Direct Brands, Inc Employee Reviews

Business model no longer profitable
Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2017
The negative option business model on which this company was built was no longer profitable. The owners could not figure out how to reverse that. Therefore, layoffs were common. Work atmosphere was generally not positive.
Company does not exist anymore.
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAApril 26, 2017
Work was challenging and had a great staff. Technology hurt the book business and company experienced a lot of down sizing.
Parent company created subsidiaries and Direct Brands was eventually dissolved.
Out of Business
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMarch 5, 2017
This company is no longer in business; therefore, there is no input to provide. Because 20 words are required, I will just say that I stayed at this job too long.
Was a Wonderful Company
Assistant Director of Database Marketing (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYDecember 22, 2016
Direct Brands was a great place to work. However, they sell books, CDs, and movies which are going away due to technology. They downsized and are very small now.
Pros
People and Environment
Cons
Downsizing
A rewarding 25 plus year job experience
Supervisor/Trainer/Lead/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJune 28, 2016
Direct Brands formerly Book of the Month Club provided their employees with a formal training to perform the job requirement in a relaxed yet professional environment. My tenure there was enriched by the workshops, training and encouraging management staff. Their benefit package was one of the best in the area. A truly rewarding experience.
This company, unfortunately is no longer in existence. A decision was made to sell the division which resulted in its parts being sold to different companies.
Greatest place to work
Production Supervisor - Promotion Production Dept (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYDecember 8, 2015
Learned how to deal with deadlines and schedules, coworkers were some of the best people I have ever met, when I got laid off was the hardest part for me
Experience
Book Club Editor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2015
The best job I ever had. My schedule was from 9am-5pm, I learned the use of many software, a different job ebvironment and how the job was always done with the help of a large team. The management was very nice, and supportive with me. The employees from other departments always show the unity in the job. My co-workers was very supportive and how we use to help each other. The hardest part I can say that my position was not full time, I was hired through an agency. The most enjoyable is that I was working with 2 lovely ladies, and that we were serving to the hispanic community.
Pros
Very nice environment to work
Cons
Decent working environment, good pay, and benefits.
Label Processor (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAOctober 13, 2014
I worked in numerous departments at this company, gaining knowledge and experience with computers and various packing machines. My main duty was as label processor, where I was able to work fairly independently, sorting labels for hand-packed and machine-packaged book orders. I also worked in picking, packing, inventory, and helped feed books into the shrink-wrap machine. Overall, it was a positive experience, until we were laid off in 2009.
Pros
Ability to work independently, to work various jobs to gain experience.
Cons
Middle management could be difficult to work with at times.
Good place to work long ago
Director of Enterprise Architecture (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2014
Downsizing on a regular basis. Company keeps being sold again and again.
Wonderful place to work with bookstore selling everything
Senior Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2013
My work at the company was hard. There were few of us at the beginning of my career and a lot of work to get done. We became a bigger group when we bought a large book club and another small book publisher. The amount of copy editors swelled but the work continued to be massive. I enjoy working and having a lot of work sometimes created overtime which I usually did. There were about 35 book clubs at one point. When we were taken over by a music and dvd company, we were whittled down to about 25 clubs and half the copy editors. The deadlines were still there but the work tripled. I still enjoyed going to work every day. Then we were moved from Long Island to NY. The commute doubled and the pay was cut. Finally after working for 21 years, my whole department was let go. They felt that it didn't matter if there were mistakes because no one cared. They didn't see the letters that came in complaining if a fact was wrong or something was misspelled. I truly enjoyed fact checking, but in the last three years I worked there, that was stopped. The cutting of corners here and there made the job seem not so important. That truly was the hardest thing to swallow. We, who had always done our best to make the written word as perfect as we could, were told to just get it out by the deadline no matter what. Then management decided that we weren't needed. That was a very sad day.
Pros
Good healthcare, bookstore, nice working conditions, family atmosphere
Cons
Healthcare worsened, bookstore closed, pay cuts, no raises
Fantastic
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAOctober 22, 2013
During the years of working for Direct Brands, Inc. each day was a new experience with new tasks to learn and projects to complete. The management staff were enjoyable. I enjoyed the everyday challenges.
Great company
Sr. Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Worked remotely from home officeAugust 25, 2013
Loved my job and working with internal and external customers. I learned how to setup new campaigns and perform program management.
Learned a lot and had a great time in the process
Production Supervisor/Promotion Production (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJune 19, 2013
This was an amazing place to work. Met a lot of great people some who are still in contact. A very busy company with lots of multi-tasking taking place. My coworkers were the best especially in my department. We were/are a family.
Enjoyable place to work where I was able to gain valuable experience
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMarch 14, 2013
Daily job included interacting with agents on team, and fellow supervisors and management. Over the years, I was able to gain valuable experience and skills in the area of training and development of agents, creating business related correspondence and manuals, running a team as well as learning proper businee etiquette. My coworkers were wonderful people, and we were always pulling in the same direction to ensure the success of company initiatives. The hardest part was the ever-changing directives and initiatives from management. However, I viewed these changes as a challenge. The most enjoyable part of my job was the various opportunities I had to travel, including a trip to Mexico City.
Pros
flexible hours, wonderful people to work with
Distributor for Book-of-the-Month club
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAFebruary 28, 2013
I was part of a third-shift team running machinery for billing inserts for the Book-of-the-Month club. I learned how to troubleshoot insert machines for quality assurance. The hardest part of the job was the noise of the machinery. The most enjoyable part of the job was the independence to troubleshoot and make adjustments to machinery.
Fast paced
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PaDecember 24, 2012
Most days go by very fast due to the amount of calls taken.

I had never worked in a call center environment, it was very interesting to see the ins and outs.

The management was extremely nice, my family had an health emergency and they never made me feel like taking off was a problem to be by my family's side.

Most the co-workers were helpful and very knowledgeable of their jobs.

Hardest part of the job and most rewarding for me was getting an enraged caller that you had to try to calm down and create a resolution that both the caller and the company were happy with.
Pros
discount merchandise
Cons
stress
Productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg PaDecember 12, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job was, the company bookstore available to employees only. The hardest part of the job was mandatory upselling customers.
Pros
free books
Cons
very strict dress codes
was a great place to spend 19 years of my life
Scanner Operator/data entry clerk (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 25, 2012
The people that worked at direct brands INC were all very friendly and i dont have anything bad to say about any of them.Its just to bad that the company shut down. I miss everyone that i worked with.
Pros
people
Cons
company closed
The best job I ever had.
Web QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 27, 2012
I loved BMG/Columbia House/Doubleday Books/Direct Brands and was there for over 20 years before being laid off due to plant closure and outsourcing of my position to other countries.

I started out as a Customer Service Representative and worked my way up to a QA Analyst during my tenure.
Pros
great benefits, good pay, a good learning environment.
Sporadic workload
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJune 16, 2012
Interacting with customers and helping them resolve problems is rewarding. However, many days the call volume is light and there is no work.