people you work with on a daily basis. I built many lasting friendships through the company and will miss working with many of them.
Pros
co workers
Cons
hourly associate retention
It was nice enogh to stay a few years.
Starbuks/coffee clerk (Former Employee) –  Andover, KSFebruary 14, 2019
Thw worst was when we could not keep a full staff for us to make our area worth anything.
The best is when we had a full staff and everyone worked proper hours.
Pros
Discounts
productive
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winfield, KSNovember 27, 2018
Typical day started with a list of things to do to keep us busy
I learned that if u do things correctly people will start reconmennding you to do things
Management was awesome if you had a problem with something that was not working they would fix it right then and there
the hardest part of the day was when your slammed with costumers there are times it was overwhelming or really fun
The enjoyable part of the day was when you got done with your list and your boss looks over everything and gives you a complament on how well you did your entire shift
Pros
awesome and friendly co-workers
Cons
odd shift change
Bagger (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSNovember 13, 2018
The most enjoyable part of working at Dillons is interacting with customers. Seeing a smile on a customers and knowing that you helped them is amazing. Management is very nice and you know you can count on them to do the right thing.
Pros
10% off, friendly management
Cons
Very few benefits
There isn’t a fun or productive workplace.
Porter/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 26, 2018
a typical day at work is just doing restrooms and cleaning trash. I learned how to get along with others. Management could use a little improvement. There is no hard or enjoyable part of the job. Workplace culture is okay.
food fun customers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wellington, KSSeptember 8, 2018
the team i worked with was always helpful .always willing to help our customers and other staff.managment was alway right on the ball and comunicated well.
Pros
fun job to learn new skills
Cons
our sales is how we got our hours in scheduling
Accommodating and Fun Workplace with a variety of kind staff and customers.
Grocery Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSAugust 2, 2018
Everyone is very kind and welcoming, which creates for a fun, relaxed, yet still competitive workplace, where the foundations of many friendships are built.
Pros
Very accommodating with scheduling.
Great place to work, great benefits
Overnight Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 18, 2018
Kroger is a great place to work as far as benefits are concerned. Some of the people are the most amazing people you habe ever met. They are very good anout working with your schedule and needs.
Benefits
Cons
Enviroment
productive workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSJuly 2, 2018
I loved my job working at Dillon's. I loved my customers and everything. It was a great job, it was a great place to work for the atmosphere was good. The managers and FES leaders were always helpful if I needed any help.
Very Poor
Cashier Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 27, 2018
They say in their ads, "Competitive pay", but they rarely gave raises. A cashier was making $3 more than me while we had the same work experience. I went and talked to management three times and it was never changed. The store manager never learned my name after a year and a half.
Cons
Short breaks, Low hours, low pay
fun job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 22, 2018
a typicl day at work was staying ver y busy and working in more than one area at a time. I really like dealing with the custoemrs in the store and have a ggod relationship with all the customers
Dillons
Dairy, Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 7, 2018
Rough place to work. Most days you did 2 or 3 jobs even as management. Loved my co-workers and my team we always pushed through no matter what happened.
A fine place to work if you need a job, but it won't make ends meet
Money Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 4, 2018
A typical day at work had spurts of activity, and slow points, just like many retail jobs. There were plenty of tasks to be done to keep busy, and I never found any of them particularly unpleasant except for the selling of lottery tickets and money orders, both of which are routinely used to trick innocent people out of their money.

I learned quite a few skills, and about how a grocery retailer operates. It helps now, when I'm doing my own shopping to know what days certain things will be delivered, and at what times of the year things will be available.

The workplace culture leaves something to be desired. Upon being hired, I was put through the same old "corporatey" videos I had been put through countless times before. It really makes the company seem insincere to the employee, and sets a bad tone right off the bat. Rather than telling an employee they should be "loyal" Big Brother, it would be more effective to show them WHY they should be loyal to your company. Start with better benefits and better wages, ala Costco or Aldis.

The hardest part of the job, by far, is the queueing system that's in place to ensure the efficiency of the registers. Overseeing them and being "graded" on what arbitrary number you get- especially during a very busy rush- is needlessly stressful. I understand the need to make the lines at the register go as quickly and smoothly as they can, but grading and reprimanding your employees when their scores are off? It's bad for morale. In the same vein, timing the cashiers, and disciplining them or doling out less hours if their times are too
  more... high is also bad for morale. Seems corporate should just make all the registers automated with robot arms and the like if they are really so concerned with shaving off 15 seconds from a transaction. In my opinion, that whole system needs to be overhauled and reevaluated.

The most enjoyable part of the job in money services was definitely getting to hop from one task to the next, and becoming so quick and knowledgeable in so many different skills. It kept the day busy and interesting. Another enjoyable aspect was getting to see some of the sweet, regulars we'd get coming in. They always had nice things to say, and made the day a little brighter.

I will say, the uniforms are atrocious. Not so much the colors, but the materials they're made from. If you're going to provide red polos, at least make them comfortable. Soft, cotton. Not scratchy polyester or whatever they're made of. If you're going to institute a uniform policy, then what's provided should be comfortable to wear. Otherwise your employees are miserable wearing them, and can't wait till they can take them off. Also, a soft cotton polo looks nicer and more professional than some thick, cheap, scratchy blend.

One more suggestion:

Your Marketplace stores are massive, and most of them only have one break location on a far end of the store. It should not take your employees a good 5 minutes of their 15 minute breaktime just to get to a quiet secluded place where they can sit and relax for all of 5 minutes before using the last 5 minutes of their break to trek all the way back to their department. It's not fair to them, and it encourages many employees to skip their breaks, and that starts to get into some fishy legal waters.

I propose you install more breakrooms throughout those big stores for some of your employees, such as the pharmacists or the stockers, who work so very far from the one breakroom. It should take less than a minute for them to put away what they were doing and walk into their breakroom. That way they get the full benefit of their 15 minutes, and they're refreshed and ready to go. It's also such a great morale booster. Having a quiet space where you can take a moment to yourself during a long shift is so important.

So that's my dollar and change.

I hope his feedback is helpful, and that some positive changes are made. I like the Kroger brand, and consistently shop there as a non-employee. But I recognize that some improvements could be made. I hope they come soon.

Pros
Lots to do and learn, flexible hours, clean work environment
Cons
Itchy uniforms, timed transactions negatively affecting employees, etc.
it was ok
Bagger and Stocker (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 28, 2018
it is a great place to work at if you are retired or you know someone if not it is really hard to move up. And i get no benfits working here like i cant support myself working here.
Pros
meet new poeple
Cons
not good pay, not enough hours
Easy to do
Carry Out (Former Employee) –  Arkansas city KansasMarch 9, 2018
This was a good first job but i could not provide for my family. The people are friendly and the customers are too. I did not like going out when a bad storm was in progress because of the lightning strikes.
Pros
Talked with customers and it was an easy job
Great interveiw
Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 28, 2018
It was great the manangent was great I worked stocking day and night.. The works where friendly and hard working. Everyone worked together other than trying to do things on there own.. I had a great experiences at Dillon's and would love to work there again
good experience
Fuel Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 23, 2018
my typical day at dillons consist of working hard and keeping customers happy. making sure I took my lunches on time and meeting the customers needs. ive learned a lot from dillons especially teamwork.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
never could leave work on time. bad communication.
n/a
Assistant Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 22, 2018
I always enjoyed working for Dillons. I loved working closely with my co-workers but even more than that, I enjoyed the customers that came in. It was stressful at times but I always enjoyed what I did while I was there. The only reason that I left was due to the hours. I couldn't handle working until midnight and then having to be back at 5am sometimes.